Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well here we go fellow Sox fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This board has been pretty quiet lately up until this Arod fiasco and to tell you the truth I thought we were in for a tough season but with Arod not being 100% I think that evens things up a little.

Lets get started on the pro's & cons of this years team....

I LOVE Youk, Lester & Pedroia being locked up in long term deals- its great to see our "products" develop into full time key guys.

Youk by the way has been hitting some bombs in world play mind you...

Looks like Lowell is going to give it a go so lets hope his body is ready for the season and he can be that productive hitter we need him to be.

Papi? Im not sure what to expect, Drew is singing the same old tune so no suprise there- a horrible signing although his Grand slam was key to our World Series campain of 2007. Lugo? Ugly SS scene to be expected but you know what? I respect him because at least he is out there as much as he can and doesnt play the injury game. Pitching hopefully will be a strong point as it looks.

So lets get started early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pitching will be the difference-maker for the Sox this year. They'll likely not win without stellar performances from the likes of Beckett, Matsuzaka, and the entire bullpen.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    You will be once again battling the Yanks for the wildcard. Good luck with that.

Sincerely
    The Rays
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul

Glad to see the thread cranked up again. I agree with all you wrote. I think Aroid is gonna be out longer than predicted, I understand he will eventually need additional surgery at the end of the season if not before. Could be 3rd base for them is really gonna be a weak spot.

As for the Red Sox, was happy to see Timlin gone. I don't understand the Lugo thing, but they know better than I...Drew of course is just a super drag and again singing the same old song, I'm sure they'll try to unload him. If Ortiz can really get cranked up and Tek gets his bat in gear, I think we have a real good shot at the whole thing.

Hope the snow has finally melted for you. We had 4 inches here two weeks ago, you'd think it was 3 feet, people went crazy.

Batter up!!

Al
  • Options
    3 way horse race between the Yanks, sox, and rays. should be fun to watch.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope to see ya in the Series. image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny to see Pedro & Schilling looking for work...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    cant wait!!!!

LET SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS!
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see this thread get started!

I do not think Lester is locked up long term yet. Hopefully soon.

The pitching looks very strong, especially the bullpen. Hopefully Tek will have a decent year, it is tough having him struggle so much all the time.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I do not think Lester is locked up long term yet. Hopefully soon.
    . >>

He just signed a 5? year deal.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Phillies fan, and in my office we have a die-hard Yankees fan who insists that the Phils will be handing that WS trophy over to the Yanks in about 7-1/2 months.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a Phillies fan, and in my office we have a die-hard Yankees fan who insists that the Phils will be handing that WS trophy over to the Yanks in about 7-1/2 months. >>

Around here we dont call that optimistic, we call it a typical Yankees fan
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not think Lester is locked up long term yet. Hopefully soon. >>

<< <i>He just signed a 5? year deal >>

Last I heard that deal was not yet done. They signed him to a 1 year deal yesterday.

• Options

<< <i>

Last I heard that deal was not yet done. They signed him to a 1 year deal yesterday. >>

the extension is not yet official, but is in the works. Framework is there.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I feel good about this team for the most part. It's definitely a B+ or A- team.

I like them at 1B, 2B, LF, CF, and DH (I think) this year. I'm okay with them at SS (I like Lowrie's defense and I think his hitting is adequate) and I think Drew will be Drew again. I'm concerned about Varitek's hitting and whoever catches for Wakefield. I love their starting pitching, relievers and the closer. And I think we've got great depth in the minors.

I'd like to see them get off to a hot start while A-Rod is sidelined.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Last I heard that deal was not yet done. They signed him to a 1 year deal yesterday. >>

the extension is not yet official, but is in the works. Framework is there. >>

My bad, but by the way ESPN had been talking about it, it seemed as though it'd been done. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Ahh...the thread I waited for is back!!!
    Welcome back boys!
    I can't wait to see the Sox on TV again. We haven't planned a trip yet, but will get to Fenway sometime this summer.

Bob....
  • Options
    I think the reason we will be in the playoffs and either the Yankees or Rays won't is because we have
    gritty, character ballplayers.

I know, you stat guys can't stand that word character, but I'll take guys like Youkilis, Pedroia, Papelbon, and Beckett, who
    will fight every pitch for you, then some pretty boys that other teams have.

We've got a core group of guys that will grind it out for the whole season. They hate to lose. Now some of them just got some
    sweet cash, so I hope they still play hard even though they're a lot richer.

We'll be there in October.

Sincerely,
    The Truth
  • Options
    redsox.com just announced the Lester deal is official. Congrats to Lester!
  • Options

<< <i>redsox.com just announced the Lester deal is official. Congrats to Lester! >>

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be shocked if the Rays repeat in the AL East - last year they just had "one of those seasons" when everything went right, and I expect them to be a 3rd or 4th place team this season - and it's a very easy call.
  • Options
    talks with Jason Bay about a contract extension have failed. Maybe later? Bay likely wanted a bunch of years, the Sox not so much. Should give Boston time to see how Holliday does outside of hitter-friendly Coors Field
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be shocked if the Rays repeat in the AL East - last year they just had "one of those seasons" when everything went right, and I expect them to be a 3rd or 4th place team this season - and it's a very easy call. >>

Unfortunately, I'm a realist and tend to agree with you. Everything fell into place last year and was one of the most memorable seasons in baseball history. To guarantee a repeat in the AL East is something that can simply not be done (if you're sane).

The AL East is a sick, sick joke of a division, considering there are 3 (maybe 4) teams that could win almost any other division in baseball. That's why when calling them "a 3rd or 4th place team this season", you must put it in perspective.

Good luck to the rest of the division.
  • Options
    I'm going to differ in my opinions recently expressed about the Rays. Tampa has the starting and relief pitching necessary for the long haul. I expect they will compete at the 90 wins-plus level again.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going to differ in my opinions recently expressed about the Rays. Tampa has the starting and relief pitching necessary for the long haul. I expect they will compete at the 90 wins-plus level again. >>

I'm not saying we can't compete, but it'd be stupid to be overly optimistic on repeating in the AL East this year. And unfortunately, 90 wins might put you in 3rd place in the East. JMO.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bard placed on waivers, so who is the backup catcher?
  • Options
    Kottaras was named the backup/knuckleball catcher. He was out of options and he's like 5 or 6 years younger than Bard. From what I've read, he catches the knuckleball way better than Bard did too.
  • Options

<< <i>Kottaras was named the backup/knuckleball catcher. He was out of options and he's like 5 or 6 years younger than Bard. From what I've read, he catches the knuckleball way better than Bard did too. >>

more power at bat also, plus he's impressed the Sox with his throwing. Of course, next to Varitek, my dead grandma is an impressive thrower
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You will be once again battling the Yanks for the wildcard. Good luck with that.

Sincerely
    The Rays >>

Hey, the wild card was good enough to win the World Series back in 2004. image And yes, my wife is very excited about the defending AL Runner-Up this year! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Kottaras was named the backup/knuckleball catcher. He was out of options and he's like 5 or 6 years younger than Bard. From what I've read, he catches the knuckleball way better than Bard did too. >>

I think i could catch it better than Bard did, he just made Wake so uncomfortable too

Oh and GO SOX
  • Options
    An news on Youk? What gets me angry about the situation is he said his achilles was bothering him before the injury- my question is why didnt he shut it down if it was a concern? Hopefully he will be good to go, the opener is getting close!

Nice to see Pedroia all set.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Kind of interesting that after a quick look around, I could find no "2009 Yankees win anything" thread.

Great to see everyone from Sox threads past - let's hope this thread is full of good news all season long. image
  • Options
    In Honor of Curt Schilling retiring- a HUGE thank You from RED SOX NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>An news on Youk? What gets me angry about the situation is he said his achilles was bothering him before the injury- my question is why didnt he shut it down if it was a concern? Hopefully he will be good to go, the opener is getting close! >>

Youk is a fighter. He's gonna play until someone finally steps in and says no.
  • Options
    if today's performance is any indication, it looks to me like Clay Buchholz has pitched his way back in to the starting rotation for the Sox. Should be Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Buchholz, and Wakefield if things go the way Spring training seems to be indicating. Penny and Smoltz can take their time getting well.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this situation with Buchholz. At the very least, I think the Red Sox have to give him a shot at a starting spot in the rotation. I don't know about all the contract stuff and it might be easier from an organizational viewpoint to send Buchholz to AAA than to have Penny sitting in the bullpen, but if the Sox have plans to trade Buchholz at some point this season it seems like it would be a good idea to showcase his talent again. I know a lot of people think of the no-hitter when they think of Buchholz, but I can't imagine I'm the only person out there that now thinks more about his 2-9 record last season and his 6.75 to go with it than the brilliant game he pitched in 2007.

My early prediction is that the Sox give him a shot this spring but package him with a minor leaguer and ship him off to Oakland for Matt Holliday (but only if they can work out an extension with Holliday) before the trade deadline this summer.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been thinking about this situation with Buchholz. At the very least, I think the Red Sox have to give him a shot at a starting spot in the rotation. I don't know about all the contract stuff and it might be easier from an organizational viewpoint to send Buchholz to AAA than to have Penny sitting in the bullpen, but if the Sox have plans to trade Buchholz at some point this season it seems like it would be a good idea to showcase his talent again. I know a lot of people think of the no-hitter when they think of Buchholz, but I can't imagine I'm the only person out there that now thinks more about his 2-9 record last season and his 6.75 to go with it than the brilliant game he pitched in 2007.

My early prediction is that the Sox give him a shot this spring but package him with a minor leaguer and ship him off to Oakland for Matt Holliday (but only if they can work out an extension with Holliday) before the trade deadline this summer. >>

<< <i>if today's performance is any indication, it looks to me like Clay Buchholz has pitched his way back in to the starting rotation for the Sox. Should be Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Buchholz, and Wakefield if things go the way Spring training seems to be indicating. Penny and Smoltz can take their time getting well. >>

If it goes that way where's Masterson, in the pen? It's certainly a nice option to have all those arms. The one year contracts could end up being a REAL bargain!
  • Options
    Theo is still Buchholz's number one fan. Believes he can be all that and a bag of chips. I see Buchholz getting a bonafide shot at the starting five this year...with no July 31 expiration date.
  • Options
    I hope you're right. According to Boston.com they announced Beckett, Lester, Dice K, Wake and the 5th is still open with Masterson working out of the pen.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the venerable words of Terry Francona, "Just when you think you have enough pitching, that's the time to go out and get more!" image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pedro is available (on the cheap?). He pitched well in the WBC - not a bad insurance policy.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I thought I read somewhere that Pedro's agents contacted the Sox and the Sox said thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back if it was affordable.
  • Options
    Anyone else pi$$ed that the season is NOT starting today!
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone else pi$$ed that the season is NOT starting today! >>

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Options
    I think this thread would be more enjoyable if entitled "Red Sox get the runs thread". Then we could simply laugh about how Full Of Crap the Red Sux fans are. image
  • Options
    Yet another useless post from you. Back away from Daddy's computer.
  • Options
    Yep, all the kids my age are big George Brett fans.

In keeping with this Red-Sox-get-the-runs thread, I suggest you change your name to BottomLeakage. image
  • Options
    Perhaps you could change yours to FanofScat then.
  • Options
    Ahh...jealousy....image
  • Options
    lets face it, what do Royals fans have to cheer about? a potential 3rd place finish?