Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Until the Sox SS makes up for that whiff with the bases loaded, he's Jed Lousy for me. >>

But honestly, would Lugo have done any different?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Until the Sox SS makes up for that whiff with the bases loaded, he's Jed Lousy for me. >>

But honestly, would Lugo have done any different? >>

Orlando Cabrera would have! I don't think Theo has done well with SS and RF for the Sox.
  • Options
    Almost makes you wonder what would have been had we not traded Hanley Ramirez for Beckett and Lowell...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost makes you wonder what would have been had we not traded Hanley Ramirez for Beckett and Lowell... >>

The Sox would not have won the 2007 World Series. Would be nice to get Hanley back though.

Jed hits so poorly left handed, he should try staying on the right side.
  • Options
    Quick read about Tek. I have to agree with it 100% Tek needs to quit hitting Lefty.

Switch Hitters
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I wish he would at least try going exclusively right handed. It's worth a shot.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Man the Rays own Dice K
  • Options
    maybe Jed Lousy needs to stop hitting lefty too. Last night a K with the bases loaded. Today a repeat performance with tying run in scoring position.
  • Options
    Lowrie has left a small village on the basepaths already this year. I miss OC!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

But honestly, would Lugo have done any different? >>

YES hit into a double play
  • Options
    Red Sox in last place? Say it ain't so -- and pass me a bowl of chowduh ... image
  • Options

<< <i>Red Sox in last place? Say it ain't so -- and pass me a bowl of chowduh ... image >>

TROLL Alert
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From humble beginnings...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Scott Kazmir added a nice new changeup. If his control is good, he will be tough to beat first time around until hitters adjust.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott Kazmir added a nice new changeup. If his control is good, he will be tough to beat first time around until hitters adjust. >>

Kazmir has, and always will be, a Red Sox killer when he is healthy. Would be nice if the Mets kept him out of the AL.
  • Options
    I may not have to stay up too late to watch this game tonight...Wakefield is walking plenty and getting lit up when he delivers a strike. Sox will need to hit with men on base for a change if they hope to come back from an early 3-0 deficit
  • Options
    so the Sox plate one and then Wakefield pitches a clean inning. Looks like they just suckered me in for the long haul
  • Options
    I stayed up until the end! image
  • Options
    Red Sox even deeper in the well? Nice to see them lookin' up at the rest of the AL East. Hey, pass me yet another bowl of chowduh ... image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    trollin trollin trollin, fan390 keep on trollin RAWHIDE!

Lets get back in the groove gents!!!

LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Red Sox even deeper in the well? Nice to see them lookin' up at the rest of the AL East. Hey, pass me yet another bowl of chowduh ... image >>

Im not sure what is more funny this moron talking about us deeper in the hole during the very first week of the season or his joke of a club the Royals image
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Paperboy gets the save after Kendrick fouls off seven pitches. Red Sox 5-4 over the Angels.
  • Options
    A W is a W! I was Rippin' when Hunter took Pap's yard.. He came through though!
  • Options
    All I have to say is thank God for Jason Bay!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice win!! I have never seen 7 foul balls in a row under those circumstances.
    Looked like Baldelli almost dropped the ball for the final out.
  • Options
    Wow..Paps really worked for that one. Nice win though, and Varitek even got a hit!
  • Options
    Back to Back JACKS!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Yea lets strand a few more runners on base- no big deal image
  • Options
    Big Poopie ran his average up to .200 today...watch out!
  • Options

<< <i>Big Poopie ran his average up to .200 today...watch out! >>

Kevin you should stick to French Horn play, your Fantasy Baseball drafting skills are about as pathetic as you are.
  • Options

<< <i>

Kevin you should stick to French Horn play, your Fantasy Baseball drafting skills are about as pathetic as you are. >>

It was an auto draft and I landed NO Phillies, but did get Beckett and Papi. Believe me I tried to trade them the first week, no one was giving up Phillies!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Kevin you should stick to French Horn play, your Fantasy Baseball drafting skills are about as pathetic as you are. >>

It was an auto draft and I landed NO Phillies, but did get Beckett and Papi. Believe me I tried to trade them the first week, no one was giving up Phillies!

JS >>

Kevin you should stick to French Horn play, your Fantasy Baseball drafting skills are about as pathetic as you are.

• Options
    Sox leave 10 on base, not the way to win a game. Drew chokes again when needed most, in spite of his HR, I think he's waaaaaaay over paid and waaaaaaaay under-performing in the clutch, like the 9th inning. Time for the GM to take a hard look at moving him elsewhere. Yesterday's game is the kind that comes back to haunt you when the season tightens in September. Beckett was a fool to have thrown the ball over Abreu as he did. He's lucky none of the Angels whackos didn't get ahold of him and do some serious damage. Beckett could easily have tossed the ball to complete his follow through, but smokin the ball like he did only brings on what took place.

Sox in a funk they need to figure out, and get some key hits when opportunity presents itself. Ortiz needs to figure out what he isn't doing, although he did get 2 hits, he's not anywhere near as sharp as he once was.

Let's see what they can do in Oakland.
  • Options

<< <i>Beckett was a fool to have thrown the ball over Abreu as he did. >>

Actually considering some of the pitchers we've had in the past (Clemens, Pedro) I think Beckett was quite refined.
  • Options
    What Beckett did yesterday has NADA to do with any Red Sox pitcher prior to that game. What Beckett did yesterday was stupid and clearly provocative. That you would compare Beckett's actions to Clemens or Martinez is just silly and misses the point. I think Beckett is a bit of a hot head and when things aren't going his way, he tends to lash out and act like a jerk.
  • Options

<< <i>What Beckett did yesterday has NADA to do with any Red Sox pitcher prior to that game. What Beckett did yesterday was stupid and clearly provocative. That you would compare Beckett's actions to Clemens or Martinez is just silly and misses the point. I think Beckett is a bit of a hot head and when things aren't going his way, he tends to lash out and act like a jerk. >>

I watched the game, and it was clear to me that the pitch was an errant throw resulting from time being called by Abreau in the middle of Beckett's delivery. Now Beckett DID wait too long to pitch and should have stepped off the rubber, but the throw at Abreau was NOT intentional. However, he SHOULD have immediately apologized to Abreau, instead of getting mad at him for calling time.

That being said, Soscia (sp?) acted like a total ass and knew very well that Beckett was not head-hunting.
  • Options

<< <i>Sox leave 10 on base, not the way to win a game. Drew chokes again when needed most, in spite of his HR, I think he's waaaaaaay over paid and waaaaaaaay under-performing in the clutch, like the 9th inning. Time for the GM to take a hard look at moving him elsewhere. . >>

Excellent, now Drew will hit .400 in May. image
  • Options
    I watched the game, and it was clear to me that the pitch was an errant throw resulting from time being called by Abreau in the middle of Beckett's delivery. Now Beckett DID wait too long to pitch and should have stepped off the rubber, but the throw at Abreau was NOT intentional. However, he SHOULD have immediately apologized to Abreau, instead of getting mad at him for calling time.

That being said, Soscia (sp?) acted like a total ass and knew very well that Beckett was not head-hunting.

I don't see how it was an "errant" throw, Beckett is a professional pitcher, it's what he does, he could easily have controlled the pitch a lot better than he did. Let us keep in mind that Abreu may have called for a time out, but only the umpire allows the time out, NOT the batter. IMO Abreu got tired of waiting and wanted to regroup, thus the call for a time out. I absolutely agree with you that Beckett should have immediately apologized to Abreu, but, what did he do? He all but challenged Abreu as he began to walk towards him in a less than pleasant manner. Even Remy remarked "I don't balme Abreu for being upset over that pitch", and he said it more than once.

I also agree that Scosia aked like a jerk, as did the other 3 who appeared to be hell bent on whippin Beckett's %ss. Could be some venting there because of the recent death of their pitcher.

You don't have to be a great lip-reader to see Beckett's frustration on the mound, particularly after the 3rd out. I think Beckett has some anger issues and has a hard time dealing with a poor pitching performance. This may well carry over to the next visit the Sox make to the Angels in May, and perhaps Fenway as well.

-------------------------
  • Options
    I love how we just sweep the problems under the rug...

Lowrie to DL
  • Options
    Lester sucks again tonight. At least he has company (Sox batters other than Youkilis). The team needs a boot in the rear
  • Options
    Did Nomah actually go yard against you guys? OUCH

Big Poopie raised his average going 1 for 4 tonight! Can we just get it over with and crown the Rays AL East Champs?
  • Options
    I guess it could of been worse...you might of had to roll Youk out to the mound to throw an inning!

JS
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Yeah, Lester got beat up tonight, but I was really impressed with his ability to shake off that one bad inning and still go out there and do everything he could to keep the game within striking distance. It didn't end up helping because the offense couldn't manage to score, but I appreciate the effort nonetheless.
  • Options
    what an ugly, ugly affair so far. It's official: Lester looks terrible, Matsuzaka looks terrible, Beckett looks up and down like last year, and they have a few "hitters" who seemingly can't hit. The race in the AL East is a sprint, regardless that the season is six months long, and the Sox are still in the blocks. This must be what it feels like to be a Pirates fan, except Pirates fans get this every year, all year. Yuck. So how will Sox brass get the team playing well? A trade? Fire someone? Or just the Francona standby method of waiting the players out?
  • Options
    At least Masterson looked brilliant in the 2nd....trying to be positive!
  • Options
    Masterson has decent velocity and movement tonight. I think he sees this as an opportunity to show off his stuff "as a starter" and wants to take full advantage of it. Something must be physically wrong with Matsuzaka, maybe something from WBC overuse?

I try not to be positive or negative, just realistic and call it as I see it. Always a fan, but always a realist.
  • Options
    WTF! Anyone else see that non-chalant "attempt" by JD Blew to field an easy one hopper? What a waste of money. Seventy million dollars for one good month last year and a grand slam in 2007
  • Options
    Hey Big Poopie....

WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I want to write this before the 9th starts...despite some massive sucking by Matsuzaka, it has turned into a good game. Great job by the bullpen. A few hits with RISP for a change too.

Pedroia and Ortiz have sucked at bat
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I agree - the bullpen performed really well today. When your starter can't make it two innings and then your pen holds the other team scoreless for 10 innings you're doing okay. The end result wasn't good (again) but I'm still seing some positives with this team to help balance out a lot of the negatives that are pretty apparent at this point.