Home Sports Talk

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: a short Yankee series in the playoffs...let us remember that in 2004 the Yankees had us on the ropes big time and beat us in Fenway on a dreary Saturday night by 19-8. It was a brutal beatdown (my cousin was at the game and told me how bad it was). At that point the Red Sox were beyond ICU life-support status, they already were at the cemetary. THEN it was 8-0 and a WS title. Point is, never give up till we are mathematically out. Whatever Theo has done, or not done is all moot, we got what we got and have to play the hand we have.

I say hang in and let's see how it goes. I still believe we have a good shot at the whole thing, but first things first. If we can get a bit more space between us and the Rangers, I suspect Tito will mix up the lineup and get some playing time in for the bench players. I don't think our pitching is that bad, more of a failure to get key hits with RISP situations....far too many LOB not capitalized upon.

While pitchers like Halladay may have been on the block, the asking price may well have been astronomical, as with others. Remember, DiceK may be the sleeper here, he's moving back up the line. If we can get him back to "normal", he could be key to some big wins.

Keep the faith, it's far, far from ovah.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Lester on the hill tonight....hope he stays on a roll!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    weather sucked last night (Lester no doubt thankful for the rain getting him out of a first inning jam) and sucks again today. Maybe a Sunday triple header is in store!
    Newsflash...Beckett finally wins #15. Even though it was only 5 innings he looked pretty sharp. It's even better that Texas lost too!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubleheader today. Too bad NFL is starting up though, I will be watching that instead image

Go Sox!!! Hopefully we can get these two wins and start to roll-lets secure that WILDCARD!
    Thankfully there's picture in picture so I could watch the Bucs/Cowboys and the Sox.
    Nice effort by the pitching staff for sure. Hopefully we'll have Lester put them out of their misery in the nightcap!
    Another nice and big win today...a win in the nightcap would be even nicer! I hope Lester is on his game. Looks like flood city in Dallas for the Rangers/Mariners series, could be a few double headers for them.

Well, do to a rather serious mishap I had with my tablesaw this past Thursday, I'll be around till next Sunday. I managed to put a pretty good buzz on my right pinky finger, blood galore and a dash to the ER. Unable to sew up the gash at the end of my finger, (nothing to sew up, I just cut it deep and wide), I sit here bandaged and hoping this thing heals enough to not be a problem for my trip. Fortunately, the two major reservations I made in Canada were kind enough to move me up by a week. I am most amazed at the total lack of pain...just hope it heals soon! Respect those running blades!!! I was in such a panic to get to the ER that my kitchen floor looked like a CSI crime scene when I got home...I had run inside to get a small towel to wrap my finger and was obvlious to where the blood was flying. I was lucky to miss any bone, but not by much...a serious OUCH moment!!

Will be back just in time to catch the last half of the Cleveland series and the end of the season.
    Glad you are okay Al, but sorry about the mishap. Don't you know you should have adult supervision when using machinery? image

Nice Sweep by the boys. I have to admit I love seeing the Rays sent packing. It was brutal listening to their announcers this serious. They always complain and today the complaint was Boston has a deeper bench because they have more money for September callups. image
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Pretty psyched to see we're finally starting to wake up. Started to renew my confidence going into the playoffs.
  • Just came across this ridiculous article of what the Sox allegedly offered for Roy Halladay.

You've got to be kidding!

<< <i>Just came across this ridiculous article of what the Sox allegedly offered for Roy Halladay.

image >>

that's fabricated. The Sox would not offer both Bard and Buchholz to anyone unless they had an ace under long term control for cheap money coming back.
  • Al - wow, man! Don't you know saw blades are sharp?

I'm glad it wasn't more serious though!

<< <i>Al - wow, man! Don't you know saw blades are sharp?

I'm glad it wasn't more serious though! >>

Ditto that!!!!!

Geeez Al hopefully your finger heals up soon for the trip, glad it wasnt worse.

BTW- I am sloooooowly strating to renew my hopes for bigger things than the wildcard image
  • paul they aint gonna catch the yankees. The wild card has treated you very well the past few seasons. embrace your destiny.
    Thanks guys on the saw thing. I'm 99.9999++% always aware of spinning blades, etc and before the incident, I had already made at least 15 cuts. After each of these cuts I turned off the motor and lowered the blade (like I always do)into the housing, "so I wouldn't get cut". Well, I reached across this board to move the rip fence and whacko. It happened in a nano second, truly a horrible feeling to know the end of your finger is toasted and know it's waaaay beyond a bandaid situation. Basically, I ripped off my fingerprint area about a 1/4" wide and maybe a 1/8" deep. I am still most amazed at the total lack of any pain. My BP at the ER was a sky-rocket 193/105. I'm ok now though.

Red Sox doing well, the bats have woken up, let's hope Dicek has a good outing.

Keep da faith, we're in good shape for the WC!!

Thanks again.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just came across this ridiculous article of what the Sox allegedly offered for Roy Halladay.

image >>

that's fabricated. The Sox would not offer both Bard and Buchholz to anyone unless they had an ace under long term control for cheap money coming back. >>

I agree. My understanding was that they agreed to part with Bard or Bucky, but not both, plus a couple lower prospects, and I think that did not even include Bowden. Obvisously that did not "wow" the Toronto GM, and nor should it have.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Al I hope the finger heals fast. I cut my finger on a rusty bolt once and it was ugly, blood
    shooting out but you are right didn't really hurt that bad it was just the sight that got me
    all worked up.
    Didn't watch much of anything this weekend but stayed on top with the HL and Facebook
    friends updating me. Good job this weekend I hope this continues right through to the
    end of the season especially Bucky. Hopefully Dice K can get on track and now all of the sudden I like
    my chances in a short series with the Yankees.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Al,

Sorry about your finger. Hope it heals fast. But from your point of view, at the least the Red Sox won twice and you picked up a game on my Rangers. Four game lead may be really tough to overcome....

At least you have the Angels coming up. Wouldn't mind seeing a sweep in either direction.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Matt...I know how disappointing it can be to see things not going in the right direction for your team. Four games may be a bit too much to overcome given the schedule and remaining games. If the lead increases to 5 or 6, I think it becomes all but unreachable. The Red Sox are playing almost .600 ball, or IOW, winning 6 out of 10 games. The Rangers are closer to .550 ball (.563), which tells me that unless there is a serious collapse by the Boston team, and with only 20 games to go, I think the fat lady may be warming up. BUT, like I said several times before, we (Red Sox Nation) have felt the sting of Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone and the Bill Buckner faus pax. Until it's a mathematical certainty, you still gotta pull for your team. I do like seeing that 4 game series against KC, that could be the door slammer.

Thanks for the finger thing.

And thanks to Jackstraw as well...you know first hand obviously how nasty these things can be. It is indeed surprising to endure almost zero pain, given the situation, Very weird. I basically ripped off my entire finger print area.
  • Well I'm put in the weird prediciment of who to root for. The Angels play a make up game with NYY today and then 3 with Boston....

If we swept 3 from Oakland at home, and somehow the Angels could go on a 4 game losing streak we'd be 2.5 back when they roll in for a weekend series....

I know I'm grasping at straws and asking a lot, but its all I got right now. Got hold out, gotta believe. KEEP THE FAITH!!!
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Looks like a good time for my annual return to the red sox thread. As always, I'll be pulling for my halos.

matt - sweep the A's? don't you have a losing record this year against the A's? I guess it doesn't matter, since you had a winning record against the M's, but they took 2 of 3 from you at your home park. Not a good sign!

Red Sox have some of the best fans anywhere. I also catch a few games a year when they are in town. "Clean" fans, not like those creeps from NY or the Dodger fans from out here.

Any ways, I still think Texas is going to make it. I'm just not sure who they will catch. Lot hinges in the next 10 days. We have a very tough road trip, starting with one in NY tonight. and once we finish the trip, we come home for 3 with the Hankess. One positive, is we own the hankess, like nobody else.

Our starting pitching has been on fire, and hope it continues and our bats wake up. we could walk right though the rest of the season and in to the play-offs, if we hit like we did in July and August.

If I had to pick between the three today, I would have to say the Angels and Rangers are in. I just don't think the Red Sox have the pitching. especially the starting pitching.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi

• << <i>Looks like a good time for my annual return to the red sox thread. As always, I'll be pulling for my halos.

matt - sweep the A's? don't you have a losing record this year against the A's? I guess it doesn't matter, since you had a winning record against the M's, but they took 2 of 3 from you at your home park. Not a good sign! >>

We are 6-6 against Oakland, but 4-2 at home. Tomko is pitching tonight and he has been horrible against Texas: 7.94 career ERA against Texas [.352/.406/.628], 9.22 in Rangers Ballpark [.407/.456/.729]).

And we've only lost by more than 2 runs against them twice. And yes, sandwiching a sweep against Cleveland, we lost 2 of 3 to Baltimore, and 2 of 3 to Seattle. Teams, IMHO, that you have to take no less than 2 of 3 if you want to play in October.

We've found a way to beat the good teams (7-2 against Boston, 9-3 against LAA, 4-5 against NYY). We just haven't been able to blow by the bad teams. Its like this team feeds off the crowd (larger for those series), the level of baseball the competition plays, but plays down to weaker teams. For that reason I'd think we'd be dangerous if we can make it to the final 8, if.

Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

<< <i>We've found a way to beat the good teams (7-2 against Boston, 9-3 against LAA, 4-5 against NYY). We just haven't been able to blow by the bad teams. Its like this team feeds off the crowd (larger for those series), the level of baseball the competition plays, but plays down to weaker teams. For that reason I'd think we'd be dangerous if we can make it to the final 8, if. >>

I sure don't want to see the Red Sox having to play against the Rangers in a one game or longer series.
  • Doesn't look good for a Rangers sweep of the A's....
  • I wouldn't worry about a one game playoff. I have never heard of team having to play a one game playoff when they finished 5 to 6 games ahead of the team in second place. Good Luck. So depressing out there tonight. There was probably 15,000 in the stands tonight, if that. Plus see the stats Brett Tomko had against Texas, especially at the Ballpark (3 or 4 posts up), he throws a complete game four hit shut out......We need Michael, we need Josh....we need to beat Oakland.....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Youk is out with back spasms tonight. I really hope that this isn't a lingering issue for him.

It'll be interesting to see how Dice-K pitches tonight. Hopefully he'll look more like the 2008 edition than the early 2009 edition.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quality start from Dice-K would be comforting.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Here's something a bit long-range...

The National Collector's meeting will be in Baltimore, Aug 4-8, 2010. Schedules just released today show the Orioles in Baltimore then and will play the Angels Aug 4,5 and the White Sox, Aug 6,7,8.

I am planning to go to the National event. If anyone else is thinking of attending, maybe when time draws closer we can get a block of tix and enjoy a game.

Thoughts?

Go DiceK!!!
  • Al - that sounds like a blast. I'd be interested in doing that.

As for Dice - so far so good. He's already lowered his season's ERA about 2/3 of a point.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Everybody SHUSH!!!!!

I don't want Theo/Tito getting any ideas about moving Buchholz out of the Game 3 starting slot. And you KNOW they will get insane ideas like that.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Dice-K!!!
    Well just tuned in and looks like 2-0 going into the bottom of the 8th.
    Anybody have updates on how Dice K looked?
    Collector Focus

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well just tuned in and looks like 2-0 going into the bottom of the 8th.
    Anybody have updates on how Dice K looked? >>

6 innings, 3 hits, no runs - looked very good. 93 pitches I think
    That short series with the Yankees is starting to not look as bad as
    I once thought.
    Collector Focus

• Dice K looked really good. That's certainly a nice addition to the staff late in the year!

A's up 4-1 too!
    Very impressive outing by DiceK, looked very strong to me. Could prove to be a key enhancement to the club.

Texas going down again, gaining no ground in their Division and will momentarily be 5.5 behind the Red Sox for the WC. I think if the Rangers don't sweep the Angels this weekend, they are officially T-O-A-S-T. They will not be able to overcome the Red Sox lead with so few games remaining. Rangers remaining schedule does not favor them, especially with the travel to the West coast a few times and I think a Tampa vsit in the middle of the mix.

Chad...obviously Aug 2010 is a long way off, but from time to time let's keep it chatted up a bit. I would enjoy seeing the Orioles ballpark and the riverfront area. Would be nice to get 5 or 6 guys together and enjoy a game and a beer or two.

Pssssst Yankee fans...we ain't out of it yet!!!

• We're through, even if we sweep the Angels over the weekend. All it will do is provide false hopes of catching a playoff spot. What's frustrating is this happens most other years, we either win the division or wild card. I've been saying this for a while....Maybe Next Year....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Matt,

Lots can happen and agree that if you sweep the halos this weekend, you still have a shot for the division. One more top line starter, someone with speed and stealing abilities and maybe another player with a high on base percentage, and you'll have a top flight team.

Doesn't look good for the WC. Dice K looked good and Red Sox will be even tougher down the streach with there improved rotation.

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • To me it looks like the Rangers postponed their June Swoon until September. Maybe another year or two and they'll have that figured out.

I thought Dice looked great yesterday. He seemed much more willing to pitch to contact and it didn't take him 10 pitches per batter to get an out. I had all but written him off for this year so if this is for real I am going to start feeling a lot better about October.
    It was nice to see Dice pitch a good game, hey the Sox are looking good!

I still dont trust Dice though, hopefully he will prove me wrong.
    What a game...it looked like Nick Green struck out 2 times in the bottom of the 9th and still got the tying run in on a walk.
    WOW!!!
    so, LAA got some help from Varitek and Boston got some help from the man behind the plate. Watch the Sox let Alex Gonzalez go after this season. They hate good-for-the-team shortstops
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Why didn't Rivera at least dive for the ball? It appears that he was close to enough.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • I want fuentes head on a stick! This guy has got to GO!...Can't believe Fuentes loads the bases with 2 outs in the 9th, then walks in the tying run and gives up a single for the winning run. All with two freaking outs!

<< <i>Why didn't Rivera at least dive for the ball? It appears that he was close to enough.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

I thought the same thing - although I was happy he didn't. How does Green take a pitch that close?!?!? Yeah, I know he drew the walk, but 99.9% of umpires ring you up on anything close in that situation.

And what did I tell you (look at above post), Steve Phillips is already penciling in Dice for Game 3 - HELLO?!?!?!? Buchholz has been lights out for a month and Dice pitched 6 good innings. why the heck does this stuff happen!?!

<< <i>

<< <i>Why didn't Rivera at least dive for the ball? It appears that he was close to enough.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

I thought the same thing - although I was happy he didn't. How does Green take a pitch that close?!?!? Yeah, I know he drew the walk, but 99.9% of umpires ring you up on anything close in that situation.

And what did I tell you (look at above post), Steve Phillips is already penciling in Dice for Game 3 - HELLO?!?!?!? Buchholz has been lights out for a month and Dice pitched 6 good innings. why the heck does this stuff happen!?! >>

Terry Francoma is still the manager, pay no heed to Steve. I watched the game on NESN, there was no talk of Game 3 there.

• << <i>And what did I tell you (look at above post), Steve Phillips is already penciling in Dice for Game 3 - HELLO?!?!?!? Buchholz has been lights out for a month and Dice pitched 6 good innings. why the heck does this stuff happen!?! >>

There is a reason Steve Phillips got fired in NY and has been working on ESPN ever since....(he's not very good). Thanks for keeping your end of the bargin by taking it to the Halos. Hey and there was a sweep in Arlington, it was just the A's holding the brooms. We're not to the level of the Angels, Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers yet. Those teams don't get beat by bad teams. I doubt any of those teams have lost multiple series to Minnesota, Baltimore, Oakland, or Seattle. It's nice to get up for the big boys and beat them, but if you don't take care of teams you should then beating the big boys doesn't matter.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

<< <i>

<< <i>

/s/ JackWESQ >>

And what did I tell you (look at above post), Steve Phillips is already penciling in Dice for Game 3 - HELLO?!?!?!? Buchholz has been lights out for a month and Dice pitched 6 good innings. why the heck does this stuff happen!?! >>

Terry Francoma is still the manager, pay no heed to Steve. I watched the game on NESN, there was no talk of Game 3 there. >>

Well thank heavens for small miracles. I'm actually of the opinion that they should go to a 3 man rotation for the whole playoffs. With the pen they have, they just need 6 out of every starter with the playoff scheduling 2 off days per series. Leave Byrd off the roster. Dice can be your long man in a blowout and then you don't need Wake on the playoff roster either. No one in modern baseball will have the guts to do that, but I honestly believe it would give them the best chance at winning the World Series this year. Plus, if you only need 5-6 out of your starters (particularly against the Yankees in a hypothetical ALCS) you're limiting how many times through the rotation they go which will cut down on the 3 run 6th or 7th innings that have hurt at points this year.
  • Tonight was miserable for me. It's the first week of the playoffs in my fantasy baseball league and Fuentes is one of my closers. I was really hoping he just wouldn't make any appearances in this series. Now I'm screwed. Fuentes is now 41/48 in save opportunities. How do the Angels expect to win in the playoffs if they can't rely on their closer to win close games. Okay, that's only 15% of his save opportunities blown, but 15% of 7 (as in 7 games) is 1. So the Angels can expect Fuentes to blow at least one save in a full series.

Also, Rivera should get reamed for that last play. He didn't even try for that can of corn.

Okay, I've got that out of the way now. I really am happy the Red Sox won. Angels fans should be worried about their team come October.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    So after waking up and realizing that I missed the end of a great game I'm ticked. I shut the game off around 9:15ish (once the score was 3-0 Angels) and went to take a shower and get ready for bed. The worst part of this is that by no means am I a "fair-weather fan" but I sure have been acting like one the couple of months.

I still have high hopes for the playoffs so hopefully we cruise the rest of the way through the season and charge into Anaheim recharged and ready to roll.