Home Sports Talk

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Smoltz actually lasted longer then I did... I shut it off halfway through the beating we took in the fourth. Actually right after the Teixeira double.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoltz is finished.

Let's hope Wake can get some pain killers so he can field his position.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Unless there is some major surprise development in the starting pitching department, this Sox team is not making the playoffs. Penny has always been an awful second half pitcher, Smoltz is done, and Buchholz is not ready (nor may ever be ready).

They have 55 games left, which means Beckett and Lester get about 22 starts combined. They need to win 90% of those games, and hope that they can win 40% of the other 33 games started by the collection of tomato cans that make up spots 3-5 in the rotation. That will get them to 95 wins, which is probably what it will take to hold off Tampa.

Not getting Halladay will prove disasterous for the Sox. I would have given up any combination of Masterson, Buchholz, Bowden, Anderson, and/or the two guys they sent to Cleveland for Halladay. The only untouchable for me was Bard.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    For some reason Epstein loves Buchholz?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I like the V-Mat signing, count me in as another one who is seriously questioning Theo's gameplan. Actually Im getting pissed off at this point, he should have learned last year we need to make moves to get stud pitching/hitting when when the chance presents itself ( IE Halladay )....
    Maybe Beckett can beat them today?
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A tough time for RSN. With the exception of Beckett and Lester, the pitching is dismal at best. Smoltz is really 1-6...recall the 2-run dinger by Youk to bail him out. Penny is just not cutting it, DiceK is God knows where and Wake is hurt.

From time to time I look at "bang for buck"--- i.e. payroll vs performance. Drew is the top paid player at $14m, Ortiz at $13m, Lowell at $13.5m and DiceK at $8.33m. Didn't Theo pony up $100m just to be able to talk to him in Japan??
    Taking this a bit further, Pedroia $1.75m, Lester $1m and Ellsbury gets a comparatively paltry $449,500. The last 3 are the best performers lately. Smoltz is getting $5.5m...try not to choke on that!!

All you gotta do is divide 162 (games per year) into the salaries above and see what each player effectively gets per game. Of course we know Drew sits out a lot, with Baldelli and now Reddick spelling him. MIND BOGGLING to believe Drew gets a stunning $86,420 per game, whether he sits or plays, or continues to take a called strike three. And this for 6 months of playing baseball...beyond incredible.

The Red Sox have a very deep hole to crawl out of, if they don't improve their pitching and the bats quicly, the Division title and WC chances may vaporize quickly.

Let us keep the faith as best we can, hope is always a good thing. Like Yogi said, "it ain't over till it's over".

I get the feeling this gem by Beckett is going to be wasted....1 freaking hit thru 7??? come on.
    9th and Okijima is struggling with Damon!!!I have the same feeling this isn't going to end well!
    Collector Focus

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    And on we go....come on lets get some runs BOSOX!
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    This will be hard to swallow if the Sox can't manage to get a run across soon.
    It'll be a LONG time before the Sox and Yanks play a scoreless game through 12 innings again. Saito in, gg Sox.
    Holy Shnikes. Drew played some great defense in the 14th inning.
    helluva catch....this ump better get his head out of his ass soon though.
    Just gross.
    Sucks. They pound Burnett all year and cant get one friggin run off him (or even more than a hit).

Now they depend on Suchholz to turn things around. Well, he crabbed about getting his shot --- here it is, seize the day, or spend another year in AAA.
    Well...I went to bed in the 10th (got a road trip today)...I almost dropped my OJ when I saw that A-Rod won it in the bottom of the 15th.

Clearly the biggest loss of the season, this one is gonna sting for a long, long time. I'm glad I didn't witness the Yankees celebration at home plate.

Whatcha gonna do now Theo?

I'm off to Tennessee.

I am refusing to watch sports centerimage
    Collector Focus

<< <i>Well...I went to bed in the 10th (got a road trip today)...I almost dropped my OJ when I saw that A-Rod won it in the bottom of the 15th.

Clearly the biggest loss of the season, this one is gonna sting for a long, long time. I'm glad I didn't witness the Yankees celebration at home plate.

Whatcha gonna do now Theo?

I'm off to Tennessee. >>

I fell asleep in the 13th...I guess that wasn't a bad thing. The season is sinking fast.

On the bright side...have a good trip Al!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The hard truth is that right now the Yankees are the better team.

And maybe the Rays are, too.
    Capecards

• << <i>The hard truth is that right now the Yankees are the better team.

And maybe the Rays are, too. >>

Unfortunately, the Red Sox season has followed the same path as Jason Bay.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
    Only Sox fans can be a game up in the Wild Card and think the season is over!

Today terrifies me....two 13 inning games in one week, and Buchholz will be lucky to get thru 5 today....the bullpen is going to leave New York in shambles.
    I can't watch tell me when the season is overimage
    Collector Focus

Again I log in and see 5-0, only this time I said "Holy S#%$ !!!

How have we imploded so badly at the plate? I didn't look at the numbers, but where the hell are the bats???

On a brighter note, I took a drive to Crossville, TN today - I live about 25 miles south of Atlanta. They have this highway 127 yard sale thing for 3 days each August, it stretches for some 400++ miles from northern Alabama to Ohio. It was a bit hokey, but overall a good trip. Wife enjoyed herself and picked up a few trinkets. Tennessee is a beautiful state, hills and valleys with lots of farmland and eye pleasing scenery. We even talked about moving there, but more toward Nashville if we do move.

Anyway, I'm disappointed in the performance of the Sox, but will still hang with them till the last dog dies...and die he may if they don't get the ship back on course!!

Bob, drop me an email and let me know how your trip to the National, etc, went.
    Wow, the wheels are falling off fast. If this does not get nipped in the bud quick, we are going to have a repeat of 2006, WITHOUT 54 home runs from Papi on mega-vitatmins! image

Francona was right about "too much pitching" -- as soon as you think you have too much, you need to go out and get more. And sure enough, many are wishing we had Masterson starting instead of Suchholz (althought if you score zero runs, you can't win even if Beckett pitches every night!)
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just got back from LA, California...missed six straight games. Lucky me?

<< <i>The hard truth is that right now the Yankees are the better team.

Yup. Hey not much else to say I guess, we are not that good anymore this season.
    Maybe we should have a pool to see when we'll score again?
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    These last 6 games have taken at least a couple hours off my life span. I'm sure of it!
    So that's what runs look like!
    And we give it right back! Sigh.....
    Whatever!Okajima
    Collector Focus

I honestly don't know what to write or think at this point. When Martinez got the HR, I thought we had it won...not to be. When your main opponent wins 7 in a row, and your team drops 6 in a row, things ain't goin' too good. Some serious wins are needed to have even a shot at the WC at this point. Gotta hope other teams can nail the Yankees and we need a HUGE win streak.

It is indeed time to COWBOY UP!!!!
    Well, that was a depressing weekend.
    Yup still rippin' mad.

I don't know about you guys, but I am less than thrilled about watching the game tonight. At least we're at home!
  • matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The hard truth is that right now the Yankees are the better team.

And maybe the Rangers, too. We're 5-1 against you guys. With 3 in Arlington this weekend. Should be fun times. Its been a while since we've had a meaningfull series in Arlington in mid August. Let's see how many bandwagon fans are out that night.

No offense and I'm probably in the minority in this thread, but I hope you lose 4 straight to Detroit, and then Texas rips your throats out, taking a commanding lead in the Wild Card. You guys have won 2 of the last 5 World Series. Can someone else please have a chance?
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
    "rip your throats out"

Now there's a real intelligent post. Get a clue dude...it's only baseball.

FWIW, highly unlikely Detroit is gonna sweep the Red Sox in Fenway, nor is your team gonna do it either.
  • matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    It may be only baseball, and I don't want anyone to die in that manner or any manner on the baseball field. I meant figuratively. I want to make statement. Maybe the words came out a little harsh. I've seen one playoff win my entire life. It's pretty depressing.

You guys face Edwin Jackson who might strike out 15 tonight the way you guys are swinging. You also have to face Verlander. I'm not saying you'll get swept and I'm not predicitng a series loss either time. I just want that to happen.

If you don't score runs you can't win. Boston's offense has been in an epic funk.

<< <i>highly unlikely Detroit is gonna sweep the Red Sox in Fenway, nor is your team gonna do it either >>

You're right, I'll bet you a million dollars we don't sweep you in your place, or even win a game there and neither will you against us. Before you call me unintelligent again look at schedule you guys come to Arlington. Also check out May 5th - 7th on that schedule, and July 20th - 22nd on that same schedule. We took 2 out of 3 at your place and swept you at ours, so it could happen again. As long as we keep taking series, we'll be fine.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Ok 1 game gained back, baby step in the right direction...
    Shaky bullpen again but Paps looked good and it's nice to get back in the W column.
    Did anyone stay up and watch the Luis Tiant documentary on ESPN? Basically a return trip to Cuba, where he hadn't been in 46 years. It was pretty emotional for him. The poverty was staggering...gave you a clear perspective of what it must be like to live under a dictator.

Anyway, good win for the Red Sox, perhaps we've turned a corner.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep I saw the Tiant special and while I'm here I would NOT count the Sox out just yet.

1/3 of the season remains and lots can and will happen. heck even the Mets might reduce the number

of players on the DL from 12 to 10. Then again maybe they won't.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Tazawa? Who's that? Has it come to this? Gave up 3 runs 1st 2 innings.

Wasn't it just a couple months ago that all the experts were saying we had too many starting pitchers?
    Capecards
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tazawa? Who's that? Has it come to this? Gave up 3 runs 1st 2 innings.

Wasn't it just a couple months ago that all the experts were saying we had too many starting pitchers? >>

bit deceiving, Green blew a one out, no runs in yet, easy double play that would have the Sox up 3-0 if he wasn't sucking
    Youkalis freakin rules!
    Collector Focus

• dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Youkalis freakin rules! >>

Yeah, enough to get tossed like a punk by a rookie pitcher. And he threw his helmet first like a bytch. Totally rules!!! (sarcasm).
    While I believe Youk was thrown at, it was a dumb move to throw his helmet. That's going to add games to his probable suspension
    Jim Rice said it was "a girly throw".

Maybe the league will take that into consideration.
    Capecards
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this team needed something to get them charged up, maybe the Youkilis incident will be it? Worked for Varitek in 2004