Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    I know what Theo needed to do that was sign Texeria! End of story he knew and we knew it! He was the closest thing
    to Manny in the free agency pool but he did nothing to fill that hole! He needed to over spend for him. I am trying
    to figure out who he thought would fill that spot? Kotsay, Bay , Drew and now Laroche........yeah
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Here's my feeling: I love Jason Bay. I love the way he plays the game. I love that he's good at all aspects of the game. And I hope the Red Sox keep him. But he is not the whole answer to losing Manny Ramirez's bat and he's certainly not the answer for the combined loss of Ramirez's bat and Ortiz's downward trajectory. Signing Teixeira would have gone a long way to fixing that problem but it didn't happen. However, I think that if the Sox want to ensure that they are a dominate force for the next several seasons they need to find another high-impact hitter - the kind of hitter that can carry a team for a few weeks and when he's not absolutely on fire is still way above average. That's why I like Adrian Gonzalez. Look at what he's done in one of the worst hitter's parks in baseball with absolutely no protection in the lineup.

Other intriguing guys that might be available: Victor Martinez, Joe Mauer, and Matt Holiday (not sure he's really what we need anymore though). Anyone else?
  • Options
    I think Joe Mauer would be a great addition to the Red Sox image
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I'd take Mauer, Gonzalez, or Martinez at this point. We need some life to the lineup for sure.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel like the Red Sox went through a similar funk a few years ago and I remember writing almost this vey same thing about Big Papi but now I'm going to write it about Jason Bay. It's great to get walks, but if no one behind you is going to hit, you (Bay) need to start trying to hit the ball hard and see if you can make something happen.

I don't see the team staying this bad forever, but these slumps are always concerning to me and they remind me that no team is invincible.

One other thing - teams are stealing against the Sox pitchers and Varitek at will. It's gotten to the point where it is embarassing. >>

Yes I remember you talking about Papi NOT swinging- I believe it was '07 and again I truly think this year is going to be just like that year. The Sox will rebound as the Yankees will eventually hit a slump, two things concern me though 1-The Yanks are DUE for a W against us this year and 2- Im getting sick and tired of these free agent signings, why are we signing Laroche? Why did we sign Hinske and these other similar type players over the past few years? The Sox need to step up and be aggressive in going after some big guns, I realize there might not be a whole lot of guys being dangled in front of us but at least make attempts.
  • Options
    Teixeria was dangled in front of us for about 3 months oh and btw we didn't really have to dump Manny>
    Yes he was annoying and didn't hustle but at this point it looks like a big mistake!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Teixeria was dangled in front of us for about 3 months oh and btw we didn't really have to dump Manny>
    Yes he was annoying and didn't hustle but at this point it looks like a big mistake! >>

dumping Manny was not a mistake. I am a fan of players who give it their best every game. Manny was not one of those players. I'd rather have Gabe Kapler in LF trying his hardest, achieving sub-stellar stats, and not taking PEDs (at least I think he didn't take them) than have Manny mailing it in, performing when he wants to perform, and doping.
  • Options
    I agree...though the offense is suffering Manny had to go.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Teixeria was dangled in front of us for about 3 months oh and btw we didn't really have to dump Manny>
    Yes he was annoying and didn't hustle but at this point it looks like a big mistake! >>

dumping Manny was not a mistake. I am a fan of players who give it their best every game. Manny was not one of those players. I'd rather have Gabe Kapler in LF trying his hardest, achieving sub-stellar stats, and not taking PEDs (at least I think he didn't take them) than have Manny mailing it in, performing when he wants to perform, and doping. >>

Yankee fan chiming into hostilke territory....

Dumping Manny was the right move. Dont look at it the shortsighted way which is solely using batting average and run production. He was a spreading cancer in your locker, period.

I saw part of your loss last night and could not beleive the steals. Guys getting 4 steps before the ball is released? I guess you need another series against us (Yankees) since that always seems to perk you guys up.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

dumping Manny was not a mistake. I am a fan of players who give it their best every game. Manny was not one of those players. I'd rather have Gabe Kapler in LF trying his hardest, achieving sub-stellar stats, and not taking PEDs (at least I think he didn't take them) than have Manny mailing it in, performing when he wants to perform, and doping. >>

Yankee fan chiming into hostilke territory....

Dumping Manny was the right move. Dont look at it the shortsighted way which is solely using batting average and run production. He was a spreading cancer in your locker, period.

I saw part of your loss last night and could not beleive the steals. Guys getting 4 steps before the ball is released? I guess you need another series against us (Yankees) since that always seems to perk you guys up..... >>

Farrell (pitching coach) needs to fix that BS that has been going on with the pitchers, period.
  • Options
    OK I will agree dumping Manny was probably the right move but to not go hard after
    Tiexeria seems to be a big mistake. I said before the season they needed a bat and
    an arm and they would OK. I have the feeling its going to be a long second half.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Texeira has dont great while A-rod is doing great. When A-rod was out he was off to a slow start. With Ortiz hitting .220 or whatever behind him Texeira would still be good but maybe not as good.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK I will agree dumping Manny was probably the right move but to not go hard after
    Tiexeria seems to be a big mistake. I said before the season they needed a bat and
    an arm and they would OK. I have the feeling its going to be a long second half. >>

Im was the biggest Manny fan going and even I am glad he is gone- and I think he is a P O S as well.

That being said I do agree that it would have been nice to have big Tex in our lineup but in no way would the Sox spend all that money on him and Im kinda glad they didnt, I would rather see that money spent on a two very good ballplayers ( at least one of them being a SS ) I just hope they pull the trigger on someone before its too late, I dont want us repeating last years playoff performance image

Whats the deal with Matt Holliday? I know he is having an off year but I think he would look good in our lineup.
  • Options
    Holliday would look good but where? Somebody is going to sit .
    I would say go after Halliday and try to win it on pitching the bats will come around.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Sox waived Kotsay today to put LaRoche on the 25 man roster.
  • Options
    egghhhhh

WHY DID THEY SIGN CRUMMY LAROCHE??

THEY COULD HAVE HAD MVP HOLLIDAY!!!!!
  • Options
    We will see looks like an even swap to me?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Wow...amazing....3 runs was enough tonight.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us not live in the past...Manny is gone and I say good riddance. Facts are facts, he laid down on the team and the fans, not to mention slamming the travelling secretary to the ground because he couldn't get the tix Manny asked for. Twenty five guys make a team, not just one guy that decides whether or not he brings his A-game to the ballpark. LA and Mannwood, they can have it all. Please don't tell me how we wouldn't have won the '04 and '07 WS without Manny, he was a contributor, but not the key player in all games. I think Manny became a cancer, dogging the team, not hustling and faking knee problems when we needed him most. When you figure his salary, it is mind-BOGGLING to think a man getting paid almost $125k PER GAME would have a problem with anything. He's gone and I'm damn glad.

Moving on, who knows what goes through Theo's head? I too was surprised at the pick up of Laroche...what's that about? And, so what if Tex is with the Yankees, it is what it is, only so much coin to go around. IMO, the big goofs were Julio Lugo and JD Drew, their two salaries alone were more than $20m per season. Anybody think we got the bang for buck out of Lugo at $57k per game, or Drew at (I think) $95k per game? NOT. think Dicek is worth what he's getting?

The Sox management will do what it will do, let's hope whatever moves are coming are viable and make the team better. The trading deadline is soon upon us, then roster expansion in September. Let's just hope for the best, even though the teami is in a bit of a funk, things can turn around quikcly.
  • Options
    In his first game with the Cardinals, Lugo played 2ndbase and hit a triple and home run.
    He had another two hits today.

Orlando Cabrera had a big hit for the A's today against the Yankees too.

• Options

<< <i>In his first game with the Cardinals, Lugo played 2ndbase and hit a triple and home run.
    He had another two hits today.

Orlando Cabrera had a big hit for the A's today against the Yankees too. >>

good for Julio. He sucked for the Sox, but all along was a supportive teammate to the other players and an easy-to-manage player for Francoma. I hope he does well in the NL.
  • Options
    any way the Sox can trade JD Blew? No hit, no arm, no nothin'
  • Options
    Don't you think you're being a little hard on JD? He did just have an infield single!!

• Options
    And that grand slam in the 07 ALCS was worth every penny! No arm?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>And that grand slam in the 07 ALCS was worth every penny! No arm? >>

one worthy hit in his three years of sixty-something RBI per year isn't valued at $14 million IMO. Watch him play daily and see how often he fails to deliver a well thrown ball. Been happening way more than 50% of the time lately...that is when he doesn't fumble with picking up the ball (which I witnessed in person in Arlington recently).
  • Options
    Whatever Drew did in the past is just that, in the past. Baseball is a game of "what have you done for me lately". So he hit a grand slam in 2007, so what, isn't he SUPPOSED to hit the ball? Drew is overpaid and waaaaaay under-performing.

Would you think because LaRoche hit a homer in his first Fenway appearance that he is now the stud home run hitter of the club, or the new fan favoirte? Of course not. What's in the past is in the past and Drew isn't earning his MASSIVE salary. Think about that next time you see him stand there and take yet another called strike 3 with RISP.
  • Options
    if Blew was making a lesser salary, say in the $3 million range, he would be performing to expectations. I'd still hope for him to be traded
  • Options
    Dear Mr. Epstein,

Please end the Smoltz experiment.

Sincerely,

RSN
  • Options
    Yo Smoltz!!! 6 earned runs and with a now 1-4 record puts you in the "he sucks" category. Time to realize you ain't got it anymore and Red Sox Nation wants you gone.

BTW, thanks for nada, take your little bag of coin and move home, permanently, time to get off the stage.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's time for Baltimore to make another shrewd trade to prolong their futility. I see them getting suckered into trading Markaksis for a few minor league scrubs. Nick is playing much too good for Baltimore's lowly standards.
  • Options

<< <i>It's time for Baltimore to make another shrewd trade to prolong their futility. I see them getting suckered into trading Markaksis for a few minor league scrubs. Nick is playing much too good for Baltimore's lowly standards. >>

no way Baltimore trades Markakis. Of course, it would be fine with me for him to play RF for the Sox image
  • Options
    Okay Smoltzie...time to hang them up and wait for the Cooperstown Call.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you all need to find out where edmundfitzgerald lives and go rough him up a little. Ever since he took the Mets avatar, the Sox followed that with a losing streak. The Mets are contagious right now.

You don't want anything to do with the Mets this year. Let that be a lesson image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's time for Baltimore to make another shrewd trade to prolong their futility. I see them getting suckered into trading Markaksis for a few minor league scrubs. Nick is playing much too good for Baltimore's lowly standards. >>

no way Baltimore trades Markakis. Of course, it would be fine with me for him to play RF for the Sox image >>

You are assuming the Baltimore GM makes good decisions. Not sure I would agree. image
  • Options
    I am just trying to figure out what you expected from J.D.Drew? His avg. might be below his season avg. but
    he is pretty much exactly what I thought he was. I am not going to go into the contract stuff with you
    because that is just dumb. He's an avg. major league ball player. Who else is available to play right ?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>I am just trying to figure out what you expected from J.D.Drew? His avg. might be below his season avg. but
    he is pretty much exactly what I thought he was. I am not going to go into the contract stuff with you
    because that is just dumb. He's an avg. major league ball player. Who else is available to play right ? >>

like most Sox fans, I expect Blew to play like a $14 million pitcher. Similarly, I expect Ortiz to hit like a $12 million DH.

My expectations for Varitek are lower this year, since he is no longer a $10 million per year catcher, he "only" makes half that amount. If someone signs a contract for big money, just about anyone who is a Red Sox fan will expect big performance to match that contract.
  • Options
    There is no way Drew is worth 14 million a year. Theo blew it there and to a much great extent with Lugo.
  • Options
    I could have told him he wasn't a 14 million dollar player. I could have told him Ortiz was going to suck
    with nobody protecting him! I could have told him Smoltz was a waste of money!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    It's only July. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Trade Buchholz, Masterson and Saito for Halladay.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I honestly can't see us getting Adrian Gonzalez, and Roy Halladay without completely depleting our Farm system. If anything Lowell and Lars Anderson for Gonzalez and Drew, Bucholz, and Saito for Halladay. Even then I think we'd be screwed in the long run.
  • Options

<< <i>It's only July. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Trade Buchholz, Masterson and Saito for Halladay. >>

Theo would say "Where do I sign?"
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Beckett's lookin good tonight. Probably not a CG but I'm seeing probably 8 with Okajima coming on to close it out in the 9th.
  • Options
    Beckett looked real good and the bats look very good tonight.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Beckett has some incredible home numbers. Now we need to get on a run!
  • Options
    can we add Papelbon to the list of whomever gets traded? Bard is doing great, had a nice 8th inning, could have been left in for the save in the ninth, yet Francoma likes his closer because of this baseball-wide affliction of having someone special for the ninth. That hurt
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pap Crap.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Snatched from the jaws of victory....Did Green have 2 errors in the 9th as well?
  • Options

<< <i>Snatched from the jaws of victory....Did Green have 2 errors in the 9th as well? >>

indeed he did.
  • Options
    That is going to sting for awhile.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    A nasty loss...one run losses are killers, especially at home, and ESPECIALLY like this one! Gotta just suck it up and move on...Pap looked very shaky.