Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    What? No love for the Orioles here? image
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say congrats to the Orioles for making a massive comeback. We got our asses kicked and we deserved it last night. Blowing a 9-run lead is a rare, RARE moment...give the O's players and fans their due.

Today is another day...Josh Beckett.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>I say congrats to the Orioles for making a massive comeback. We got our asses kicked and we deserved it last night. Blowing a 9-run lead is a rare, RARE moment...give the O's players and fans their due.

Today is another day...Josh Beckett. >>

Yeah Al, you're right. They did come back against a great bullpen. That's why it ain't over til it's over.
    On the bright side I thought Smoltz looked great. I'd like to see what he can do in a full 90-100 pitch outing.
  • Options
    Greatest come Back in Orioles history. This one might haunt The Red Soxs Nation towards the end of the season!
  • Options
    Hey Leo...

Our teams meet 12 more times this year. Let's see how excited you are in late September. That you think ONE game can make such a difference towards the end of the year is simply dumber than a bag of rocks. Now, if your great Orioles sweep those 12 games, it "might" make a difference. The season isn't even half over yet and because of one historical comeback game you now believe your team is the end all, be all to hurt the Red Sox. Wow, how insightful!!

Try not to be a statistician...last time I checked, your team is 12 games back and sinking like the Titanic. Oh, that New York team? We've beaten them 8 in a row...mean anything to you?

IRRATIONAL EXUBERANCE!!!

PS, enjoy Josh Beckett today.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Orioles just got even with the Sox for the Mothers Day Miracle.

Now if Beckett would pull his head out of his 4th point of contact and the Sox hitters would wake up, all will be fine
  • Options
    The point that was made was every game counts and in Sept Yesterdays game may come back to bite! OH, and last time I checke the Os are really enjoying Beckett today! Off to the Golf course where im sure ill deposit as many balls as the Os score Today. At least 5!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im more concerned with the Sox shaking that ugly thing off than I am about the loss counting against them come September- there will be a bunch of games that we will win but COULD have loss if it wasnt for a timely basehit or great catch ect.. The come from behind wins and losses even themselves out for the most part, like I said I just dont want the Sox to lose their mojo because of that "Ugly Thing" last night!
  • Options
    yankees will choke it away again....SOX NATION too strong
  • Options
    Beckett off his game today as are the Sox bats.

Wow, those O's fans must be lining up for WS tix now that they've gotten us 2 in a row. Let's see how they do against us in the next 11 matchups.

They'll recover at Fenway.
  • Options

<< <i>Beckett off his game today as are the Sox bats.

Wow, those O's fans must be lining up for WS tix now that they've gotten us 2 in a row. Let's see how they do against us in the next 11 matchups.

They'll recover at Fenway. >>

Not so fast my friend......
  • Options
    Orioles choke, Sox win.
  • Options

<< <i>Im more concerned with the Sox shaking that ugly thing off than I am about the loss counting against them come September- there will be a bunch of games that we will win but COULD have loss if it wasnt for a timely basehit or great catch ect.. The come from behind wins and losses even themselves out for the most part, like I said I just dont want the Sox to lose their mojo because of that "Ugly Thing" last night! >>

See what I mean! image

Nice comeback win to get rid of that "Ugly thing"

They didnt lose their MOJO!!!!

• Options
    just finished watching the game (DVR rocks!). Amazed that they had it in them to come back and win after last night and even more amazed that Papelbon only faced three batters in the 11th
  • Options
    They must have used the Adrenaline thing in the 9th right Al?

• Options

<< <i>They must have used the Adrenaline thing in the 9th right Al?

image >>

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>What? No love for the Orioles here? image >>

• Options
    We love the Orioles when they let us win a series in their own backyard. image
  • Options
    My bad for prematurely announcing the loss to the O's. Clearly I was grossly lacking in adrenaline. I bailed at the top of the 9th, the best part of the game...I almost fell over when I was surfing and checked the score on my PC was 5-5!! I was elated of course to see my team had obviously taken some serious adrenaline hits in the dugout prior to their last at bats in the 9th. image

I will stoke up for tomorrow's game against the Mariners with Wakefield on the mound.

• Options
    The Good teams find a way to come back from a bad loss, and get a game like this. Good win for the Soxs.
  • Options
    no, that was a GREAT win, GREAT COMEBACK
  • Options

<< <i>My bad for prematurely announcing the loss to the O's. Clearly I was grossly lacking in adrenaline. I bailed at the top of the 9th, the best part of the game...I almost fell over when I was surfing and checked the score on my PC was 5-5!! I was elated of course to see my team had obviously taken some serious adrenaline hits in the dugout prior to their last at bats in the 9th. image

I will stoke up for tomorrow's game against the Mariners with Wakefield on the mound. >>

Okay, buddy...you're forgiven!
  • Options
    With the Sox off tonight it is almost just as much fun watching CC getting lit up by the hapless M's image
  • Options
    AArdsma looked pretty good in the 9th...no? I always kinda liked that guy.
  • Options
    Bout time the M's win one against the Yankees!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AArdsma looked pretty good in the 9th...no? I always kinda liked that guy. >>

He has been a very reliable closer for the M's. He throws wicked heat, but was a little wild toward the end of the year last year for the Sox. After stocking up with Saito, Ramierz, and with Bard ready for big time, Aardsma was expendible, and the M's took advantage.
  • Options
    with that wall ball double, it's official: Julio Who?
  • Options
    Man, he just missed a 3-Run Shot too.
    Julio can't get out of town fast enough - although he did get the game winning hit on Wednesday
  • Options

<< <i>With the Sox off tonight it is almost just as much fun watching CC getting lit up by the hapless M's image >>

I guess the Sox got lit up by the 'hapless' M's too hmm?

• Options
    two batters with 0-2 counts in the 11th and Ramirez delivers belt-high fastballs? No way that's what Kottaras was calling
  • Options
    Too many LOB did us in. We had our chances for sure. That would have been nice if Green's wall double was 2 feet higher!
  • Options
    That Green kid at short has been playing well...why is Lugo playing today?
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Aloha! Had to check in for a sec from out in Maui on vacation. Glad to see that the Sox are still in first and that the nation is still going strong. Alright take it easy. Lata.
  • Options
    The Sox just got schooled in these first two games by the best one run winning team in baseball. I'm just joking around with you guys, the Sox have a good team but I'm just bragging up the M's, these guys lost 101 games last year and have been in just about every game this year. The manager Wakamatsu seems to be making all the right moves so far. I've noticed Francona's choices for relievers the last two games. Last night he had Okijima ready to face Branyan (who can't hit leftys) and didn't bring him in. He hit a single and RBI off the righty. Thanks for Aardsma by the way--lights out this year.
  • Options
    Once again I was shorted on watching a Saturday Red Sox game. It is beyond insane to see my 50" HD plasma say "program not available in your area", particularly when I have PAID FOR the Directv extra innings package! I guess Seattle is about 2.5k miles waaaay NW of me, and I know Boston is 1k miles away. Whoever makes these decisions should be forced to enter the hot dog eating contest held by Nahtan's at Coney Island, which is what I watched in lieu of the game (how desperate and pathetic can I get?) and if this bozo doesn't eat at least 50 HDB (hot dogs and buns), he will be required to tread water in the Charles river for 2 hours. BTW, the winner ate 69 HDBs in 10 minutes...ponder the consequences of that!!!

Had to get that off my chest...geez, the programming whackos! Yo nutto, I PAID for the game....hellllllooooo!!! Game of the week my a$%!!!

So Saito plays walk-a-thon and blows the game, while Aardsma saves it for the Mariners. I've always liked Aardsma and never uinderstood why Theo et al didn't think he was worth keeping. I'll bet Aardsma was doing a major "I told you I could pitch" inside as he walked off the mound.

What's worse than losing a one run game at home??? Losing TWO one-run games at home!! Here we were 2-0 with that Tek shot and nary a run to be found after that. Not having seen the game, I can only surmise that our bats stunk, or their pitcher was really good. Either way, not a table setter for the Boston faithful on (of all days) the 4th of July...Boston is littered with American History and the fireworks display is second to none. Paul Revere would have had Saito's head on a pike after that performance. At least he would have been in stocks at Fanueil Hall for all to mock and express their displeasure. Paul was a huge Red Sox fan. image

I suspect Julio has the bus warmed up, just waiting for Saito to get his binto box and Samurai sword and off they go. Undoubtedly the wheels in Theo's head are turning and the PMs must be flying between clubs as they try to find a home for these to LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZZERS. I suspect Luso's salary may be a problem (imagine, they pay him over $9m per season), I say make him clam food in Boston Habah along with binto-box boy.

Lester should save the day today, and for those of you lighting candles in hopes I'll be ok...not to worry, I will SEE the game today.

Happy belated 4th to all, hope you got to see some wicked cool (New England vernacular) fireworks.

Go Red Sox!!!
  • Options
    Lester can only save the day if the Sox manage MORE THAN FOUR MEASLEY HITS! image

The Saturday TV arrangement with FOX Network totally sucks, you will get no argument from baseball fans. It's all about the $$$ with MLB
  • Options
    ok, Sox managed more than four hits...that should help image
  • Options
    Yeah Al, I felt your pain with no TV yesterday but with the result I guess I am glad. Nice win today though. We needed it with the Yankees biting at our heels!
  • Options
    The lowly As in Fenway tonight AND Nomar's first return game. Should be interesting, I'm sure the Red Sox faithful will give him a standing O.

As for the Yank's, I thought # 62 was disastrous. Had it not been for Matsui and Jeter, the Jays would have taken the game. They blew an 8-4 lead. The Twinkies may give the Yanks some good games, especially at MN. Our chance to open the lead.

Looking forward to the All-Star game with Wakefield and Co. I think Albert should take the HR competition, the man is deadly. Gee, no A-Roid or Manram, what a relief.

Bob...looks like I may be going on a mini-vacation to WI and MI during the National week....I'll let you know.

• Options
    Pigs, where are you getting this info that Branyan can't hit lefties? In his career, yes, but this year he's been quite effective putting up a .264/.363/.529 line against lefties. Not as good as against righties of course, but still more than respectable.
  • Options

<< <i>Pigs, where are you getting this info that Branyan can't hit lefties? In his career, yes, but this year he's been quite effective putting up a .264/.363/.529 line against lefties. Not as good as against righties of course, but still more than respectable. >>

better put by pigs might have been statistics citing Okajima's success this year against left handed hitters (they're hitting something like .150 IIRC)
  • Options
    seems the Smoltz experiment has failed?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markie Mark is pathetic.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Gotta give props to Brett Anderson tonight. He looked great against an inept lineup tonight.
  • Options
    Credit to the As pitcher...zippo to Mr. Smoltz. I think we may have bus rider number 3. Lugo at the wheel, Saito and Smoltz close behind.

Nice ovation for Nomar, which was easily precictable.

Gotta admit, the Yanks - Jays game was more exciting.
  • Options

<< <i>Pigs, where are you getting this info that Branyan can't hit lefties? In his career, yes, but this year he's been quite effective putting up a .264/.363/.529 line against lefties. Not as good as against righties of course, but still more than respectable. >>

Sorry my mistake on Branyan--but on TV they had a shot of Okajima standing in the bullpen with the ball in his hand thinking he was coming in and they didn't bring him in. I also wanted to congratulate the Sox fans for their ovation for Griffey this weekend when he left the game on Saturday and singled off the wall on Sunday. That may be the last time you guys see him play there. Very classy fans that really know the game.
  • Options
    Yikes, I return from vacation and I see the Sox have only a 1 game lead!

Those Yanks are sneaking up the ranks which is not a good thing to see, hopefully we can hang on and get back on track.
  • Options
    Beckett gets his 10th and Paps strikes out the side to finish it!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Nice to see Beckett pitch well and hopefully the last two games are evidence that Bay is escaping that horrible 2-25 slump he had last week.
  • Options