Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    1000!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice to see Beckett pitch well and hopefully the last two games are evidence that Bay is escaping that horrible 2-25 slump he had last week. >>

Now they need to get Youk out of his slump. His BA is dropping like an anvil.
  • Options
    What's he 1-22 on this homestand? BRUTAL!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youkilis seems to have this slump every year in September. Glad he is getting it out of the way early this year!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    here's a pic my cousin just sent me from his cell phone in the clubhouse

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics Zep! Thanks for sharing..

Nice W tonight!! Although too close for comfort- Barn you will need to update the Papi HR ticker to 9.5 image
  • Options
    Nice pics Zep
    Boy, the Sox held on tonight....whew!
  • Options
    1 more he sent after I was asleep

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Barn you will need to update the Papi HR ticker to 9.5 image >>

Make that 10.5.
  • Options
    #300 for Big Papi!
    And Youk actually got a hit and an RBI!!
  • Options

<< <i> Barn you will need to update the Papi HR ticker to 9.5 image >>

Ummm Make that 10.5 !!
  • Options
    I will fix that Ortiz thing. When he reaches 20 I will let it die. He is still way behind where he needs to be.

Oh, WTF is up with the BS bullpen AGAIN? This bullpen does seem more familiar to life long Sox fans given its performance of late
  • Options
    This season looks to have S T R E S S written all over it. Kinda reminds me of 2007, hopefully its just like 2007 and we have a winner.

The Bullpen is a freakin' joke BTW.
  • Options

<< <i>This season looks to have S T R E S S written all over it. Kinda reminds me of 2007, hopefully its just like 2007 and we have a winner.

The Bullpen is a freakin' joke BTW. >>

Works for me. I agree with the bullpen comments. Hopefully we're just in a bad stretch!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I guess the June swoon came a month late this year...
  • Options
    I think it is just a bad stretch for the bullpen as was suggested. This is the part of the season during which Farrell will determine his future. He fixes the pen while maintaining the progress enjoyed by his starters and he's got a job for next year (as a manager somewhere if he wants it). He doesn't responds adequately and the bullpen freefalls, well he's looking for any job next year
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Cool pics Zep. The bat with the cat is too cool. I wonder who owns that bat??

Brian
  • Options
    nice that the Sox came out on the lucky end of a 1-0 pitchers' duel!
  • Options

<< <i>Cool pics Zep. The bat with the cat is too cool. I wonder who owns that bat??

Brian >>

It's in Jacoby's bin.
  • Options
    Nice well pitched game by both pitchers. The turning point was Green able to get the bunt down with 2 strikes. The Royals had a similar situation in the top of the 8th and weren't successful.
    Lester was a beast, and Paps looked good but this team needs to start hitting!
  • Options
    Crap! The friggin' Yankees are beating the Angels 4-1 already! image
  • Options
    Brilliant job by Lester tonight! This kid has been "En-Feugo" his last few starts, Pap throwing gas as usual to lock it up!

One more W before the break?
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good win last night, needed it for sure!! Where are the bats???

Yankees lose 10-4 in LA, Sox up 1 game.

Today being Saturday, I guess I'll see that "not available in your area" BS. Well, it is Smoltz, and if he goes to 0-3, he might as well start filling out his change of address card.
  • Options
    bye bye smoltz..it was nice knowing you
  • Options
    What a beautiful, pleasant Saturday afternoon and evening for Red Sox nation image
  • Options
    nice job by Smoltz tonight - very nice

Bats are alive!!!!!!!
  • Options
    has Masterson lost it? He needs some help, so it would seem
  • Options
    Im not sure I liked the pitching performance tonight- however a much needed offense explosion got the job done! image

Gotts throw this out there----- Did anyone of you see the absolute SEED JD Drew threw? Nailing the runner out at home? It was a thing of beauty!

( Dare I say I saw him swear in disgust after the ump screwed him out of a walk and called a disgustingly obvious ball a strike? image )
  • Options
    I left the house to when it was 7-0 to watch the UFC fight. I am amazed it turned into a slugfest. This bullpen thing needs to get fixed in a hurry.
    Nice to see Youk starting hitting and Smoltz to pick up his first Sox win.
  • Options
    What a game? I'll bet Smoltz was trying to hide his change of address card in the later innings.

Drew seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. Shades of utter brilliance, like the throw to home to nail the runner...other times looking at strike 3, like a lot. Then he hits a home run. Well, for $95k per game, I guess you can't expect perfection. The called 3rd stike last night was clearly out of the zone and I don't blame him for grumbling, which he rarely does. The strike zone was whacky during the whole game. I also think Ellsbury got screwed at home, never got tagged, that of course was in Friday night's game.

Nice to see Youk back in form, and the Ortiz homer was refreshing. Is Pedroia a stud ball player or what? The Red Sox get every ounce out of him when he crosses the white lines. I suspect he and Ellsbury will be around for a long time.

Well, today's my BD, I'll settle for a solid Beckett performance and a nice Red Sox win before the break.

OMG...I got to see a Red Sox game on a Saturday. I guess the Yanks-LAA game ended early enough for them to allow the later games to be broadcast.

BTW, are the Angels nuking the Yankees or what??? imageimage
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Al. Have a cold one and watch Beckett throw a masterpiece, hopefully!
  • Options
    Thanks for the BD greeting Bob.

Just read that Pedroia will not be attending the AS game for "family reasons"...anyone got any ideas? WOW, what an honor to miss.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday AL!

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the BD greeting Bob.

Just read that Pedroia will not be attending the AS game for "family reasons"...anyone got any ideas? WOW, what an honor to miss. >>

His wife is pregnant and hospitalized. Apparently she's not due until August.
  • Options
    Beckett has looked great today. Maybe it's easy against KC? I don't know.
  • Options
    Nice way to end a less than spectacular homestand. I like to see them up at the break also. Lets hope the Angels get to CC today too!
  • Options

<< <i>Beckett has looked great today. Maybe it's easy against KC? I don't know. >>

66 strikes & 28 balls in a complete game.

Aaron Master Bates was 3 for 4 today at first base for the Sox. Kid was born in Manhattan, NY.
  • Options
    Buchholz will be making his first start of the year the Friday after the ASG per boston.com. Seems he will start that one game then head back to AAA, since two Sox starters (Wakefield and BecKett) are in the ASG.
  • Options
    It will be very interesting to see what Buchholz has even though it's most likely only one game
  • Options
    Did Beckett look good or what??!!!

Thanks Paul for the BD wish.

I did hear Orsillo talk about Dustin's wife's expecting...hope all goes well there. I didn't know that was the case.

Angels about to sweep the Yankees and we go up 3!! A nice number for the break.
  • Options
    Way to go in the break with a 3 game lead. Thanks to the Angels!
  • Options
    I hate the Angels. But for some reason I really liked them this weekend. (It didn't hurt that I happen to have Weaver, Lackey, and Fuentes on my fantasy team.) image

Going into the All-Star break we should be pretty happy about where the team stands.

Best record in the American League
    A 3 (or 3.5?) game lead over the Yankees
    Mostly healthy
    3rd in MLB in runs scored
    3rd in the AL in team ERA
    1st in MLB in Ks

And they got here despite a two-month slump of epic proportions for David Ortiz, some prolonged slumps from Youkilis and Bay, a slower start from Pedroia, Dice-K being terrible, etc.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    I like where the Sox are at the break. I don't like the bullpen
    all that much, with the exception of Paplebom and Baird.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    The bullpen has had a few letdowns along the way, but overall I think it has to be considered a real strength for the team.

Papelbon, 1-1, 23 saves, 41 Ks / 39 IP, 1.85 ERA
    Ramirez, 5-3, 2.33 ERA
    Delcarmen, 2-1, 2.41 ERA
    Bard, 1 save, 29 Ks in 24 2/3 IP, 2.55 ERA
    Okajima, 3-0, 38 K/38 IP, 3.32 ERA
    Saito, 2-2, 2 saves, 28 K/ 30 2/3 IP, 3.52 ERA

I think that is a solid pen.
  • Options
    Lately every time Delcarmen,Okijima and Ramirez come in
    I close my eyes or switch the stationimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I guess I understand that . . . but you've got to admit it is way better than when Mike Timlin came into a game last year.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I understand that . . . but you've got to admit it is way better than when Mike Timlin came into a game last year. >>

the Anti-Sandman
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I understand that . . . but you've got to admit it is way better than when Mike Timlin came into a game last year. >>

Timlin and Lopez drove me nuts last year.
    Collector Focus