Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what are you guys hearing? I guess we traded Kotsay for a no name with Baltimore?

Tell you what, I have not been into it as of late because I have been extremely busy and I hope when I can get back into this thread we will have a Halladay or Gonzo on our roster - if not? It will be another early exit from the playoffs this year assuming we get there.

Oh and if we dont land a decent free agent and lose or dont make the playoffs Im officially sick of Theo and his stupid little no name moves
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if/when Epstein pulls the trigger, it will be the first time we hear about it. He does things secretly every year. The move of Manny last year and Nomar in 2004 were surprises, that's the way he and the Sox work
  • Options
    wow, Penny has taken suckage to a new level today
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Our whole team blows at this point and we get to go on a road trip soon....UGGGH
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    Youk striking out 4 times tonight and the last one looking in a big spot was not pretty.
    Ortiz popping up in a big spot ,ugly.
    Not much to cheer about they are just in a bad stretch.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Not much to cheer about they are just in a bad stretch. >>

You took the words right out of my mouth (or is it right off the tips of my fingers since I'm typing?)

I'm thankful there's still a lot of time left in the season because this team couldn't be expected to do well if the postseason started tomorrow.
  • Options
    I'll be in Baltimore this weekend. Just look for me in one of the thirty thousand people with red sox attire on.

Sox will break out of this soon.
  • Options
    Have a great time! It looks like a great stadium. I hope to get there next year.
  • Options
    Hopefully today will be the emergance of the Red Sox we saw the first half- actually hopefully a better version.

Papi- No suprises here, hopefully you did one last batch to get you through the stretch run, then you can maybe try out for some A ball. ( Still love ya though )
  • Options
    So possibly the Indians catcher for Buchholz. What are your thoughts ????

I guess it's better then Gabbard for Gagne.

• Options
    I'll wait until something happens before even thinking about ramifications
  • Options

We get Victor Martinez! Well Theo you made a deal that includes a big name player- arguably one of the best hitters in the AL, the only knock on him as far as I can see is staying healthy which he has seemed to do this year.

Very happy to see a deal done!
  • Options
    nothing new tonight: Smoltz still sucks, yet he gets a win, thanks to a two-run shot by Youkilis
  • Options
    I will take a victory on the road regardless how many Boston fans where there.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Baltimore has been a home away from home lately!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad they used Bard to close. Even a 4 run lead is not safe with Cinco Ocho lately.
  • Options
    Only a 1/2 game out....things have gotten a little better! image
    Congrats to Beckett on number 13!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched between the Red Sox and Indians game. Indians and Detroit wore throw back uniforms, kinda different, but Masterson was in relief for 3 innings so I decided to watch him. How about 4 SOs, 1 walk and 2 hits. He appeared to be almost expressionless, like "what am I doing here?" kinda look. I, for one, was a bit disappointed to see him leave Fenway, I think he had a lot going for himself. Story is Cleveland will make him a starter once he gets "stretched out"...geez, the dude is 6'6" and weighs 250, isn't he stretched out enough already? I guess Theo couldn't toss in Saito or Smoltz and maybe a prospect or two for Martinez. Too bad Masterson got shot out to a sinking team (12 back) and away from the Red Sox who he pitched very well for. Sometimes life ain't fair.

Smoltz is probably still touting his 2-4 record, when it should really have been 1-5. Had it not been for Youk's homer, Smoltz would not have gotten the win, and was already out of the game. Smoltz and Saito are useless. Besides, Masterson was a key musician in the bullpen band, what to do now?

Gotta love those White Sox HAMMERING the Yankees in Chicago...how quickly the numbers can change. Big series in NY coming up, I doubt we'll sweep again, but a 50-50 split or better will work.

Bob...lemme know how the trip went.

• Options
    Within a 1/2 game is much better, hopefully we can put this together now and gain first for the remainder.

Lets go SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Drew drives in three then gets hurt!!! Whatever, I guess at least he contributed in the at bat........
  • Options
    Suchholz has returned, Francoma asleep at the helm again today image
  • Options
    Well at least we are plating enough run support.
  • Options
    Well at least we have something to cheer about. Lots of run supportimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Just back from a nice weekend sweep at Baltimore. The nicest part of the weekend was when the kid hit his first home
    run today. It bounced back into the ballpark after landing two rows into the left field seats. Pie from the Orioles flings it
    to the ballgirl on the left field line and she gives it to a kid in the stands.

They ask for the ball back from the kid, and the kid gives it to the ballgirl. The ballgirl throws the ball to the red sox
    dugout so Reddick could get the ball that he hit his first MLB home run. After the inning, the Red Sox bring out three
    balls. One of them was signed. Nice.
  • Options
    Nice game for V-Mart. I think well will do just fine for the Sox. Now lets keep the bats going against the Rays and Yankees
  • Options
    Huge series looming ahead. Time to make a statement!
  • Options
    Yeah, actually two huge back-to-back series starting today with AL East opponents. Then the Sox face two possible Wild Card contenders, Detroit and Texas. Doing well over these next 12 games would really make things easier down the stretch. I'd be happy with the Sox taking 8 or 9 of the 12.
  • Options
    The next 12 games are for sure going to be tough. They are all good teams with good pitching.
    If they want to make a run at the A.L Pennant they have to be able to beat these quality teams regularly.
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, actually two huge back-to-back series starting today with AL East opponents. Then the Sox face two possible Wild Card contenders, Detroit and Texas. Doing well over these next 12 games would really make things easier down the stretch. I'd be happy with the Sox taking 8 or 9 of the 12. >>

That would be huge!
  • Options
    A succesfull campain against the Rays and Yankees followed by Detroit & Texas will be HUGE for us, these games are going to tell us what kind of club we have IMO- V-Mat can prove to be a huge difference maker now...

It would be great if we were actually starting things off with hot bats as opposed to being mired in those foolish run scoring droughts- I just hope we didnt use them all up Sunday!
  • Options
    Well, at least Youkilis is heating up again.

I'm hoping that Lester can avoid having a blow-up inning like he seems to be prone to having lately. If both he and Beckett pitch like aces over the next two weeks I think the team will have a good shot at winning 9 of the next 12.
  • Options
    Friggin Halladay! Had to pick tonight to give up the long ball! image
  • Options
    Wow, warming up Sucholz for the 13th! Should be interesting. . . .

Drew in the 15th or 16th?
  • Options
  • Options
    "The Best bullpen in baseball" image blew a great outing by Lester.
  • Options

<< <i>"The Best bullpen in baseball" image blew a great outing by Lester. >>

After Bard hacked, they actually held it together until the last out of the 13th. I blame this more on the offense which could not come thorugh in the extra frames. Also, if Lester had not plunked the first batter in the 7th, I think they would have won -- that set the tone for the mini-collapse.
  • Options
    If Pedroia could have flown out instead of hitting into a double play!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Last night seriously left a bad taste in my mouth image

Lets make up for it tonight.
  • Options
    Two big losses to the Rays. Need more bad news???...Smoltz in NY tomorrow.
  • Options
    Not looking forward to this Yankees series if we are playing like we have been against Tampa. image
  • Options
    Yeah, it only took 2 games but I've already revised my hopes from going 9-3 to going 6-6 in this stretch.
  • Options
    Of the remaining games, we play 28 games with solid teams...Detroit, White Sox, Tampa, Yankees. This doesn't include games with Toronto and the Angels. I would say this 4-game series is more than a turning point, could be the season. The Yankees go to Fenway in a couple of weeks and that could be the door slammer.

The LOBs and failure to capitalize on RISPs has killed us. Home runs are fine, but SOLO home runs don't add up too quickly.

It ain't over yet, but at this point, highly unlikely we'll go 12-0 against the Yankees, I'd say we'll be very fortunate to get a split, if so, and the Yankees tank, things could turn around.

This Yankees seres is definitely a "For Whom The Bell Tolls" moment.

Of course there is always the wildcard, which is how 2004 happened. I'm hangin' with my team till the last out is called. How I wish it weren't Smoltz tonight, I hope he changes my mind.
  • Options
    I'm fine with a wild card entry too . . . but it's always nice to win the Division. Either way, I assume that the Wild Card will come out of the AL East again this year.

Two things have been bugging me lately: Jason Bay and JD Drew. Neither one of them can hit anymore. Bay's homer yesterday was his first in something like a month! That's almost as bad as the start of Big Papi's season. And I still feel like all Bay does is either walk or strikeout. It gets annoying to me after a while.

And I'm sure I don't need to explain to anyone on this board what is wrong with JD Drew. Frankly, I'd like to see Reddick play a lot more than I would Drew. He looks pretty good so far.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing the last two homers tonight (Damon and Kotchmann), I think Roger Maris would've hit 80-90 homers in 1961 if he'd had this field to play onimage

Hell, no telling how many Ruth would've hitimageimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    It's painful to watch Smoltz pitch.
  • Options
    It's got to be time for Smoltz to know that he's done.
    More runners left on base....
  • Options
    Ok can we just release Smoltz? This is beyond stupid now. image
  • Options

<< <i>A succesfull campain against the Rays and Yankees followed by Detroit & Texas will be HUGE for us, these games are going to tell us what kind of club we have IMO- V-Mat can prove to be a huge difference maker now...

It would be great if we were actually starting things off with hot bats as opposed to being mired in those foolish run scoring droughts- I just hope we didnt use them all up Sunday! >>

Oh dont mind me.... just quoting myself to help think back before these last 3 freakin' games image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A succesfull campain against the Rays and Yankees followed by Detroit & Texas will be HUGE for us, these games are going to tell us what kind of club we have IMO- V-Mat can prove to be a huge difference maker now...

It would be great if we were actually starting things off with hot bats as opposed to being mired in those foolish run scoring droughts- I just hope we didnt use them all up Sunday! >>

Oh dont mind me.... just quoting myself to help think back before these last 3 freakin' games image >>

Yeah...what THEY said!
    Hang in there Perk...get off the ledge.
  • Options
    The Red Sox picked a fine time to lose to Yankees!! I guess there is another 3 games with them!
    I am really starting to question Epstein. They could have signed an arm and a bat before the season started but were
    way too cheap. Instead they decide to trade one of our best young arms for a bat?????????????
    Collector Focus