Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Official 2008 Platinum W thread for the new prices

Comments

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭
    My 2 orders went from "On Hold" to "In Process" matbe here by the end of the week!image
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    two week backorder,

looks like the tenths are toast,
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest Plat Pops...pretty low, for now anyway!!! image

• Options
  • Options
    Why would back order mean they are toast? Could it be that they are just back logged in filling orders, but have plenty or coins? I am curious about the process in which they remove items from their catalog so let me hear the process.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently all the PCGS 2008-W plats certified to date are First Strikes, except for a few burnished $50. It looks like all the FS are included in the overall totals, even though the PCGS numbers are different.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    The pops are quite strange.....the FS slabs have the same pops as the Non FS slabs in most cases!!!

Anyone understand that phenomina??? image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that PCGS has assigned a coin # for the non first strikes, but very few have been graded if any.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Why would back order mean they are toast? Could it be that they are just back logged in filling orders, but have plenty or coins? I am curious about the process in which they remove items from their catalog so let me hear the process. >>

Normally they go backorder, before they become dark. Not on all things! But coins that were pretty sure, there not gonna make anymore. But, Say 2008 Proof sets go backorder. They do sometimes, when there first released. When they get caught back up. There "in stock" again, because they will make more of them, till next year is released. But in cases like this, when there backorder, they normally go dark afterwards. That's just how the mint, normally works. If they decide to mint more, then they will become "In Stock" Then were all screwed!!! But really, why not make more, if you can sell them for $1300 an ounce? The USmint says there not gonna make anything, after they run out of planchets, but as far as i can tell, thats only on the bullion coins. They never said anything about the collector coins. Don't let that confuse anyone! You never know what the mint, is gonna do! Who ever thought, these coins would ever even, come back out again, With platinum, at these current levels?
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please tell me that First Strike is a dead issue! This turkey laid to rest a long time ago...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    again, as stated earlier, you never know which way the USM will go but -

we were told all remaining stock will be sold.

in that case, going black is a good thing, especially a two week backorder for those who remember Dec 2006.....
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I believe that the 2006 unc. w's are going to hold there position as the lowest minted coins in recent history. Read all the threads involving platinum the last couple of days. You have some people buying these coins by the hundreds and still nothing black. Platinum may not have a great collector base. It is no secret that these are back for sale and there is a lot of time for the mint to sell. A lot will be told when some new mintage figures come out.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that the 2006 unc. w's are going to hold there position as the lowest minted coins in recent history. Read all the threads involving platinum the last couple of days. You have some people buying these coins by the hundreds and still nothing black. Platinum may not have a great collector base. It is no secret that these are back for sale and there is a lot of time for the mint to sell. A lot will be told when some new mintage figures come out. >>

image But! They really didn't sell any, the short time, they were out before! The prices were a little hard to handle. Not now tho!
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that the 2006 unc. w's are going to hold there position as the lowest minted coins in recent history. Read all the threads involving platinum the last couple of days. You have some people buying these coins by the hundreds and still nothing black. Platinum may not have a great collector base. It is no secret that these are back for sale and there is a lot of time for the mint to sell. A lot will be told when some new mintage figures come out. >>

I think you cancelled too early. This may not be the game for you.

They are going black now. I'm betting the mint only made one production run. It will be a flippers paradise. especially BEFORE the official mintage numbers come out because all potential buyers will be speculating on the low mintage. Most people love to gamble. Its the thrill an hope of getting something for nothing (in this case, speculative profits).

Its a risk free proposition to buy them.... for the next 30 days at least.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you called it correctly!! The 1/10 ouncers in Uncirculated are "No Longer Available"!!
    Thanks for the heads up and discussion as I was able to get a few before the descent.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, you called it correctly!! The 1/10 ouncers in Uncirculated are "No Longer Available"!!
    Thanks for the heads up and discussion as I was able to get a few before the descent.

Miles >>

This seems to indicate that there will not be any more 08s produced, and when the current stock is out they will be gone for good.
    Good news for those of us spent the cash not wanting to miss the boat on the next modern rarity. A gamble, I know, but with little down side @ $1233/oz for the 4 coin unc set.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered #30218xxxxxx...10 1/10 proofs. In stock & reserved... 30 days to decide to keep,return,send for grading,or sell...............I forgot how nice the reverse design was(have not looked at for months) and that overcame my misgivings about ordering......................Now, do I go for anymoreimage
  • Options
    Ok guys,

I am in for:

order#302070xx
    2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 1/2 OZ 3 $619.95 $1,859.85 In stock and reserved
    2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 1/4 OZ 3 $319.95 $959.85 In stock and reserved
    2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/4 OZ 3 $349.95 $1,049.85 In stock and reserved
    2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/10 OZ 9 $149.95 $1,349.55 In stock and reserved

And i just doubled down to add:

order#302189xx
    2008 AE PLAT PRF 4 COIN 1 2,419.95 $2,419.95 In stock and reserved
    2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 4 COIN 1 $2,219.95 $2,219.95 In stock and reserved

What the heck! I will hold for 30 days, and if it is a bust, BACK THEY GO!!!

Good luck all!

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of questions now that the 1/10 unc is black. Do they still have 1/10 allocated only to the four-coin set? What happens if they get 100's of 1/10 uncs returned over the next month? Once they are "no longer available" are they ever returned to "available" status?

Thanks
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a couple of questions now that the 1/10 unc is black. Do they still have 1/10 allocated only to the four-coin set? What happens if they get 100's of 1/10 uncs returned over the next month? Once they are "no longer available" are they ever returned to "available" status?

Thanks >>

The 1/10 ounce can be purchased in the 4 coin set only. If they get a ton of returns that just means less coins for the general public. The thing about these are is if Platinum goes back to over $2k all of the keys won't sell for much over the common dates just like the 06's. The 04 proofs have held up better than any of the Plats in an up market. The keys will provide downward trend protection though.
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a couple of questions now that the 1/10 unc is black. Do they still have 1/10 allocated only to the four-coin set? What happens if they get 100's of 1/10 uncs returned over the next month? Once they are "no longer available" are they ever returned to "available" status?

<< <i>

<< <i>

In answer, the US Mint can do anything they want to. If they get a lot of returns, they can return to "available" status. They did that earlier this year when platinum was near all time highs and resold some 2007-W 1 oz platinum coins.

As other writers have said, this is a speculation. But it has the look of a historical low mintage for the 08-W's per Eric and 7/8. They have been right in the past!
  • Options

<< <i>In answer, the US Mint can do anything they want to. If they get a lot of returns, they can return to "available" status. They did that earlier this year when platinum was near all time highs and resold some 2007-W 1 oz platinum coins.

As other writers have said, this is a speculation. But it has the look of a historical low mintage for the 08-W's per Eric and 7/8. They have been right in the past! >>

I've never seen an item become available once it's been added to the No Longer Available list. The key question is how many sets are still available.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭✭
    Just put a serious dent in the wallet with 1/4 UNCs. My 1/10's are currently on a fedex truck. They sure shipped these quickly considering my second order was Sunday night and it is due for delivery the same day as my Friday order(Wednesday). It looks to me like the Mint wants these Plats off their books and out the door ASAP. I don't recall a high dollar order being shipped this quickly previously as my second order was processed and shipped in less than 36 hours. They have always put big dollar orders on hold while they apparently checked CC info more closely. Take this for what its worth. I think it means they are done with W Plats for 08. This week reminds me alot of 2006.
  • Options
    Manorcourtman

I think your assessment is on the money
  • Options

<< <i>Manorcourtman

I think your assessment is on the money >>

And I think that your assessment of Manorcourtman's assessment is on the money as well image
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manorcourtman - One huge difference now - no "investor" I know wants to be "stuck" with a single 2008-w coin like they were "stuck" with 06-W coins. My "marching orders" are expected to be to SELL EVERYTHING ASAP. It will obviously be a "buyers market" on ebay for the next 30-60 days and I would not be surprised if "profits" turned out to be modest on most of the coins going into 2009. Once those credit cards start coming due, it will become a "perfect storm" for further price reductions as well. But, as has been expressed here many times - to many, the "risk" is only the time and effort in returning most or all of the coins to the US Mint asssuming the mintages turn out "too high". Not a heavy price to pay at all for the "ACTION".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I agree Wondercoin. However, if these do prove to be the "Keys" it may not be that bad to hold a few for long term as well.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin: sage words of wisdom and I tend to agree. This is a momentary "blip" of excitement that will stabilize. How is everybody going to hold on to all of these 1/10 oz. coins?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Wondercoin: Just out of curiosity, what are the 2006's going for? I have a 1oz PCGS MS70 (FS) that I plan to keep in my collection but it is always a good idea to know what the going rate is.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options

<< <i>Wondercoin: Just out of curiosity, what are the 2006's going for? I have a 1oz PCGS MS70 (FS) that I plan to keep in my collection but it is always a good idea to know what the going rate is. >>

I just sold one recently on the bay for around $2000. Considerable drop off from the high of $4200 I sold several for in early 2007.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    well, Wondercoin is right that some bulk buyers will probably be ooking for a quick exit.

Still, at $135 a pop it just doesn't take that much for the 1/10 oz to be profitable.

There was a market for these back when the Mint's price was $260, and if the mintages are low, the 1/10 oz price isn't going to be married to bullion value.

That's the primary advantage the smaller fractionals have over larger coins. They are inherently more affordable to the average joe collector and therefore have more room to run.

If history has shown us anything, it's that collectors are price sensitive.

At low price points, there is a complete disconnect from metal value; desirability is the thing that's important.

It's always going to be much easier for a low cost coin to command multiples of issue price/melt value than for a high cost coin.

A low mintage $10 coin issued for $135 is going to have a much better chance of seling for $270 on the secondary market than a $1215 $100 coin will of reaching $2430, even though in each case it would be 2x issue price. I'm sure that there economists who have complex theories of why this is, but it really boils down to affordability. There is a much larger pool of collectors who can afford to make a $270 purchase than a $2430 purchase. And while the current financial crisis is causing many to tighten their purse strings, I still expect that there is a good-size pool of collectors willing to make a secondary market purchase of a low mintage coin with room to grow. We have some framework for the 2008 ws.

The 2006 ws, with a mintage of about 3,500, and the 2007 ws, with a mintage of about 6,000.

2006 ws have dropped off a bit (in part due to bullion drop, in part due to uncertainty about key status with the 2008s going dark prematurely). At present, they're probably commanding about $400 or so in MS69. 2007 ws are around $200 in MS69.

Assuming 2008 ws come in somewhere between the two, say 5,000, they could end up around $270-$300. Not the biggest percentage increase in recent memory, but still a nice return over issue price. If 2008s come in at, or even lower, than 2006 ws, they will probably do even better.

In some ways, 2008 ws may even benefit from the fact they are not FS eligible; FS creates an artificial dividing line for the 2006 ws; all things being equal, people prefer FS coins, which makes the raw or non-FS coins seem less desirable. Since a large number of 2008s will not be FS eligible, and since the 1,165 that were FS eligible were acquired at $260 ($125 more than current issue price); then all things being equal the FS coins would need to sell for $125 more than non-FS coins to keep the playing field level. As much as some people like FS coins, I don't think that support for that kind of premium will exist. For instance, an early buyer of a 2008 w coin that graded MS69 FS would need to sell that coin for about $300 just to hit break even (factoring in grading costs). Meanwhile, a non-FS 2008 w buyer only needs to sell at $135 to hit breakeven. The spread is too big to support. For that reason, I think people will shift buying habits, and start to see FS for the sham designation that it is. I expect that the pricing difference between FS and nonFS coins will end up somewhere around $20.

The folks who bought 1,165 for $260 probably will not take a loss... they'll probably hold their coins and be unwilling to sell for less than they paid; if that's the case, it effectively takes 1,165 of whatever the total mintage is off the market until the price hits $260 - which again suggests a logical potential floor for 2008 w unc $10 secondary price. At this point, it's about mintages, but my expectation at this point is that if mintages are 4,000-5,000, these could easily settle out around $300+/- coins raw or in MS69. If mintages surprise us and end up lower than 2006 w, there's only upside from there. If mintages surprise the other way, and we end up with 6,000, they'll probably still hold their value at $135+
    Dan
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I just sold one recently on the bay for around $2000. Considerable drop off from the high of $4200 I sold several for in early 2007.

$2,000 sounds about right; range should be around $1900 to $2200.

Half of the problem for the 2006 w coins was the bullion drop from $2200 to $900, another half of the problem was concern that the 2008s would stay dark and not only replace, but crush, the 2006 as the key, and the last half of the problem is concerns about the financial crisis.

Dan
  • Options
    1/4 Uncircs are on backorder now.
  • Options
    You know.......... With all of you guys buying up the UNCs, what makes you think the proofs won't be just as low mintage?

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭✭
    2008 American Eagle One-Quarter Ounce Platinum Uncirculated Coin (T8C)

Price: $319.95 Qty. More Info.

Product will be available for shipping 11/05/2008

1/4 oz UNC are gone............image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One huge difference now - no "investor" I know wants to be "stuck" with a single 2008-w coin like they were "stuck" with 06-W coins. My "marching orders" are expected to be to SELL EVERYTHING ASAP.

wondercoin - I must be the only sucker, whoops, I mean "investor" who is holding most of the Plats that he's ever bought (with an occasional dispersal or two). I just never seem to have the time to market them. So, I'm still "stuck" with stuff.image

A low mintage $10 coin issued for $135 is going to have a much better chance of seling for $270 on the secondary market than a $1215 $100 coin will of reaching $2430, even though in each case it would be 2x issue price. I'm sure that there economists who have complex theories of why this is, but it really boils down to affordability. There is a much larger pool of collectors who can afford to make a $270 purchase than a $2430 purchase.

nycounsel - I agree that the near term profit potential is higher for the 1/10 ozers, mainly due to the affordability. OTOH, I like the larger coins simply because of the economies of scale in having to make fewer transactions when the time comes to sell. Having a smattering of various denominations allows some flexibility in what to sell, and when. Also, there's a nominally smaller markup from the Mint on the bigger coins, and sets. And besides, those little 1/10 ozers are too easy to drop, and too hard to see.image

FWIW, I don't pursue MS-70 or PR-70 coins because that smidgeon of extra flawlessness is not my issue, nor is the Registry. I've decided that MS-69 or PR-69 is absolutely required, however. And FS is a non-starter for me, because it is a meaningless designation - per the Mint's own explanation of their shipping practices. Hey, it's a label, but if I can net a few extra bucks by "making" my own, so much the better.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know.......... With all of you guys buying up the UNCs, what makes you think the proofs won't be just as low mintage?

image >>

Good question ... the proofs also had a very low mintage up to the point when they went dark...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know.......... With all of you guys buying up the UNCs, what makes you think the proofs won't be just as low mintage?

ozzyfan, the proofs may well be just as good an investment, and a darned sight prettier, too. One thing to consider - the uncs are "minted to demand" and that is code for "no more after October". The proofs could very well be minted again and sold well into 2009, as they have been in other years. This year could be different, because the Mint has already announced that the fractionals of both platinum and gold are being discontinued for the year, which "probably" applies to the proofs as well.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jmski52, I agree. The UNCs are ugly, and the 1/10ths are so small. I really didn't want to go all in on tiny ugly coins. LOL.

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2008 American Eagle One-Quarter Ounce Platinum Uncirculated Coin (T8C)

Price: $319.95 Qty. More Info.

Product will be available for shipping 11/05/2008

1/4 oz UNC are gone............image >>

WOW, that was quick.
    I ordered 5 an hour or so ago and they went in stock and reserved.

Joe

• Options

<< <i>You know.......... With all of you guys buying up the UNCs, what makes you think the proofs won't be just as low mintage?

ozzyfan, the proofs may well be just as good an investment, and a darned sight prettier, too. One thing to consider - the uncs are "minted to demand" and that is code for "no more after October". The proofs could very well be minted again and sold well into 2009, as they have been in other years. This year could be different, because the Mint has already announced that the fractionals of both platinum and gold are being discontinued for the year, which "probably" applies to the proofs as well. >>

If the 1/4oz unc is on back-order doesn't that imply that they will be minting more?
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    They just put that up to get a few more orders in case of returns.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the 1/4oz unc is on back-order doesn't that imply that they will be minting more? >>

The 1/10ths said the same thing yesterday.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i> >>

bumping my post count
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If the 1/4oz unc is on back-order doesn't that imply that they will be minting more? >>

The 1/10ths said the same thing yesterday. >>

I'm really going out on a limb...I believe the Unc. 1/4 ozers will go black Wednesday by Sunset!! image
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm really going out on a limb...I believe the Unc. 1/4 ozers will go black Wednesday by Sunset!! image >>

I would said tonight.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm really going out on a limb...I believe the Unc. 1/4 ozers will go black Wednesday by Sunset!! image >>

Is that a fact or a prediction. Just need to clarify for Manorcourtman image
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TENTH OUNCE NO LONGER AVAILABLE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    OK then, let me talk all the board members into melting their 08 platinum coins to make beautiful shiny platinum bars!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file