Home U.S. Coin Forum

Official 2008 Platinum W thread for the new prices

Comments

• If you are in "Backorder"....you are not going to get the coins.

FloridaBill

• << <i>If you are in "Backorder"....you are not going to get the coins.

FloridaBill >>

Hey FB, is that a fact or is that a prediction? Just want to clarify for Manorcourtman image

basically just boosting my thread count, LOL
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are in "Backorder"....you are not going to get the coins.

FloridaBill >>

Who knows, with platinum prices dropping every day, these coins are worth about 50% of their current price if melted, some people might return them.

As for the low mintage, no one has any money to buy coins, if they have the money, there are other things that are selling at historical low prices for them to buy.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Low Mintage means big profits

The BS about people having no money.......have you been to the mall lately?

As money flows out of the equity and debt markets, money money to be placed in metals and coins (and please dont quote the declining Plat/Gold/Silver PAPER markets)
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Some people have no money. Some people have lots of money. Same as usual.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The BS about people having no money.......have you been to the mall lately? >>

Money doesn't disappear! When someone loses money, someone else finds it.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BS about people having no money.......have you been to the mall lately?

Yes, and folks continue to live above their means and use credit cards not "money" like water. This credit will be the next "bailout" we will see because they have no money to pay it back.

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>If you are in "Backorder"....you are not going to get the coins.

FloridaBill >>

Fedex just dropped off my 1/4's ordered Tuesday, the coins look OK except for 1 and a few of the boxes were krinkled a bit. My order for 1/4's placed "Wednesday the 22nd" has changed from ON HOld to In Process...image
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    I probably made a mistake, but I ordered some plats, and i must say i have NEVER seen the mint ship so quickly......I guess they are really trying to get rid of these things image

<< <i>

<< <i>The BS about people having no money.......have you been to the mall lately? >>

Money doesn't disappear! When someone loses money, someone else finds it. >>

I wish that was always true image
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Money doesn't disappear! When someone loses money, someone else finds it. >>

Money do disappear when people default on their debts and when companies are going bankrupt. Look at countries where their currencies had disappeared.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I picked up my 1/4's and 1/2 at Fedex today.
    I missed them yesterday.

They are on their way to PCGS now.

Man, those 1/4's are small!!!. I can't imagine what a 1/10 oz. looks like in hand.

Joe
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FedEx just handed me my tenth ozer.

Ren
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received my 1/4 oz unc. unfortunately, once again, not MS70 PCGS material ... I'm batting 100% on the proof & unc. ... bummerimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received my 1/4 oz unc. unfortunately, once again, not MS70 PCGS material ... I'm batting 100% on the proof & unc. ... bummerimage >>

What is the fine line between an MS69 and an MS70 Plat??

Please advise

<< <i>

<< <i>Just received my 1/4 oz unc. unfortunately, once again, not MS70 PCGS material ... I'm batting 100% on the proof & unc. ... bummerimage >>

Please advise >>

Clean surface & rim w/o the tiny specs & superior strike. Those tiny specs are 70 killers....( I use a 5 power magnifying glass & a 100w incadescent lamp....rotate the coin back & forth...if there are "ticks" on it...you'll spot them.. and don't forget the rim...unlike NGC, I believe PCGS does take the rim into account)
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Just got 3 fractionals and they all look great. I didn't detect any flaws under 10X power--a vast improvement over my order earlier in the summer!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • I received 4 of my 5 orders today for Quarter uncs and they look really nice. The 5th order should arrive on Monday!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Differences between 69 and 70 are in theory technical, but in fact are probably subjective. What I have seen (other than the obvious) is pinpoint luster loss secondary to die erosion in the frosted devices or slight defects on the INNER border of the rim as it is adjacent to the field. This should be sharp and defined but in fact sometimes does not strike up fully - this in not wear but rather technically an incomplete strike. With an incomplete strike there will be the slightest roughness to this border.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I guess the ones that ordered the 1/10s got them shipped by burro, mine are AWOL so far.
    5 of 6 1/4oz Uncs sending back to mint.

Small pit under left wing on one.

But 4 had a scratch on Liberty's left elbow...all were very similar.

I suggest you use a 10x loupe and a good light source!!!

Damn, I'm really disappointed....such a great looking coin!!!!!

I'll post Dino-Light pics tonight!!!! image

• << <i>5 of 6 1/4oz Uncs sending back to mint.

I'll post Dino-Light pics tonight!!!! image >>

sorry to hear that, you might want to sell them on ebay, this one just sold for $499.95 #370101889046
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Please advise >>

Clean surface & rim w/o the tiny specs & superior strike. Those tiny specs are 70 killers....( I use a 5 power magnifying glass & a 100w incadescent lamp....rotate the coin back & forth...if there are "ticks" on it...you'll spot them.. and don't forget the rim...unlike NGC, I believe PCGS does take the rim into account) >>

Isn't it amazing how we've all (myself certainly included) gotten sucked in to the MS/PF 70 obsession when you need to use a 5 power loop, just the right lighting and rotate the coins just so to see any difference between a 69 and a 70 AND after doing all that and submitting the coins they may well still come back as 69s? It's just nuts.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Is there any incentive to leave them unopened?
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>Is there any incentive to leave them unopened? >>

Not that I can see. In fact, I always wonder if a box is empty when it's not opened.
    USAF vet 1951-59
    I called UPS and the burros don't want to deliver the coins today.

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there any incentive to leave them unopened? >>

Only for FS eligible...and that seems to me to be a gamble not worth taking. I'd guess 90%+ will come back 69 or lower.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Please advise >>

Clean surface & rim w/o the tiny specs & superior strike. Those tiny specs are 70 killers....( I use a 5 power magnifying glass & a 100w incadescent lamp....rotate the coin back & forth...if there are "ticks" on it...you'll spot them.. and don't forget the rim...unlike NGC, I believe PCGS does take the rim into account) >>

Isn't it amazing how we've all (myself certainly included) gotten sucked in to the MS/PF 70 obsession when you need to use a 5 power loop, just the right lighting and rotate the coins just so to see any difference between a 69 and a 70 AND after doing all that and submitting the coins they may well still come back as 69s? It's just nuts. >>

Your absolutely correct, however, it will eliminate most 68's from being graded by PCGS & nobody wants a "modern" with a 68.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FedEx just handed me my tenth ozer.

Ren >>

Well, that's what I thought because the Mint website said so. What I got was a $50 half oz. And charged as such. Anyone else have this issue?

Ren
    sending them back may get you a refund, but an exchange when they are sold out will not be possible....

you may want to think twice

<< <i>

<< <i>5 of 6 1/4oz Uncs sending back to mint.

I'll post Dino-Light pics tonight!!!! image >>

sorry to hear that, you might want to sell them on ebay, this one just sold for $499.95 #370101889046 >>

He can't sell them now that he's seen the pit and the scratches....image Just one reason not to open the boxes....image All kidding aside I'd hang onto them, coins aren't made to be perfect...

<< <i>sending them back may get you a refund, but an exchange when they are sold out will not be possible....

you may want to think twice >>

I understand that.

But would you keep these???

Check out 4 of 4 elbow gouges!!! What are those odds????

Oh, that's just a scar from carrying around that big knife...image At 400x it reads DADDY...and Heck, it's probably an error...

<< <i>Oh, that's just a scar from carrying around that big knife...image >>

You know, I actually thought that too!! image

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh, that's just a scar from carrying around that big knife...image >>

You know, I actually thought that too!! image >>

Geez really it's kinda scary, A Big Chick in a robe with a knife, blindfolded...Hunny.... I'm home.....image
  • Looks like an old surgery site
    It will forever be known as the "Tommy John" die, special designation at PCGS,... only 4 madeimage
    Buy the dips!!!
    look like a "strike thru" foreign material on the die.

again, I have to re-iterate, a return of backorder or sold out coins does not guarantee a replacement, most likely gets you a refund.

if these coins go sub 06-w mintages, ANY raw coin will be 2-3x higher than issue

would you want to send back that profit margin?
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    It's pretty sad to see Platinum coins like that. What on earth are they doing to them. These aren't that soft 24 karat gold. Platinum is very hard.

Considering they only made a couple thousand of these (or whatever) , you'd think they would be in better shape.

Now all she needs is a tattoo to go along with the scar.
  • Ord #30220XXX......in process ship date 11/08. Placed mine on the 21st. Hope I dont goldbully's returns.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
    I posted this August 4th in the PM forum......

Me thinks an adjustment is on the way....what say ye???

• << <i>

<< <i>sending them back may get you a refund, but an exchange when they are sold out will not be possible....

you may want to think twice >>

I understand that.

But would you keep these???

Check out 4 of 4 elbow gouges!!! What are those odds????

image >>

Yes I would keep them. uncle sam needs the money, try to be a little more patriotic. " Joe Biden " image
  • Goldbully,

I purchased two $25 UNCs and they both have the same elbow gouge problem as yours. The $25 UNC in the four-coin set doesn't have the elbow gouge, but it has a pit in the base on the reverse. It looks like MS70's for the $25 will be hard to get.

Only about 50% of the coins I received look problem-free. I have major hits on the Statue of Liberty's cheek on two $50 PRFs. These are definitely going back. On the other hand, I'm very pleased with all four coins in the four-coin PRF set.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    OK Guys, have you read the posts and know that tenths and quarters are GONE, SOLD OUT

I know some of you are looking for that one "70" to hold onto and think that by cycling thru these denominations thru returns is the way to go.....

I will repeat myself.....

have you read the posts and know that tenths and quarters are GONE, SOLD OUT

So, in conclusion, what you will get is your money back - a REFUND, not an EXCHANGE

If these coins turn out to be the low mintage dream coins of a lifetime, you will be deeply saddened when that coin you return with the "strike thru" or "bagmark" that would ONLY achieve MS69 status

are going for 2-3x issue on the secondary market, for ANYTHING.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    i don't see a point in talking people out of returning. By all means, return them, no doubt someone who is on backorder will appreciate having it.
    Dan
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldbully, I received two 1/4 ozer Burnished Uncs with the same strike-through. Aside from the mark on the arm, my coins have no other noticeable marks or flaws. My opinion - I would still venture an MS-69 grade on these in PCGS-land, but the coins I have are clean otherwise and the finish is nicer than last year.

I can't make out the marks with the naked eye (getting old), but I can easily see them with 5X, and with 10X. I characterize them as "small contact marks" even though they are indeed strikethroughs. The arm is a focal point, but the marks aren't severe enough to knock them down below MS-69, unless there are some other flaws on the coins, IMO.

Maybe we've got the rare "Liberty on a Knife Rampage" Variety.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the four 1/4's I have, 2 had hits in an identical location -- both just above GB's reverse hits on the 1st pic (with red arrow).

Both have a very small pixel hit obverse below the E.

No arm gouges on any. 2 "seem" rather perfect -- I'm no pro at this though.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

My microscopic 1/10s are being loaded on the mail burro, hopefully they arrive soon.

I think the misconception here is that returns for exchanges will be honored, that's not true in a sold out situation, you will get a refund.

I am not trying to persuade anyone to not return, i'm sure there are plenty of backordered customers that would love to have that low mintage beauty they can peddle for 2-3x issue....
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file