Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Official 2008 Platinum W thread for the new prices

Comments

• Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it will be interesting to see what happens on ebay.

i don't think that many people are interested in these at this point, or are even aware that the $10 and $25 coins were available and are no longer available.

If that's the case, I doubt there will be sufficient demand to drive prices up right off the bat.

There needs to be time for people outside of this thread to get information about the mintages, etc., to drive sales. >>

Are you sure the $25 uncs are no longer available?
  • Options
    I am as sure as you are. image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if my $620 version of the $25 coin is any nicer than my upcoming $320 version? Rejects?

I want to slab the 3-coin set...does PCGS do this like the other guys?

Ren
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it will be interesting to see what happens on ebay.

i don't think that many people are interested in these at this point, or are even aware that the $10 and $25 coins were available and are no longer available.

If that's the case, I doubt there will be sufficient demand to drive prices up right off the bat.

There needs to be time for people outside of this thread to get information about the mintages, etc., to drive sales. >>

I agree. I'm not sure these are really flippable. It could be a long term hold as people absorb the meaning of the super low mintage. and of course I could be totally wrong.

The Proofs on the other hand will be, IMHO, as there is a collector base for these. The Unc. "W" is still an unknown. Thus, I'm going with the Proofs.

• Options
    I received my $50 UNC this morning. If it's a reject, I don't see anything wrong with it.

My $25 UNC is still in process.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I wonder if my $620 version of the $25 coin is any nicer than my upcoming $320 version? Rejects?

Before selling the remaining $25 and $10 coins at a reduced price, I have it on good authority that the Mint placed the coins in a big jar, added some rusty nails, and shook vigorously for 5 to 10 minutes.

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Still waiting for my orders to get off of HOLD status........ >>

You may want to let your credit card company know to expect a charge from the mint. Sometimes that is where the holdup occurs and if the mint does not get the money they cancel your order
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Still waiting for my orders to get off of HOLD status........ >>

You may want to let your credit card company know to expect a charge from the mint. Sometimes that is where the holdup occurs and if the mint does not get the money they cancel your order >>

Thanks for the advice. I had this happen before so I was prepared and I did call them. They have been approved (my limit has been lowered by the amount of the order) but not charged. Should I call the Mint today or wait until tomorrow (I placed my orders on 10/21)?
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    Sounds like you are OK
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I just received my order for 08-W plats fractionals which I placed on Sunday.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm good for two sets of the uncs. I really see a winner here, folks.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    If my order is "in process" does that mean it will ship?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    It should ship. Yes.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my $50 Unc today. Doesn't look like a reject to me, but WDIK...

My pair of $25 Uncs are still on hold...
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order of unc tenths now shows:

2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 1/10 OZ 14 units reserved, 26 units backordered. Expected to ship on 11/06/2008.

I wonder if the the partial fill is based on some sort of allocation ratio, or if I'm actually on the borderline between available and sold out?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Alright guys, sonebody needs to go check on the Fedex guys over in Tennessee, after indicating all of my orders would be delivered this morning, now it's indicating on all orders:

Oct 21, 2008 7:56 PM

Arrived at FedEx location

MEMPHIS, TN

I don't remember that happening before....
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright guys, sonebody needs to go check on the Fedex guys over in Tennessee, after indicating all of my orders would be delivered this morning, now it's indicating on all orders:

MEMPHIS, TN

image >>

Same for me. I called fedex earlier today and was given some lip service about how it will be delivered tomorrow.
    I think it is more likely someone took off with some packages image

Oct 21, 2008 7:56 PM Arrived at FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN
    7:26 PM Left FedEx origin facility MEMPHIS, TN
    4:50 PM Picked up MEMPHIS, TN
    4:07 AM Package data transmitted to FedEx

No update for over 24hrs.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    started receiving orders today......
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received a 4-coin set and a $50 today.
  • Options
    My cancel boxes are gone but that is it for me. I ordered on Monday night.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>Alright guys, sonebody needs to go check on the Fedex guys over in Tennessee, after indicating all of my orders would be delivered this morning, now it's indicating on all orders:

MEMPHIS, TN

image >>

Also happened to me yesterday. The tracking only showed arriving in Memphis. It didn't show leaving Memphis, arriving in San Diego or out for delivery. First I knew was when the FexEx man knocked on my door.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

MEMPHIS, TN

image >>

Also happened to me yesterday. The tracking only showed arriving in Memphis. It didn't show leaving Memphis, arriving in San Diego or out for delivery. First I knew was when the FexEx man knocked on my door. >>

Making progress, Gents!!!!!!

• Options
    Guys keep watching that spot price.
    It continues to drop.

The one ounce slugs are now almost $400 over spot for the Uncs and higher for the proofs.

It may not effect the 1/10s or the 1/4s singles but it means its getting more and more expensive to keep the 1/2s and the 1 oz.

If spot cracks $800 we could see a lot of 4 coin sets, 1/2s and 1 oz. coins getting returned a second time just before Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    What does the mint do with returns? Resell them?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

MEMPHIS, TN

image >>

Also happened to me yesterday. The tracking only showed arriving in Memphis. It didn't show leaving Memphis, arriving in San Diego or out for delivery. First I knew was when the FexEx man knocked on my door. >>

Making progress, Gents!!!!!!

image >>

Not progress. More like hmm... picked up twice and left the origin facility twice image
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem. I have been calling Fed Ex today trying to figure out what was going on. Thanks for posting this I was worried these were lost. I feel better now
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does the mint do with returns? Resell them? >>

Yes. image
  • Options
    As I said on the PM forum........"Holy Carp!!!!!!!!"" $818!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image >>

• Options
    At $800 spot on tonights world market it looks like a lot of 1/2, 1 oz and 4 coin sets will be going back just before Thanksgiving..............
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭
    I would buy more if US Platinum coin is priced at 15% above spot at any given time
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

At $800 spot on tonights world market it looks like a lot of 1/2, 1 oz and 4 coin sets will be going back just before Thanksgiving..............

I doubt that many half ounce coins will be returned, considering the likely low mintage.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    If you read EricJ's post on the other thread for the potential low mintages on these, returning is not an option.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The more returns the lower the sales will be for everyone else.
  • Options
    at a mintage number less than 06w, the return option is a fool's play
  • Options
    i got 44 - 1/10s unc, 5 - 1/4s unc, 5 - 1/2s unc, 2 - 4 coin sets , and one MAD wife yesterday.
  • Options

<< <i>i got 44 - 1/10s unc, 5 - 1/4s unc, 5 - 1/2s unc, 2 - 4 coin sets , and one MAD wife yesterday. >>

You could always use them to make jewelry for her image

Do you plan on cherrypicking them and returning the rest?
  • Options
    New sales stats up.

• Options
    it doesn't matter how low the mintage if I sell anywhere but here or ebay I'm getting bullion value.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New sales stats up.

image >>

Does anyone have the final mintage for the 2007-W MS ASE's? The 2008 figures seem low

I checked my cc & the Mint has not charged my acct as of today..I received my coins a couple of days ago...image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I seem to remember it was in the 570,000 range for the 07-w ASE's.., also I think the #'s of 08/07 would be subtracted from the total of 08 sales. I think the 06w's were what 250K +220 singles or 470,000. I'm not sure how accurate that chart is, figure the 1/4 oz. plats only changed from 579 to 615, So is this number the result of returns off the initial run + new sales?
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned earlier that they were still able to place a 1/4 oz in their cart, even though it appears they are no longer available.

Just for fun I checked out last night with one in my cart, and the order was immediately suspended (cancelled.) It doesn't even show up
    as an order on my account page. It isn't the credit card.

Anyone else have this happen?
  • Options

<< <i>Someone mentioned earlier that they were still able to place a 1/4 oz in their cart, even though it appears they are no longer available.

Just for fun I checked out last night with one in my cart, and the order was immediately suspended (cancelled.) It doesn't even show up

Anyone else have this happen? >>

No problems with my orders... placed another last night and today for the 1/4 unc plat's and mine are backorder and hold status.
  • Options

<< <i>I seem to remember it was in the 570,000 range for the 07-w ASE's.., also I think the #'s of 08/07 would be subtracted from the total of 08 sales. I think the 06w's were what 250K +220 singles or 470,000. I'm not sure how accurate that chart is, figure the 1/4 oz. plats only changed from 579 to 615, So is this number the result of returns off the initial run + new sales? >>

Thanks, Chris, for the update...I do believe that the rev of 2007 are part of the total for the 2008-W..the Mint did not seperate the 2 categories...
  • Options

<< <i>Someone mentioned earlier that they were still able to place a 1/4 oz in their cart, even though it appears they are no longer available.

Anyone else have this happen? >>

My order from last night at 6:24p.m. says On Hold, backordered expected to ship 11/7
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>New sales stats up.

image >>

The approx. mintages for Unc. "W" plats are: ( I may be a little off, this is just giving you an idea. these are based on some NN mintages I saved)

2006: including 4 coin sets which were at 2000 sets:

1 oz - 2500
    1/2 - 2650
    1/4 - 2700
    1/10 - 3700

2007 numbers include 4 coin sets at 2672 sets:
    1 - 4300
    1/2 - 4000
    1/4 - 4000
    1/10 - 5800

The 2004 platinum proof Eagles have the following mintages:

1 oz - 5833
    1/2 oz - 4886
    1/4 oz - 5035
    1/10 oz - 6846

Updated: because OPA, below, is right. thanks,

• Options

<< <i>plus 17,000 Anniv. sets which included 1/2 oz Unc. 'w' and the reverse proof. >>

I believe both coins were proof...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>plus 17,000 Anniv. sets which included 1/2 oz Unc. 'w' and the reverse proof. >>

I believe both coins were proof... >>

One Proof
    One reverse Proof
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I believe both coins were proof... >>

One Proof
    One reverse Proof >>

Yeah...that's what I said...
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered a 1/2 ounce unc. on 10/17, arrived today.
  • Options
    The backorder date for the 1/4 oz UNC has been slipping and is now 11/8. Didn't we see this same thing happen when the 06's went black?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file