1/10ths are the same price!

imageimage
  • Options
    302047XX
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang.....Plat or Gold???? image

1/10ths are the same price! >>

Now, here we go again....this should be easy for you, after all, what's your name? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered a 1/4th oz W UNC coin...

Wow, I'm glad I waited.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see just how many of these are kicking around at the Mint... I wonder if there are enough to to surpass mintages of the the 2004 proof and 2006 w-unc coins.

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    So, with platinum at $870 and ounce and trending down, ya'll are payin' about a 40% premium over bullion for a coin that may not turn out to be the "key date" after all.

Can some of you tell me why? Not tryin' to be a smart alec here, just really want to know.
    Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, with platinum at $870 and ounce and trending down, ya'll are payin' about a 40% premium over bullion for a coin that may not turn out to be the "key date" after all.

Can some of you tell me why? Not tryin' to be a smart alec here, just really want to know. >>

Well for one thing you can't get Platinum in any form for anywhere near spot, or any PM for that matter. You can buy paper for that but that's it. Another these are very low mintage and us that have collected them for years need the year for our sets. You might check the mintages they are very low and more than likely this is the only batch that will be made for this year. If it is it's an all time low.
  • Options
    I know the US Mint sales figures for these. Who really know the "mintage"? Isn't that the mystery, how many will there be? There were very few, but now who knows? Only the one who keeps the inventory records at the Mint, I suppose. So, is this more of a way to invest in Platinum as a long term investor, or for collectors to keep sets up to date (which I totally get, as they are beautiful. I'm a platinum fan myself.)

<< <i>
    Well for one thing you can't get Platinum in any form for anywhere near spot, or any PM for that matter. You can buy paper for that but that's it. Another these are very low mintage and us that have collected them for years need the year for our sets. You might check the mintages they are very low and more than likely this is the only batch that will be made for this year. If it is it's an all time low. >>

Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, with platinum at $870 and ounce and trending down, ya'll are payin' about a 40% premium over bullion for a coin that may not turn out to be the "key date" after all.

Can some of you tell me why? Not tryin' to be a smart alec here, just really want to know. >>

I want fresh, OGP coins that are as razor sharp and problem free as they should be. Any problems? Return them to the mint. I also have every mint-issued receipt of purchase from 2004 on for my proof $50 plats.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>I know the US Mint sales figures for these. Who really know the "mintage"? Isn't that the mystery, how many will there be? There were very few, but now who knows? Only the one who keeps the inventory records at the Mint, I suppose. So, is this more of a way to invest in Platinum as a long term investor, or for collectors to keep sets up to date (which I totally get, as they are beautiful. I'm a platinum fan myself.)

<< <i>
    Well for one thing you can't get Platinum in any form for anywhere near spot, or any PM for that matter. You can buy paper for that but that's it. Another these are very low mintage and us that have collected them for years need the year for our sets. You might check the mintages they are very low and more than likely this is the only batch that will be made for this year. If it is it's an all time low. >>

>>

Well these aren't for investor in Platinum, they sell those though dealers. As far as trends go they will start going black as they sell out the first batch and the rush will be on just like 2006. With new products coming out and next years products being readied this will be the one and only batch which sounds like it was small due to high PM prices + low demand. The mint employees take their vacations too right around the holidays just like you and I. JMO
  • Options
    I'll make one other comment for those thinking they should get spot prices for the mint's PM products both investment/collectors coins. The mint has cost they just don't ship the product right from the refiner. The has expensive machines to buy/maintain, the have a building and utilities that cost money to recoup, they have employees to pay with benefits, and they have discounted shipping of $4.95 for any amount you purchase. If you want closer to spot buy 1000 oz bars because any business to stay in business usually at least doubles the price of what they pay for a product.
  • Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

Can someone remind me what the Mint's original prices were for the Proof and Uncirculated Plats?

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    IIRR the 1/10 and 1/4 ounce coins are about $100 cheaper now.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint previously stated that they would not be making any more of these after the supply of blanks on hand is exhausted.

In my mind, they know they are selling an instant rarity, and they are entitled to charge an appropriate premium. In fact, the price is probably cheap.

Details here.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is import to understand that I bought because I have them sold already. Some "clients" just tell you to go them and with a small markup they have a coin they need for there set and I make a little money.

What does it matter what they cost if you cannot get them or do not have the time to do it on your own. They pay me for a service. So, for the folks who think that a fool and his money is soon parted, think again.

What say you?
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭
    These 2008 plats will seem like BARGIN prices when the dust settles! Try finding Platinum 1 ounce for $1215.00 anywhere right now... jmho..I ordered.. no brainer. imageimage
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dang.....Plat or Gold???? image

1/10ths are the same price! >>

Now, here we go again....this should be easy for you, after all, what's your name? image >>

Platbully?? image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want closer to spot buy 1000 oz bars because any business to stay in business usually at least doubles the price of what they pay for a product.

Tragically, I can't find any dealers selling 1000 oz. platinum bars! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint previously stated that they would not be making any more of these after the supply of blanks on hand is exhausted.

I think they were referring to bullion coins, but I'm guessing the policy will likely apply to burnished and proof coins also.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Guys, IMO, the first run of these is all there is.......

Get em while you can........
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Order Status: Your order request is on hold. image
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, IMO, the first run of these is all there is.......

Get em while you can........ >>

Proof or Uncs????
  • Options
    My game is the UNC's
  • Options

<< <i>My game is the UNC's >>

Please expound...I'm getting that buying feeling!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>My game is the UNC's >>

Well things could very well work out for you with those low mintages coupled with the fact if the downward price may bring in more collectors the cost of the fractional UNC W's wouldn't all that much since they've only been around since 2006. The proofs cost a good chucnk of change to collect all of them in any of the series.
  • Options
    1/4's for me.
  • Options
    Which one will go black first?
  • Options
    The most collected of course the 1/10 ounce (just like 2006) and they seem to bring the best spread after release too. Really the price per ounce on the 1/10th vs the 1/4's isn't 10 dollars more and you have more chances to get a 70 if that's important to you.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well 7/8 I'm with ya on the 1/4's....so hopefully those go black first...image
  • Options

<< <i>Well 7/8 I'm with ya on the 1/4's....so hopefully those go black first...image >>

Uncs or Proofs Cas???
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Uncs...
  • Options

<< <i>Uncs... >>

What's so special about the Uncs here????

Folks were saying Proofs are more sought after!!!..Limited mintages, etc!!
  • Options
    I already have a hold on my credit card for my coins. Guess they will be on their way.
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Why today? Platinum is as low as it has been in three years. They must be throwing in the towel and getting what they can for their stock. I would have thought they would have tried this a month ago. They could have re-adjusted a couple of times. I hope they sell out soon. This is a great opportunity. We can dream for a few days anyway. Time will tell.
  • Options
    The USM has really been quite efficient on placing that hold on your credit once you hit the "Place Order" button,

not like the past where they would reserve against your card about a day before they shipped......

• Options
    I like the 1/4's more than the 1/10's due to the diff in size and ability to clearly see the design

The 1/10 is just too damn small......or maybe i'm just old and need glasses.....
  • Options

<< <i>I like the 1/4's more than the 1/10's due to the diff in size and ability to clearly see the design

The 1/10 is just too damn small......or maybe i'm just old and need glasses..... >>

1/2 oz. has better bullion cost!!!
  • Options
    I hear you, but on a return basis the lower priced coins tend to do better on re-sale......
  • Options

<< <i>I hear you, but on a return basis the lower priced coins tend to do better on re-sale...... >>

Do you like the fractional proofs here?? Why?? Why Not??
  • Options
    I cant really talk to the proofs, Eric is the guy on those.

I like the smaller proofs, again the 1/4's

These UNC's, IMO, will be really low mintages, i am expecting sub-2000 on the 1, 1/2 and 1/4. I wouldnt be surprised if there are only 500-750 individual 1/2 and 1/4's and only 1,000 sets......

Is that MEAN enough?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I hear you, but on a return basis the lower priced coins tend to do better on re-sale...... >>

Do you like the fractional proofs here?? Why?? Why Not?? >>

Well I hope this isn't a privite conversion but as a long time collecor I like the proofs here. A much more collected series, better looking coins, and mintages that more than likely will be far less than the 2004 proof that's already held it's value for the most part although they are down a few hundred dollars from their peak. Really I've got all 1/10 ounce bullions, all 1/10 ounce proof (plus a hodge podge of other dom's), and all of the UNC W's in 1/10 and 1/4 with a 2006 1 ouncer. You put down your money and take your chances one, both, or none could be the sleeper in any of our lifetimes so collecting and not investing/flipping is the key. I really love these coins with the changing reverses.
  • Options

<< <i>I cant really talk to the proofs, Eric is the guy on those.

I like the smaller proofs, again the 1/4's

These UNC's, IMO, will be really low mintages, i am expecting sub-2000 on the 1, 1/2 and 1/4. I wouldnt be surprised if there are only 500-750 individual 1/2 and 1/4's and only 1,000 sets......

Is that MEAN enough? >>

Thanks just bought 2pc. 1/4 oz Uncs

Order #302069xx
  • Options
    Order #302070XX

I am in for:

1. 2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 1/2 OZ (T8B)
    Qty 3 @ $619.95 - In stock.

2. 2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 1/4 OZ (T8C)
    Qty 3 @ $319.95 - In stock.

3. 2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/4 OZ (8T3)
    Qty 3 @ $349.95 - In stock.

4. 2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/10 OZ (8T4)
    Qty 9 @ $149.95 - In stock.

What the hell? It can't be any worse than the stock market! LOL

• Options

<< <i>Order #302070XX

I am in for:

1. 2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 1/2 OZ (T8B)
    Qty 3 @ $619.95 - In stock.

2. 2008 AE PLAT UNC MM 1/4 OZ (T8C)
    Qty 3 @ $319.95 - In stock.

3. 2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/4 OZ (8T3)
    Qty 3 @ $349.95 - In stock.

4. 2008 AE PLAT PRF 1/10 OZ (8T4)
    Qty 9 @ $149.95 - In stock.

What the hell? It can't be any worse than the stock market! LOL

image >>

I agree, better than the current stock market for sure!!!!!!!!

Nice Mint order!!!! Director Moy will be most happy!!! image
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The USM has really been quite efficient on placing that hold on your credit once you hit the "Place Order" button,

not like the past where they would reserve against your card about a day before they shipped...... >>

No kidding!!!

I just checked and a hold is in place already. I ordered a few hours ago.

Joe
  • Options
    You don't see the item not on backorder after the first 5 orders often but hey they've got these made and when they're gone they're gone more than likely.
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Any one else surprised that these aren't showing up black on there website? I didn't think it would take this long to sell out their inventory.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, the main fan club for these coins is on this board. As a poster stated in other threads, buyers still treat these recent plats as not much more than bullion bits; no respect. We have no idea how many of these coins the mint has stashed in the cupboard or what tricks planned or not may come to play.

That having been said, I am a dutiful buyer of these fractionals just wouldn't go for big numbers and flipping as I think buyers will NOT be lining up around the block. Just wait until next year with the continuing seige courtesy of four more first hags, and the HR $20. Ouch! I also would not want to be strong into the '04 "keys" and think they have a lot of room for downward adjustment.

One last point: I know that the uncs. have lower mintages but honestly, they are just not as attractive as the proofs, and I think this has a lot to do with demand both now in mint sales and future interest/demand.

Love these coins as a collector anyway.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Any one else surprised that these aren't showing up black on there website? I didn't think it would take this long to sell out their inventory. >>

My guess is that no one is at the mint monitoring stock/sales levels on Saturday or Sunday. Some orders being accepted this weekend could get cancelled come Monday Morning if this is the case.

FloridaBill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file