Home U.S. Coin Forum

Official 2008 Platinum W thread for the new prices

Comments

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone see in the bailout package if the Mint was rescued on PM loss? Just thinking. image

If so, we already own these so why bother.

R
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am suprised there are no "Pre" sets on ebay??? Have they outlawed the practice?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are most of you folks ordering sets or singles (or both)?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>Can someone remind me what the Mint's original prices were for the Proof and Uncirculated Plats? >>

Unc: 1 oz 2,349
    1/2 1,199
    14/ 619
    1/10 259
    set 4,289

Proof
    set 4859

And welcome to the boards!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone remind me what the Mint's original prices were for the Proof and Uncirculated Plats? >>

1/2 1,199
    14/ 619
    1/10 259
    set 4,289

Proof
    set 4859

And welcome to the boards! >>

Are those the original #'s or the upgraded #'s from the platinum bull market a couple months ago??

I only paid $1949.95 for the 2 coin Anniversary set....each 1/2oz.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This must mean that the Mint is allowed to sell their collector bullion coins at less than cost.

Agree? Disagree?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to seven and how he was told that they were NEVER coming back and how he wanted 10K+ for his set! AHAHAHA
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for a 4pc Unc set.

Just gotta get me a OGP 07 and I'm good image
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the big news is : A good business model will work on a 40-50% profit margin, but not on a 5-10%.

Excellent example of my tax dollars working smarter than harder !

HE>I

Whatever happened to seven and how he was told that they were NEVER coming back and how he wanted 10K+ for his set! AHAHAHA

Actually, the asking price was $12,995.00. It's just awful when things like that happen.

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

I knew it would happen.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I am suprised there are no "Pre" sets on ebay??? Have they outlawed the practice?

Miles >>

Actually, they started yesterday, and more are up and running, some sellers claim they are impossible to find LOL,,,Link

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone remind me what the Mint's original prices were for the Proof and Uncirculated Plats? >>

1/2 1,199
    14/ 619
    1/10 259
    set 4,289

Proof
    set 4859

Are those the original #'s or the upgraded #'s from the platinum bull market a couple months ago??

I only paid $1949.95 for the 2 coin Anniversary set....each 1/2oz. >>

Sorry I forgot the time frame, those prices were from around 7/24/08, the bull period I think

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

1/2 1,199
    14/ 619
    1/10 259
    set 4,289

Proof
    set 4859

Sorry I forgot the time frame, those prices were from around 7/24/08, the bull period I think >>

I thought so, we need someone to get the prices from January 2008!

Thanks for clarifying. image
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The Mint doesn't seem to be taking many orders. I place an order yesterday for the platinum coins and another one today and there are only 4,200 orders between the two.
    USAF vet 1951-59
    The Mint doesn't seem to be taking many orders. I place an order yesterday for the platinum coins and another one today and there are only 4,200 orders between the two.

Good point! I think that the Mint should stop accepting orders now.

Actually, it's probably the economy.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>The Mint doesn't seem to be taking many orders. I place an order yesterday for the platinum coins and another one today and there are only 4,200 orders between the two. >>

Ya, but every order is for multiples, 5's 10's and 20's of everything....image

<< <i>The Mint doesn't seem to be taking many orders. I place an order yesterday for the platinum coins and another one today and there are only 4,200 orders between the two.

Good point! I think that the Mint should stop accepting orders now.

Actually, it's probably the economy. >>

The point I was making is there doesn't seem to be a big rush for the platinum coins.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order number: 30205xxx
    Order Date: 10/17/2008 at 01:58 PM

All UNC's
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Kitco has nothing for sale but their buy prices - based on $857.00 Platinum are as follows :

1 oz - $822

1/2 oz - $411

1/4 oz - $205.50

1/10 oz - $82.20

Contrast these figures with the Mints sell prices and it's a little easier to see why Plat Eagles aren't exactly on fire at the US Mint.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    only 4200 orders doesnt tell the story

how many coins ordered on each order?

like i stated earlier i know of buyers who bought smaller fractionals, a couple of hundred pieces....between them

my guess is that 1/4's will go black first, followed by 1/2's and 1/10's, sets will be the only format remaining if you want fractionals

just my humble opinion

• << <i>Whatever happened to seven and how he was told that they were NEVER coming back and how he wanted 10K+ for his set! AHAHAHA

Actually, the asking price was $12,995.00. It's just awful when things like that happen.

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale." >>

Was that actually Sevens' add for his great set of NGC 70's? I was wondering who in the world would put this statement in that sale add; " I do not have PCGS submission privileges but will guarantee that this set will receive PCGS 70's all day long! I will guarantee that with a $1000 escrow if you choose to crossover to PCGS and encapsulate within 14 days of purchase." Now I knowimage
    I guess Seven wont be showing his face around these parts for a while........
    Latest Plat Pops...pretty low, for now anyway!!! image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

1/2 1,199
    14/ 619
    1/10 259
    set 4,289

Proof
    set 4859

Sorry I forgot the time frame, those prices were from around 7/24/08, the bull period I think >>

I thought so, we need someone to get the prices from January 2008!

Thanks for clarifying. image >>

i can give january pricing for 2007-W`s, 1/4 oz unc i paid 435.95 each from the mint. it was just before ending these to put up the 2008`s.

edited to add pics

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

1/2 1,199
    14/ 619
    1/10 259
    set 4,289

Proof
    set 4859

Accordingly, the United States Mint will commence selling the
    following 2008 American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins according to the
    following price schedule:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description Price
    2008 American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins:
    One-ounce platinum coin............................... $2,299.95
    One-half ounce platinum coin.......................... 1,174.95
    One-quarter ounce platinum coin....................... 609.95
    One-tenth ounce platinum coin......................... 269.95
    Four-coin platinum set................................ 4,119.95

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint doesn't seem to be taking many orders. I place an order yesterday for the platinum coins and another one today and there are only 4,200 orders between the two. >>

4200 orders/ day seems like a large number to me even if it is 1 coin/order.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess that most of the 4200 orders were for non-platinum coins and sets.

I can't imagine why any collectors would want to order non-platinum coins, but there's no accounting for taste! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>I guess Seven wont be showing his face around these parts for a while........ >>

I'm just fortunate that you guys serve me up humble pie in small portions image

HE>I

• I have been following (lurking) on this board for almost 3 years. The knowledge and insight is amazing compare to another board that I have been a member of where people just stand on a soap box and talk about their scratched up pennies found on the sidewalk followed by a weeklong debate over correct vocabulary of cent vs. penny. Anyways thanks for what I have gathered here. Mostly I follow platinum eagles and other upcoming information.

I have worked on this spreadsheet of W minted Proof and Burnished Platinum Eagles. I believe this to be correct and am looking for confirmation of the numbers which have been gathered in various places.

Also I am curious about the 2007 1/10 Platinum Proof. The numbers look extremely low and I havent seen the rush for this date. Any ideas?

These are total sales.

TwoSides.....

You've got to admit, Seven was preeeetttyyyy sure of himself, time did tell who was correct.....
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been following (lurking) on this board for almost 3 years. The knowledge and insight is amazing compare to another board that I have been a member of where people just stand on a soap box and talk about their scratched up pennies found on the sidewalk followed by a weeklong debate over correct vocabulary of cent vs. penny. Anyways thanks for what I have gathered here. Mostly I follow platinum eagles and other upcoming information.

I have worked on this spreadsheet of W minted Proof and Burnished Platinum Eagles. I believe this to be correct and am looking for confirmation of the numbers which have been gathered in various places.

Also I am curious about the 2007 1/10 Platinum Proof. The numbers look extremely low and I havent seen the rush for this date. Any ideas?

These are total sales.

image >>

I wont be able to confirm the numbers in your spreadsheet for a few years but I can welcome you to this Forum. Welcome image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the number for the 2007 1/10 oz. platinum proof exactly the same as the number for the 2007 1 oz. platinum proof?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Anyone think the proofs have a shot at having lower mintage than the unc. W's
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone think the proofs have a shot at having lower mintage than the unc. W's >>

If I were to guess I'd say no, more than likely they made 1 run of each and they tend to make more proofs since it's a mature series with a larger collector base.
  • Good eye. The 1 oz 2007 should have been 9268. My formula was off.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good eye. The 1 oz 2007 should have been 9268. My formula was off. >>

Your 2008 proof .1 & 1 totals are transposed.
    Here is what I have for the 1/10 proofs (prior to Friday):

97=36,993
    98=19,847
    99=19,133
    00=15,651
    01=12,174
    02=12,365
    03= 9,534
    04= 7,161
    05= 8,104
    06= 9,229
    07= 7,964
    08= 2,014

• I just placed an order with the Mint. 30211xxx, so at least 7000 new orders this weekend. It would be interesting to know how many orders are placed on a "typical" weekend when no new products were recently introduced.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    7 over 8, I agree that Seven was pretty sure of himself. I will also admit that I am the guiltiest at stirring the pot. image. It doesn't make me popular, but it does open up dialogue, I hope.

HE>I

it all makes for a more exciting forum

• << <i>it all makes for a more exciting forum >>

entertaining as well.

I like to wait until the "Last Word Larry's" like Seven show themselves, then its fun to wind them up and watch them go. I know , it doesn't have anything to do with coins, but we all need a little entertainment sometimes.

He originally got on that thread to generate some interest in his set before he put it up for auction. He should have headed over to the BST board. But then he went over the top and said 7over8's kids hated him. C'mon what did he expect. LOL.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    If this chart doesn't reverse soon, all of us who are currently buying plats, are in deep do do!!!

What I want to see is when they go dark if they become unavailable or back ordered. If they go back ordered it will mean they are minting more and it's time to bail. Until then we have an almost free 30 day plus option.
    USAF vet 1951-59
    Nothing would start the week off better than to see that happen tomorrow.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    First of all, understand this ; The US Mint is not your friend - they are not out to do you any favors. I'd say that at the current premium prices over spot, these Collector Platinum Eagles are a good deal for the Mint. If they diverted all production away from the bullion coins to the Collector ones, it would be the best option in terms of profit.

With the high prices in the aftermarket driving sales, many orders will no doubt pour in. Suppress all sales figures for a while and no one would be the wiser. image

Of course, Plat continuing it's dive might screw things up a bit for them. image
    The Mint doesn't care...they're playing with our money!!!image
  • I've said this before but the best thing that could happen is a further $200-$300 drop in spot prices.

That would kill all new sales and generate a flood of returns.

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I've said this before but the best thing that could happen is a further $200-$300 drop in spot prices.

That would kill all new sales and generate a flood of returns.

I don't know if that would be true. Granted, at some level, the floor on these is tied to platinum spot.

But unless these close out at a higher mintage than most of us anticipate, there is numismatic value to account for.

A low mintage 1/10 oz coin isn't going to drop in price because spot takes a 25% hit from here; the value disconnects from spot as long as there's sufficient demand.

No different than 1 ounce silver commemoratives and bullion issues that trade for multiples of spot.

If the 1/10 ounce coins close out with mintages of only a few thousand, there probably isn't too much reason to worry about the value dropping below issue price at $135 for the unc to $150 for the proofs.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen. Given other things we've seen in the financial sector, it would be foolish to say it could never happen. The most conservative approach would always be to value these with the floor at melt.

But there isn't a high risk of it; I can't think of a single US Mint coin with a mintage of under 5,000 that trades for under $150.
    Dan
    The shipping date is moved out to 11-04-08 on the 1/10 2008 w's. What does that mean? I take it as they need time to make more.
    Hey it's red, that's good enough. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file