Home U.S. Coin Forum

Official 2008 Platinum W thread for the new prices

Comments

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    The big question is how many four coin sets are they going to sell?

• << <i>The big question is how many four coin sets are they going to sell? >>

I bought one of each today. I hope they sell out soon too!

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the 2008-W proofs have lower mintages than the 2004-W? If so, they will be the new proof keys.

Right now the 2004-W proofs still have a nice premium over melt.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>If the 1/4oz unc is on back-order doesn't that imply that they will be minting more? >>

The 1/10ths said the same thing yesterday. >>

I'm really going out on a limb...I believe the Unc. 1/4 ozers will go black Wednesday by Sunset!! image >>

Is that a fact or a prediction. Just need to clarify for Manorcourtman image >>

I resemble that remark!!image I'd bet by tomorrow at 10am it will be official.........image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will the 2008-W proofs have lower mintages than the 2004-W? If so, they will be the new proof keys.

Right now the 2004-W proofs still have a nice premium over melt. >>

While ordering some more plats today, the Mint rep told me that 5000 1/4 oz proofs had been struck and that they would sell out soon. He quoted the same number for the halfs. He said that he did not know how many UNCS were struck.

Has anyone else heard that the proof numbers are that high??
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    This product is limited to 5,000 units. The mintage limit for the American Eagle Platinum Proof One-Quarter Ounce Coin across all product options is 15,000.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This product is limited to 5,000 units. The mintage limit for the American Eagle Platinum Proof One-Quarter Ounce Coin across all product options is 15,000. >>

Ooops, my mistake here.

10th Ann. Plats were from 2007.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saved fifteen percent by switching to Goodwill™

HE>I

• alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    2008 Platinum Proof Numbers:

One Ounce – 16,000
    One-Half Ounce – 15,000
    One-Quarter Ounce – 15,000
    One-Tenth Ounce – 20,000
    4-Coin Set: 10,000

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14472&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10114

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    Those are the maximums, I highly doubt the mint initially made those max figures considering the 07s sold around 6,000. Even the mint is not dumb enough to set those kind of unrealistic expectations. Considering last years sales, 5,000 sounds fairly plausible.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are the maximums, I highly doubt the mint initially made those max figures considering the 07s sold around 6,000. Even the mint is not dumb enough to set those kind of unrealistic expectations. Considering last years sales, 5,000 sounds fairly plausible. >>

Does anyone know the mintage numbers for the '04 plat proofs off hand?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Mint Stats from 10/16/08

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I am one who believes that the short run 08-W Unc's could overtake the 06-w's as King of the Plats

I am surprised to hear fellows like NYCOUNSEL and WONDERCOIN talking about "at best, short term flips and returns" given the pretty high possibility of these coins de-throwning the 06-W unc plats for rarity

when you look at the numbers, the possibility of the first and only run of 08-w unc's being maybe 50-60% at best of last years mintage, the numbers sold to forum members, add them up, normalize them for distribution amoung single coin options versus 4 coin sets,

IMO, it smells good.........

Wondercoin and NYCounsel - give us your opinion if this coin is a sub 2000 mintage on 1/4 and 1/2's and sub 3000 on 1/10's?
  • Wondercoin and other marketers will be the first ones trying to buy them from us when the numbers come in very low. His interests are in making a buck, not in helping us. You can be sure of that!image
    From the mint's website:

In 2008, the reverse features the third design in the series – representing the Judicial Branch.
    The design features Lady Justice, a classic symbol dating back to Greek and Roman times.
    In her right hand, the scales are suspended from one finger, representing the delicate balance of the law. In the other hand she holds the sword, signifying the power that is held by those making the decision.
    The bald eagle, our Nation’s symbol of power, courage and freedom, is featured watching over our firm foundation of democracy. The 2008 reverse design was created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Master Designer Joel Iskowitz and engraved by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Charles Vickers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is the price for an ounce of Lady Justice ?

HE>I

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozzyfan - I tend to do better buying from collectors that enjoy selling to me rather than the opposite. So, in my 10,000+ posts here, I have tried to provide balanced and fair information. As I suggested earlier today, in the near term, I expect to be doing a great deal more selling than buying on these coins (as quite a few coins have already been locked up to go to me for submission and subsequent sale). But, I might end up surprised, with all of the consigned coins selling quickly, and need to buy more coins. When that happens, I'll be the first to report it.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • It's nice reading all the expert opinions and advice from from the coin pros on this forum, but I for one will not make a move on any platinum until Seven provides his insight. image

• << <i>Ozzyfan - I tend to do better buying from collectors that enjoy selling to me rather than the opposite. So, in my 10,000+ posts here, I have tried to provide balanced and fair information. As I suggested earlier today, in the near term, I expect to be doing a great deal more selling than buying on these coins (as quite a few coins have already been locked up to go to me for submission and subsequent sale). But, I might end up surprised, with all of the consigned coins selling quickly, and need to buy more coins. When that happens, I'll be the first to report it.

Wondercoin >>

I know, and if your offer price is fair, I will be happy to sell to you!

Isn't capitalism wonderful? LOL

• << <i>It's nice reading all the expert opinions and advice from from the coin pros on this forum, but I for one will not make a move on any platinum until Seven provides his insight. image >>

Perhaps "Last Word Larry" has spoken his last word.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wondercoin and other marketers will be the first ones trying to buy them from us when the numbers come in very low. His interests are in making a buck, not in helping us. You can be sure of that!image >>

Does it even matter? You tell me what he is doing/has done wrong? You even say that he will be the first one buying them from "us", I read that as being for a profit. So, he tells us to buy something, then hands out $$ to you for doing what he told you to do?

• << <i>

<< <i>Wondercoin and other marketers will be the first ones trying to buy them from us when the numbers come in very low. His interests are in making a buck, not in helping us. You can be sure of that!image >>

Does it even matter? You tell me what he is doing/has done wrong? You even say that he will be the first one buying them from "us", I read that as being for a profit. So, he tells us to buy something, then hands out $$ to you for doing what he told you to do? >>

Nothing is wrong. I am just saying that he has his slant for his legitimate reasons. No need to go Griv here. I would do the same thing.

Have a beer!

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was me on the U.S Mints site when it was slow not slow this time. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Just ordered 4 coin set ( Unc. ) 3022XXXX on hold, But In stock & reserved right off the bat. I hope the unc. ones are lower mintage than the proof when its all over??? image

<< <i>Just ordered 4 coin set ( Unc. ) 3022XXXX on hold, But In stock & reserved right off the bat. I hope the unc. ones are lower mintage than the proof when its all over??? image >>

I think you and all that order are going to be just fine. I think the mint stoped them for a price adjustment but the price kept falling so they just said sell the rest of what we have in stock at a loss and don't mint any more. I think the 1-oz 1/2 and 1/4 will be the lowest but that is just me.

Hoard the keys.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Wondercoin: Just out of curiosity, what are the 2006's going for? I have a 1oz PCGS MS70 (FS) that I plan to keep in my collection but it is always a good idea to know what the going rate is."

The 70 sets are soft right now. I have a FS set on consignment right now priced in the $5,000's with no takers. $2,000 on the 1 oz coin sounds about right. The MS69's are fairly soft as well. I saw a dealer offer out a half dozen sets last week at about $2,600/set and they were still being offered out the next day (I think they finally sold - I thought about making an offer on them but opted not to). I have a few MS69 FS sets on consignment right now -they are a slow seller in the mid $3,000's. As I mentioned, when platinum was around $2,000/oz, I was getting in 06-W MS69 coins at spot. Frankly, my mistake was not sending them off to the "bullion pot" but, thinking they were a little bit "special".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

While ordering some more plats today, the Mint rep told me that 5000 1/4 oz proofs had been struck and that they would sell out soon. He quoted the same number for the halfs.

If this is true, the 2008-W proofs will be slightly scarcer than the 2004-W proofs and will be the new low-mintage champs.

What does this imply for the mintage of the 2008-W uncirculated versions? In 2006 the burnished unc. mintage was less than 40% of the proof mintage. Applying this ratio to 2008 implies a mintage of perhaps less than 2000 each for the 1/4 and 1/2 ounce burnished plats (and possibly less than 3000 each for the 1 ounce and 1/10 ounce burnished coins). Not that it's necessarily the case, but the high price of platinum at the time the proof and burnished coins were struck might have led to small production runs on the expectation of lower sales.

My opinion only.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    just chiming in on the proof v uncirculated debate.

Proofs are more widely collected, the numbers bear that out.

That said, the preference for proofs over uncirculateds is a matter of taste, probably akin to those who like dogs vs those who like cats.

With a couple of comments saying uncirculateds are ugly, I'd like to cast my vote in favor of uncirculated coins.

The unc-w coins are compelling, to me, because that series started in 2006; a collector can catch up without breaking the bank, whereas the proofs go back to 1997.

I also originally liked the w coins because I believed the concept when they were first issued was that the Mint would stick to a 3 coin series, representing the legislative, executive and judicial branches of goverment. I liked that idea- a classic coin that was tied to the branches of government. I'm not a fan of the Mint's continuation of the w series past 2008, or the lame, uninspired designs I've seen floated around for the 2009 coins.

Dan
  • " a mintage of perhaps less than 2000 each for the 1/4 and 1/2 ounce burnished plats (and possibly less than 3000 each for the 1 ounce and 1/10 ounce burnished coins). Not that it's necessarily the case, but the high price of platinum at the time the proof and burnished coins were struck might have led to small production runs on the expectation of lower sales."

I agree that 2,000 coins is not out of the question due to the high cost of bullion at the time they were struck and the proofs had already been out for a while and were not selling well at all. High material content cost and high material price risk and poor proof platinum sibling sales were not encouraging to the people trying to decide how many "w" plats to strike. It would be nice to see the 4 coin unc plat set sell out in the 750-1000 set range this time. With quarter and half single issues in the 1000 - 1250 coin range. ;-)

Ericj
  • It seems that there was one run.....a limited run to start the year...

and that was all....

Folks, we could be looking at the lowest mintage coins we will ever see offered, directly from the mint, in our lifetime. And they are still available!

FloridaBill

• << <i>It seems that there was one run.....a limited run to start the year...

and that was all....

Folks, we could be looking at the lowest mintage coins we will ever see offered, directly from the mint, in our lifetime. And they are still available!

FloridaBill >>

FB, I thought you stated that it was a Fact that the plats would be black last Monday? they are still available?. image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    Damn my 1/4 ozers are coming this AM....just checked the Mint Website!!!

False alarm...they arrived at the Memphis hub!!!!

I should have them tomorrow AM
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FEDEX delivered my proof's this AM .... No 70's in the group, but I'll keep them for the time being....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Mine just arrived.
    Have to wait to see them. Pesky day job.........................
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    Quick Query:

If they are 69's, as most are, is it better to have them PCGS graded
    or keep them raw in mint packaging for future sale ???

<< <i>Quick Query:

If they are 69's, as most are, is it better to have them PCGS graded
    or keep them raw in mint packaging for future sale ??? >>

For bullion related products ... as a general rule ... OGP will bring a higher price than PCGS 69's ... & definately a higher price then NGC 69's
    A portion of my order just arrived, including all 4 coin sets ordered on Friday, all proof coins ordered on Friday, and most of the $10 and $25 coins ordered on Friday.

The sets were each shipped individually, the rest seems to be randomly distributed.

I've organized the boxes by order number, but will need to open them to verify counts, determine what I've received and what's missing (based on the weight of some of the boxes and what each order should contain.

Dan

<< <i>A portion of my order just arrived, including all 4 coin sets ordered on Friday, all proof coins ordered on Friday, and most of the $10 and $25 coins ordered on Friday.

The sets were each shipped individually, the rest seems to be randomly distributed.

I've organized the boxes by order number, but will need to open them to verify counts, determine what I've received and what's missing (based on the weight of some of the boxes and what each order should contain. >>

Can you post the weights of the 1/4 with box and the 1/10 oz so I dont have to open my box's if you can please.

Hoard the keys.

<< <i>

<< <i>A portion of my order just arrived, including all 4 coin sets ordered on Friday, all proof coins ordered on Friday, and most of the $10 and $25 coins ordered on Friday.

I've organized the boxes by order number, but will need to open them to verify counts, determine what I've received and what's missing (based on the weight of some of the boxes and what each order should contain. >>

Can you post the weights of the 1/4 with box and the 1/10 oz so I dont have to open my box's if you can please. >>

My box has more tape than your box.

HE>I

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Seven Smilies
    for the above post.

HE>I

<< <i>My box has more tape than your box. >>

I had to use a utility knife to get my boxes open...
    According to eBays new listings it appears that "gemstate-coins" also received his shipments. ( Forum member ? )
    Can you post the weights of the 1/4 with box and the 1/10 oz so I dont have to open my box's if you can please.

Sorry, I don't have a digital scale.

I can tell you that in the boxes that are 11x4x6 (roughly) containing the 1/10 oz coins seem to max out at 18 coins -- which is odd since the box will fit 20.

I can sort of understand the thought process in keeping the box sealed, but there's something to be said for verifying that you are receiving what you paid for.

On top of that, these shouldn't be FS eligible unless the grading services get greedy and reopen that window to get some extra fees.

While I understand that some buyers will pay a premium for a sealed box on the hope that it's a 70, these aren't the easiest coins to cherrypick... absent detracting marks, often the difference between a 69 and 70 isn't so much the coin but how the grader is feeling on a certain day.

Of the orders I received today, four are only partly filled (though the Mint website says shipped), so presumably the remaining amount of those orders is in transit.

I feel better having opened the boxes and knowing what I received (mostly didn't even look at the coins, just counted boxes, so hopefully no empties in there!)
    Dan
    All of my orders have ben shipped today from 30208XXX to 30206XXX will have them by sat I think. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Still waiting for my orders to get off of HOLD status........
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
    it will be interesting to see what happens on ebay.

i don't think that many people are interested in these at this point, or are even aware that the $10 and $25 coins were available and are no longer available.

If that's the case, I doubt there will be sufficient demand to drive prices up right off the bat.

There needs to be time for people outside of this thread to get information about the mintages, etc., to drive sales.
    Dan

<< <i>it will be interesting to see what happens on ebay.

i don't think that many people are interested in these at this point, or are even aware that the $10 and $25 coins were available and are no longer available.

If that's the case, I doubt there will be sufficient demand to drive prices up right off the bat.

There needs to be time for people outside of this thread to get information about the mintages, etc., to drive sales. >>

You mean there are people outside of this thread that buy Platinum Eagles????

Well, I say....Thank God!!! image
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see my tenth oz-er is on its way. This is the quickest I've seen from order to delivery. They sure want these beauties off their hands.

Ren
    I'm pretty sure there are people off this thread who are interested in affordable, low mintage coins. or widgets. or whatever.
    Dan
  • All my platinum coins, proof and uncirculated are on their way to me. Shipped on the 22nd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file