Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Another one checked off my list :)
    Dirty and circulated but I'm not complaining
    2019-P Lowell with the internal die break or so called "earring"

are there other examples known? the odds of that being a legit die break is minimal at best.

i'd hit it pretty good with a stick or acetone. (i really thought i had a discovery ddr homestead recently, knowing the odds would be low though and one i poked the area, whatever it was, came away, along with my hopes and dreams of fame and fortune lol)

it is actually pretty impressive just how small a tip a stick needs to have to poke some of the small design parts of these coins. a toothpick is like using a tree trunk. hehe

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Kliao said:
    Another one checked off my list :)
    Dirty and circulated but I'm not complaining
    2019-P Lowell with the internal die break or so called "earring"

are there other examples known? the odds of that being a legit die break is minimal at best.

i'd hit it pretty good with a stick or acetone. (i really thought i had a discovery ddr homestead recently, knowing the odds would be low though and one i poked the area, whatever it was, came away, along with my hopes and dreams of fame and fortune lol)

it is actually pretty impressive just how small a tip a stick needs to have to poke some of the small design parts of these coins. a toothpick is like using a tree trunk. hehe

Yes, there are. I wouldn't believe it myself if there were not other ones known. I've poked at it with my finger too and no movement :) . I'd have to agree as it is one of the stranger die breaks and very strange for it to be that round.

There are a few on eBay including an NGC and PCGS graded example.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/11116/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2019+earring+lowell&LH_TitleDesc=0

As well as being listed on cuds on coins as DC-25c-2019P-01 (LNP)
    It's the very last coin on the page
    http://cuds-on-coins.com/interior-die-break-america-the-beautiful-reverse-quarter/

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Kliao said:

thanks for the info.

very interesting. makes me wonder if it had something to do how that die was produced.

neat that there are at least a couple of die states known.

pretty crazy if they are tracking all the modern stuff with chips. must be a couple hundred dies or more.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Kliao said:

thanks for the info.

very interesting. makes me wonder if it had something to do how that die was produced.

neat that there are at least a couple of die states known.

pretty crazy if they are tracking all the modern stuff with chips. must be a couple hundred dies or more.

Yeah, I think they realized just how many there would be and added the following note below for die chips as they haven't listed any for the woman's quarters with chips to the nose and mouth.

"Note: We no-longer list die chips unless it is a unusual die chip."

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    These beautiful lady's have been sitting somewhere for 23 years!

Get dem speared eagles!
    Good Luck, dude.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Come on Quarter gems!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2022 9:50PM

Found in a bag of wheat cents - possibly a FS-1101 DDO 1909VDB-i am not 100% sure that this is a FS-1101 DDO confirmation is needed. Thanks, Bob DDO-001?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR ... I have a couple of rolls of those, been sitting in my safe since I bought them from the Mint at issue time. I should open them and look for a speared eagle. Cheers, RickO

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @OAKSTAR ... I have a couple of rolls of those, been sitting in my safe since I bought them from the Mint at issue time. I should open them and look for a speared eagle. Cheers, RickO

Yes, I seem to recall this being discussed once before. Send them to me, I'll check them for you. 👍🏻 😂 😉 Free of charge. If there's a whole roll of them, I'll only take one and send the rest back to you. 😂 😉

If there are any in there, they could easily be 66's or better. No rush, we can wait! 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@rec78 said:
    Found in a bag of wheat cents - possibly a FS-1101 DDO 1909VDB-i am not 100% sure that this is a FS-1101 DDO confirmation is needed. Thanks, Bob DDO-001?

https://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1909&die_id=1909p1do001&die_state=mds

VDDR-001 # 28

@Kurisu said:
    @joeykoins inspired me with his post today https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1085557/the-year-2022-coming-to-an-end

Went to a couple far away Chase branches...

Came home with a sealed box of quarters.
    And 40 customer rolls of quarters.
    And 4 customer rolls of small dollars.
    And 1 roll of halves...
    At the first Chase bank the teller says, "I only have one rolls of halves today..."

DUDE!

Congratulations.
    ;)

edited December 31, 2022 1:42PM

@rec78- It sure does qualify. That's a big roll! That should be fun! Good luck!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

edited January 2, 2023 1:40AM

Let's GO...
    50 ROLLS!

Search Results;

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does 75 pounds of wheat cents cost nowadays?

Jim

@MaineJim said:
    What does 75 pounds of wheat cents cost nowadays?

Jim

I paid $450 or about 4.5 cents each. Not much over melt actually. I don't know what dealers in your area pay. The dealers around here buy them for 3 cents per coin. This purchase was from a private person - not a coin dealer- so I got them for less than my dealer would have charged me for 2 bags. My dealer sells wheat cent bags ($50.00 face value or 5000 coins for $270.) (5.4 cents per coin)
    I am guessing that there was about 72 lbs of wheat cents (Just over 10,000 coins) and 3 lbs for the container.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78... Wow... That is a LOT of cents to search. Good luck, I hope you find a treasure or two... or three. Cheers, RickO

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    Hello. I purchased this jug of wheat cents. Weight about 75 lbs which indicates about 10,000 wheat cents (10,000 wheat cents weigh about 68 lbs. I don't know why people put coins in these things. They are very difficult to get out unless you cut the jug which is what I am going to do. The seller said that there are some VDB's in the jug and there probably are. Wheat cents are like a box of chocolate-you never know what you are going to find. (as are all coin roll searches). I don't know if this qualifies for this thread. The person that I got the jug from saved these for a very long time. But I will let you know if I find anything interesting!

Oh, I can smell it from here - Good luck!

thanks @Kurisu for the assist on confirmation of a piece started in it's own thread.

i found a few and i wasn't quite sure what they were. (but shoulda)

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    thanks @Kurisu for the assist on confirmation of a piece started in it's own thread.

i found a few and i wasn't quite sure what they were. (but shoulda)

Based on my new found improperly annealed learning, although certainly I'm still no expert
    In order of your images...
    '95 Maybe
    '96 Maybe not
    '22 Definitely not
    I think,

Seeing the edge helps...it shouldn't look like a normal nice fresh edge is my understanding. Maybe even have some scraping appearance since some oxidation comes off during minting. I think. :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

A few more images just for fun (practice).

edited January 2, 2023 2:54PM

@LanceNewmanOCC or anybody else...
    How do I pick up the colors w/o tilting the coin? Or is it not possible or doesn't matter because the color is actually gunk?

Flat

Tilted

Flat

Tilted

edit, I need canned air :D have hairy steps.

@Coinscratch said:
    edit, I need canned air :D have hairy steps.

tilting is for sure the easiest. (you can tilt the coin, lights or camera though) there are actually tilted lenses out there to match the angle of the coin but that is really the long and hard (unnecessary imo) road.

the answer with imaging coins is 1 of 3 or a combination thereof. move the light(s), move the camera, move the coin. (for the most part, i kept my lights free so most of the time, the basic X pattern worked with toners but on some they do look neat if you over-expose and diffuse)

NOW, that being said, the type(s) of lights being used will greatly affect this effort. also, remember, the darker the room...

if you are struggling with color and really insist on NOT tilting and diffusing, try different bulbs. just go grab some random lamps in the house. i personally recommend having the lights higher than the camera, a foot, maybe more but each setup will have its own sweet spots.

get a blush brush (women use) to apply dry makeup to their face to wipe off the coins. i wouldn't do it to pf70 coins but anything else will be fine. they are so soft and flexible. (for a women's face) almost reminds you of the fist time you feel a catfish belly. wet and slimy it may be but rarely a creature can rival how soft it is. ;)

it can be a camera setting as well.

your obverse tilt isn't bad but the goal is to try and find the spot that shows the toning pretty accurately W/O over-emphasizing all the surface marks. a common challenge.

NOT diffused or any special trick. regular ol X pattern. (2 GE reveal bulbs in light housings with white interiors)(see the recent copy stand thread that comes with 2 lights on bars)(they get hot with regular bulbs but work extremely well)

imageimage
    imageimage

over-exposed difused

@Coinscratch said:

for the quarters and cents (the cents are a bit better, i'll go to 8.5 out of 10)

clear, sharp, nice presentation. you are still JUST right there at the precipice, probably a bit on the other side.

i am pretty sure my secret laid (ironically and painfully) in the basic generic settings. not some super rare professional knowledge combination.

that being said, understanding ISO, various brightness settings, aperture, white balance and some other things can help for sure.

i think everyone struggling to get the results they want should find their cameras reset button for all settings. best to start from factory and go from there.

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

for the quarters and cents (the cents are a bit better, i'll go to 8.5 out of 10)

clear, sharp, nice presentation. you are still JUST right there at the precipice, probably a bit on the other side.

i am pretty sure my secret laid (ironically and painfully) in the basic generic settings. not some super rare professional knowledge combination.

that being said, understanding ISO, various brightness settings, aperture, white balance and some other things can help for sure.

i think everyone struggling to get the results they want should find their cameras reset button for all settings. best to start from factory and go from there.

Cool. This is very helpful, thanks for all of the info. I'm sure it will all start to make sense at some point. I'll just keep tinkering, here is one most unfortunate toner that did not require tilting.
    Which came first? The toning or the bird dung? There's no toning on the spotty Obv.

@Coinscratch said:
    Cool. This is very helpful, thanks for all of the info. I'm sure it will all start to make sense at some point. I'll just keep tinkering, here is one most unfortunate toner that did not require tilting.
    Which came first? The toning or the bird dung? There's no toning on the spotty Obv.

a pigeon got that thing gooooood!

it doesn't hurt to get some practice in but USUALLY you will find the culprit of spot creation still at the center of it and not a bad idea to bump it off as there will be situations where having the confidence to do so on a much more interesting/valueable will come into play and no sense on letting it continue to get worse.

i did this on of the improperly annealed coins earlier and thankfully the culprit AND the small circle forming both came off with a fingernail inside my thick button-down plaid flannel. just a quick, light rub and viola. on red color proof of course, is a different animal. a steady hand, toothpick, loupe (digital microscope) with something holding the coin in place is a good technique when dipping isn't an option.

You like my new chrome dollar?!

Lol...first time coming across a chromed small dollar, seems to be nice and thick plating too...I think I've got a new card protector for poker to add to my pile.

I was getting some warmth from sunset...but trust me, it's "blast white" :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

@Kurisu- I bet it's a D!

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Kurisu- I bet it's a D!

It's actally a P

Coins are Neato!

@Kurisu- Okay, I stand corrected.

edited January 3, 2023 10:08AM

@Coinscratch said:

not a roll find, obviously as i'm not old enough to have been around when these could be found in rolls BUT i share it here for one reason and one reason alone, to show the pre-dslr image days for me. probably a nikon PNS (point and shoot). :s

if you'll notice, the particular attention i paid to the importance of rotating the images so they line up at a right angle (lol) and just how amazingly i captured the luster coming across the cheek, that is important right? but pretty much neglected to provide large images while completely under-appreciating keeping both images in-focus and the sheer arrogance thinking 1 light would be enough to properly display this baby. HA!

not sure of the year or camera as i really try to purge all details (exif?) from images before sharing. i know i slip up but that is the goal and there are programs that can do this as the image is saved. i think photoscape does it. you can do it manually as well with each image but that is a long and cumbersome process for a lot of images.

ok found more. OLD baby, old

ok, back to the regularly scheduled programming!

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

not a roll find, obviously as i'm not old enough to have been around when these could be found in rolls BUT i share it here for one reason and one reason alone, to show the pre-dslr image days for me. probably a nikon PNS (point and shoot). :s

if you'll notice, the particular attention i paid to the importance of rotating the images so they line up at a right angle (lol) and just how amazingly i captured the luster coming across the cheek, that is important right? but pretty much neglected to provide large images while completely under-appreciating keeping both images in-focus and the sheer arrogance thinking 1 light would be enough to properly display this baby. HA!

not sure of the year or camera as i really try to purge all details (exif?) from images before sharing. i know i slip up but that is the goal and there are programs that can do this as the image is saved. i think photoscape does it. you can do it manually as well with each image but that is a long and cumbersome process for a lot of images.

ok found more. OLD baby, old

ok, back to the regularly scheduled programming!

What kind of information is attached to my photos??? Nothing personal I hope you know like SS#.

@Coinscratch said:
    What kind of information is attached to my photos??? Nothing personal I hope you know like SS#.

here is the quick and dirty of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAX5bRGJ5w

there is some useful info in the data as well. for me, other than novelty, i don't care about any of it. some i'm sure find honest, useful purposes for it.

Last 2 quarter finds of 2022:

"W" No. 29

Burning building No. 2

edited January 4, 2023 12:09PM

@Coinscratch

here are a couple images of a statehood quarter taken with the dslr/sigma lens. not often we get to see member images of such lowly coins in such a prestigious manner. lol (i only give the images an 8.5 out of 10 though)

imageimage

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited January 4, 2023 1:21PM

Someone's throwing silver back into circulation!! Ohio 2002-S

@OAKSTAR said:

how about the one to the left of it which seems to have no reeds?

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@OAKSTAR said:

There's a of of those. Just worn out, beat up clad junk!

@OAKSTAR said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@OAKSTAR said:

There's a of of those. Just worn out, beat up clad junk!

awe. i was hoping for a partial collar error. hrmph

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file