Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @Coinscratch

here are a couple images of a statehood quarter taken with the dslr/sigma lens. not often we get to see member images of such lowly coins in such a prestigious manner. lol (i only give the images an 8.5 out of 10 though)

imageimage

I found these today, in a flat fed roll :D

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered 2 boxes of halves last week and they came in. But nada. Nothin to show for it.
    Need Joey's skunk image :D

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

nice!

i think perhaps the mints today should take notes from some of the 80s coinage as those die had some problems for a long time w/o failing!!

the 83p is crazy. (i've noticed a lot of 70s/80s that are like this and worse)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

nice!

i think perhaps the mints today should take notes from some of the 80s coinage as those die had some problems for a long time w/o failing!!

the 83p is crazy. (i've noticed a lot of 70s/80s that are like this and worse)

They usually don’t come this nice and especially at this price.

This 81P might be good as well but I just lost my computer for a while…

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

ya, those are great pick-ups! :+1:

i'd hope to run into a big ol handful at that price.

a good reason to lose the pc and i'm glad you shared. :smiley:

if i know kids and i like to think i do, they LOVE being in their parent workspace, especially a son in his father's!

i did enjoy being in my dad's workspace, even if i didn't know the half of what was going on. lol

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Ordered 2 boxes of halves last week and they came in. But nada. Nothin to show for it.
    Need Joey's skunk image :D

Here ya go. Sorry!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Some not too recent finds. Doubelds are tricky because there date is often squished :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch .... Nice bunch of old cents.... I get about one a month/six weeks in change. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hawkowlhawkowl Posts: 30 ✭✭

I found this one in a roll of quarters. The front looks like it could be natural aging, but the back seems too good to be true. Anyone have an idea how it got this way?

• Options

@hawkowl said:
    I found this one in a roll of quarters. The front looks like it could be natural aging, but the back seems too good to be true. Anyone have an idea how it got this way?

We’ll need better pics if possible. My first guess would be improperly annealed planchet.

• Options

Second guess would be parking lot find.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@hawkowl said:

We’ll need better pics if possible. My first guess would be improperly annealed planchet.

these are common in general. seen on many type coins. if you look for these on modern quarters, you'll have a barrel full. :)

• Options
    hawkowlhawkowl Posts: 30 ✭✭

Coinscratch, you said, "We’ll need better pics if possible". What type of pictures would be helpful? Here are a few from under the scope. What seems odd to me is the symmetry of the light under the bird. Would an "improperly annealed planchet" account for this?

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

well i checked a roll of 59p 1c i have in unc rd for any ddo/ddr and i am happy to report, i got roasted, toasted and burnt to a crisp! LOL

• Options

@hawkowl said:
    Coinscratch, you said, "We’ll need better pics if possible". What type of pictures would be helpful? Here are a few from under the scope. What seems odd to me is the symmetry of the light under the bird. Would an "improperly annealed planchet" account for this?

You're going way over my paygrade asking questions like that. I only know what they look like from a distance, sometimes.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 10:00PM

Nice luster but that's all.

EDIT :D

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Nice luster but that's all.

EDIT :D

ya, too bad about the smuchtz, it does kinda look like a zinger!

• Options

Okay check these out. The 87 P PL Kennedy, the reverse is much better but not enough to catch PL, just yet.

A repeat of this monster PL - just because :)

Then a mellow lavender to help you relax and lose your inner Ricko :D

• Options

Cell pics are more true to life for PLs simply because it’s basically a mirror and tough to photograph.

• Options

Also some rolls to mule over, nothing exciting I think you would need MS68 just to break even. But notice, only I will be able to open the Texas state quarters because it clearly says on the package strictly for Texas residents.

So I’m not sure yet but I might not show you guys any of those…

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 10:17PM

2 rolls, 2 fun finds.
    The Wilma is headed for "The Toner Box"...not to be seen again for a handful of years :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

More practice shooting sliders some might be good enough to eat.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch.... Great pictures.... definitely gave me an appetite... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 8:25AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

get a blush brush (women use) to apply dry makeup to their face to wipe off the coins. i wouldn't do it to >pf70 coins but anything else will be fine. they are so soft and flexible. (for a women's face) almost reminds >you of the fist time you feel a catfish belly. wet and slimy it may be but rarely a creature can rival how soft >it is.

Money, women, catfishbelly—You summarized my life’s pursuit of sustenance and procreation.
    Moderator jailed me for responding to one of your posts already.

I find some of the same stuff. Good reading.

• Options

@Fraz said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

get a blush brush (women use) to apply dry makeup to their face to wipe off the coins. i wouldn't do it to >pf70 coins but anything else will be fine. they are so soft and flexible. (for a women's face) almost reminds >you of the fist time you feel a catfish belly. wet and slimy it may be but rarely a creature can rival how soft >it is.

Money, women, catfishbelly—You summarized my life’s pursuit of sustenance and procreation.

i really do try and give thought to some of my ramblings so as not to antagonize, tempt, hipocracize (?), or otherwise trip up other members but since i do not know the exact, precise location of the line, it can be a bit challenging to not get my toes on it from time-to-time. i also do try very hard if i think someone is jousting with me to handle it fairly promptly and tactfully as usually 99% of those situations are fleeting and once we practice circumnavigating them or at the least ignoring them, things will find a way of working out.

i've been warned about being condescending but i do think part of that, along with a lot of our challenges, is that text on a screen is SOOO open to interpretation sometimes. also, i may be unintentionally condescending but the good thing is, a nice warning or heads-up, usually goes a long way with me depending on whom and how it is delivered. i tend to give the mods a WIDE berth. lol

add lots of emotis and quick explanations about how something is not intended to offend, insult, etc etc and i think that kinda stuff goes a LONG way to compensate for dry screen text. i truly think even shakespeare, browning, whiteman, blake etc would run afoul eventually if they were posting and posting a lot.

i do try to laugh at myself and others a bit when we do fun afoul, so if you would be so kind some time, point me in the direction of the post(s) i made that led you down such an erroneous path my friend. ;)

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 9:16AM

• Options

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 9:23AM

ok, i'm not gonna lie. i don't see this one:

http://varietyvista.com/15 Golden Dollars/2007PGWDDR001 dollar.htm

and soon as i make this post, the next couple listings show the area of the doubling. right where the ray meets the arm.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    has anyone found/looked for these?

http://varietyvista.com/09e WQ Vol 5 ATB/DDRs 2013P SD quarter.htm

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    shoo wee, here is another minor one:

http://varietyvista.com/09e WQ Vol 5 ATB/2016PSCDDR001 quarter.htm

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    ok, i'm not gonna lie. i don't see this one:

http://varietyvista.com/15 Golden Dollars/2007PGWDDR001 dollar.htm

and soon as i make this post, the next couple listings show the area of the doubling. right where the ray meets the arm.

Yes yes and yes...always watching for those and a few other subtle ones. There's another one that's on the cow's face when you're looking for the high/low leafs... just off the top of my head. Another where the railroad spike has doubling on the Utah...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Searching for early Bessie Colemans...
    My Chase got a shipment of quarters yesterday.
    Grabbed one of the fresh boxes but I don't think the Bessies are showing up here (5 miles from the Denver Mint lol) yet...it always takes a few weeks, ALWAYS lol!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 2:52PM

@Kurisu said:
    Searching for early Bessie Colemans...
    My Chase got a shipment of quarters yesterday.
    Grabbed one of the fresh boxes but I don't think the Bessies are showing up here (5 miles from the Denver Mint lol) yet...it always takes a few weeks, ALWAYS lol!

Good Luck! I just picked these up. Teller said they came from the good O
    Laundry Mat

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Fraz said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

i really do try and give thought to some of my ramblings so as not to antagonize, tempt, hipocracize (?), or otherwise trip up other members but since i do not know the exact, precise location of the line, it can be a bit challenging to not get my toes on it from time-to-time. i also do try very hard if i think someone is jousting with me to handle it fairly promptly and tactfully as usually 99% of those situations are fleeting and once we practice circumnavigating them or at the least ignoring them, things will find a way of working out.

i've been warned about being condescending but i do think part of that, along with a lot of our challenges, is that text on a screen is SOOO open to interpretation sometimes. also, i may be unintentionally condescending but the good thing is, a nice warning or heads-up, usually goes a long way with me depending on whom and how it is delivered. i tend to give the mods a WIDE berth. lol

add lots of emotis and quick explanations about how something is not intended to offend, insult, etc etc and i think that kinda stuff goes a LONG way to compensate for dry screen text. i truly think even shakespeare, browning, whiteman, blake etc would run afoul eventually if they were posting and posting a lot.

i do try to laugh at myself and others a bit when we do fun afoul, so if you would be so kind some time, point me in the direction of the post(s) i made that led you down such an erroneous path my friend. ;)

Well said my friend :) i’m not nearest patient or well spoken so I’ll just copy and paste your statement to my Sigg line. Well that is if you don’t mind lol!

There’s a Led Zeppelin song that explains it probably fewer words however, remember the words have two meanings. I like to think I keep the mods on their game wink wink.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    [ There’s a Led Zeppelin song that explains it probably fewer words however, remember the words have two meanings. ]

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Coinscratch.... Great pictures.... definitely gave me an appetite... :D Cheers, RickO

Thank you Ricko! It was I believe one of my very first questions on here almost five years ago. Now, that I can image well enough it will go a long way in the decision making about having coins graded.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Coinscratch said:
    [ There’s a Led Zeppelin song that explains it probably fewer words however, remember the words have two meanings. ]

I thought it was Stairway but I don't think we're allowed to play that one :D

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2023 10:48AM

My bank had a pile of state quarter BU rolls that someone turned in. I searched the Arizona (8 rolls) and found the following:
    26 with minor die chips like these:

7 with die cracks like these:

42 with die chips called extra leaf:

And this one DDR?? Or?

The minor die chip coins, i may just put back in circulation. The extra leaf coins I will probably eBay.
    All BU from original bank wrapped rolls. I don't know if I just got lucky or if the extra leaf coins are more common then everyone thinks.

• Options

These two are on the fence. The first one I found in an album and the second came from an original bank roll.
    And I'll post a third which is graded 67+. The question is should they (first 2) stay on the fence or hop on the first flight to California?

• Options

Nothing of note in that box of quarters from above, searched the whole thing last night...

But Chase was more than happy to give me another box today, from the fresh shipment :smiley:
    I'm not seeing any idication of Bessies yet...but no complaints about a box a day lol!

But first I'm searching a couple dozen "fresh" Loomis rolls of Mayas I stashed away. Half are D and half are P sent from a friend in NYC :blush:

The Chase box I brought home today...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

From my Maya stash...
    My first Drooling George, and then my second Drooling George about 3 coins later :blush:
    Minor ones, but that was fun!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    ErikbErikb Posts: 79 ✭✭

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 9:56AM

I

• Options

• Options

• Options

@Erikb said:
    I gave her everything, she took my heart and left me lonely.

Do not fret, God is preparing you for the next chapter and sometimes you have to take out the trash first.

Don’t worry be happy :)

• Options

@Erikb said:

like the 1876 france 5? centimes and that pennywise cent token is very neat!

• Options

Any chance of this quarter being a very minor double strike? Thanks in advance!

• Options
    edited January 17, 2023 7:36PM

I have close ups with the scope. They arent loading/Uploading... Hmm?! I wonder why? They are PNG files. Never had a problem with loading before.

• Options

was there someone here that found a whole box of nose die chips in the past few months?

• Options

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Any chance of this quarter being a very minor double strike? Thanks in advance!

Looks like a misaligned die (MAD).

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    I have close ups with the scope. They arent loading/Uploading... Hmm?! I wonder why? They are PNG files. Never had a problem with loading before.

There are a lot of settings to chose from based on what program you're saving the png file with...color profiles like RGB and RGBA, transparency (alpha channels), custom palettes... they all won't display in standard browsers. You may have chosen a different png profile or save setting by accident.

Coins are Neato!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file