Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erikb said:
    Yes sir all the same coin

Get back to work πŸ˜‚ and don’t come back in here again with that poor man story πŸ˜‚ just kidding. Good luck πŸ‘πŸ€

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2022 7:59PM

@joeykoins said: [rec’s coin]

Finding tho '09's in the wild is spectacular!

Both centuries

@Coinscratch said:

Wild pack of cents you put together for us there!

• Options
    ErikbErikb Posts: 79 ✭✭

Me trying to redeem myself πŸ˜‚

• Options

@Fraz It's only taken me 5 years to halfway figure this out. Time willing, I will be posting many different coins for no apparent reason until I have mastered it. I think the photograph fills a gap and simplifies the decision making. When you look through a loupe your missing the big picture and with a magnifying glass your missing the details. With an expandable photo you get both with less moving parts.

@steven59 What would you say the viscosity is on that SP solution? Seems oddly similar to gun oil :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78... What an incredible thrill to find that coin while roll searching. Thanks for sharing the story.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@rec78 said:
    My best coin roll find ever - This 1909-s VDB. I found this a long time ago on or about Oct. 12, 1962, when I was 11 years old searching coin rolls with my dad. It has been residing in a bank safe deposit box for the past 60 years. Yes, people were coin roll searching in the 1950's and 1960's. I took this out to photograph and it went right back in my SDB. :)

Very nice and I'm jealous! None of my 09 finds (so far) have S's on them.

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Here is another cent - not spectacular for the date (1959-D)
    but may be an error coin with negative imprints of another
    1959 cent on the obverse. The other 1959 cents are also
    circulation finds !

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭

It's nothing unusual for to find a Canadian penny but I just got a 1939 one! I mean, what are the odds of getting a pre-QE2 coin in your change?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil .... Any coins prior to 1952 would be 'pre-QE2'... so not really rare... especially cents. Silver much more uncommon. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Estil .... Any coins prior to 1952 would be 'pre-QE2'... so not really rare... especially cents. Silver much more uncommon. Cheers, RickO

I meant in terms of the odds of finding one in circulation among US pennies.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil said:

@ricko said:

I meant in terms of the odds of finding one in circulation among US pennies.

Its about 1 to a box for any random year. I have a jar almost full (done some boxes) but for the year I would say 1 to 100 boxes easily.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sfs2002usa said:
    Here is another cent - not spectacular for the date (1959-D)
    but may be an error coin with negative imprints of another
    1959 cent on the obverse. The other 1959 cents are also
    circulation finds !

You said: 'negative imprints'

So it would be a squeeze job.

no value

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    I found an 87 set with exceptional PLs but the reverses are anything but.

A trial run for @stevens59 skunk piss recipe vs isopropyl alcohol. I’m not getting the warm fuzzies about the alcohol but have high hopes for the skunk pizzazz (we’ll talk about a name change later) :D

The Kennedy is drowning in alcohol and the Washington has just enough skunk pizz to cover the reverse.

Here are the results after a day or so soak. Both coins have improved, the Kennedy in alcohol is about 50% better while the washy in the Smurf piss concoction is about 94% better.

Now, I can’t wait to try this stuff out on some older more valuable mint set coins. Way to go @Steven59 mums the word πŸ˜‰

Nickel wasn’t touched and used for reference.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    {Here are the results after a day or so soak. Both coins have improved, the Kennedy in alcohol is about 50% better while the washy in the Smurf piss concoction is about 94% better."

I'll be darn. I've only used it on circulated copper cents before.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2022 8:13AM

It's 9:00 AM, here in Chicago.
    All the banks had just opened for the day!
    Looking to pick up a box of Quarters!
    Now,
    trying to decide,

WHICH ONE?

:D
    Yep, most close in 3 hours on a Saturday.
    Other than my bank, some close between 1:00 - 2:00.
    Which one, will spread that JOY that all of us hope for?
    My instincts tells me....
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2022 9:34AM

Well, Here it is.
    Where my instincts sent me!

My Bank.
    We shall see?

Let's GO...

#169W?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Well, Here it is.
    Where my instincts sent me!
    My Bank.
    We shall see?
    Let's GO...

#169W?

You're my inspiration Joey :blush:
    Look what I got!
    I chose one of my Chase banks and got there just before they closed....nice variety!!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Good Luck.
    I'm liken that one roll!

• Options

Did a few small dollar rolls with coffee this morning.
    I've never come across a die crack on an SBA before!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Hunted down

#169W

2020W Weir Farm V75

Only after the 6th Roll.
    I apparently chose the right Bank!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Coinscratch said:
    {Here are the results after a day or so soak. Both coins have improved, the Kennedy in alcohol is about 50% better while the washy in the Smurf piss concoction is about 94% better."

I'll be darn. I've only used it on circulated copper cents before.

I used hot water to remove the oily residue so maybe a quick dip in alcohol next time. When I do I’ll try several subjects at varied lengths and possibly slightly diluted on the longer soaks.

• Options

After 10th Roll.

#170W

2019W Lowell

Box of the Month?

• Options

@joeykoins ... On the home stretch for 200 W quarters.... Roll on.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok,
    I am cheating a little bit here. These are finds from a bag (Not coin rolls) of wheat cents that I purchased from a local dealer.

• Options

From the box of quarters I grabbed yesterday...

The River of No Return W doesn't show up much for me :smiley:

Rough shape but only 957,220 minted

I got excited for a second there lol

IN D WE UST

Struck through?? Sure seems like it...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Here are some new pics of some old finds - playing catch up with the camera.

2011 DDO

1982 Grease fill? The 9 looks doubled but other devices are completely missing so.

2001 D DDO? Not sure if this is even a thing, anybody?

• Options

1928 S Large S

• Options

1961 D/D

• Options

1974 D DDO

And a few PLs - These are fun.

• Options

After my 10th Roll,

It's OK, 2 W's out of the box!
    Thanks
    ;)

• Options
    edited December 19, 2022 1:53PM

Try, try Again!

From a different bank. Not my branch.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    Try, try Again!

From a different bank. Not my branch.

Completed.

Nothing.
    :/

• Options

@sfs2002usa said:

Greetings ALL and A Very Merry + Christmas + !

I always enjoy finding Proofs in my change and
    recently been fortunate to get a few nice units.
    The toning on the coins after being in circulation
    is awesome. The Quarter below has to be seen
    to appreciate. The 1976 dime is clear and clean
    and has definite proof like surfaces.

Enjoy !!!

Yes, those do look very nice - Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you as well!

If you guys remember a while back I found some rolls of crazy toners. They obviously got wet at some point possibly a flood so some have terminal damage while others reaped the benefits. Here are a few. My avatar is one but not shown.

• Options

Well schizo screws, I didn’t like that penny anyway :D

• Options
    edited December 23, 2022 3:30AM

What's different about this leaky bucket coin?

• -
    • -
    • -
    • -
    • This!

I found a few leaky bucket coins but this is my first Denver leaky bucket. Much scarcer then the Philadelphia version, I believe!

• Options
    SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

These are some, only some, of two years worth: The half-dollars have been polished, I know, sacriledge, but they look pretty, don't they? Please comment on the 1969 penny dates (two different coins).

• Options
    edited December 23, 2022 8:29AM

@Spawnfreek said:
    These are some, only some, of two years worth: The half-dollars have been polished, I know, sacriledge, but they look pretty, don't they? Please comment on the 1969 penny dates (two different coins).

Do you mind telling us what you believe you're seeing with the 1969 pennies?
    The photos have some movement blur so I'm not sure what you're wanting comments on.

Yeah...polishing isn't a popular pastime around here. Fun stuff if a really valuable variety wasn't destroyed, or they're pocket pieces...or if it was your Great Grandpa who polished them lol :p

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Nice album coins except for the polished silver that’s ready for a tube.

• Options
    SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

@Spawnfreek said:

The photos have some movement blur so I'm not sure what you're wanting comments on.

Yeah...polishing isn't a popular pastime around here. Fun stuff if a really valuable variety wasn't destroyed, or they're pocket pieces...or if it was your Great Grandpa who polished them lol :p

Actually, I polished them after assuring myself that they weren't money coins, other than the silver. The date on the top 1969, and all others appear to be rounded, and the one on the bottom appear, to me at least, to be (scooped) out.

• Options

@Spawnfreek said:

@Kurisu said:

@Spawnfreek said:

Actually, I polished them after assuring myself that they weren't money coins, other than the silver. The date on the top 1969, and all others appear to be rounded, and the one on the bottom appear, to me at least, to be (scooped) out.

Too tough to guage what's up with the 1969 from the photos for me.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Well the box of nickels was pretty fun!
    A couple silvers....and I believe the first proof nickel from the 50's I've ever found in circulation.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu- Check them close for Henning's!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🀣 )

• Options
    edited December 23, 2022 11:04PM

Let's try these
    Results,

• Options
    edited December 24, 2022 9:42AM

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another one checked off my list :)
    Dirty and circulated but I'm not complaining
    2019-P Lowell with the internal die break or so called "earring"

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

"W" No. 28

The Maya Anjelou DDR's (DDR-001 and DDR-002) seem to have suddenly simply dried up. I was finding 1 or 2 per box but have not found any in the last 7-8 boxes. I have yet to find DDR-003 and DDR-004.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file