Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Uffdah’s RIPPING Journey – Packs and Vending – All Sports and Non-Sports

Hello All –

Decided to start my own thread to document my journey to build a collection of “new to the hobby” cards I pull, many of which will be graded.

There may be spurts of activity and sometimes it will be a little quiet. I plan to show a mix of rip results, raw cards and graded cards. Only cards I personally pull and/or come from a Randomized Rip I participated in.

I hope you will enjoy the thread and have fun seeing shiny new cards freshly plunked from their cocoons.

Comments

• johfrjohfr Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Pretty cool thread to see you open the packs and then see what grades you got. Thank you for sharing.

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

This is going to be an EPIC all-time great thread!!

Some of my other favorite ripping threads-- MrPeanuts 83 quest, JGF's 80s sets and ssollars annual Christmas rip-- have all slowed down or ended. Thank you Chris!

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baz518 - it's gonna be fun with utter agony of defeat too. Hang on!! :o

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

my new favorite thread!

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect... :)

• NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Wow!

Nikklos
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an awesome thread, and congrats on those epic pulls. A+++

I'm a Ripper too. I tried just hoarding the unopened but it didn't work for me. I enjoy ripping, grading and then being able to see the actual cards when I want.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uff, Great Stuff, the Brown rookie is one of my favorite card stories and I still say it should have been an 8.5 or 9.

71 Hockey is gorgeous, I love the colors! It reminds me of the 71 Topps Basketball.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Chris

I'm looking forward to your posts.

Merry Christmas buddy.

Mike
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris, I too love the 77 Cloths! And you know I love that Yaz!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great of you to share, @UFFDAH

Merry Christmas, to you and yours

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be an epic thread to follow for sure!!!

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to rip my 81 Fleer box this weekend and now I am embarrassed.!!

Look forward to seeing more.

Hey fellas - it's great to see some friendly faces, I mean AVATARS!! :)

I found some pics that I added above.

@balco758 - rip that sucka!! I love 81!! That's when I started collecting!!!

Go for the Graig Nettles error card!!

Here are three I pulled from Wax Packs a couple years ago or so.

Regretfully, I sold the Braves and the Riggins.

I also sold the DR J but only because I pulled a better one since.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread - thanks for sharing. It is fun to live vicariously through other’s rips!

• Awesome rips. Go UFFDAH!

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

Robb

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Loving this thread.

The pics you are taking on the countertops/desk etc, how are you lighting them? I am asking because the pictures look incredible.

edited December 8, 2022 5:44PM

@FirstBeard -

I took a lot of pics over the years at our family company. I had it figured out how to take pics off my desk after a lot of trial and error. Nothing fancy. Just angles and my cell phone. I'm a meat and potatoes guy with no elaborate equipment.

I was an owner and CFO at our family company. My sister and I ran it together after our Dad stepped down decades ago. We sold products into Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joanne Fabrics, Walmart, Target, Menards, Home Depot, Cabelas/BassPro, Amazon and many more. We sold the company in April of 2021 right before everything went downhill with the economy.

Fast forward I am retired and learning to take pics at home. Surfaces/Angles and my cell phone again. I use a NEW Charcuterie Board now and cheap pieces of laminate board depending LOL.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. Will be following your progress.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

One thing I'm sitting here thinking about is I have a lot of really nice pulls in top loaders ready to go, Maybe 500 hundred including HOFers, Rookies and set builder commons too. More to come.

The commons I am not so interested in unless they are old but man they are sweet and deserve a home.

It sure would be nice if PSA could put some specials out there for all of us that want some nice old cards graded but it has to pencil.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

I was an owner and CFO at our family company. My sister and I ran it together after our Dad stepped down decades ago. We sold products into Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joanne Fabrics, Walmart, Target, Menards, Home Depot, Cabelas/BassPro, Amazon and many more. We sold the company in April of 2021 right before everything went downhill with the economy.

Fast forward I am retired and learning to take pics at home. Surfaces/Angles and my cell phone again. I use a NEW Charcuterie Board now and cheap pieces of laminate board depending LOL.

Chris - since you are now retired are you getting in more hunting and fishing at your place. The “custom blind” you set up is one of the nicest I have ever seen. Hope you are doing well.

KC

edited December 8, 2022 9:22PM

@KendallCat - thanks man appreciate you and everyone out here. When I sit back for a second and think we are all geeks alike, Uffdah!! Hell, I quit collecting in 1986 because I was 16 and it wasn't cool. Guess what? it's cools again!! I've been blessed to collect some mind blowing graded cards and have a few more to share that I haven't yet but will. But, I'll tell ya what, I'm on a mission to rip some stuff. It's not gonna be all glory but its gonna be fun. I might upset a few unopened purists but I will respect what I pull no matter what. Many packs, racks etc. are still sacred no matter what and some are in my collection. If you or anyone else in the realm of collectors want to come visit me you are welcome and I guarantee we will have fun!! Just reach out!!

edited December 8, 2022 10:24PM

hey UFFDAH,
    This is a crazy good topic you got going on here... B)

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Great stuff. What caused that one Irving to be a four? Did it have the gum stain on the back?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

It had some edge dings.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredibly drool-worthy posts already. Like everyone else, i can't wait to see what you post next. Please keep it coming!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kareem bending down to fit in the card on the 72 is priceless.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2022 7:53AM

@UFFDAH said:
    These are some other graded 72's from Wax Packs. A couple more or so I will probably get graded.

I've opened 10 or so 72 Wax Packs.

I'm likely done opening these now. I think.....

Can’t go wrong with the Bucks in this era! Amazing thread!

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dough and deer

• BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2022 2:52PM

@UFFDAH said:
    I believe I shared this one in the past.

This cello was a STRONG candidate for a Payton inside. It was exactly where it was supposed to be.

Fast forward - I have two more STRONG cello's that I have not yet opened. One of the 2 actually came up for sale recently and I hadn't caught it. A buddy alerted me while I was sitting in a deer stand and I immediately made the purchase.

Do 76 FB have a collation pattern?

Brian

@UFFDAH said:
    A pack I purchased for live rip a few years ago...

hey UFFDAH,
    Yeah those 70 Supers are Pretty Cool... B)

• nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:

@UFFDAH said:
    I believe I shared this one in the past.

This cello was a STRONG candidate for a Payton inside. It was exactly where it was supposed to be.

Fast forward - I have two more STRONG cello's that I have not yet opened. One of the 2 actually came up for sale recently and I hadn't caught it. A buddy alerted me while I was sitting in a deer stand and I immediately made the purchase.

Do 76 FB have a collation pattern?

I’ve asked him before :) - but he’ll say a magician never reveals his secrets, perhaps rightfully so. I have 6 76 FB cellos I wish I knew more about ;)

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • tjhorn92tjhorn92 Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

Tease and I love it!

• 1all1all Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

This thread will definitely be a must follow. I always check out the monthly purchases thread just to drool over your 5 figure buys.