Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Uffdah’s RIPPING Journey – Packs and Vending – All Sports and Non-Sports

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Gervin rookie looks like it has a shot at a 9. Centered nicely with bright white borders. Great looking card. The print quality looks good as well but hard to tell from the pict. Look forward to seeing the results.

• Options

Fun to watch these treasures opened. You’ve amassed quite a collection. Thanks for ripping.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing more results from your 1962 rip.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris - let me know if you have any extras of Dolphins players from your rips. Thank you and happy new year!

• Options
    edited January 1, 2023 9:57AM
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2023 9:57AM
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice sweetness.
    9 (OC). ??

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Sweeeeeet-ness.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Chris, beautiful Payton. Obviously, you're aware of what top card yields the Sweetness. Out of those 2 packs, were most of the cards identical in the collation?

Brian

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    Chris, beautiful Payton. Obviously, you're aware of what top card yields the Sweetness. Out of those 2 packs, were most of the cards identical in the collation?

The first pack that did not yield the Payton was raw and from a box break. It was mainly out of sorts. I feel the pack was legit however.

The second pack was a PSA Graded pack and was spot on except there was one card as I approached the location of the anticipated Payton that was off sequence and had me nervous.

• Options
    IronwillIronwill Posts: 31 ✭✭

Another great rip. Was the Too Tall Jones also in the pack with Payton?

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

The Murray looks better than a "7".

• Options

Nice 78's.

The Brock's tend to be nice from unopened. I've had a few.

PSA seems to be extra tough on grades for Murray's.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Nice 78's.

Agree on the Brock and Murray. I've had pretty good luck on sending in 78 Brocks and terrible luck on the 78 Murrays. I recently sent in a pack-fresh, beautiful Murray for it to come back a 7. One of the best I'd ever seen too, and was really disappointed in the grade. Enough where I'll probably crack and resend someday when I feel they're grading Vintage a bit better.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 1:16PM

Love the sweet Lou! I have a friend who know him and says he is an awesome guy.> @BBBrkrr said:

@balco758 said:
    Nice 78's.

Agree on the Brock and Murray. I've had pretty good luck on sending in 78 Brocks and terrible luck on the 78 Murrays. I recently sent in a pack-fresh, beautiful Murray for it to come back a 7. One of the best I'd ever seen too, and was really disappointed in the grade. Enough where I'll probably crack and resend someday when I feel they're grading Vintage a bit better.

I think the explosion in people collecting cards the last 5 or so years and resulting massive price increases has affected how key cards, in excellent condition, have been graded. IMHO they tend to get scrutinized more. UFFDAH's pack fresh Jimmy Brown rookie pull last year was a good example for me. I took his card and compared it to well over 20 similar Brown's and it outshined almost all of the older labeled examples.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

i do not know why whitaker does not get more support for the hall of fame. his numbers are not bad. i know he does not have the home runs that some other second baseman have.

• Options

@lwehlers said:

@UFFDAH said:

i do not know why whitaker does not get more support for the hall of fame. his numbers are not bad. i know he does not have the home runs that some other second baseman have.

I agree on Lou. I think he was at the tail end of a previous age of 2B players and now doesn't get the respect he deserves, because voters want to see certain stats from that position. He'd probably be in if he played 20 years prior.

It's pretty funny looking at the height/weight on those guys and comparing them to guys coming up these days.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

@UFFDAH said:

Whitaker is no doubt more deserving than anyone on the last two Committee ballots. He was probably in the top 3 on the 2001 Ballot with Carter and Blyleven, but somehow only got 15 votes.

• Options

That is SWEET. Good score for you!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool hit! The Cardboard Gods have shined on you!

He kinda looks like Charlie Sheen.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pull Chris - Perry RC in an 8.5😳

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious what is the value of a Perry in PSA 8.5 rarely ever see one graded so high? I know 8's go for 1800$-2000$.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Here is the rest of the 62 Cello Rip.

A couple cards plus the Mantle Stamp yet to grade.

mantle stamp looks great but no star cards. still i bet it was fun opening a pack that old.

• Options

@lwehlers - I pulled a Gaylord Perry Rookie out of the pack. See above.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 4:58PM

Chris...

A few years ago...that Gaylord Perry would be a PSA-9. Congrats on another stunning pull! 1962s are beautiful in that condition...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Chris...

A few years ago...that Gaylord Perry would be a PSA-9. Congrats on another stunning pull! 1962s are beautiful in that condition...

Yeah, 62s have some of the best color of any set that decade. And I do not like the wood background.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. 8.5 on that card is amazing.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

In love with that Perry card.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 9:12PM

Awesome hit Chris. Obviously you know collation on all the older packs. Are all your remaining unopened packs high in probability of a star(s) buried within?

Brian

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 7:35AM

Congrats on the Perry. It's funny as I thought the .5 was generous given what appears to be slightly touched bottom 2 corners.

With my luck, had I sent that in it would be an 8 all day.

• Options

@BJY83 said:
    Awesome hit Chris. Obviously you know collation on all the older packs. Are all your remaining unopened packs high in probability of a star(s) buried within?

Hey Brian - I actually did not know any collation with this pack. I was just trying to go for a 3rd Series Mantle and got a "Spitball" instead :D

• Options

Thanks for sharing the '62 cello results. It's great that the Perry was one of the best centered cards in the pack. It also looks like there are a few nice commons that are prime candidates for grading.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Chris

Wow! Congratulations on the Perry!

Centering is great.

Not sure I caught it? How long have you had this cello?

The oldest wax I have is 76OPC; now wished I had picked up some cellos when Murphy had a bunch.

This has been a very enjoyable thread.

Mike
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

You sure do your homework before opening these packs and that leg work obviously pays off! Congrats @UFFDAH

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Amazing that out of all the cards, the most important one centered so nice. Wow!!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

That 62 Perry is a beauty. If that's an 8.5, I hate to see the results of my vintage subs. :(

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:

I met him a few years ago.

FABULOUS!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@Stone193 - Hey Mike!! I purchased the Cello late last year privately. I didn't have it for long.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    The Pack of Divine Intervention....

On Saturday Dec 3rd, 2022 I opened a 1962 Topps Baseball Cello Pack (3rd Series). At the time, I hadn't even heard the news that HOF'er pitching legend Gaylord Perry had passed away two days prior.

Near the end of the pack I hit a stunning Perry Rookie and I now have it back from PSA Grading!!

Fantastic rich color on the Perry.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".