Options

****2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread - Flipping Posts Welcome!*****

Comments

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:
    Here's my two cents.

I think the rife speculation that more of the Morgan series along with the Peace may be coming and would be an overkill like the 2021 ASE's (type I and II) as well as the shoddy quality of current batch is sort of causing the market jitters and as more of the coins may not be making the 70 cut are dumped, the panic sets in hard and fast with the flippers trying to get rid of it for whatever they can get so as to pay their credit cards.

You don't need to say anything except U.S. MINT coin. They all drop. The exception here is that they are selling for OVER issue price.

People are talking like these dropped to silver value. If anything, the prices are incredibly high on these.

Yes of course. That is moot point. Was the steep pricing a strategy from the mints end or merely making hay while the sun shines due to surge in demand during the pandemic?

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    .For the first time in six months all of my Mint orders have actually shipped.

I think everyone the Mint should take December off and enjoy the holidays.

My order of Uncirculated Coin Set 2021 made on Sept. 28th shows "Shipped" as the status on the mint site but the USPS tracking says "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" as on October 11, 2021.
    It's probably languishing in a bin somewhere buried under all the other orders.
    I am waiting for all this Morgan/Peace hoo-haa to die down before contacting them to check about it. ;)

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pictures. Sure feels that way sometimes. Lately I find myself dreading the peace dollar arrival. The ones that look good,upon magnifying and studying. Spots schmutz.
    Mine is now in Denver and set arrive in the mountains by November 1 9pm

Trick or treat 👻

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Nice pictures. Sure feels that way sometimes. Lately I find myself dreading the peace dollar arrival. The ones that look good,upon magnifying and studying. Spots schmutz.

Trick or treat 👻

I ordered a full set of the 6 coins MS70 from a dealer. I would certainly hope there are no spots on those!

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

CC Vampire Bite

• Options

Seeing the issues that some of you are having with spots and bites, I'm wondering if there will be fewer coins graded MS70 by the grading services.

• Options

@DrDarryl said:
    HHL for each of the 6 issues arrived as separate orders! Total of 32 coins.

I'm gonna start checking my first 20 under the magnifying lens today. Busy and fun day!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Trick or treat 👻

I ordered a full set of the 6 coins MS70 from a dealer. I would certainly hope there are no spots on those!

Problem is there might not be any spots now but next year? They may well appear.

• Options

@kimber45ACP said:
    CC Vampire Bite

You know what they call those?

A pain in the neck. :D

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Just in time for Halloween.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 'Order History' page is broken. I can't even click into individual orders to check details.

I have the Denver Morgan order showing processing, when I have in in hand. I am to receive the S Morgan today, according to USPS informed delivery, and it still shows processing. Peace order charged on the CC, and still processing, no shipment text or email. My ASE RP set order shows processing and no CC charge.

FUBAR

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:
    Here's my two cents.

I think the rife speculation that more of the Morgan series along with the Peace may be coming and would be an overkill like the 2021 ASE's (type I and II) as well as the shoddy quality of current batch is sort of causing the market jitters and as more of the coins may not be making the 70 cut are dumped, the panic sets in hard and fast with the flippers trying to get rid of it for whatever they can get so as to pay their credit cards.

You don't need to say anything except U.S. MINT coin. They all drop. The exception here is that they are selling for OVER issue price.

People are talking like these dropped to silver value. If anything, the prices are incredibly high on these.

Yes of course. That is moot point. Was the steep pricing a strategy from the mints end or merely making hay while the sun shines due to surge in demand during the pandemic?

The pricing wasn't steep. The pricing was standard for Mint issues.

• Options

@Defi_Lama said:

@DrDarryl said:
    HHL for each of the 6 issues arrived as separate orders!

I'm gonna start checking my first 20 under the magnifying lens today. Busy and fun day!

I looked at 26 yesterday. One had a small spot on the cheek.

• Options
    CXDCXD Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

So I have an order 3 Peace (XH) and 3 Morgan P (XE) coming thru Tx as one order/shipment, one $510 charge and one tracking#. Two other similar orders I know of are split coming from Tn and Tx.
    _Has anyone else received these "P"s and Peace all in one shipment originating in Tx? _ or is this a US Mint screwup?

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@JeffM said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Trick or treat 👻

Problem is there might not be any spots now but next year? They may well appear.

These totally look like ASE surfaces to me except even more of them seem to have a film.

Personally, I would not pay a premium for 70s as I think they might spot. Per my other thread, I think these need to be rinsed before slabbing.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody see a blemish lower neck on their S Morgan?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@JeffM said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Trick or treat 👻

These totally look like ASE surfaces to me except even more of them seem to have a film.

Personally, I would not pay a premium for 70s as I think they might spot. Per my other thread, I think these need to be rinsed before slabbing.

Is there a good reason the Mint does not properly rinse their planchets before striking? It can't be cost, as they can charge whatever it takes to breakeven. Or do you think is film is post striking.

Do you have a source of really pure acetone? The stuff I tried new at Ace, leaves a residue, even after successive rinses in new solution.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:

What kinda blemish? Something small, or a real good one like these three?

• Options

@jwitten said:

@Mgarmy said:

What kinda blemish? Something small, or a real good one like these three?

They charged $85 for these coins. That kind of overt poor quality is unacceptable. They had more time than for any other coin issuance to ensure quality. I would not accept those. I'd contact the Mint, request a refund, and send them back.

• Options

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edited October 29, 2021 1:42PM

11pm from the first 2

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    Very well executed, much nicer than the Morgans imo. Just arrived today.

Agree 100%. The Peace dollars look far truer to the original than the Morgans. To my eyes the Morgans almost look like cheap knock-offs of the real deal.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Peace dollars went from Irving Texas to Memphis TN to Sarasota FL to Ybor City FL on their way to Alaska. Says they'll be delivered tomorrow :D

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Well I hope they get a cigar and a beer while in ybor!

• Options

Mine are in Denver maybe yours will stop by for a quick layover 😉

• Options
    edited October 29, 2021 5:30PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Definitely not standard but jacked up last year from $55.95 in 2019 to $73.00 for the proof ASE

https://www.coinnews.net/2019/08/06/2019-s-proof-american-silver-eagle-release/

2020 Proof American Silver Eagles had an increase of $6.05 in January 2020 with an additional $8.50 increase in October 2020 marking it up by 30% and pegged at $73.00.

The End of World War II 75th Anniversary Proof American Silver Eagle release saw an increase of 10$ to the proof ASE which is approx. 14% hike and priced at $83.00.

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/10/16/us-mint-increases-prices-on-silver-coins-silver-sets-and-silver-medals/

Mint tacked on an extra 2$ to the V75 for the Morgans and Peace this year which is a further 2.4% increase effectively making it almost a 52% price hike from the 2019 ASE Proof. ;)

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@morgansforever said:
    Very well executed, much nicer than the Morgans imo. Just arrived today.

Agree 100%. The Peace dollars look far truer to the original than the Morgans. To my eyes the Morgans almost look like cheap knock-offs of the real deal.

We was broke and hungry on a summer day

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@kimber45ACP said:
    CC Vampire Bite

You know what they call those?

A pain in the neck. :D

Snake bite to me. Maybe vampire? sucking the blood right out of your wallet!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my 3 Peace today.
    I like 'em
    No quality issues
    Packaging is just fine by me

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Definitely not standard but jacked up last year from $55.95 in 2019 to $73.00 for the proof ASE

https://www.coinnews.net/2019/08/06/2019-s-proof-american-silver-eagle-release/

2020 Proof American Silver Eagles had an increase of $6.05 in January 2020 with an additional $8.50 increase in October 2020 marking it up by 30% and pegged at $73.00.

The End of World War II 75th Anniversary Proof American Silver Eagle release saw an increase of 10$ to the proof ASE which is approx. 14% hike and priced at $83.00.

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/10/16/us-mint-increases-prices-on-silver-coins-silver-sets-and-silver-medals/

Mint tacked on an extra 2$ to the V75 for the Morgans and Peace this year which is a further 2.4% increase effectively making it almost a 52% price hike from the 2019 ASE Proof. ;)

That is their price structure. They increased all prices from 2020

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the way to compare is not to an ASE priced one or two years ago

This year to this year

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kimber45ACP said:
    Just in time for Halloween.

I don't expect to get any of these in my Trick or Treat bag. Maybe some rocks like Charlie Brown. :'(

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

That is their price structure. They increased all prices from 2020

That was the point. They revised their price structure twice last year ro reflect a 30% hike for the proof ASE to make it the new norm.

@MsMorrisine said:
    And the way to compare is not to an ASE priced one or two years ago

This year to this year

The 2020 was definitely with the stats of increase from Jan through October

@vulcanize said:

And the V75 was priced much higher at 83$.

So leaving all that aside, there is an almost 16.5% increase in price for the Morgans and Peace at 85$ when compared to the 2021 proof ASE that sold for 73$
    Just saying. ;)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah

These are $100/toz silver

But you’ve got two new pairs of dies and a much less economies of scale

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

The six releases represent just a little over a million products and probably about a million after returns. Everything is anecdotal still and we will see a lot of market activity. The transactions now account for such a minor part of the overall population to still be meaningless. If it turns out that there are some verifiable die varieties, the narrative will change too. Not something initially expected, but now there seems to be some potential for that. Also note that the 70-or-bust Mint bullion collectors are not the entire market. They like to b*tch a lot though and seem to be.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they strike a few proofs next year the hype will start all over and everyone will want them in addition to these burnished variants. I am waiting to see the preliminary 2022 Mint product schedule which should show up one of these weeks.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 9:24AM

[The six releases represent just a little over a million products and probably about a million after returns. Everything is anecdotal still and we will see a lot of market activity. The transactions now account for such a minor part of the overall population to still be meaningless. If it turns out that there are some verifiable die varieties, the narrative will change too. Not something initially expected, but now there seems to be some potential for that. Also note that the 70-or-bust Mint bullion collectors are not the entire market. They like to b*tch a lot though and seem to be.]

For all the Debbie downers...please explain supply and demand to me again as maybe I slept through that class...if a large percentage of these coins are substandard shouldn't the remaining 70s gain...perhaps substantially...as we're already starting with relatively low mintages?

Not to mention all the BS artists on TV pumping these relentlessly...even the "lower grade" 69s.

Are we actually saying that these are going to drop below issue price for raw coins...as I suspect many will remain due to people getting cold feet and not wanting to initially spring for grading costs?

But despite all this, I still think these will do fine over time...unless the Mint makes them an annual issue and floods the market...in which case all bets are off!

• Options

Welcome Pete. Looks like you have a pretty good idea of how things work here. Crazy , fantastic and intellectually awesome 😎. Collect what you like. ☑️ Good clear thoughts ☑️ Ah. Pictures We love our pictures and have many members who use a cellphone. They have a number of handy bits of advice (especially about lighting). 😉

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I got various coins. Peace dollars will arrive Monday. Of the 15 or so morgan dollars, I was real happy with all of them. I only looked at them with the naked eye. I didn't see any blemishes.

• Options
    KdennisonKdennison Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

The rest of my coins came in and I am really super pleased. They appear to have no flaws on them, despite the Peace capsule being loose when I opened it.

• Options

Question for those error experts. I long time ago I bought some of the presidential proof sets (100) and had a series of error coins on the Jefferson dollar. All the errors seemed progressively more severe and all started as "misaligned dies". Two of the coins were designated as double struck and the third was triple struck. Two of the coins also were designated as having rotated dies. Yes, they were quite the mess. My focus in this posting is misaligned dies leading to "wedge" shaped coins. I was looking through my Morgans and received four with what appears to be misaligned dies. I took the coin out of the holder and it is clear that one side is about 50% higher (thicker) than the other side. So my question is is there a standard difference that determines if it is an error rather than just a little metal flow on one side? I am desperately trying to get pictures for you but close up pictures is a bit difficult. Stay tuned - I should at least have pictures of the thickness difference later today and maybe a good picture of the "cupping" on one side later.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 11:58AM

[I took the coin out of the holder and it is clear that one side is about 50% higher (thicker) than the other side. So my question is is there a standard difference that determines if it is an error rather than just a little metal flow on one side? I am desperately trying to get pictures for you but close up pictures is a bit difficult. Stay tuned - I should at least have pictures of the thickness difference later today and maybe a good picture of the "cupping" on one side later.]

drjaycee:

Are you actually saying that the coins are literally half as think along the rim from side to side? That would be a massive issue impacting metal flow as well as other design impacts.

Yes...pictures please.

• Options

Are you actually saying that the coins are literally half as think along the rim from side to side? That would be a massive issue impacting metal flow as well as other design impacts.

Yes...pictures please.

Pictures are now in the works. There aren't too many drastic design issues with the coin other than the obverse opposite the cupping literally has no border and the denticles are edge of the coin (actually there is a hairline border. On the reverse the "In God We Trust" has a lower relief compared to the opposite side of the reverse where the relief is quite deep.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file