Home U.S. Coin Forum

****2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread - Flipping Posts Welcome!*****

Comments

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 12:33PM

Slightly different issue...for those who believe that the planchets might have had "pockmarks" for lack of a better word...or other flaws...wouldn't metal flow during striking obliterate those "holes"?

Wouldn't a die with a flawed design impression be the much more likely culprit?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 2:44PM

My peace dollar is here. It’s 2 days early. Small town PO closed until a”proper hour “ 8 am Monday
    For those not familiar I love my small town post office and the ladies who work there( there hasn’t been a man ever in the 30 years I’ve been here). I love them and let them know too!
    That being said I sure feel like my grandma is talking to me sometimes. I would never change it 😘 Proper, yes sir, proper 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That is their price structure. They increased all prices from 2020

That was the point. They revised their price structure twice last year ro reflect a 30% hike for the proof ASE to make it the new norm.

@MsMorrisine said:
    And the way to compare is not to an ASE priced one or two years ago

This year to this year

The 2020 was definitely with the stats of increase from Jan through October

@vulcanize said:
    2020 Proof American Silver Eagles had an increase of $6.05 in January 2020 with an additional $8.50 increase in October 2020 marking it up by 30% and pegged at $73.00.

And the V75 was priced much higher at 83$.

So leaving all that aside, there is an almost 16.5% increase in price for the Morgans and Peace at 85$ when compared to the 2021 proof ASE that sold for 73$
    Just saying. ;)

They are trying to not lose money on commems anymore. They don't make money on these generally.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    They are trying to not lose money on commems anymore. They don't make money on these generally.

After seeing their annual report of last year, I feel it is more so because of the speculation by a few who are way up in the chain of command and reflects some of their decision making

At September 30, 2020 and 2019, the fair value of the silver forward contracts were an asset of $7.4 million and $1.5 million, respectively, which are located in “Derivative, Asset”, in the Balance Sheets. The Mint recorded net losses of $72.0 million on its silver forward contract in FY 2020, compared to net gains of $11.8 million in FY 2019, located in “Gross Cost” in the Statements of Net Cost. At September 30, 2020 and 2019, the margin call transactions with the broker were net payments of $90 million and $5 million, respectively.

Wonder if any kickbacks were involved? :|

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hypothetical:
    1) If it is reasonable to assume that equal numbers of each of the six Morgan/Peace products were bulk submitted, and a minimum 70 grade request was made,
    2) Then, this early PCGS pop report may reveal the relative quality of each of the six offerings. Peace, D Morgan, O privy Morgan appear to be less likely to grade 70.

Yes, small sample size, and two assumptions involved.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

If the Mint reopens purchasing for unsold 2021 Morgans and Peace products, would they also include returned items in the reopened total items available? Even obviously flawed returns?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    My 'Order History' page is broken. I can't even click into individual orders to check details.

I have the Denver Morgan order showing processing, when I have in in hand. I am to receive the S Morgan today, according to USPS informed delivery, and it still shows processing. Peace order charged on the CC, and still processing, no shipment text or email. My ASE RP set order shows processing and no CC charge.

FUBAR

I have a similar situation. I cannot click on my orders, which all say "Processing" but I've already received the CC & O Privy coins. :s

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭

I got mine. Here’s how one of them arrived.

• Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 2:49PM

@olympicsos said:

I got mine. Here’s how one of them arrived.

This must be the O!

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 3:02PM

ooops

(l8-)>>

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or do the D Morgans seem to have the most brilliant finish?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

The mint does not resell returns. They melt em 😈

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    The mint does not resell returns. They melt em 😈

The mint inspects the returns first, if resellable, they will resell the returns.

One of us is right. I say melt. You say inspect and if approved, resold.
    Let those folks who know help us arrive at the correct answer 🙏

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t recall an authoritative answer

Any answer would need a reference

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited October 30, 2021 3:56PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

One of us is right. I say melt. You say inspect and if approved, resold.
    Let those folks who know help us arrive at the correct answer 🙏

Thats what the mint said several years back. I googled and can't find the original announcement.

• So I got a shipment of PHL coins. Came in a different box that other Morgans. Shipping paperwork says three in box, but only 2. Also Peace dollars not in shipment. Looking at US Mint site and also my CC, they charged them seperately so hopefully coming SOON (but do not have another tracking number on site). Lastly, still waiting on CC and O shipment. Who is in same boat?

• Oh also is the only thing you can do when the MIS Ship is get a refund instead of missing coin? Assume only refund...

edited October 30, 2021 3:55PM

@MsMorrisine said:

There was an official announcement about reselling returns several years ago.
    Since then, I always buy coins within 4 days from the issue date.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I checked the quality of my D-mints that were delivered today. One of them has a pot mark on the second "2" of the date. Other than that, pretty nice quality - not seeing any issues. How unusual is it to not have problems (D-Mint)? no spots, no nicks or scratches I can see on 2 of the 3 coins. There are threads and plastic-related scratches (not on the coin that I can see).
    Here they are:

Specimen 1: 2021 D-Mint Morgan

Specimen 2: 2021 D-Mint Morgan

Specimen 3: 2021 D-Mint Morgan

Thanks, - T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

edited October 30, 2021 3:58PM

[Here are pictures of the Morgan silver dollar with potential misaligned Dies.]

Does anyone have any thoughts re drjaycee's significantly "smushed" coin...as pictured above?

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Remember the Gold V75 Eagles... There was a freedom of information request as to the actual number sold. The mint said that 3 were so badly damaged that they could not be resold. @Samuel8 is correct they resell them as long a they are meet the mint's quality standards.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec "The third on has what looks like a strike through of substantial size."

Nice one! :)
    There have been others reported from the D mint. ;)
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1065671/check-2021-d-morgans-for-strike-thrus

I got 6 D and 3 S today all look good with no quality problems. ;)

edited October 30, 2021 4:46PM

@anablep said:

@SPalladino said:
    My 'Order History' page is broken. I can't even click into individual orders to check details.

I have the Denver Morgan order showing processing, when I have in in hand. I am to receive the S Morgan today, according to USPS informed delivery, and it still shows processing. Peace order charged on the CC, and still processing, no shipment text or email. My ASE RP set order shows processing and no CC charge.

FUBAR

I have a similar situation. I cannot click on my orders, which all say "Processing" but I've already received the CC & O Privy coins. :s

As of today, I have in hand all of the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars that I ordered. All are still showing "processing". And, I still cannot click into any order other than older orders for other products, marked a "shipped".

@edgar - "you have to view it as a guest. don't log in, go to Customer service. check order status. at bottom of page enter order number and email address. mine has been that way for awhile for some orders.".....Thank you!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Pictures of my potential error Morgan are up. If there are any opinions as to whether this would be designated as an error I would greatly appreciate the feedback!!

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 6:02PM

I feel like there may be an impurity in some of the Peace planchettes that appear as dark spots… the strike is good and the coins aren’t marked up, but there are some points of darkness…

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@hombrevg said:
    So I got a shipment of PHL coins. Came in a different box that other Morgans. Shipping paperwork says three in box, but only 2. Also Peace dollars not in shipment. Looking at US Mint site and also my CC, they charged them seperately so hopefully coming SOON (but do not have another tracking number on site). Lastly, still waiting on CC and O shipment. Who is in same boat?

Its been a while for me, but last time I got a split order, the invoice indicated "1 of 2" or something like that.

(l8-)>>

@drjaycee said:
    Pictures of my potential error Morgan are up. If there are any opinions as to whether this would be designated as an error I would greatly appreciate the feedback!!

I saw the pictures and wonder myself

It is worthy of its own thread.

Use a good title include “possible error?” “Much thinner on one side” and stuff like that to get people’s attention

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I got my two O's the other day when I turned the box over to remove the paper the coins fell out of the box with the top half of the plastic holder. Other than that I just snapped the coin back into the holder (I didn't see any damage).

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Morgan P and Peace dollars came in today. Quality is good overall. But I don't think any of them would score a 70. An occasional small dark spot, you rally have to look for them under magnification. Tiny specs of non-metallic material static clinging to the inside of the capsules. Definitey not a dust free environment.

My D and S order is in limbo. No updates since the "your order has been shipped" e-mail. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

Dust specks: been around as long as I have

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the dust specs looks like someone was eating a cookie while working.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

@drjaycee said:
    Pictures of my potential error Morgan are up. If there are any opinions as to whether this would be designated as an error I would greatly appreciate the feedback!!

It looks like a little bit of a finned edge, it's not uncommon. It was real common on the gold dime.
    I don't think PCGS would label it as an error.

I dunno about finned edge. That thin side is a lot more thinner than the other

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drjaycee said:
    Here are pictures of the Morgan silver dollar with potential misaligned Dies.

That is quite unusual. I agree with MsMorrisine, put this is a new thread as that is a very big variance in thickness IMO.

You’ll need well lit photos of both sides, cropped to just the coin

@drjaycee...let us know if you start an error thread for this...I'd like to follow the discussion.

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

After seeing their annual report of last year, I feel it is more so because of the speculation by a few who are way up in the chain of command and reflects some of their decision making

At September 30, 2020 and 2019, the fair value of the silver forward contracts were an asset of $7.4 million and $1.5 million, respectively, which are located in “Derivative, Asset”, in the Balance Sheets. The Mint recorded net losses of $72.0 million on its silver forward contract in FY 2020, compared to net gains of $11.8 million in FY 2019, located in “Gross Cost” in the Statements of Net Cost. At September 30, 2020 and 2019, the margin call transactions with the broker were net payments of $90 million and $5 million, respectively.

Wonder if any kickbacks were involved? :|

I'm not sure what your point is. The Mint announced their intention to reach break even on commemoratives. Bullion is a separate item in their report. For decades, they made money on circulation coinage and bullion but lost money on commemoratives. They are trying to remedy it. It's not really a mystery that needs investigation. The biggest increases were in the bronze medal program.

The silver contracts are irrelevant. You are supposed to lose money on them if silver is rising. You buy them to hedge against drops in silver prices. They are insurance not speculation. Airlines do it with fuel. Farms do it with grain futures.

@Samuel8 said:

@MsMorrisine said:

There was an official announcement about reselling returns several years ago.
    Since then, I always buy coins within 4 days from the issue date.

Showing derry 's conversation with a CS rep is not exactly an official announcement. We've also been told that they don't sell returns.

Commemorative legislation includes provisions that money goes to “the cause” the commemorative supports. The legislation goes on where if costs are not covered no money goes to support.

In recent memory, only one commemorative has failed to cover costs and deliver support: the Girl Scouts

Commemoratives are not the “issue” with losing money.

@MsMorrisine said:
    Commemorative legislation includes provisions that money goes to “the cause” the commemorative supports. The legislation goes on where if costs are not covered no money goes to support.

In recent memory, only one commemorative has failed to cover costs and deliver support: the Girl Scouts

Commemoratives are not the “issue” with losing money.

Exactly. Way too many other factors are causing the hiccups.

@jmlanzaf said:
    The presses must be as dirty as my house.

Or the mind :p

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

I’ve received an order of O’s that def look P/L surfaces and not matte

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

I think we are about to see some P/L’s—-not deep mirror coins but def P/L

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file