Home U.S. Coin Forum

****2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread - Flipping Posts Welcome!*****

Comments

• goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Reverse Proof Two-Coin Set Designer Edition is available right now if anyone wants one.

• CXDCXD Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Not "anyone" e.g. HHL=1 :|

• goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

Well ok anyone who has not gotten one how's that.....

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    HHL been gone for awhile 😉. Agree unless you got 99 funky coins

How long has it been gone? I haven't checked in awhile, and the mint seems to be playing with HHL's lately, you never know when it comes back. I ordered 3 D's and only got 2...when I checked my order history, it said I only ordered 2. Maybe now I can try and get one more, but really haven't seen ay of these available in the morning offerings.

• @goldgirl said:
    Well ok anyone who has not gotten one how's that.....

Or are clever enough to get around the HHL :)

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing in the morning so far. I want to say at least a couple months since I noticed or a month. Maybe longer HHL 0. Dang old brain running on 7 (out of 8) so to speak.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Every time I see these problem coins, I think there will be less making the 70 grade. The problem coins should be sent back to the mint to let them know customers are not happy.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slightly OT...but not much...re "clouded" coins...was it ever determined why so many of the 40% silver proof Ike's are cloudy?

In fact, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a 1973 silver Ike that isn't cloudy!

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    If they produce the Morgan and Peace dollars again next year, I will not buy any from anywhere. This whole fiasco with delayed ordering and releases and all the quality issues has left a bad taste in my mouth. While I loved these initial coins, that's it for me.

Chances are very high they will not do this coin to commemorate the 100 years since 1921 again next year.

However, the Mint did produce a very few varieties of 1922 Peace proof silver dollars, and commemorating them with a 100 year version would result in a exceptional coin.

edited November 4, 2021 11:02AM

@Goldminers said:

@JeffM said:
    If they produce the Morgan and Peace dollars again next year, I will not buy any from anywhere. This whole fiasco with delayed ordering and releases and all the quality issues has left a bad taste in my mouth. While I loved these initial coins, that's it for me.

Chances are very high they will not do this coin to commemorate the 100 years since 1921 again next year.

However, the Mint did produce a very few varieties of 1922 Peace proof silver dollars, and commemorating them with a 100 year version would result in a exceptional coin.

I love the idea and at the same time it terrifies me. I’m not saying that the mint might pull it off, but how come all their guard dogs are named “Spot. “And the only trick they know is “stay”😉

edited November 4, 2021 11:10AM

The Congressional law authorizing these had some variety and composition options like 90% silver, but it did not really state anything about 2022, only a 2021 start date was mentioned. If they looked as good as that Ike proof you posted, I would like to see a Peace dollar like that.

That’s an unusual Ike proof for sure. But really an oddity as most don’t preserve well.

edited November 4, 2021 1:19PM

[That’s an unusual Ike proof for sure. But really an oddity as most don’t preserve well.]

Right? I also own an relatively clean one that's ironically been housed in an unsealed beige Dansco album for 25 years(!!!)...but my father's set of five...purchased directly from the Mint and still sealed in the hard black cases...are all tinged bluish.

In all seriousness...has anyone ever determined what happened with those coins? And 1973 was particularly bad...right...or am I misremembering that?

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2021 1:48PM

I’ve found this “ghost effect” on a few peace dollars. Reminds me of a Daniel carr overstrike where you can see the former coins date barely under the new date. It’s most visible on the date, but the other letters also have some ghost effect on the obverse (check out In God We Trust). Any ideas what this is, or what caused it?

edited November 4, 2021 2:09PM

OK...strikethroughs...ghost images...spots...pocks...uneven strikes...and scratches...but other than that...

What's sad is that none of these are "valuable" errors,,,just bad QC.

Does anyone think a "good" error will appear on these?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got my three 2021-P Morgan dollars. They were on the same order as the three 2021 Peace dollars, but they were shipped in different boxes. The Peace dollars arrived last Saturday.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭

Debating whether to send mine in to PCGS for grading with my free vouchers. Hate throwing money away, but any more with all the counterfeits coming out, this seems to be the only way to guarantee GENUINE coins. I've heard from several though that PCGS doesn't really grade "high" on cheaper/voucher submissions since they don't make as much money. Anyone else heard that? Guess I can at least keep the original gov't packaging when sending the raw coins in, so I do have THAT going for me. Cheers!

@knovak1976 said:
    Debating whether to send mine in to PCGS for grading with my free vouchers. Hate throwing money away, but any more with all the counterfeits coming out, this seems to be the only way to guarantee GENUINE coins. I've heard from several though that PCGS doesn't really grade "high" on cheaper/voucher submissions since they don't make as much money. Anyone else heard that? Guess I can at least keep the original gov't packaging when sending the raw coins in, so I do have THAT going for me. Cheers!

I send in every year with vouchers and they do not negatively impact the grades you will get. If you get low grades it is because you sent in coins with issues. If you want good grades, send in only exceptionally good coins.

edited November 4, 2021 3:21PM

@jwitten said:
    I’ve found this “ghost effect” on a few peace dollars. Reminds me of a Daniel carr overstrike where you can see the former coins date barely under the new date. It’s most visible on the date, but the other letters also have some ghost effect on the obverse (check out In God We Trust). Any ideas what this is, or what caused it?

Isn't that ghost effect machine doubling, which indicates the die is a little loose and shifts slightly when the coin is struck? Just another quality control item to add to the list..

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:

The people that need to worry about genuine coins are the buyers.

In this case, Good quality pictures of both sides will be cheaper than grading.

Gold, platinum and palladium new issues can benefit from grading vouchers

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a way it would be neat if the Mint mirrored the original Peace dollar run through 2035. Would make a neat 100 year shadow set.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
    edited November 5, 2021 8:26AM

So...raw examples seem to be trading on eBay at roughly 2x issue price...with the CC & O a bit higher...that's not too bad.

And I still expect these to increase as the initial flood gets absorbed...and the QC issues are better known.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    So...raw examples seem to be trading on eBay at roughly 2x issue price...with the CC & O a bit higher...that's not too bad.

And I still expect these to increase as the initial flood gets absorbed...and the QC issues are better known.

They may stop dropping. I would not expect any increase. There is very little trading of these going on even in the $120 range (which is 50% over issue not 2x issue price) for most issues. That speaks to a supply overhang not a latent demand.

[I would love for them to go up. I still have over 100 in stock. My experience with prior Mint issues and monitoring of eBay activity, however, makes this unlikely.]

@3stars said:
    In a way it would be neat if the Mint mirrored the original Peace dollar run through 2035. Would make a neat 100 year shadow set.

I doubt it would have much demand, especially with a 6 year gap in the middle.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    If you want good grades, send in only exceptionally good coins.

I would tend to think coins coming from the mint only a week or two after production should be exceptionally good. I mean, in this day and age there shouldn't be THAT many messed up coins, right?

• Theres been quite a few shown on here....

@knovak1976 said:

@Goldminers said:

I would tend to think coins coming from the mint only a week or two after production should be exceptionally good. I mean, in this day and age there shouldn't be THAT many messed up coins, right?

Depends on how you define messed up. Most modern coins are quite nice. You can receive a damaged coin at the beginning of production or an excellent one at the end of production. Timing of when they are struck or shipped does not matter in general.

@knovak1976 said:

@Goldminers said:

Absolutely correct. Now here we are. What’s next?

So...with potential spotting...is anyone on this thread recommending preemptive acetone dipping?

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could some of these flaws be on the planet before striking?
    This is on one of my D Morgan's that came in today. The scrape on the olive beach does not look fresh. It's not brighter than the rest of the finish. That's not a scrape on the arrow. It's some sort of depression and the edge is jagged and straight, doesn't look like a weak strike due to grease or something.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

@Cranium_Basher73 said:

Could some of these flaws be on the planet before striking?
    This is on one of my D Morgan's that came in today. The scrape on the olive beach does not look fresh. It's not brighter than the rest of the finish. That's not a scrape on the arrow. It's some sort of depression and the edge is jagged and straight, doesn't look like a weak strike due to grease or something.

Many/most of the defects are probably strike throughs not scrapes. To me, it seems like cleanliness has slipped. There are a lot of coins that are struck through dust or worse.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2021 7:48AM

@RichR said:
    So...with potential spotting...is anyone on this thread recommending preemptive acetone dipping?

Not this thread, but yes. Link

There are collectors that would not do this themselves, because of the chemicals involved 'and/or' concerns over potential damage. If PCGS has data indicating a "preemptive dip" would reduce the probability of future spotting, they should consider introducing a new "add-on service" (i.e., a rinse for modern silver coins).

Edited

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I think eBay sales are strong. Any with BIN a little to low are getting snapped up.

As for the Ike…wonder what this board will be saying about the 2021 Morgan’s 50 years from now…. In 2071 or 2121 for the 200 year anniversary… :)

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity; did the US Mint make any Proof Morgans of Peace Dollars?

@AlexinPA said:

Not this 2021 cycle. Next year?

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:

If they do a proof Peace next year it will be a first as the originals are so few, referred to as unobtainium.

Even a few of the most orthodox gray-bearded traditional US classic collectors will most likely want one.

@fathom said:

@AlexinPA said:

If they do a proof Peace next year it will be a first as the originals are so few, referred to as unobtainium.

Even a few of the most orthodox gray-bearded traditional US classic collectors will most likely want one.

And if they do someone help the mint because that crowd won’t let funky quality issues just ride 😬

edited November 8, 2021 12:38PM

[As for the Ike…wonder what this board will be saying about the 2021 Morgan’s 50 years from now…. In 2071 or 2121 for the 200 year anniversary… ]

Geez...isn't it something how (at least for me) 1971 doesn't seem that long ago, but 2071 seems like Star Trek future time!!!

I can clearly remember my first day of school in 1973...for example...and the new car smell of my parent's maroon Buick Century!

But 2071...no way can I comprehend that...assuming Earth is still here!

And PS...as I child back then...I also anxiously awaited the arrival of blue boxes for dad from exotic and faraway places like the "San Francisco Assay Office"!

• WOW. looking forward to these

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is excellent news re: Proof Morgan & Peace dollars in 2022

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
    edited November 10, 2021 3:27PM

So then...with proofs coming in 2022...what does this possibly do to the collectability of the 2021 issues?

• Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

The schedule stops there. Only these 2 or will continue?

• Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    So then...with proofs coming in 2022...what does this possibly do to the collectability of the 2021 issues?

Not sure, but I will be keeping mine, especially in light of the 2022 US mint announcement.

• MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Hmmm...I'm about to send mine to our host for grading. Is there any point in getting the First Strike designation, considering they all shipped at the same time?

Occasionally successful coin collector.

@MrBear said:
    Hmmm...I'm about to send mine to our host for grading. Is there any point in getting the First Strike designation, considering they all shipped at the same time?

People who want 1st strike want 1st strike. Those that don't, don't.

For most limited edition commems, pretty much 100% of the mintage is 1st strike eligible.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file