Home Sports Talk

Thoughts on Tom Brady.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t is peculiar how his “greatness” has shrunk as the entire Team lost talent and got old?? Tom Brady is certainly a remarkable NFL QB but it’s a Team sport and he’s just a part of that. I know it’s heresy to some to say as much, but Tom Brady’s “greatness” has always been predicated on how good the rest of the Team has been.

He sort of sulked yesterday and didn’t have the magic that he’s had in the past, the trouble being that he didn’t have the quality of Teammates that he’s had in the past. Absent them, he appeared as an average QB in yesterday’s game, rendered impotent by the Titans. To be honest, he looked all of a 43 year old, tired athlete by the end of the game.

He has had a an impressive career and a stellar run, but all things come to an end. Right now, the sadness of his point in time is that if he retires his last pass thrown will have been a pick-six. Professional athletes are certainly "made" different than the rest of us, they're wired in a way I don't think we can comprehend. To that end I really believe they have a hard time arriving at the decision to quit playing, that shows in the emotional Press Conferences which are held. That's where I think Brady is at now, he cannot mentally understand not playing even though his body is wearing down and the signs are probably clear to him.

I certainly hope he takes some time away, rolls everything around in his mind and consults with family and his closest friends. Retiring would be best, I think, and although he wouldn't be going out on top it's about as close to the top without being there. He hold records which will be hard to break, he has the well-deserved respect of most everyone and is esteemed by his fellow players and coaches, adored by a fanbase and even his critics. In short, he has nothing to prove to anyone, not even himself although that might be the hurdle he can't get over.

Imagine the highlight reels we'll be watching for decades, the stories that will be retold to future fans who aren't even born yet?? Think about that. I'd hate to see him try to do what Peyton Manning did and fail, that would be sad. Even worse would be an injury which ends his career. My hope is that he can reflect on how fortunate he's been, how well he has used God's Gift and find peace with that. The man has nothing to prove to anyone.

Al H.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jason La Canfora reported last night that Brady will absolutely, definitely, not be retiring.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

The greatest of all time. Nothing will ever tarnish that record.
    1. He will sign with the Colts and win a Super Bowl.
    2. He will retire and work as a motivational speaker for the Kraft empire
    3. He will not come back if Josh McDaniels takes a head coaching job
    4. BB and TB ride off in the sunset together.
    5. See any of the above.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2020 9:12AM

As a Michigan man, he should offer to coach the Wolverines for a dollar a year.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

colts? who would ever go there?

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

At his press conference after the game, Brady stated that it was "unlikely" (his word) that he would retire.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that it’s being said that his greatness has tarnished as the team around him has as well. We all know he is going to be 43 right? We also know that the past 3 years he was a Super Bowl winning QB for 2 of the 3 games?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

This team,meaning Brady's offense, didn't have an age issue they had a trust issue. Brady only trusted two players,Edelman & White,and because of that the offense became very predictable especially to two head coaches with former NE ties that beat them the past 2 weeks. Playing behind a mash unit O-line for a large chunk of the season led to a ton of rushed throws/throwaways. Outside of the two I named above there never seemed to be a reliable 3rd option. Dorsett looked like he'd be that guy but injuries including a head one pretty much made him a nonfactor the 2nd half of the season. Sanu came to NE halfway thru the year and outside of brief moments never really caught onto the offense like they hoped he would. Harry looked like a rookie who missed half of the season while another rookie Meyers was playing mostly out of necessity. They got very little production from the TE unit and the run game was below average up till a few weeks ago.

When Brady's throws weren't rushed,thrownaway or just plain out dropped he was forcing it to the only two players that were reliable and opposing teams knew that so they'd double them most of the time. I also think Josh McDaniels playcalling this season was very subpar compared to previous years. Last year's offense dealt with just as many injuries while getting very little from the TE position but McDaniels got really creative when he needed to,not so much this time around.

I don't think Brady retires with that pick-6 ending his career and I don't see him leaving to play elsewhere. I think he just wants his (first?) moment in free agency where he gets a chance to be pampered a bit but in the end Kraft does whatever it takes to keep him in that same uniform his entire career.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

my thoughts on Tom Brady are as such...

anyone with a pulse knows his skill set is eroding. that said, the NE brass should be thoroughly ashamed of the monoliths they surrounded that 42-yr-old man with. stick Dimeman on that team and he might be #2 in creating separation behind Edelman, but he might have better hands. i guess they expect Brady to turn water into wine until he's 150, idk? but that supporting cast was nothing more than chicken shit........and there aint no qb in the history of the league that can make salad outta that

also goes to show just how invaluable Gronk was in that offense

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    my thoughts on Tom Brady are as such...

anyone with a pulse knows his skill set is eroding. that said, the NE brass should be thoroughly ashamed of the monoliths they surrounded that 42-yr-old man with. stick Dimeman on that team and he might be #2 in creating separation behind Edelman, but he might have better hands. i guess they expect Brady to turn water into wine until he's 150, idk? but that supporting cast was nothing more than chicken shit........and there aint no qb in the history of the league that can make salad outta that

also goes to show just how invaluable Gronk was in that offense

I agree with most of this, but if they (Pat's) want to sign me there has to be a clause in my contract stating I never go over the middle. I will only run the deep route!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady will be back in NE next year. He has stated repeatedly this year his desire to play until 45. I have seen every snap this season and Brady's comp perc. Was down due to his receiving crew leading the league in drops and a tremendous amount of throwaways because of very weak OL play up until just a few weeks ago and the absolute inability of his WR to create any seperation.

His decision making seemed solid as ever as his int. % was very low this year and several of the 8 he did throw were off from deflected/dropped balls. He also played through tennis elbow for a number of weeks, but the arm strength is still there. He made a tremendous pass to Edelman on the left hash with plenty of zip on it in traffic last night. An absolute rip. He was also able to make a throw into the back of the end zone from his own 42 line yard 65-68 yards in the air. We are not talking about a manning type loss of velocity here.

Brady likes to win. His best shot at winning is in New England. He realizes that, and I don't think Kraft would allow BB to let him walk in FA.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help but notice that 538 says that Brady's supporting cast is 3rd in the league.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-guide-to-the-nfls-wild-card-weekend/?addata=espn:frontpage

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    I can't help but notice that 538 says that Brady's supporting cast is 3rd in the league.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-guide-to-the-nfls-wild-card-weekend/?addata=espn:frontpage

Agree - no TE, weak receivers and unhealthy Edelman, and average at best O-line. Not sure what that group is smoking 🤪

23 regular season drops for patriots. that will make completion percentage look much worse than normal.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, Brady has not shown any significant drop off. They went 12-4. He was making a bunch of great throws on Saturday. He has shown great pocket movement this season. Hasn't looked skittish even with a depleted offensive line. He won the SB literally last year.

Robert Kraft says he hopes Tom Brady will either stay a Patriot or retire. I just read this online.

@doubledragon said:
    Robert Kraft says he hopes Tom Brady will either stay a Patriot or retire. I just read this online.

Is it a coincidence that this weird season all started with him at the Asia Happy ending spa?

Yes, and while at the spa he had his macaroni taken care of quite well. I'm sure he will find a way to resign Brady.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't have the zip on the ball like he used, when he was unstoppable...but still a hell of a QB.

I predict NE signs a few decent receivers, and he plays two more years before riding off into the sunset.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Dave99B said:
    Doesn't have the zip on the ball like he used, when he was unstoppable...but still a hell of a QB.

I predict NE signs a few decent receivers, and he plays two more years before riding off into the sunset.

Dave

he is a polarizing situation for media figures. Last week I heard a talking head bellowing on some espn garbage show that Brady was the worst QB in the playoffs.

I don't personally think he is that far off last year , I blame it on these stat nerds that can't see the big picture in a lot of the numbers.

Even craig did it above when he quoted the drop numbers , pass attempts are way up this year so drops are going to be higher even if the percentage stays the same. Tom was taking care of the ball so he drilled a lot of balls into the ground on purpose or out the end zone , completion percentage and passer rating is down but who cares about that shit ?

Tannehill had lousy stats if you look at a summary but he got his team into a playoff berth and won the damn game!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Dave99B said:

Dave

he is a polarizing situation for media figures. Last week I heard a talking head bellowing on some espn garbage show that Brady was the worst QB in the playoffs.

I don't personally think he is that far off last year , I blame it on these stat nerds that can't see the big picture in a lot of the numbers.

Even craig did it above when he quoted the drop numbers , pass attempts are way up this year so drops are going to be higher even if the percentage stays the same. Tom was taking care of the ball so he drilled a lot of balls into the ground on purpose or out the end zone , completion percentage and passer rating is down but who cares about that shit ?

Tannehill had lousy stats if you look at a summary but he got his team into a playoff berth and won the damn game!

I totally agree Bronc! I would much rather have a QB like Eli Manning who was so so during the season then stepped it up in the playoffs and won 2 SB's......that a Choke Artist like Romo who had numbers that everybody out here seems to go GAGA over then blow the big games!! He just couldn't seem to get the job done playing with his hands around his throat!

our receivers sucked this year , sports radio was listing all the WR drafted after "nyquil" harry , its embarrassing ,

same thing with sony michel at RB . 2 years in a row Bill wasted the 1st round pic

Ryan Tannehill in saturdays game

Splits CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
    This Game 8 15 53.3 72 4.8 1 1 22 61.0

61 QB rating oh no thats awful right ?

HE WON THE DAMN GAME !!! WHO CARES ?

@bronco2078 said:
    our receivers sucked this year , sports radio was listing all the WR drafted after "nyquil" harry , its embarrassing ,

same thing with sony michel at RB . 2 years in a row Bill wasted the 1st round pic

Broken down so well that even the dumbest sports fan can understand. Not a chance any QB was going to succeed with the offense around him like Brady had, it was a joke. And to think he could have had AB, D Thomas and Gordon at one point. But yea let’s give our 42 year old QB no weapons and hang him out to dry 🙄

we could have had Brown and his cousin! Or that guy russell wilson was throwing bombs to Sunday

HOT TAKE

Bill B is past it , outcoached on all three phases of the game by the Titans staff.

glaring example , last punt he decided to put edelman out to return punt then brings him up and has no returner. Ball downed on the 1. Now Brady has 15 seconds and no time outs to go to field goal range , so the kicker off the street can attempt to win the game.

2019 was the year when all of the massive failures of Bill B the GM came home to roost. Terrible drafts , terrible trades , letting players and coaches walk for money instead of keeping them around . Terrible wretched job by management.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2020 7:39AM

worth a mirthless chuckle...

Yes, but this movie came out first. ;)

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

it's one ring to rule them all!

this season it was the...suffe-ring.

talk radio wondering if brady goes to tennessee ! :D

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully now the myth that Brady can do it without good players around him is put to rest.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:
    Hopefully now the myth that Brady can do it without good players around him is put to rest.

What? Win a Super Bowl or lead his team to the playoffs with a scrap heap of WR’s?

edited January 7, 2020 10:48AM

The AB situation really annoyed me. They should have kept him and ignored the SJW 's . I quit talk radio for a month listening to all those fools whining . How did we get to a place where talk radio hosts are all militant feminists ?

Where does Bob Kraft , mr Handie get off taking the moral high ground

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

What? Win a Super Bowl or lead his team to the playoffs with a scrap heap of WR’s?

Had a pretty good group for a long time, Welker, Edelman, (Moss for a few years) don't forget Gronk!

I am kind of surprised you didn't get farther this year with that outstanding defense.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'll take a stab and say someone administers smelling salts to the pats org and they take a flier on a guy like A.J. Green to keep Brady in-house

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Had a pretty good group for a long time, Welker, Edelman, (Moss for a few years) don't forget Gronk!

I am kind of surprised you didn't get farther this year with that outstanding defense.

The D tired out down the stretch. They also missed on Harry big time especially for a first round pick, throw in Jacoby Meyers as a 5th tier WR too. Let’s not even get into the TE situation. This year the D carried this team but with limited offensive help he did as best as he could.

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

The D tired out down the stretch. They also missed on Harry big time especially for a first round pick, throw in Jacoby Meyers as a 5th tier WR too. Let’s not even get into the TE situation. This year the D carried this team but with limited offensive help he did as best as he could.

Yes they had a very good regular season. When I saw how few points the defense had given up, I figured they might be like Denver in 2015.

Shows it's a team game. You have a pretty good coach too!

Well, I would love to see Gronk return next season, although I did enjoy his antics on Fox NFL Kickoff this year. I especially enjoyed seeing him dress up as "Santa Gronk" and tell us a good ol' fashioned Christmas story about how Bill Belichick won 6 rings.

edited January 7, 2020 12:02PM

@doubledragon said:
    Well, I would love to see Gronk return next season, although I did enjoy his antics on Fox NFL Kickoff this year. I especially enjoyed seeing him dress up as "Santa Gronk" and tell us a good ol' fashioned Christmas story about how Bill Belichick won 6 rings.

This might sound like blasphemy but now that Gronk is not catching g passes in New England I’ve got zero interest in anything he does outside of football, I think he thought he was going to be getting offerers left and right from Hollywood ect.. but the reality is that aside from stupid small comic relief he hasn’t done much, probably less than he expected

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the asking price for his house in Brookline just got reduced to 33 Million.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

This might sound like blasphemy but now that Gronk is not catching g passes in New England I’ve got zero interest in anything he does outside of football, I think he thought he was going to be getting offerers left and right from Hollywood ect.. but the reality is that aside from stupid small comic relief he hasn’t done much, probably less than he expected

I think he never should have retired. He has too much talent to be sitting on a Fox pregame show stage. I know he still has some gas left in the tank, why not use it.

this is another weird area of talk radio. They are all dogging him for what he does on air , and blaming him for the patriots bad season also!

"He hurt the team by not retiring soon enough in the spring"

these are the same aholes whining at andrew luck for choosing his health and retiring . All these lazy fat losers that never played sports lecturing athletes on how to conduct themselves crack me up

Smartest thing he's ever done was retire before he was permanently disabled.

Has had numerous back surgeries and assorted other procedures done.

With a net worth estimated over 50 million, why risk your health?

@bronco2078 said:
    this is another weird area of talk radio. They are all dogging him for what he does on air , and blaming him for the patriots bad season also!

these are the same aholes whining at andrew luck for choosing his health and retiring . All these lazy fat losers that never played sports lecturing athletes on how to conduct themselves crack me up

Well to be fair Andrew Luck legit screwed over the Colts, he gave them ZERO notice.

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Well to be fair Andrew Luck legit screwed over the Colts, he gave them ZERO notice.

i don't think so. I would say the colts ruined him as a player long before this season.

whatshistwit RG3'ed him a few years ago just so he could save his own job

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

I would say there’s at least five guys a WEEK who are given zero notice and screwed over by an NFL GM who sends him packing after a bad mistake in a big game. And they had a QB to replace him that they liked rostered from the year before when Luck was injured and didn’t play football.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

plus its the colts who cares? :D

I have no problem with Andrew Luck whatsoever. I was just counter pointing is all, I couldn’t care less about any NFL team getting screwed by a Player. Including the Patriots, in fact especially the Patriots, Kraft is all about the money at the end of the day.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    The AB situation really annoyed me. They should have kept him and ignored the SJW 's . I quit talk radio for a month listening to all those fools whining . How did we get to a place where talk radio hosts are all militant feminists ?

Wouldn't have mattered if they kept him around - he was put on the commissioner's ...whatever heck it's called ... list and couldn't have played anyway.

given protection and receivers who can separate, Brady will be just fine. In addition, the running game was only viable the last month or so of the season. an effective play action will also open up receivers.

@craig44 said:
    given protection and receivers who can separate, Brady will be just fine. In addition, the running game was only viable the last month or so of the season. an effective play action will also open up receivers.

the running game was never viable . Sony was a wasted 1st round pick.

We used to draft great in the 1st round. About 5 years ago the guy in charge of good picks left and now I guess idiot Bill the GM is doing it , and its wretched