Home Sports Talk
Options

Thoughts on Tom Brady.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    If Brady plays for anybody besides NE this year it will be a travisity!!

Is that the website with great airfares and travel deals?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the YUCKS definitely have better receivers but their OL and D are awful so unless Brady wants to pad his stats he isn’t going to be getting fitted for ring #7 - actually they have his ring size- disregard so pad stats or retire

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

TB is really doing his drama queen best to suck the life out of his FA. I'm anxious for it to be over so I stop getting alerts as this thread dies!! :p

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pats cap space is about to take a pretty big hit with Guard Joe Thuney getting the 15M Franchise Tag. There's always the chance that they workout a extension and remove the tag but if they're willing to give him 15M for one season then his guaranteed money will likely still suck up cap space anyways.

@keets said:
    TB is really doing his drama queen best to suck the life out of his FA. I'm anxious for it to be over so I stop getting alerts as this thread dies!! :p

He really is. He's chosen the worst possible time in his career to want to try out free agency.

• Options

Brady vs Belichick

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still see Brady back in NE. I assume he will come out with a little documentary about the off season.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see if TB or BB does better without the other.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    It would be interesting to see if TB or BB does better without the other.

I think they'd both fail,meaning no SB wins. Brady would likely be going to either TB,OAK or LA who aren't one legit QB away from winning anything. Belichick is looking,at best, maybe 2nd place in the East unless he brings in an established QB immediately and that isn't really a guarantee of anything.

It would suck from a Pats fan perspective but seeing a possible Brady/Brees or Brady/Mahomes twice a season should make for good entertainment.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 2:29AM

Bill doesn’t try for Diggs and he lets Van Noy go to the Dolphins, Jamie Collins to the Lions. OK so it’s pretty clear that Belichick will let this Awesome Defense fall apart and be in a worse situation than last year since it carried the team to the playoffs 🤷‍♂️😫🤬

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Belichick's greatness as a head coach, surpasses Tom Brady's greatness as a quarterback.

Now that this case is closed, we can move on to another topic.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Bill Belichick's greatness as a head coach, surpasses Tom Brady's greatness as a quarterback.

Now that this case is closed, we can move on to another topic.

😴

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well hes gone B)

Tom's balls finally dropped and he kicked Bill to the curb.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I hope the Pats go 0-16, I really do. Belichick lets Collins and Van Noy walk to dismantle the D and now we got Stidgam at QB with no receivers. 👍👍🤬

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 6:39AM

Good for Tom,I'll be rooting for whichever team he ends up with but my allegiance still belongs to NE. Cmon Bill,let's start the tank and get some top 10 picks in here finally.

I just hope whoever the next QB is doesn't get Edelman killed while he's going over the middle.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's not gone yet. Hasn't signed with anyone.

Might just be putting pressure on management?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2020 6:50AM

Management here is Belichick and all reports are that they've already made their best offer which led to Tom's love letters to the fans today. By now he knows how much money is out there for him and he's just deciding which new team it will be.

I think if Bob Kraft had any say in this Brady would have already been re-signed.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Management here is Belichick and all reports are that they've already made their best offer which led to Tom's love letters to the fans today. By now he knows how much money is out there for him and he's just deciding which new team it will be.

I think if Bob Kraft had any say in this Brady would have already been re-signed.

I am not making any predictions, BUT this wouldn't be the first time a player "said goodby" and then suddenly signed a contract to stay.

Just sayin'

I hope he finishes out his career with the Patriots, but won't be heartbroken if he leaves.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Not a chance Brady would embarrass himself and bow down to Belichick and his crappy contract offer, the only time we will see Brady in a Pats Jersey is on his HOF Plaque

• Options

I will continue to root for Brady to succeed and for the Patriots obviously but I want them to go 0-16 this coming season so Big Bill can look like an idiot

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Not a chance Brady would embarrass himself and bow down to Belichick and his crappy contract offer, the only time we will see Brady in a Pats Jersey is on his HOF Plaque

That's not what I meant. It would seem to me (I don't follow your team though) that the owner would have something to say about it.

Do you have ANYONE at back up QB?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe he's just retiring.... :(

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 7:03AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@erikthredd said:

I am not making any predictions, BUT this wouldn't be the first time a player "said goodby" and then suddenly signed a contract to stay.

Just sayin'

I hope he finishes out his career with the Patriots, but won't be heartbroken if he leaves.

I hear you but I really think it's all past that point now but we'll see though. I want nothing more than to see Brady in the Pats red,white & blue next season.

Hey what did you think about the Diggs deal? The Vikings got a pretty solid haul of picks for him.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Maybe he's just retiring.... :(

I would rather see that than him playing for anyone else.

Harmon Killebrew played his final year for the Royals, a decision he regretted.

I hated Calvin Griffith for releasing Harmon!!!!!

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 7:16AM

@erikthredd said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@erikthredd said:

Just sayin'

I hear you but I really think it's all past that point now but we'll see though. I want nothing more than to see Brady in the Pats red,white & blue next season.

Hey what did you think about the Diggs deal? The Vikings got a pretty solid haul of picks for him.

The number 1 is good, it's a pretty low #1 though.

A 5 and 6 is kind of meaningless (usually), the Vikings are in a strange spot. Are they becoming a running team with (injury prone but talented) Dalvin Cook? Their back up RB looks pretty good too.

I thought he would be traded. (he IS a strange fellow) He is a great receiver but after Thielen the Vikings have nothing. They seem to have one guy on the O-Line that can pass block.

They might lose 1/2 their defense to cuts and free agency. They're down to 2 D lineman, 2 linebackers and a couple of Safeties right now, and only 12 million under the cap.

Bottom line, the Vikings had only one asset of value and kind of had to trade him. Now they have to make good decisions in the draft. The Vikings have a spotty record in drafting.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2020 7:21AM

Nevermind, I see that it's already been reported on this thread. 🤕

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@erikthredd said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@erikthredd said:

Just sayin'

A 5 and 6 is kind of meaningless (usually), the Vikings are in a strange spot. Are they becoming a running team with (injury prone but talented) Dalvin Cook? Their back up RB looks pretty good too.

I thought he would be traded. (he IS a strange fellow) He is a great receiver but after Thielen the Vikings have nothing. They seem to have one guy on the O-Line that can pass block.

They might lose 1/2 their defense to cuts and free agency. They're down to 2 D lineman, 2 linebackers and a couple of Safeties right now, and only 12 million under the cap.

Bottom line, the Vikings had only one asset of value and kind of had to trade him. Now they have to make good decisions in the draft. The Vikings have a spotty record in drafting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they just save like 10Mish by trading Diggs? is his money included in the 12M or is it on top of it? Those rookie contracts shouldn't amount to much so any extra cap space is a plus imo.

• Options

It's sad to see Brady leave. He gave his heart and soul to that Team.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

That's not what I meant. It would seem to me (I don't follow your team though) that the owner would have something to say about it.

Do you have ANYONE at back up QB?

I think Kraft finally let Belichick handle this. Jarrett Stidham is our QB for now

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a freakin' Drama Queen he's turning out to be. I rank this whole thing up there with the first time Lebron James left Cleveland and he did the entire thing live, stringing everyone along till the last moment. it left a very bad taste in mouth's of most Cavs fans that took awhile to dissipate, many never forgave him. these guys are spectacular athletes making unbelievable money to go along with the adoration of tens of thousands of fans, why do they need to act like this???

I suppose it would have been too hard to work through this in solitude, reach a decision and make a move.

• Options

Lmao! Brady's departure is nowhere near the level of ridiculousness that Lebron put his fans through on the way out the door. Not even close. Let me know when Tom exploits a bunch of kids like Lebron did. One SB commercial and one farewell on Instagram is all we got from Brady,the rest came from the media.

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    If Brady plays for anybody besides NE this year it will be a travisity!!

Is that the website with great airfares and travel deals?

Almost spit my coffee out on that one! Its travelocity!

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 7:59AM

@erikthredd said:
    Lmao! Brady's departure is nowhere near the level of ridiculousness that Lebron put his fans through on the way out the door. Not even close. Let me know when Tom exploits a bunch of kids like Lebron did. One SB commercial and one farewell on Instagram is all we got from Brady,the rest came from the media.

I would have to agree, this ranks nothing compared to Lebron's pay per view decision.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents on Brady's departure...

A given...he doesn't need the money, his net worth exceeds 1/2 billion, his wife is a major part of this.

I think the 2020 season for the Patriot's is a tough slug, probably the toughest schedule in the NFL...this without a lot of analysis. I also think the Patriot's team has changed substantially and perhaps Brady didn't see enough depth, or protection from the offensive line. As we all witnessed, he has slowed down considerably. He would be facing young, hungry defensive players who would love nothing more than to knock Brady down.

Playing in Foxboro in the winter is brutal. Having grown up about 30 miles away, the winter's and cold are killer bad. I suspect he may opt for a team who plays their games indoors or, at least in a pleasant climate...Tampa Bay?? No income tax?And will check the schedule for away games that limit his exposure to the elements.

He obviously wants another SB win, to make him the best of the best. There is an obvious ego element. I would rather he left the stage on a high note, like after the 2018 SB win. The comeback in that game was incredible.

Perhaps we don't, or can't appreciate or rationalize his thought process, because we are simply not on his plane, either emotionally, or otherwise. He just isn't a "normal" person, not like he's a blue collar worker who just got offered the CEO position...Tom IS the NFL right now and can pick and choose his sandbox. He may have emotional ties to NE, after 20 years, who couldn't? But, to me, the bottom line is SB ring #7, no more, no less.

My wild guess...TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS, why? No games against the Pats in 2020, SB is in Tampa next year. Nice weather!

GL Tom, and like Bob Hope, thanks for the memories.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's really no reason for anyone here to be contemplating a swan dive off a ledge. do any of you guys realize the quality of boner that Bill O'B would get if Bill B called him this morning and dropped Cody Kessler into the convo? Frank Thomas would be out of a gig with Nugenix and D-Wat would be in Massachusetts by lunchtime

• Options

I say he retires

• Options

Ya here is our offer tom 10 million a year , we have to pay 25 mil to a couple of oline guys so we subtracted it from your offer , for the good of the team

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@erikthredd said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@erikthredd said:

Just sayin'

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they just save like 10Mish by trading Diggs? is his money included in the 12M or is it on top of it? Those rookie contracts shouldn't amount to much so any extra cap space is a plus imo.

From article in local newspaper website;

"As part of the deal, the Vikings will absorb the remaining $9 million of Diggs’ signing bonus from the deal he signed in 2018, but they will also save $4.9 million in cap space."

Not sure where Vikings are capwise. The latest report said they were 11.5 million under cap, this number includes the savings on the Diggs trade.

Right now we have 7 starters on defense under contract. A couple of guys they cut might come back for less money. Right now we have NONE of last years starting Cornerbacks.

• Options

We all knew this day was coming so it shouldn't really be a shock to anyone. Sure reading his instagram post this morning was a bit sad as will the day we hear he signs with his new team but as far as I'm concerned,Brady owes me nothing. I got to see the best championship run in NFL history. The memories of watching them win their 1st SB with my dad,freaking out with my son when Malcolm Butler iced another win to texting with my son during 28-3 while he was watching from an army base in Kuwait can never be taken away. Not to mention I made a crapton of cash these past few years selling off my high end Brady collection that sat in a desk drawer for 10+ years. I'm good,thanks for everything Tom.

I want the Pats to tank now and load up on high round picks. Not necessarily 0-16 because that ineptitude is reserved for some truly horrible franchises but 3-13/4-12? Sign me up.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

My wild guess...TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS, why? No games against the Pats in 2020, SB is in Tampa next year. Nice weather!

This would be interesting from the fact if he signs a 2 year deal with the Bucs then he'll likely be the starter when the Bucs come to NE in 2021. Imagine if the NFL threw him a bone and scheduled that game in the final week of the regular season. Assuming that was his last season he would have played his last regular season game in NE.

• Options

The pats cant draft eric , tanking wont work.

Bill gets the first overall pick he trades it for a 7th rounder in 2025 and uses it on a punter

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

Bill gets the first overall pick he trades it for a 7th rounder in 2025 and uses it on a punter

😂😂😂

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 8:34AM

@bronco2078 said:

Belichick has done very well with his first round picks,you just choose to ignore that. He's only traded out of the first round entirely 2 times in 19 seasons and one of those two was a trade for Brandin Cooks.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Belichick has done very well with his first round picks,you just choose to ignore that. He's only traded out of the first round entirely 2 times in 19 seasons and one of those two was a trade for Brandin Cooks.

We know that whoever was the draft guru left about 5 years ago . Plus since bill gets us busted for cheating all the time we dont get first rounders. we are waiting on the penalty for the latest incident lets assume that will make tanking pointless anyway

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 9:00AM

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

We know that whoever was the draft guru left about 5 years ago . Plus since bill gets us busted for cheating all the time we dont get first rounders. we are waiting on the penalty for the latest incident lets assume that will make tanking pointless anyway

The draft guru you speak of,Scott Pioli,left in 2008 and if we're really giving him credit then he's to blame for Laurence Maroney in 2006 and Brandon "Big Bang Clock" Meriweather in 2007.
    BB has had the final say on draft picks since he came here,no one else. I agree he's got plenty of cringe worthy picks over the years (WRs & DBs in the 2nd/3rd round) but his first round picks for the most part have mostly been studs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_England_Patriots_first-round_draft_picks

edit: I stand corrected,BB traded out of the 1st round three times not two.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

The draft guru you speak of,Scott Pioli,left in 2008 and if we're really giving him credit then he's to blame for Laurence Maroney in 2006 and Brandon "Big Bang Clock" Meriweather in 2007.
    BB has had the final say on draft picks since he came here,no one else. I agree he's got plenty of cringe worthy picks over the years (WRs & DBs in the 2nd/3rd round) but his first round picks for the most part have mostly been studs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_England_Patriots_first-round_draft_picks

nope I am not crediting him with up to 2012 . There was another guy that did those. Bill owns from 2013 on and that looks gross. How many WR did he pass on to grab sony michel and then nyquil harry ? WR that were starters all over the league

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 9:11AM

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

nope I am not crediting him with up to 2012 . There was another guy that did those. Bill owns from 2013 on and that looks gross. How many WR did he pass on to grab sony michel and then nyquil harry ? WR that were starters all over the league

Why did you cherrypick 2012 when the guy you want to give all the credit to left four years earlier? You conveniently skip over McCourty,Solder,Hightower & Jones who had nothing to do with Scott Pioli or any other guy which is just false.
    If Pioli was so great then why did his time as a GM without BB last just three seasons? Go look at his draft picks during that time,outside of Eric Berry who was the #5 pick in the draft they all sucked. Your cynicism can be downright hilarious at times lol.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Why did you cherrypick 2012 when the guy you want to give all the credit to left four years earlier? You conveniently skip over McCourty,Solder,Hightower & Jones who had nothing to do with Scott Pioli or any other guy which is just false.
    If Pioli was so great then why did his time as a GM without BB last just three seasons? Go look at his draft picks during that time,outside of Eric Berry who was the #5 pick in the draft they all sucked. Your cynicism can be downright hilarious at times lol.

I never mentioned Piloi you brought him up. The Pats drafting just turned to crap after 2012 .I don't keep track of the nerds . They certainly began to suck after a certain point.

By the way the years of no pick cuz the league took it , those are all charged to Billy B

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

How many WR did he pass on to grab sony michel and then nyquil harry ? WR that were starters all over the league

Sony Michel was great his rookie season including the SB run where he averaged 100+rushing yards per game and 6 total TDs. Go ahead and point out horrible he was last season next to arguably one of the worst Offensive Lines in all of football.
    Harry? Guy got put on IR,with an actual injury no less, when NE's WR core at the time had Antonio Brown,Julian Edelman,Josh Gordon,Demaryius Thomas & Phillip Dorsett.
    You act like Brady would have clicked with just any rookie WR after Harry when outside of Deion Branch and maybe Malcolm Mitchell he's never played well throwing to rookies.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

I never mentioned Piloi you brought him up. The Pats drafting just turned to crap after 2012 .I don't keep track of the nerds . They certainly began to suck after a certain point.

By the way the years of no pick cuz the league took it , those are all charged to Billy B

Wow dude,you're just whining for the sake of whining at this point. I'm done,keep going if you want.