Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card of the Day

Let's see some cards, guys. Any genre, any era, any value, any reason. And of course tastes can change daily, so please post again the next day... and the next... and the next...

A personal favorite for obvious reasons.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Comments

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

I would but all my attempts say “waiting to be approved”.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a few packs of 88T laying around and I can't seem to leave much of anything unopened. This card always makes me giggle with Topps in a rush to fix their error ...

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 12:01PM

Panini Black Gold George "the iceman" Gervin

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

At 22 he is a beast
    So many very good young players today
    I usually don't collect new shinny stuff but...……………

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Found a few packs of 88T laying around and I can't seem to leave much of anything unopened. This card always makes me giggle with Topps in a rush to fix their error ...

I always thought it would be fun to have Jack Clark sign that special offer card.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Willie Mosconi promo card

Wow. Very cool.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim that Gehrig is off the charts! Never seen one.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

My Reggie Jackson Rookie Card has officially been put to shame. Incredible.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah... This isn't necessarily a best card thread. Just whatever card you happen to really enjoy today. Tomorrow's choice can be totally different.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 4:52PM

@MikeyP said:
    My Reggie Jackson Rookie Card has officially been put to shame. Incredible.

No way, @MikeyP !!!

That Reggie is HOT - great centering!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Thanks, Wheaties. That is a beautiful Lou Gehrig card.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 6:37PM

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey Season!

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I'll set the bar low for everyone.

Arthur

That was my job yesterday, well done continuing the 1988 BB theme ;)

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 8:15AM

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

My Card for the day. Topps Fire Mike Trout. I love the blue color.

• psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Found this card back in the day. It has turned to cloth.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

@clarke442 said:
    Hockey Season!

Great card. Such a tragedy too. One can only think about what might have been if he had stayed healthy. One of the most touching moments too when he made an appearance to commemorate the retiring of the old Boston Garden and the crowd went wild. They had not forgotten.

• My favorite...

There can be only one....

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Nice rookie of a guy who will get in to the Hall of Fame one day. Really great player who always seemed at his best in big games...

I don't think he makes it into the HoF, but find it completely irrelevant from a collecting perspective. He's in your Hall and that's all that really matters ;)

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/coneda01.shtml

Worth a review - and note his career ERA especially was not helped by his last three seasons. He also seemed to often start slowly in seasons and pitch great in the second half, limiting all star appearances but not great seasons. The perfect game, many excellent postseason starts and multiple championships where he was a very key piece.

From what I’ve been told, his case looks even better through the sabermetrics lens and he’s a solid announcer, still around the game - I think there’s a Veterans committee chance for a Coney...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always proud to show off this one.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    I'm always proud to show off this one.

That is an absolute beast of a card. I would never get tired of looking at it.

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@Brian48 said:
    Well, really two cards. Matched set with consecutive cert numbers. Hoping thse will really help supplement my retirement in a few years (assuming I live that long).

I owned a card shop back in 2000 and I had three guys with a huge ton of cash opening every box of Contenders that they could get their hands on. They were not interested in anything but the rookie autos and inserts and would always leave me the rest of the box contents to do what I wanted with them. It seemed that Brady was the one rookie autograph in which they would almost always get and it got so bad they would leave me the Brady's with the commons. Since nobody thought he would make anything of himself I would often sell the rookies on my discount board for about 4 bucks each and they sat on the board with little interest. There was only one guy who loved Brady and bought everything I had but he only came in occasionally but whatever I had laying around he wanted it. If I only knew then what I know now I could easily retire as well as I have no doubt I sold twenty regular Brady rookies at less than five bucks each.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Moved to Tampa in 1976, first year the Bucs came into existence, so naturally big fan ever since. Leroy was one of the early staples and easy to cheer for.

Later on, I had a good friend who worked at USF during the time Leroy was Athletic Director there. He told me a story where there was a Christmas party and my friend was standing off to the side, kind of by himself and Leroy approached him. He said "Hi Steve, How's it going" My friend said he was so excited as it appeared that Leroy new his name and must have been following his career. Then he looked down and noticed he had his name tag on. :) They engaged in friendly conversation for several minutes.

After Leroy passed, I heard people speak of Leroy and they mentioned that whenever you were in a room with him, he made you feel that you were the most important person in the room. That reminded me of my friends story.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff