Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card of the Day

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2019 9:48AM

Molten Metal Isiah Thomas. I always enjoyed watching this guy play. He wasn't the biggest guy on the court, but he could explode at any given time. I love the design on this card.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Only pitcher to have a no hitter as his last MLB win. Then he went all Steve Blass and was out of baseball in a year.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

My new Lou made me dig up my favorite Lou. I repeat myself all the time with this but I think this is one of the most beautiful cards ever designed. The border is regal and the color scheme just works. Invoking Andy Warhol yet preceding him by 30 years, it is truly pop celebrity art. The image of Lou is just spectacular with those powerful arms on full display - arms built to grip lumber, leap toward the ball and drive it a country mile.

1935 Wheaties Series 1 - Lou Gehrig

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

@Brian48 said:
    Well, really two cards. Matched set with consecutive cert numbers. Hoping thse will really help supplement my retirement in a few years (assuming I live that long).

I purchased mine back in 2004. I submitted it to Beckett a few years ago, and I was told that the top of the card was trimmed. I had never felt so sick to my stomach in all of my life.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:
    My card for today is my vote for best looking card of all time.

I love this set.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Is Trout ever going to play in a World Series?

• Options

Why does that small cardboard artistic masterpiece featuring the great Roy Campanella look so familiar to me... ;)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@jlvette50 said:
    Moved to Tampa in 1976, first year the Bucs came into existence, so naturally big fan ever since. Leroy was one of the early staples and easy to cheer for.

Later on, I had a good friend who worked at USF during the time Leroy was Athletic Director there. He told me a story where there was a Christmas party and my friend was standing off to the side, kind of by himself and Leroy approached him. He said "Hi Steve, How's it going" My friend said he was so excited as it appeared that Leroy new his name and must have been following his career. Then he looked down and noticed he had his name tag on. :) They engaged in friendly conversation for several minutes.

After Leroy passed, I heard people speak of Leroy and they mentioned that whenever you were in a room with him, he made you feel that you were the most important person in the room. That reminded me of my friends story.

Nice card, surprised by the grade. Looks like some corner/edge wear.

• Options

I love 2000 Bowman football. The chrome makes it look cool.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

These two go together...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halos2002 said:
    Is Trout ever going to play in a World Series?

not with the angels no matter if maddon is the manager now.

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

B)

• Options

Happy 50th Juan! You should be in the HOF!

Also Happy birthdays to the Mick, Juan Marichal and Keith Hernandez!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sunday fun day.

Only 7 of these cards and I gotta believe mine is the only autographed one.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

B)

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

This one is a pretty nice, self subbed card. It’s a really nice example (I had small hopes for a better grade) and I am glad I got it back before prices reached current levels.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 8:33AM

Got a case of the Mondays. OPC version of the RC of one of the great characters in baseball history, signed in person and then self subbed.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one's kinda pretty ...

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love seeing the '90s love. I'll stick with that theme.

Tougher than his Topps Chrome Refractor rookie.

Arthur

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

@MikeyP said:

@Brian48 said:
    Well, really two cards. Matched set with consecutive cert numbers. Hoping thse will really help supplement my retirement in a few years (assuming I live that long).

I purchased mine back in 2004. I submitted it to Beckett a few years ago, and I was told that the top of the card was trimmed. I had never felt so sick to my stomach in all of my life.

Might be worth a resub one day. I wouldn't lose complete faith. Granted, there's a lot of trimming activity these days that's got all the grading companies spooked, but that might pass with time. This card is prone to being undersized from the factory so I would imagine a lot specimens are being turned away at the moment. If you bought it in '04, I doubt anyone was bothering to trim this care back then. Laser trimmers were not priced for the consumer market at the time, Brady was no where near as popular as he is today, and even then, EVERYBODY was looking for the SP Authentic, not the Contenders. I bought both in '04 as well and the Champ Tix only cost me $225 to show how relatively unpopular these cards were. I eventually sent them in for grading back in '07 during the undefeated run when all of sudden Brady was a lot more than just a game manager once he had someone to throw the ball too.

• Options

Reinhold Messner, the greatest mountain climber that will ever live. You name it, he's climbed it. The Michael Jordan of mountain climbers.

• Options

Here ya go Todd, a tough low pop Robinson from the all AFL set.

Matt

• Options

Thanks for the information, Brian. Unfortunately, PSA told me the same thing that Beckett did. It certainly may have been miscut at the factory. I was still told by both companies that it would be rejected. I sold it at a reduced price with full disclosure, and I purchased a vintage baseball card instead. It made me feel a little better to leave the show with something of value.

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 6:38PM

1948 menko sheet

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Looks like the market has finally caught on to the difficulty of finding this card. I've been blown away by the recent auction closes for raw and what the current one has been bid up to ...

Agreed, and the one that sold yesterday was a crazy price IMO considering that the upper left corner was recolored with a blue marker that didn't even match the rest of the border.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    Looks like the market has finally caught on to the difficulty of finding this card. I've been blown away by the recent auction closes for raw and what the current one has been bid up to ...

Agreed, and the one that sold yesterday was a crazy price IMO considering that the upper left corner was recolored with a blue marker that didn't even match the rest of the border.

I wasn't positive that was a recolor, but looking again, you're likely correct. The shredded bottom border was enough to keep me away at that price. Still better than the auction before that I have suspicions was shaved at the bottom (and likely the other BIN from the same seller, but have never inspected closely). There should be a nick in the bottom border and I'm very hesitant to bid on one without it. I'm really shocked the others from that set haven't caught on yet, I've got them priced very reasonably and so far I think only the Kobe was snatched and @jradke4 here caught the higher grade Favre.

The $5k and up guys are still dreaming though.

• Options

1999 UD Choice

StarQuest
    Gold (serial-numbered to 100 copies).

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Always nice to see a Jeter SP.
    Love the 65 Luis. Loved watching him pitch. You could throw out the book on pitching mechanics out the window.

That is the first mountain climber card I have ever seen.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

My card for the day, 2008 Topps Hardwood Jerry West. I love the wood design on the card.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I wasn't positive that was a recolor, but looking again, you're likely correct. The shredded bottom border was enough to keep me away at that price. Still better than the auction before that I have suspicions was shaved at the bottom (and likely the other BIN from the same seller, but have never inspected closely). There should be a nick in the bottom border and I'm very hesitant to bid on one without it. I'm really shocked the others from that set haven't caught on yet, I've got them priced very reasonably and so far I think only the Kobe was snatched and @jradke4 here caught the higher grade Favre.

The $5k and up guys are still dreaming though.

So far, PSA has been N9'ing the 1996 Sported! set even though they grade the 1997 set. I'm still waiting & hoping for consistency to catch on with that one and looking forward to seeing the 1996 ones slabbed soon.

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    My card today. I don’t collect a lot of basketball, but I LOVED skybox as a kid. What’s better than a gem MJ from the first year of Skybox?

Jordan's stylin' on the back of that one too ;)

• Options

Last pitcher to start both ends of a doubleheader. I do believe with the "opener" evolving these days that there will be another soon. Happy 78th birthday Wilbur!

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Pulled some binders out of the closet looking for some other cards and (re)discovered Harley Quinn's rookie card ;-)

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2019 12:37PM

First Pre War card that I acquired; an image that always caught my eye.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays - when I got the card re-holdered I had it go through grading to see and if I remember right it was a pretty low grade and at that time I decided to just keep it as is - Authentic and Auto 9.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@miwlvrn said:
    So far, PSA has been N9'ing the 1996 Sported! set even though they grade the 1997 set. I'm still waiting & hoping for consistency to catch on with that one and looking forward to seeing the 1996 ones slabbed soon.

I think it's more the format of those than not having a checklist. They don't grade any modern pop-ups that I'm aware of: https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball-cards/1995/kraft-pop-ups-no-longer-grading/40990

The checklist for the 1996 set is readily available and they've got it on file. Some modern pop-ups that are still being graded by PSA that come to mind (I've got some of these) include the following sets:

Baseball
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups

Hockey
    1994 Parkhurst Missing Link Pop-Ups

So, I guess it doesn't make sense that 1996 Sported!/Match! being pop-ups format would be the reason why they haven't started grading them yet?

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@miwlvrn said:

I think it's more the format of those than not having a checklist. They don't grade any modern pop-ups that I'm aware of: https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball-cards/1995/kraft-pop-ups-no-longer-grading/40990

The checklist for the 1996 set is readily available and they've got it on file. Some modern pop-ups that are still being graded by PSA that come to mind (I've got some of these) include the following sets:

Baseball
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups
    1986 Donruss Pop-Ups

Hockey
    1994 Parkhurst Missing Link Pop-Ups

So, I guess it doesn't make sense that 1996 Sported!/Match! being pop-ups format would be the reason why they haven't started grading them yet?

It's got something to do with the way they pop up with the pull tabs and not being just a flat front and back card, it's three (?) separate layers of cardboard on the 96 Sported!. Have you seen a complete list for the 97s of which are perforated vs dashed line? I know of three so far available in both varieties, but haven't been able to find an image of any sheets. It's made quite a mess of the pop report with perforated cards noted as 'Hand Cut' on the flips.

• Options

1999 Black Diamond
    Quadruple (Green foil)

Each base card is available in one of three "Diamond" parallels: Double, Triple, and Quadruple. Each is serial-numbered to the following production figures EXCEPT the cards of Sammy Sosa, Ken Griffey, Jr., and Mark McGwire.
    Double (Red foil): short set, 3000; Debuts, 2500
    Triple (Yellow foil): short set, 1500; Debuts, 1000
    Quadruple (Green foil): short set, 150; Debuts, 100
    For Sosa, Griffey, and McGwire their Double, Triple, and Quadruple Diamond parallels are as follows.
    Double (serial-numbered to 1998)
    Triple (Sosa: 273 copies, Griffey: 350, McGwire: 457)
    Quadruple (Sosa: 66 copies, Griffey: 56, McGwire: 70)
    The Triple Diamonds were serial-numbered to their career home run total after the 1998 season. The Quadruple Diamonds were numbered to their 1998 season home run total.