Home Sports Talk

2019 College Football thread

garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the last CF thread got erased because of 1970's banning.

Oregon was ahead the entire game and lost in the last 15 seconds to Auburn.

Missouri was stunned by Wyoming. Missouri was picked by some people to win the division mostly because of Kelly Bryant. Bad loss.

Tennessee suffered their worst loss in history to of all teams...Georgia State :D

Michigan has led the nation in attendance 42 out of the last 44 years.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Some interesting tidbits about Northwestern vs Stanford.

2015 Last time these 2 teams played, score was NW 16 Stanford...... 6....This was the year Christian Mccraffrey was robbed of a heisman trophy.
    2019................................................................. Stanford 17 Northwestern 7

Both games very little offense. 2019 it was Stanford 10 NW 7 with 30 seconds left to play. NW had the ball at the NW 22 yd line and Hunter Johnson got drilled and fumbled the ball. Ball went into the end zone with Stanford recovering for a TD.

Northwestern is ranked #25 in the USA Today coaches poll.
    Stanford is ranked #25 in the AP poll.

In 1935, Stanford Stadium set a record for single-game attendance, with 94,000 spectators filling it for a 13–0 victory over California. Yesterdays game against Northwestern had a reported attendance of just 37,000.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tennessee favored by 25 loses on the field. What happened to that program?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

New year, same Tennessee. Overrated every single year going into the season.
    2008: 5-7
    2009: 7-6
    2010: 6-7
    2011: 5-7
    2012: 5-7
    2013: 5-7
    2014: 7-6
    2015: 9-4
    2016: 9-4
    2017: 4-8
    2018: 5-7
    2019: 0-1

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was at my buddies house watching games, he’s a UT alum, was not pretty.

Auburn should have lost.

And I would have sworn Vandy/UGA was played in Athens, unreal the amount of red in that stadium.

GO DAWGS!!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope Oklahoma and Alabama collide this season. Jalen Hurts looked solid last night, scoring 6 TDs. I would love to see him go against his old team, Alabama.

Some great games this Saturday.

Texas a@m vs Clemson

LSU vs Texas

Cincinnati vs Ohio State

Late game ----Stanford vs USC

My upset pick of the week.....Maryland over Syracuse

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems too early in the season for Stanford-USC.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maryland has an underappreciated Head Coach. I am not sold that should Maryland win that it would be an upset.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

As a Pac-12 fan I am worried the Mountain West is about to surpass us. Things are tough out west. Luckily I like some of the MWC schools like Boise and Utah State. I was bummed Utah State lost a close one this weekend but Jordan Love had 400+

Will be curious what Tennessee does against BYU.

As a UCLA fan I am really dreading Oklahoma coming to town in a couple weeks. That could be really ugly.

@larryallen73 said:
    As a Pac-12 fan I am worried the Mountain West is about to surpass us. Things are tough out west. Luckily I like some of the MWC schools like Boise and Utah State. I was bummed Utah State lost a close one this weekend but Jordan Love had 400+

As a UCLA fan I am really dreading Oklahoma coming to town in a couple weeks. That could be really ugly.

The Pac 12 is starting to remind me of the Big 10 in that one of the divisions is loaded with most of the talent, and the other is just kind of meh. The North has Stanford, Wash, Wash St, and Oregon. The South has Utah and USC.

What I Collect:

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

The Maryland vs. Syracuse game is an interesting one. Last week the line opened at Syracuse (-5) and now the line is Maryland (-2)...that's a 7 point swing, that virtually never happens unless a key player gets injured. This line move is because the Syracuse offense looked terrible in their opener against Liberty. They only threw for 179 yards. Meanwhile Maryland walloped Howard 79-0. Scoring 79 points sounds impressive, but it came against Howard, meaning Maryland really hasn't been tested. I know in the past Maryland has worked their kids really hard preparing for games. I'm looking forward to this game more than some of the featured games.

The PAC-12 needs an out of conference signature win in the worst way. You only get a limited number of these games each year and the PAC-12 has not through when the football world was watching. Oregon had plenty of chances to put Auburn in a deep hole up 21-6 with the ball. What do they do, they take their foot off the gas. If you are going to get conservative with your play calling at least stay physical. I did not see the desire by Oregon to impose their will. You lose the battle in the trenches and its a matter of time before things fall apart.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

@orioles93 said:

@larryallen73 said:

The Pac 12 is starting to remind me of the Big 10 in that one of the divisions is loaded with most of the talent, and the other is just kind of meh.

Both big ten divisions are loaded. There are three big 10 west teams ranked, and they went 4-1 in the bowl games last year.

@garnettstyle said:

@orioles93 said:

@larryallen73 said:

The Pac 12 is starting to remind me of the Big 10 in that one of the divisions is loaded with most of the talent, and the other is just kind of meh.

Both big ten divisions are loaded. There are three big 10 west teams ranked, and they went 4-1 in the bowl games last year.

I’m not saying the West doesn’t have good teams. I’m just saying the East has 4 of the top 5 teams in the big 10. OSU, PSU, Mich, Mich St, Wisc are the top 5 programs at the moment. Iowa, Minn, NW and Nebraska all look decent but let’s not confuse them with the East powers 1 week into the season.

What I Collect:

@orioles93 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@orioles93 said:

@larryallen73 said:

I’m not saying the West doesn’t have good teams. I’m just saying the East has 4 of the top 5 teams in the big 10. OSU, PSU, Mich, Mich St, Wisc are the top 5 programs at the moment. Iowa, Minn, NW and Nebraska all look decent but let’s not confuse them with the East powers 1 week into the season.

And Purdue beat three ranked teams last year and handed the Buckeyes their only loss. Wisconsin went 13-1 two years ago. The gap is closer than it was a few years ago.

@garnettstyle said:

@orioles93 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@orioles93 said:

@larryallen73 said:

And Purdue beat three ranked teams last year and handed the Buckeyes their only loss. Wisconsin went 13-1 two years ago. The gap is closer than it was a few years ago.

I agree with you about the gap being closer than before. Minn, Purdue, and Nebraska all look better than in recent years, but I still don't see them having the talent close to the top East teams. Iowa, NW, and Wisc always seem to play better than their recruiting says they should. No one in the entire big ten comes close to the recruiting success of OSU, PSU, and Mich in recent years.

What I Collect:

Big 10 is the best in all facets of life. Please don't suggest otherwise.

Boise State big tonight

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited September 7, 2019 4:03AM

Yesterday on BTN's The BIG Show, former Buckeye linebacker Joshua Perry was asked what team was the best football team he ever saw. Perry's answer was the 2015 Ohio State team because of all the talent, and how bad they defeated Michigan on the road and Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl that year. Had an NFL-ish QB, a RB and WR that are each possibly best in the league, a top 2-3 DE, multiple other draft picks on the d-line, and a secondary that was all future first rounders. He also said that the 2015 team would've defeated the 2014 team easily. Glen Mason was asked the same question and his pick was the 90's Nebraska teams.

Its a shame the Dumb committee left the 2015 team out of the playoffs, who were a one loss defending champion.

The committee has screwed The Buckeyes out of a National championship three out of the last four years.

Not sure if army has looked pretty good or if Michigan has just looked bad

What I Collect:

Michigan vs Army. Second overtime. Both competitors exchanging blows in the ring. Wife, dear, since you're already in the kitchen, can you drop back in the pocket, and throw me a cold one!

Michigan escapes. A real heartbreaker for Army. What a game.

Army looked good, wolverines looked like crap

Army shouldve won the game. They had plenty of chances. Michigan had three fumbles. Michigan has two weeks to prepare to go to Wisconsin.

Ohio State handed Cincinnati their first shutout since 2005.
    Purdue destroys SEC power Vanderbilt.
    Maryland puts up 62 against ranked Syracuse.

Colorado beats Nebraska in overtime. A classic. I love College football.

Wolverines got lucky, outplayed and lucky. Army looked good.

Maryland has me going WTF 2 weeks in a row now. Vegas has to be in on it and loving it, ha!

Texas has no defense.

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

It's not a surprise that Maryland beat Syracuse, but how easily they won going away opened some eyes.

Michigan looks too inexperienced. They need to improve in a lot of areas.

Ohio State vs. Cincinnati was never really a game.

LSU looks completely different on offense, welcome to the modern age of football.

Tennessee right now looks like they should be relegated out of the SEC (at least for a year until they get their act together).

Nebraska needs to learn how to finish games if they want to get back to their winning ways of the past.

A lot of ranked teams were involved in games that never should have been on their schedule. Florida Gators vs. Univ Tenn-Martin; Alabama vs New Mexico State; Georgia vs. Murray State; Oklahoma vs. South Dakota etc.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

edited September 7, 2019 11:44PM

Game of the week ....ended at 2:10 AM eastern.....Minnesota 38 Fresno State 35 in double overtime. Antoine Winfield JR made the game saving interception. His dad played in the NFL for 14 years. The Gophers extend their non-conference winning streak to 17 games. Longest streak in FBS.

Unranked USC hammers Stanford.

Wisconsin has outscored their first two opponents 110-0. Jonathan Taylor has 8 touchdowns in two games. Their next game is in Madison against the Wolverines. Both teams have bye weeks.

Gameday next saturday is at Iowa vs Iowa State.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michigan looked awful. They look poorly coached and unprepared. The offense right now is a joke.

Army should've beat Oklahoma last year. Oklahoma won in overtime. Not an easy team to play.

The Cal upset over #14 Washington ended at 4:22 AM eastern. Anyone stay up to watch it?

Army should've beat Oklahoma last year. Oklahoma won in overtime. Not an easy team to play.

The Cal upset over #14 Washington ended at 4:22 AM eastern. Anyone stay up to watch it?

Two things are clear to me:
    1) Ohio State is the best team.
    2) The Big 10 is the best conference.

Make it three things:
    3) Everybody else is playing for second place!

Saturdays Pitt vs Penn State game will be their 100th meeting.

@garnettstyle said:

Will also be the last one for quite a while. It’s a shame they don’t play every year, it’s a big rivalry here in PA. Penn state just doesn’t gain anything from playing them anymore. If they lose, it knocks them out of the playoff picture, if they win, they just win a game they were suppose to.

What I Collect:

@orioles93 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Will also be the last one for quite a while. It’s a shame they don’t play every year, it’s a big rivalry here in PA. Penn state just doesn’t gain anything from playing them anymore. If they lose, it knocks them out of the playoff picture, if they win, they just win a game they were suppose to.

It is a shame because the fans love these rivalry games. Like Michigan vs Notre Dame. Its just so hard to schedule these non-conference rivalry games.

Big games this week:

Clemson vs Syracuse
    Florida vs Kentucky
    Iowa vs Iowa St
    Arizona St vs Mich St
    USC vs BYU
    Stanford vs UCF
    Pitt vs Penn St

What I Collect:

@orioles93 said:
    Big games this week:

Clemson vs Syracuse
    Florida vs Kentucky
    Iowa vs Iowa St
    Arizona St vs Mich St
    USC vs BYU
    Stanford vs UCF
    Pitt vs Penn St

Cant wait.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

It’s in 10iSee.

@2dueces said:

@artee said:
    It’s in 10iSee.

@2dueces said:

Huh?

W.C.Fields
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Big games this week:

Clemson vs Syracuse
    Florida vs Kentucky
    Iowa vs Iowa St
    Arizona St vs Mich St
    USC vs BYU
    Stanford vs UCF
    Pitt vs Penn St

Hopefully some of these will be good games since there aren't any top 25 teams playing each other this week.

@Hallco said:

@orioles93 said:
    Big games this week:

Clemson vs Syracuse
    Florida vs Kentucky
    Iowa vs Iowa St
    Arizona St vs Mich St
    USC vs BYU
    Stanford vs UCF
    Pitt vs Penn St

Hopefully some of these will be good games since there aren't any top 25 teams playing each other this week.

I see Iowa-Iowa St and Florida-Kentucky being the most competitive of the bunch.

What I Collect:

How about those fighting Tennessee Volunteers, back to their winning ways. Destroying Chattanooga. ;)

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 12:13PM

Be careful what you ask for! :'(

The worst pick up line in history?

“You must be from Tennessee because you’re the only 10 I see”

And now you can never unhear it.

@2dueces said:

@artee said:
    It’s in 10iSee.

@2dueces said:

Huh?

Ohio State 51 Indiana 10. A thorough shellacking.

The Citadel got paid $400,000 to beat Georgia Tech. Just keeps getting worse for the ACC.

Georgia opens up as a 14 point favorite against Notre Dame.

Big day in Athens GA today. GO DAWGS!!!!

edited September 21, 2019 11:15AM

Michigan vs Wisconsin. Disappointing game. I thought Michigan would put up a better fight than this. Zzzzzzzzzz. Boring.

Upset alert at Pittsburgh.

@garnettstyle said:
    Upset alert at Pittsburgh.

Pitt pulled it off. Honestly credit to Pitt for scheduling 2 tough out of conference games this year, PSU and UCF. More teams should do this.

What I Collect: