Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 College Football thread

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's starting to get out of hand in Michigan. Ohio State is just a better team, flat out.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 12:20PM

There's just so many good games today, rivalries slugging it out. Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Kentucky vs Louisville, Indiana vs Purdue, it's got to be the best day for matchups across the board.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 12:47PM

Ohio State is just too much for Michigan, although I thought Michigan would put up a better effort especially since they're at home. I'm switching to a different game. I was hoping for a slugfest, but obviously Michigan, you know what, nevermind. Yeah, I know the feeling buddy.

• Options

Man, Georgia Tech is putting up a stinker. I expected a little more fight from them as well.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 1:31PM

Georgia destroys Georgia Tech 45-7

• Options

Clemson slaps South Carolina around 38-7

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 1:53PM

The Ohio State vs Michigan game, I mean what can you say? Ohio State dominated the game, and just flat out beat Michigan. Justin Fields made plays with his feet and arms, and JK Dobbins was unstoppable. Michigan just can't seem to beat Ohio State. Ohio State wins convincingly 56-27. The Number one team in the nation looked rock solid today.

• Options

Who will hold the Paul Bunyan Axe at the end of the day? The Wisconsin vs Minnesota game just started. Minnesota takes the lead 7-0 early. My wife thinks I'm nuts, she just doesn't understand football.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 2:09PM

Indiana beats Purdue 44-41 in overtime to take home the Old Oaken Bucket.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the difference in Ohio State vs. Michigan seemed to be when the Buckeyes stopped playing zone defense and went to man-to-man coverage. at that point it rendered Patterson quite ineffective. it was a frustrating game to watch at first, everyone wondered why the zone-D, but Ohio State led by Fields and Dobbins in pretty tough.

as the season has progressed the OSU resume has only grown and robbed detractors of the "haven't played anyone" mantra. that will continue next week when they probably play Top 10 Minnesota for the Gig 10 Championship.

• Options

My wife thinks I'm nuts. The Apple Cup, the Paul Bunyan Axe, the Old Oaken Bucket. She just thinks I'm nuts.

• Options

Kentucky takes the Governors Cup beating Lousville 45-13.

• Options

Alabama is struggling to keep up with three-loss Auburn as the announcers, especially Gary Danielson, have abandoned any effort to appear unbiased, clearly cheering for Alabama.

right now either Team could win, probably whoever has the ball last. the announcers need to back it off a notch.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 5:12PM

Yes, this Auburn game is a slugfest 48-45 right now. Meanwhile, Wisconsin takes the Paul Bunyan Axe.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 5:29PM

The kick is no good! It's no good! Alabama vs Auburn, great game. Illegal substitution! Illegal substitution! It's over! Hey yo Adrian, I did it! Hey yo Adrian I did it!

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 5:47PM

so Alabama should fall to about 7-8-9 while 3-loss Auburn may sneak into the Top 10 or close to it. Wisconsin beats Minnesota to set up an interesting Big 10 Championship that will showcase perhaps the two best RB's in College Football. among other Top 10 Teams, Georgia/Clemson/Baylor all played well against Teams they should beat, winning easily.

here's what I think it may look like heading into Championship week.

1 Ohio State
    2 LSU
    3 Clemson
    4 Georgia
    5 Utah --- assuming they win.
    6 Oklahoma --- assuming they win.
    7 Baylor
    8 Alabama
    9 Penn State
    10 Auburn

one parting thought, I would not like to be in the Alabama locker room right now. B)

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama lol.

First time Michigan lost at home in 2 years. With that beat down, Ohio State should remain at #1.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 6:10PM

not gonna mince words.........it was fantastic to see Alabama suffer a meltdown at the end of that game and relegate themselves to an afterthought for the remainder of the season. sick and tired of hearing that school's name.

and methinks LSU is slightly motivated after they dropped to #2. immediately after the opening kickoff they took A&M behind the woodshed and started beating the hell out of them

• Options
    edited December 1, 2019 7:10AM

Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State 34-16, and Utah beats Colorado 45-15. Next weekend should be quite interesting indeed.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad that Auburn beat ‘Bama, what a game!

• Options

Yes, Alabama vs Auburn was a thrilling game yesterday. The missed field goal that could have tied it up with about 2:20 to then the penalty against Alabama that gave Auburn the first down, and the win. I bet Nick Saban was upset in the locker room after the game.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Buckeyes look nearly unbeatable. Will be interesting to see how they match up against an SEC/Clemson opponent. Hoping the NCAA selects the 4 best teams which in my opinion are OSU, LSU, Clemson, and Georgia. Oklahoma and Utah are in far weaker conferences.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Buckeyes look nearly unbeatable. Will be interesting to see how they match up against an SEC/Clemson opponent. Hoping the NCAA selects the 4 best teams which in my opinion are OSU, LSU, Clemson, and Georgia. Oklahoma and Utah are in far weaker conferences.

I hope OSU and LSU lock horns. That would be very interesting. OSU does look unstoppable. Justin Fields and JK Dobbins had their way with Michigan . The competition will get tougher for them though.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Assuming LSU beats Georgia in the SEC title game, I don''t see how two-loss Georgia beats out one-loss conference champs. Georgia's hold on #4 has always just been a placeholder; they either lose and drop out of the top 4, or win and move up.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Assuming LSU beats Georgia in the SEC title game, I don''t see how two-loss Georgia beats out one-loss conference champs. Georgia's hold on #4 has always just been a placeholder; they either lose and drop out of the top 4, or win and move up.

Agree, if they lose to LSU they are out, but I still think they are better than Oklahoma and Utah.

• Options

let's be reasonable, either LSU or Georgia will be out come next week which makes deciding the four Teams easy. if we assume Ohio State, Clemson, Utah and Oklahoma win there should only be two scenarios:
    1 --- Ohio State
    2 --- LSU
    3 --- Clemson
    4 --- Utah/Oklahoma

--- or ---

1 --- Ohio State
    2 --- Clemson
    3 --- Georgia
    4 --- Utah/Oklahoma

really the only tough choice will be who "man's up" in their playoff game and I would think that Utah has the easier path, with Oklahoma having to face a very good Baylor. also, I guess being realistic if weird things happen in some of the games but these Teams win it could shuffle the order. I just don't see that happening to Ohio State or Clemson, they should both win handily.

• Options

If Baylor beats Oklahoma, they would have a claim at the top 4 that is at least equal to the claim Oklahoma would have if they beat Baylor. Baylor would have only one loss, to Oklahoma, while Oklahoma's one loss would be to Kansas State and Utah's loss would be to USC. If the quality of the opponent who beat you matters - and it's hard to believe it shouldn't - then Baylor should be playing for the fourth spot.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both LSU and Ohio State will be in even if they lose close games in the Conference Championships. I don't see Clemson losing. That puts OSU, LSU, Clemson, and Georgia in the playoffs. If LSU defeats Georgia put in Utah or Oklahoma. Flip a coin to determine which team.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    If Baylor beats Oklahoma, they would have a claim at the top 4 that is at least equal to the claim Oklahoma would have if they beat Baylor. Baylor would have only one loss, to Oklahoma, while Oklahoma's one loss would be to Kansas State and Utah's loss would be to USC. If the quality of the opponent who beat you matters - and it's hard to believe it shouldn't - then Baylor should be playing for the fourth spot.

If it comes down to Utah and Baylor, I think the committee will choose Utah based on the eye test. Utah has been the more dominant team out of the two.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Computer polls have the Badgers at #5

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

:)

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 7:44PM

@keets said:
    Alabama is struggling to keep up with three-loss Auburn as the announcers, especially Gary Danielson, have abandoned any effort to appear unbiased, clearly cheering for Alabama.

right now either Team could win, probably whoever has the ball last. the announcers need to back it off a notch.

Gary runs his mouth, ha. After the UGA/Aub game Brad was having a Sunday cigar with us up at our bar to watch the Falcons, a bunch of us told him to tell Gary to shut his mouth as he kept talking about the Dawg D not allowing a rushing TD all season...and then Auburn got one. He can put a curse on a team for sure.....so I hope he roots for LSU on Saturday, ha!

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    If it comes down to Utah and Baylor, I think the committee will choose Utah based on the eye test. Utah has been the more dominant team out of the two.

Fair enough, but what you're saying is that Utah has been more dominant so far. Utah and Baylor have both been "dominant", to the degree they've been dominant, over underwhelming opponents. If Baylor beats Oklahoma, that changes everything, as I see it. That's a huge "if", and I don't expect that Baylor will do it, but if they do, I'd pick them over Utah.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@coolstanley said:

Fair enough, but what you're saying is that Utah has been more dominant so far. Utah and Baylor have both been "dominant", to the degree they've been dominant, over underwhelming opponents. If Baylor beats Oklahoma, that changes everything, as I see it. That's a huge "if", and I don't expect that Baylor will do it, but if they do, I'd pick them over Utah.

Baylor has had too many close games. And their non-conference was a joke. That will hurt them.

Stephen Austin
    UTSA
    Rice

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Baylor has had too many close games. And their non-conference was a joke. That will hurt them.

Stephen Austin
    UTSA
    Rice

I'll grant you that none of these schools inspire the same fear that South Dakota must have put in Oklahoma's heart, but virtually every team has a joke of a non-conference schedule, including Oklahoma and Utah.

IF Baylor beats Oklahoma, they will have both beaten beaten better overall teams than Oklahoma and Utah, and lost to a better team(s) than either Oklahoma or Utah. I don't think they will get the 4 spot even if they do beat Oklahoma, I'm just pointing out why they should.

• Options

I think Utah will be a winner, Oklahoma vs. Baylor is a toss-up and my upset pick is Georgia over LSU. my only hope in the final rankings is that the loser in the SEC doesn't end up in the top four, no matter who it is. in the end it will be better for NCAA Football if we have 4 of 5 Conferences represented.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Utah just does not fit within the template of a traditional D-1 football power that would be acceptable to the powers that be to receive a seat at the playoff table.

Regardless of how good Utah may be (like Boise State and UCF teams of recent vintage), Utah is fighting an uphill battle against the prevailing wisdom.

• Options

I can't wait for championship Saturday. It will be very interesting to see how things unfold regarding the college football playoff. I see OSU, Clemson, LSU, and probably Oklahoma if they beat Baylor, but you never know what kind of craziness will happen.

• Options

I think I can hear them cheering in Texas and Oklahoma!! :p

• Options

exit PAC 12, stage left.

as if they needed more to play for, the door has now swung wide open for Oklahoma and Baylor. it seems like there might be a lot of points scored in this game, something like the Iron Bowl total.

• Options

@keets said:
    let's be reasonable, either LSU or Georgia will be out come next week which makes deciding the four Teams easy. if we assume Ohio State, Clemson, Utah and Oklahoma win there should only be two scenarios:
    1 --- Ohio State
    2 --- LSU
    3 --- Clemson
    4 --- Utah/Oklahoma

--- or ---

1 --- Ohio State
    2 --- Clemson
    3 --- Georgia
    4 --- Utah/Oklahoma

Not so sure I agree, if Georgia beats LSU, Big 12 could be out no matter who wins. Georgia has some injuries and suspensions coming in today, so could hurt. We saw what happened in the PAC 12 and I’m not surprised. Either the NCAA decides it wants the best teams or conference champions/representatives. The SEC is by FAR the best conference in the country and hope the committee truly selects the best teams to play.

• Options
    edited December 7, 2019 6:23AM

The SEC is by FAR the best conference

that is a debatable assertion worth its own thread, but it has been debunked in recent years after all the Bowl Games are done. two points about the post, the SEC may not be the best conference and even if they are it certainly isn't by far. the Top 4, Top 10 and Top 25 tend to bear that out.

I understand your bias towards the SEC and will assume you'd be OK if the Top 4 were LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama, but there are Teams and Conference representatives which are better than those Teams. I tend to trust people who are more knowledgeable on the subject than the two of us and they have weighed in on things, their verdict dismissing your opinion.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe LSU and OSU will both be in even if they lose close games. Their body of work for the entire year is overwhelming.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Championship Saturday is always bittersweet for me. It is always fun to watch what happens, but it is also sad, because it's the last day of the regular season. I think it will look like this when all is said and done - OSU, LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma. I'm curious to see if Baylor gets revenge against Oklahoma for that embarrassing comeback win they allowed against the Sooners, but I think Oklahoma will pull it off.

• Options

Oklahoma and Baylor are about to lock horns. Somebody please open a window, it's getting hot in here.

• Options

Oklahoma is coming out swinging.

• Options

Touchdown Baylor!

• Options

I understand your bias towards the SEC and will assume you'd be OK if the Top 4 were LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama, but there are Teams and Conference representatives which are better than those Teams. I tend to trust people who are more knowledgeable on the subject than the two of us and they have weighed in on things, their verdict dismissing your opinion.

I honestly have no bias toward the SEC, have no favorite college football team. Just have witnessed the PAC 10 and Big 12 teams not compete as well in the college football playoff. I think many of those on the selection committee would rather select teams from multiple conferences than the best 4 teams. From watching in 2019, I believe the 5 best teams are OSU, LSU, Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama. If the Oklahoma/Baylor winner gets in, they can prove me wrong.

• Options

Oklahoma vs Baylor, all tied up at 13 right now. I'm knocking back 3 chili dogs right now.