Options

2019 College Football thread

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

@garnettstyle said:
    Upset alert at Pittsburgh.

Pitt pulled it off. Honestly credit to Pitt for scheduling 2 tough out of conference games this year, PSU and UCF. More teams should do this.

Indeed. I stated in another forum that the UFC game could be a sneaky good game, because Pitt gave Penn State all they could handle. First regular season loss for UFC in nearly three years.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Georgia looking flat against the Irish.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

This UCLA-Wash St game is crazy

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@orioles93 said:
    This UCLA-Wash St game is crazy

UCLA averaged 14 pts a game before last night :D

• Options

Mack Brown just cost the Tar Heels a possible upset win over Clemson. He chose to go for 2 when his team played so great and couldve tied it at 21-21 with a minute left to play. What a bonehead.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable game Clemson vs UNC. I'm still frozen with shock.

• Options

Fun weekend for college football.
    -Clemson squeaks by UNC after a questionable 2 point conversion call.
    -Alabama scores a ton on Ole Miss but they also give up 31.
    -Ohio State blows out Nebraska on the road.
    -Oklahoma and Hurts have another big day.
    -Wisconsin wins big and continues to look like the team to beat in the Big Ten West.
    -Michigan has a pulse.
    -Penn State blows out Maryland and looks like maybe the only team in the Big Ten East to challenge OSU.

What I Collect:

• Options

• Options

• Options

Who's going to win the SEC this year, the east or west? Florida and Georgia looking strong for the east.

• Options

My current top 10.

Ohio State
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Wisconsin
    LSU
    Georgia
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Penn State
    Boise State

• Options

Jonathan Taylor looked great yesterday. It will be interesting to to see who wins the Heisman this season.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Jonathan Taylor looked great yesterday. It will be interesting to to see who wins the Heisman this season.

His stats look even better when you realize they’ve taken him out of the game most games in the 3rd quarter.

What I Collect:

• Options

• Options
    edited October 9, 2019 4:24AM

• Options
    edited October 12, 2019 8:27AM

Looking forward to watching Texas vs Oklahoma today. I'm just hoping for a good game. A nice, close, slugfest. I'm also going to enjoy watching Florida and LSU mix it up tonight.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

and now we await the result of Georgia losing to an unranked Team __AT HOME__ to see if the criticism about that happening to an SEC Team is as sharp as it would be for OSU or another BCS Team.

20-17 to South Carolina at home in double OT is really unforgivable.

• Options

@keets said:
    and now we await the result of Georgia losing to an unranked Team __AT HOME__ to see if the criticism about that happening to an SEC Team is as sharp as it would be for OSU or another BCS Team.

Knowing how they favor the SEC they will probably drop to like 8

What I Collect:

• Options

@orioles93 said:

@keets said:

Knowing how they favor the SEC they will probably drop to like 8

Georgia losing to a bad team doesn't help Notre Dame any.

• Options

• Options

Yep, Georgia definately laid a big, fat, juicy, egg today.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I heard they are cancelling the rest of the season. Ohio State is your 2019 National Champion! Congrats to Buc> @keets said:

It seems you are trying to compare the UGA loss to Ohio State the last couple years but the difference, to this partially educated sports fan, is that Ohio State lost to horrible teams by 30 or so. Slightly different. No excuse for losing, and I am not saying they shouldn't drop a lot, but slightly different than Ohio State totally no-showing to their humiliating losses the last couple years. Apples and oranges as they say. #purdue

• Options

like when they lost to that crappy Oklahoma Team. or when they lost to that crappy Penn state Team. a loss is a loss. when you're ranked high, the punishment should be equal, which for Georgia right now, they way they have looked this year means a trip to 8-9-10 while some of the other crappy, non-SEC Teams are allowed their chance to show us how bad they are.

it needs to be about the actual Team and not what Conference they are playing in, that's all I mean to say. remember, this was at home to an un-ranked, crappy Team.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:
    I heard they are cancelling the rest of the season. Ohio State is your 2019 National Champion! Congrats to Buc> @keets said:

It seems you are trying to compare the UGA loss to Ohio State the last couple years but the difference, to this partially educated sports fan, is that Ohio State lost to horrible teams by 30 or so. Slightly different. No excuse for losing, and I am not saying they shouldn't drop a lot, but slightly different than Ohio State totally no-showing to their humiliating losses the last couple years. Apples and oranges as they say. #purdue

Yep, apples and Oranges. Georgia got beat at home.

• Options

Georgia and Florida should both drop below Penn St, Wisconsin, LSU, Notre Dame and Oklahoma. The new top 10 should be:

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio St
    4. LSU
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Penn St
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Georgia
    10. Florida
    What I Collect:

• Options

Minnesota is looking very good as well. Rodney Smith and Rashod Bateman are both extremely good players on offense for them. They should take care of Rutgers and Illinois the next 2 weeks and should be 8-0 going into their home game against PSU.

What I Collect:

• Options

@orioles93 said:
    Georgia and Florida should both drop below Penn St, Wisconsin, LSU, Notre Dame and Oklahoma. The new top 10 should be:

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio St
    4. LSU
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Penn St
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Georgia
    10. Florida

I got Baylor and Boise in my top ten.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@orioles93 said:

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio St
    4. LSU
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Penn St
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Georgia
    10. Florida

I got Baylor and Boise in my top ten.

I thought of putting Oregon in as well. I could see notre dame and Florida dropping further

What I Collect:

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

"20-17 to South Carolina at home in double OT is really unforgivable"

Agree 100% and we are UGA fans. They were awful. They don't deserve to be in the top 10 at this point. "IF" they win out(which I personally do not think will happen), they will get destroyed in the SEC Championship by Ala or LSU.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun to see Minnesota "Golden Gophers" beat Nebraska easily. They used to regularly obliterate the Gophers.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Coaches poll top 25 released. Clemson only ACC team ranked. BIG leads the pack with six teams ranked. Four BIG teams are still undefeated.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-lsu-up-to-no-3-big-ten-makes-big-move-in-college-football-rankings/

• Options

these new results are sort of surprising to me.

Georgia was punished as they should have been for losing at home to an unranked Team but the "SEC bias" held serve as LSU was rewarded to balance things out. just amazing to me. I watched most of the LSU game, I think it was tied at 28 when I had to leave the house and they were either trailing Florida or trying to stay even most of the game. to top that, how does Florida then drop behind Notre Dame??

it also seems inconceivable to me that idle Ohio State and ACC Clemson(who won convincingly, albeit vs. an unranked Team) would lose ground to LSU. such is the way it is with popularity opinion polls.

perhaps it is time to begin the 2019 version of the discussion for an expanded playoff.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a horrible week to be a Georgia/Atlanta fan.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Had a funny moment at the gym the other morning. A guy had on U of Minnesota shorts and shirt on. Looked brand new! Just kidding about the brand new part. You don't see a lot of Minnesota gear out here in Cali.

Oh ya, speaking of breaking out their fan clothes my gosh they are a lot of old and wrinkled 49ers gear being worn about town. That band wagon is getting filled up quick!

• Options

Gameday in Happy valley.

• Options

Wisconsin put up a stinker at Illinois. Wow.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2019 5:32AM

Wisconsin laid an egg and LSU struggled a little early before they got revved up.
    Ohio State, Clemson and Oklahoma all seemed to win easily.
    Florida and Georgia both won and I think Notre Dame was idle.
    Penn State holds on to win.

meanwhile, Alabama ended up winning but looking a little vulnerable on defense. they allowed two FG's from inside the red-zone, a TD and got a huge break with the fumble at the goal-line and subsequent TD --- all against an unranked Team. to my way of thinking that isn't the mark of the top Team so maybe they fall back, swapping the top spot to Clemson.

one thing is certain, two of the current top four meet in few weeks and both cannot win.

it looks like the only other possible change would be Ohio State and LSU swapping no's 3-4, Oklahoma staying at 5, Wisconsin dropping to who knows where and everyone else moving up a spot. heading into November is always exciting because there seems to be at least one surprise upset each week.

to be honest, as a Buckeye fan I always get nervous around now when things seem to be going so good. :#

• Options

Buckeyes dominating computer rankings.

1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. Clemson
    5. Penn State

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 3:42PM

Sad that no one could acknowledge what a great game Illinois played against Wisconsin. This was the game when the big plays paid dividends beyond what could be contemplated. How was it even remotely possible that the Badgers could lose even with three turnovers whille controlling the ball for nearly 41 minutes... This was a miracle of biblical porportions but falls short of the Illinois upset of Minnesota in 1916. It may rival the upset of Michigan in Ann Arbor in 1999. And for those of you that are unable to recall this game, please allow me to refresh your memory.

Illinois was trailing 27-7 midway through the third quarter. And Kurt Kittner was the Illinois quarterback that has been forgotten by most, but engineered one of the greatest comebacks in Big Ten history. Illinois played a fourth quarter that will likely never be matched again at the Big House. Illinois went on to score 4 touchdowns to win 35--29. And if you think I am making this up as I write... Ask the Michigan quarterback that was there... His name is Tom Brady. Perhaps this game was a character builder.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

And for the record... Minnesota pounded Nebraska and still controls the rivalry in spite of the losses starting in the mid 1960s and extending to the time Nebraska joined the Big Ten. Minnesota football was dominant in the first half of the twentieth century.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I don't understand what's happened to Wisconsin. A garbage performance 1st half vs Ohio State. Let the yodeling begin...la da doody doh, la da doody doh....

• Options

Kansas State is trying to pull off the upset vs Oklahoma. Oh snap, crackle, pop.

• Options

Touchdown Kansas State!

• Options

Another touchdown Kansas State!

• Options

Oklahoma is making a comeback. We got ourselves a good ol' fashioned fist fight!

• Options

dominance by Ohio State, since the first Poll comes out this week it should be enough to drop them back to at least No. 5. :p

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohio State gave up a touchdown. Voters realize that is poor defense. Buckeyes will barely crack the top ten.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited October 26, 2019 12:33PM

48-41 Kansas State. 1:45 to go. Ohio State looked solid today, they are definitely the real deal.

• Options

Oklahoma just did an onside kick.

• Options

Kansas State upsets Oklahoma!

Kansas State-48
    Oklahoma-41