Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 College Football thread

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 1:10PM

Well, Oklahoma is beating Baylor 23-20 right now. Great game.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Exciting game going right down to the wire!

• Options

@Hallco said:

@doubledragon said:

Exciting game going right down to the wire!

Yes, it definitely lived up to the hype. That freshman Baylor quarterback has quite an arm. Here we go!

• Options

Oklahoma vs Baylor is going into overtime. What a game.

• Options

Oklahoma wins! 30-23 Great game.

• Options

Games like this are what keep me coming back to CFB every year! :)

• Options

@Hallco said:
    Games like this are what keep me coming back to CFB every year! :)

I Totally agree. It was a slugfest. Very entertaining game.

• Options

Up next, Georgia vs LSU. Lets get it on!

• Options

That first LSU drive was impressive. The Georgia Bulldogs are in for a rough night.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 3:56PM

From watching in 2019, I believe the 5 best teams are OSU, LSU, Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama

I will say this, Alabama has problems and in the two games I watched they didn't impress me. sure, they can score a lot of points but they tend to give up more!!

right now, watching the SEC Championship tells me two things: LSU is pretty good and tends to run an NFL style passing game without much on the ground --- and --- Georgia isn't a very good Team, they haven't done much right on either Offense or Defense and look like they'll probably be overwhelmed, destined to join Alabama at the bottom of the Top 10. how do Teams like Utah and Georgia play for their Conference Championship and a shot at the playoff and not show up??

the truth of the Conference strengths relative to each other will be told when all the Bowl games are over. garnettstyle usually keeps track, I hope he does that again this year.

• Options

Georgia has to put points on the board if they want to upset LSU. Scoring three points in the first half. Nope, that just ain't gonna do it.

• Options

If Georgia isn't going to show up tonight, I'll just take my business elsewhere. I am now watching the Memphis vs Cincinnatti game. At least BOTH teams showed up!

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

the truth of the Conference strengths relative to each other will be told when all the Bowl games are over. garnettstyle usually keeps track, I hope he does that again this year.

I used to think the Bowl games were a good indicator of conference strength, now some of the best players are skipping the game, unless it’s a 4 Team Playoff game because of potential injury and hurting their “draft stock” for the NFL.

Curious who your final four best teams are? Looks like my Georgia call was not so good 😩

• Options
    edited December 7, 2019 6:15PM

As a Georgia fan I am obviously disappointed, but that performance was just pathetic. They have not been right most of the year and I was very vocal about disagreeing with the number 4 ranking after the disgraceful loss to SC. They don't deserve to go to a New Years Day Bowl and depending on who they match up with in whatever bowl, i would not be surprised if they lose that game as well. Ohio St v Wisconsin has potential to be ok on paper but I don't expect an upset. Would you rather see LSU or Ohio State play OU? We'll see!

• Options

I think the game everyone would like to see is Ohio State vs LSU. Clearly the two best teams this season in college football. Anything can happen in the playoff though. The playoff will be: OSU, Clemson, LSU, and Oklahoma in my opinion.

• Options
    edited December 7, 2019 6:41PM

@doubledragon said:
    I think the game everyone would like to see is Ohio State vs LSU. Clearly the two best teams this season in college football. Anything can happen in the playoff though. The playoff will be: OSU, Clemson, LSU, and Oklahoma in my opinion.

I disagree about your playoff selections. Nothing is set in stone yet, let the games play out.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Clemson could be tough, hard to tell though, weak schedule

• Options

Wow, Badgers playing well. May put LSU in the #1 slot.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of 1975.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if Ohio States wins, the problems they are having in this Wisconsin game could put LSU in the top spot. They might need to come way back and blow Wisconsin out in the second half.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2019 10:01PM

that was an interesting game, reminiscent of last week against Michigan and almost like two different games. whatever it is that Ryan Day and the coaching staff tells the Team at halftime seems to be effective. on defense they completely shut Wisconsin down and on offense seemed to be able to move the ball at will. the mistakes made in the first half puzzled me since I kept wondering why the Buckeyes weren't using JK Dobbins more. two things: why run him to the left when most success was to the right and why try to pass inside the five yard line??

with a horse like him, put the saddle on and ride him all day!!! B)

so what started looking like Ohio State would join Utah and Georgia in the ranks of Teams who phoned it in for the Championship ended almost like a normal game. the biggest lapse was right before the half and the Bucks left the field for the locker room sort of dejected, but then came the Day Show Inspiration, changes and a victory.

so what happens at Noon tomorrow?? I think it might depend on who the committee liked more, LSU or Ohio State.
    1). Ohio State or LSU.
    2). Ohio State or LSU.
    3). Clemson.
    4). Oklahoma.

whatever the order I think if these four Teams play that there will be two pretty entertaining games to watch and a whopper of a Final!! :p

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

I understand your bias towards the SEC and will assume you'd be OK if the Top 4 were LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama, but there are Teams and Conference representatives which are better than those Teams. I tend to trust people who are more knowledgeable on the subject than the two of us and they have weighed in on things, their verdict dismissing your opinion.

I honestly have no bias toward the SEC, have no favorite college football team. Just have witnessed the PAC 10 and Big 12 teams not compete as well in the college football playoff. I think many of those on the selection committee would rather select teams from multiple conferences than the best 4 teams. From watching in 2019, I believe the 5 best teams are OSU, LSU, Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama. If the Oklahoma/Baylor winner gets in, they can prove me wrong.

Alabama is not even ranked in the top 10. And Georgia has not been a dominant team all year. BIG i believe is just as good as the sec. Look what Michigan did to Notre Dame, while Georgia struggled against them.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 7, 2019 11:22PM

Buckeyes outscored Wiscy 27-0 in the 2nd half, and they beat them in October by 31 points.

It’s the second time in 80 years a team has beaten a top 10 AP team three consecutive weeks.

Ohio State deserves the #1 spot.

Not to mention, LSU played a FCS team.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Its too bad the PAC 12 champions have 2 losses because they scheduled Auburn and should've won that game. I think they would beat the Sooners on a neutral field. We never really get the four best teams do we??

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 8, 2019 7:03AM

Well, this fan certainly enjoyed championship Saturday. It should be a very entertaining playoff. That Memphis game came right down to the wire. Great game. The day ended pretty much how I imagined. It will be OSU, Clemson, LSU, and Oklahoma. Now the wait begins...

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dawgs brought the stink, and I honestly expected it. Fromm has been slow to start in a good 5 games this year and I was worried about that. We needed to score first..or just score period. LSU will be tough for the playoffs for sure.

• Options

From watching in 2019, I believe the 5 best teams are OSU, LSU, Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama.

Alabama is not even ranked in the top 10. And Georgia has not been a dominant team all year. BIG i believe is just as good as the sec. Look what Michigan did to Notre Dame, while Georgia struggled against them.

Yes, Alabama is not in the top 10 Rankings (2 losses), but I still believe they are one of the best teams. Put them on a neutral field against Oklahoma, Baylor, Utah, Oregon, Michigan, or Wisconsin and they will be favored by a touchdown or more.

• Options

Put them on a neutral field against Oklahoma, Baylor, Utah, Oregon, Michigan, or Wisconsin and they will be favored by a touchdown or more.

I can't say what the spot will be, but you will get your wish in a few weeks when Alabama plays someone in a Bowl Game

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

This weekend all went well. I never thought Utah was better than Oregon. I was with the bookmakers in favoring Okla over Baylor, and Oklahoma looked the much better team watching the game. Georgia just didn't have it against LSU. I fell asleep at the Ohio State halftime, but I didn't think there was a 1/20 chance that Wisc would win.

The best thing: all the top 8 teams played. The 4 winners are going to the CFB playoffs. No team has any complaint. Don't talk to me about the Pac 12, the crowd wouldn't have filled a Texas high school stadium.

One comment, Alabama is as good as any of them. They were coming back strong in the second half against LSU and missed that field goal at 6 min remaining vs Auburn to tie the game.

One more comment, notice how Nebraska and Missouri have disappeared in the Big 10. They are like Rutgers and Maryland football now. Both bit off their noses to spite their face, jealous of Texas.

• Options

Alabama gave up 46 points in their own backyard. They are not a top 5 team people. They are beat up with a ton of injuries. Michigan would boat race Bama if they played in the big house.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Alabama gave up 46 points in their own backyard. They are not a top 5 team people. They are beat up with a ton of injuries. Michigan would boat race Bama if they played in the big house.

Michigan gave up 56, 10 more than Alabama in their own backyard. Would love to see them meet in a bowl game on a neutral field - Bama by 20.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'll see.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 8, 2019 9:01PM

in case you didn't notice, Alabama was not extended an invitation to any of the big Bowl Games. they have a decent Team, just not top-tier this year which is nothing to be ashamed of. Alabama under Nick Saban has had a good run but all things come to an end. I feel confident he will right the ship, but they aren't really that good this year compared to the elite Teams in the NCAA.

I say it half jokingly, but perhaps 'bama can get an invite to the Toilet Bowl against a Team like 8-4 #22 USC. that's about the best they should expect.

to LSU vs. Oklahoma, I think the Sooners will surprise some people and it is a fact that the #1 seed hasn't won the Playoff yet.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@coolstanley said:

Michigan gave up 56, 10 more than Alabama in their own backyard. Would love to see them meet in a bowl game on a neutral field - Bama by 20.

Michigan boat raced ND. A team Georgia struggled against.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Michigan boat raced ND. A team Georgia struggled against.

True, I hope players don’t sit out the Bowl games for fear of injury in all games. It is happening more and more unless it involves the college playoff games.

• Options

Best record in AP top 10 matchups since 2012.

Ohio State 15-4 .789
    Alabama 20-6 .769
    Michigan State 6-2 .750
    Clemson 9-5 .643

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Jan 1: Michigan vs Alabama (-7) I am inclined to lay the 7.

• Options

This is why sec teams are always overrated in the polls. Look at the top 8. No sec bias there Nick :D

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Nick-Saban-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-football-final-coaches-poll-ballot-voted-140164866/

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    This is why sec teams are always overrated in the polls. Look at the top 8. No sec bias there Nick :D

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Nick-Saban-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-football-final-coaches-poll-ballot-voted-140164866/

Thanks for sharing, he is definitely biased in his opinion. Interesting to see others rankings.

• Options

Nick Saban is a very good Coach and Alabama is a very good Team. everything else aside, a large part of their problems this year falls on Saban's shoulders as the usually well-disciplined Crimson Tide was everything but at some times. that always points to the Coach.

12 men on the field at the most crucial time of maybe the biggest game?? seeing Saban throwing a hissy-fit after that made me think that someone should have been putting a foot up Saban's ass.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2019 6:50AM

Illegal substitution, twelve men on the field, defense, five yard penalty, automatic first down.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2019 4:56AM

@keets said:
    Nick Saban is a very good Coach and Alabama is a very good Team. everything else aside, a large part of their problems this year falls on Saban's shoulders as the usually well-disciplined Crimson Tide was everything but at some times. that always points to the Coach.

12 men on the field at the most crucial time of maybe the biggest game?? seeing Saban throwing a hissy-fit after that made me think that someone should have been putting a foot up Saban's ass.

Agree - he is a great recruiter and has potentially (8) 1st round selections on his roster according to some Draft gurus. He should be in college playoff nearly every year considering he has 3rd string talent better than most schools top players. Unfortunately I think many of his players will sit out their bowl game due to potential injury.

• Options

sit out their bowl game due to potential injury

while I understand this thinking I cannot support it.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@s4ny said:

Same here.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@s4ny said:

I agree.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    sit out their bowl game due to potential injury

while I understand this thinking I cannot support it.

Would love to see all the players sit out all the bowl games. No pay no play.

The threads here would be magical and better than any gridiron action.

• Options

Pretty amazing that Ohio State has two heisman finalists and a former Buckeye to boot. Not too shabby.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Army vs Navy today. After that, I guess I will vacuum. What else is there to do?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Army vs Navy today. After that, I guess I will vacuum. What else is there to do?

have you already gotten all of my Christmas presents?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

have you already gotten all of my Christmas presents?

The only thing on my Christmas list today is beer, Doritos (cool ranch) and sports. ;)