Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 College Football thread

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:
    My home smells like Football, booze, and burnt chili. One Heck of a day.

what was the beer du jour at casa de DD?

Actually, today I went with Corona. I've been watching too many of those Tony Romo commercials on Sundays.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

what did we learn from that game about Alabama and LSU?? I learned that --- both Teams are pretty good, neither Team is dominant, they both make mistakes as frequently as everyone else and they both have areas that can be exploited.

unless something unforeseen happens:
    1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Clemson
    4. Georgia
    5. Alabama
    6. Oregon
    7. Florida
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Baylor
    10. Minnesota

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Alabama looked like the bad news bears in the first half. They are not a great team.

Bama goes down to a third string Ohio State QB for the second time :D

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Illinois has largest comeback in school history. Down 28-3, they beat Michigan State in a last second TD.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the Minnesota win is huge, this 9-0 start being the greatest start since 1904 is just out of context. In the 1930s and early 1940s, they only played an 8 game schedule. During the this time, Minnesota had unbeaten seasons and were recognized as National champions in 1934, 1936, 1940 and 1941.

But what a day in the Big Ten... a huge congrats to Minnesota. And I am stunned into silence with what transpired in the fourth quarter in East Lansing. Congrats to Illinois and Lovie Smith. Scoring 27 points in the fourth quarter...

The Purdue -Northwestern game went down to the wire... I missed the Iowa Wisconsin game but that had to have some fourth quarter dramatics.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    what did we learn from that game about Alabama and LSU?? I learned that --- both Teams are pretty good, neither Team is dominant, they both make mistakes as frequently as everyone else and they both have areas that can be exploited.

1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Clemson
    4. Georgia
    5. Alabama
    6. Oregon
    7. Florida
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Baylor
    10. Minnesota

Something did happen, Minnesota should be in the top 4.

• Options

I still have Penn State in the 10.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    While the Minnesota win is huge, this 9-0 start being the greatest start since 1904 is just out of context. In the 1930s and early 1940s, they only played an 8 game schedule. During the this time, Minnesota had unbeaten seasons and were recognized as National champions in 1934, 1936, 1940 and 1941.

Don't forget 1960 and should have been in 1961 with a win in the Rose Bowl over UCLA.

Great win for Minnesota today.

Don't think they will/should be in the top 4. Top 10 would be fair.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Maybe not 1961

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Murray Warmath was a terrific coach. Thanks for taking the Minnesota program further in time than I did.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

This game worries me a little bit. I hope that Franklin can keep himself and the team focused on this game, and not look past to Ohio State even though it's two games away.

Penn State has lost games such as this in the Franklin era, but this is a new season and hopefully Franklin has learned from those past mistakes.

I knew it - Damn coach James Franklin still can't win games such as this. 😒

Franklin has done a nice job for Penn State. But sadly some coaches never rise to the top, and Franklin may turn out to be one of them.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually watched Alabama vs LSU, it was the first College Football game I’ve watched in a long time. Tell ya the truth I loved it 👍

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see ALL Conference Champs in the playoffs. If an undefeated Minnesota squeaks past an undefeated Ohio State they will still not get in. In fact Ohio State would stand a better chance of getting in which to me does not seem fair.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I would like to see ALL Conference Champs in the playoffs. If an undefeated Minnesota squeaks past an undefeated Ohio State they will still not get in. In fact Ohio State would stand a better chance of getting in which to me does not seem fair.

If Minnesota goes Undefeated they will be in.

Good news for college football is that Bama will not be in the playoffs.

• Options

• Options

not sure if an undefeated Minnesota will be "in" or not, but they certainly have to be moved up in the Polls and given an opportunity to be considered. right now they are ranked below six 2-3 loss Teams , including two in their own Conference. that's just wrong. if they play for the Big 10 Championship I believe that will be the deciding factor, even when/if they lose.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Clemson
    4. Georgia
    5. Alabama
    6. Oregon
    7. Florida
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Baylor
    10. Minnesota

I don't think Alabama falls below Georgia(and I'm a Dawg fan). South Carolina losing to App St. is going to crush them in the big picture.

• Options

You have to give LSU credit for going into Alabama's own house, and grinding out that win yesterday. There were moments when I couldn't even watch what was going to happen next. LSU was up by 3 scores at one point, and then Alabama came back on them. I just couldn't even watch near the end. At one point, my wife found me in a closet, in the fetal position. It was an intense game.

• Options

@keets said:
    not sure if an undefeated Minnesota will be "in" or not, but they certainly have to be moved up in the Polls and given an opportunity to be considered. right now they are ranked below six 2-3 loss Teams , including two in their own Conference. that's just wrong. if they play for the Big 10 Championship I believe that will be the deciding factor, even when/if they lose.

IF Minnesota can beat both Iowa and Wisconsin (assuming both of those teams don't lose other games) I'll be very interested in seeing what happens.

They looked very good early and very lucky late against Penn State.

• Options

here's the AP:

1 LSU (9-0)
    2 Ohio State (9-0)
    3 Clemson (10-0)
    4 Alabama (8-1)
    5 Georgia (8-1)
    6 Oregon (8-1)
    7 Minnesota (9-0)
    8 Utah (8-1)
    9 Penn State (8-1)
    10 Oklahoma (8-1)

I personally think Penn State should be replaced by Baylor and wouldn't have thought Minnesota could go all the way to no. 7, but then this is the AP so anything is possible. also, after seeing how unable to stop each other Alabama and LSU both seemed to be, I don't think they should benefit because of where each other was ranked. as I said, this is the AP. :) Clemson and Georgia should both be ahead of Alabama.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2019 10:37PM

Bama giving up 46 points is not a top 4 team. They have no top 25 wins.

They are ranked #6 in the computer polls. Ohio State is still #1.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

• Options

I feel the same way as you can see by my ranking. Alabama has a very good Team but LSU gave everyone the blueprint to beat them, they have holes in their defense. Nick Saban would not be my choice of men up at the front of meetings, he will be in a "corrective mood" this week and I would expect the Tide to be in a foul mood next week against Miss. State.

maybe the worst aspect of the loss is that it was at home.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I feel the same way as you can see by my ranking. Alabama has a very good Team but LSU gave everyone the blueprint to beat them, they have holes in their defense. Nick Saban would not be my choice of men up at the front of meetings, he will be in a "corrective mood" this week and I would expect the Tide to be in a foul mood next week against Miss. State.

maybe the worst aspect of the loss is that it was at home.

IF you were picking between Alabama and UGA who would you pick? As of today with what you know year to date. If they played head to head.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the 1 loss teams other than Alabama, Penn St has the "best" loss against undefeated Minn on the road. Oregon lost to auburn at a neutral site, Utah lost to USC and Oklahoma lost to Kansas St. PSU also has better wins on their resume than all 4 teams including Alabama, as they beat Iowa on the road at night, Michigan at home and Mich St on the road. They also beat Pitt who is having a decent season and has a really good defense. PSU should not drop below Oregon, Utah or Oklahoma.

I think the top 10 should be:
    1. LSU
    2. OSU
    3. Clemson
    4. Minnesota
    5. Georgia
    6. Alabama
    7. Penn St
    8. Oregon
    9. Utah
    10. Oklahoma

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

UGA didn't look good enough to me, as an alum, to warrant being ranked above Bama this week. Despite a 3rd shutout for the season...we needed 35pts minimum there, and Fromm is still not instilling full-game confidence to me.

• Options

IF you were picking between Alabama and UGA who would you pick?

Georgia., mainly because of the 'bama defense.

• Options

Man, I wish football season was year round. What am I going to do during the off season? Oh, the misery. The thought scares me. My two biggest fears in this world are:

1.) The Football offseason

2.) Ventriloquist dolls that come to life.

• Options

not a whole lot different than what I had expected, the Oklahoma/Baylor question will be settled this weekend. it will take losses by the Top 4 for Alabama to get in, I can't see them moving ahead of even Georgia as long as the Bulldogs win.

1 LSU (9-0)
    2 Ohio State (9-0)
    3 Clemson (10-0)
    4 Georgia (8-1)
    5 Alabama (8-1)
    6 Oregon (8-1)
    7 Utah (8-1)
    8 Minnesota (9-0)
    9 Penn State (8-1)
    10 Oklahoma (8-1)

• Options

The one thing that hasn't changed with the committee is their sec homerism.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2019 5:21PM

@garnettstyle said:
    The one thing that hasn't changed with the committee is their sec homerism.

For sure. Lessee...which team should drop farther?

1) Undefeated team on the road that loses by 5 to another undefeated team but has two wins over teams currently ranked in the top 25
    2) Undefeated team at home that loses by 5 to another undefeated but has no wins over any currently ranked teams?

If you guessed #2, you are ready for a place on the CFP committee!

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penn state has a better resume than Georgia, Alabama, Utah, or Oregon.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

Looking forward to college football tomorrow. I think I'll go with beer and popcorn tomorrow. I like to have just the right amount of butter on the remote buttons, the channels seem to change so much smoother that way.

• Options

I'm very disappointed in my local Wal-Mart neighborhood market. I went to pick up our Thanksgiving feast this morning, and they don't carry cornbread dressing at this location. I got everything except the cornbread dressing. My wife has to have it. I suggested we substitute curly fries for the dressing. Nope. No dice. So I'll keep trying. If I have to order cornbread dressing online, then fine, but today I'm watching some college football.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2019 11:53AM

Tua went down hard in the Miss. State game. Meanwhile, Michigan leads Michigan State 17-7 at the half. I'm looking forward to seeing if Minnesota can beat Iowa later to make it to a 10-0 record.

• Options

I like a little flavor with my posts, so Captain Kirk is Michigan, and Spock is Michigan State.

• Options

Field goal Michigan!

• Options

What are you looking at mac? Haven't you ever seen a turkey relaxing in a cup of coffee? Yeah, I know Michigan spanked Michigan State.

• Options

Just sitting here watching Minnesota try to get to 10-0. It should be a good game. Let's Go fightin' Joe Banzai's!

• Options

Oh no. Touchdown Iowa. Nooooooooooooo!

• Options

OSU is romping on Rutgers as they should, can't figure out why all the Heisman talk is Joe Burrows. Justin Fields has to be considered.

local product Luke Farrell just caught a TD. yahoo, Perry, Ohio!!

meanwhile, Minnesota is getting ambushed by Iowa as it appears the ranks of the unbeatens may shrink by one.

• Options

Minnesota is in serious trouble. They just can't get anything going, Iowa came to play.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2019 5:16PM

Auburn has come back from 21 down, and are driving to try to tie it. Good game.

• Options

Auburn just blew it. Bad throw on 4th and 2. It looks like Georgia will escape.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2019 5:22PM

Iowa - 23
    Minnesota - 19

Final

• Options

Georgia - 21
    Auburn - 14

Final

• Options

Baylor was up 31-10 last night at the half against Oklahoma, and managed to blow it.

Oklahoma - 34
    Baylor - 31

• Options

Great college football day yesterday. Action packed.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Based on what I have seen this year - 5 of the top 10 teams are from the SEC (LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn , Florida), rounding out the others Ohio State, Clemson, Oregon, Oklahoma, and Penn State. Even though Auburn has 3 losses, they have beaten Oregon on a neutral field and been competitive with Georgia, Florida, and LSU.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Iowa - 23
    Minnesota - 19

Final

Tough loss for the Gophers. Got too far behind early. Played well against a good team on the road.

I think if there's such thing as a moral victory, this is it.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel bad for that Tua kid, he was projected as an early first rounder correct? I doubt he will be ready for the draft, hopefully he gets past that injury