Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 College Football thread

Comments

• Options

No one has dominated every game like OSU has. The next 2 weeks will show us who really deserves the #1 seed in CFP. LSU is rolling on offense, but giving up 600+ yards to Ole Miss?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 4:42PM

one thing I have spoken of at other venues is that for several weeks now the Buckeyes have essentially been playing the "starters" for only the 1st half, that's on both Offense and Defense. many people feel OSU has holes but it can't really be determined based on the outcomes of most games, it's better to look at just the first half.

these next two weeks will be very important and telling against two solid Teams which almost guarantees that we'll see the starters for the entire game, it will give everyone a "read" on how solid the Team is.

for comparison, consider LSU vs. Ole Miss --- a 58-37 victory. what would the score have been if LSU played their 2nd and 3rd string players for the 2nd half?? as it was LSU got outscored by three points in that half.

• Options

probably the biggest games this weekend are Ohio State vs. Penn State and the Alabama game without TuaTag. there are couple of other potential "trap games" for Teams like LSU/Georgia/Minnesota/Utah/Oregon but I don't expect any of them to lose those games.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2019 1:44PM

Yes, this weekend will be very interesting indeed. I'm looking forward to OSU vs Penn State, but I think OSU will win by at least 10. Meanwhile, I have to shave this weekend also. I grow a pretty thick mustache, and my wife has been hounding me to shave it. I think she's scared of my mustache poking her in the eye when she leans in to give me some sugar. ;)

• Options

I was playing some backyard neighborhood football with some of the middle school kids in my neighborhood yesterday (and dominating as usual) and they asked me about whether or not OSU will be beaten. I told them, I don't think Penn State will get it done today, but you never know. Chase Young comes back today from a two game suspension. I just don't see Penn State beating OSU in Ohio. I don't think it will be that close of a game either.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think PSU keeps it close. Their run defense should hold dobbins and fields in check running the ball. I think Hamler and Cain need to play for PSU to score enough points to win though. If both do play, they have a chance.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

I hope it is a close game. Another blowout would be boring. I like a good ol' fashioned slugfest. Both fighters exchanging blows in the middle of the ring. Let's get it on!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like all the celebrating before the game starts. Brag about what you did, not what you think you will do. I remember 1969.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

OSU just scored. Now it's 21-0. This is getting out of hand. Penn State is in serious trouble.

• Options

Oh, yeah. Come on Penn State, make it interesting! No wait! Come back Penn State, I didn't mean to scare you.

• Options

Touchdown Penn State!

• Options

Chase Young is a beast.

• Options

Penn State had momentum, but they let it slip away. OSU just scored.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2019 1:36PM

OSU - 28
    Penn State - 17

Final

It was closer than I expected. OSU had some turnovers, but their defense was solid, and Chase Young was a nightmare for Penn State to deal with. Overall, this fan enjoyed the game. Now it's time to visit Ye Olde Tavern (my kitchen).

• Options
    edited November 23, 2019 2:35PM

I'm watching Georgia vs Texas A&M now. I'm also keeping an eye on UCLA vs USC. Oh, dang. I just got mustard on my shirt. It is pouring down rain at the Georgia game right now.

• Options

the OSU game wasn't as close as it seemed. Penn State made a clear effort to go for the ball, it was effective and it changed the game. it was a brief nightmare to watch but overall I thought Ohio State pretty much dominated.....................except for that little 3-5 minute stretch. that was weird too, because we had knocked out their QB.

• Options

Oregon blew their chance at the playoff last night.

Arizona State - 31
    Oregon - 28

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harvard vs Yale was EPIC

• Options

I saw some sort of a headline about fans storming the field. what was that all about??

• Options
    edited November 24, 2019 12:27PM

@keets said:
    I saw some sort of a headline about fans storming the field. what was that all about??

A bunch of students handcuffed themselves together, and started protesting climate change. It took a long time to get them cleared out. It happened at the end of halftime, so the game was delayed about 30 minutes.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@keets said:

A bunch of students handcuffed themselves together, and started protesting climate change. It took a long time to get them cleared out. It happened at the end of halftime, so the game was delayed about 30 minutes.

There were like 40 arrests too

• Options
    edited November 25, 2019 2:35PM

what a weekend coming up......................
    Ohio State vs. Michigan
    Alabama vs. Auburn
    Wisconsin vs. Minnesota
    --- the only "trap" game might be Georgia vs. Georgia Tech.

• Options

it is interesting to me that this year's Sports Forum College related thread seems absent so many members. I wonder how if at least some of that can be explained by the fall from grace of Alabama. that would be a sad commentary on their fan base.

• Options

Yes, I am looking forward to OSU vs Michigan. It will be played at Michigan, but I just don't see Michigan winning. With Tua out, the Alabama vs Auburn game should be interesting. Wisconsin vs Minnesota will be a good game also I think. I think it will be competitive. It does seem like a ghost town inside this thread most days.

• Options

I don't believe Harbaugh has beaten the Buckeyes yet and I can almost guarantee that won't change this year. that seems almost a pre-requisite to be a HC at either school. he has had plenty of time to "do something" at Michigan and has failed miserably, it's hard to understand how he stays employed.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    it is interesting to me that this year's Sports Forum College related thread seems absent so many members. I wonder how if at least some of that can be explained by the fall from grace of Alabama. that would be a sad commentary on their fan base.

A couple of us were told by a wannabe mod that we were pretty much not wanted. It was in the old thread that got deleted. Ain't got nothing to do with Bama's fall from grace.

• Options

what mod is that?? why weren't you wanted?? i never saw anything in any thread was so over the top that it warrants action, just some over-zealous sports fans is all I ever saw.

we need you guys back.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama has a very good chance of getting in the playoffs. As usual. What happened to Mark? I really enjoyed his posts.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Alabama has a very good chance of getting in the playoffs. As usual. What happened to Mark? I really enjoyed his posts.

I don't see how they have an argument. They have zero wins over ranked teams and lost the only time they played somebody that was any good - at home. And they'll finish 3rd in their conference. They have no case for being in.

• Options

I don't see how they have an argument.

yeah, what he said. the Committee needs to stop voting on past accomplishment and start voting on this season. maybe Auburn will help that group ease into a decision that drops the 'Tide down to about No. 7.

• Options

Black friday. We got some college football on the tube today. I've got my day planned.

• Options

Just sitting here watching some college football., and eating leftovers from yesterday. This thread has some serious lack of population issues.

• Options

Dang boston cream cake is delicious. The custard in the middle. My goodness, I just don't know how they do it. I'm just speechless.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2019 1:36PM

Virginia has beaten Virginia Tech, their in-state rivals, for the first time in 15 years!

• Options
    edited November 29, 2019 2:29PM

I'm looking forward to christmas this year. My favorite uncle is coming to visit, although I think this year, we'll keep the chili away from him. The last thing we want is a silent but deadly night.

• Options

Well, I've had this thread to myself today. I've laughed, I've cried, it's been one heck of a day inside this thread. I'm still watching college football right now. I'm going to watch more tomorrow, especially OSU vs Michigan. I'll probably just fall asleep on the sofa, covered in potato chips and surrounded by beer cans. It appears Washington is on their way to defeating Washington State to win the Apple Cup, but we shall see. Ok, that's enough talking for now, back to the game.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be at a barmitzvah tomorrow so I’ll be catching scores on my phone. Would have gone to Georgia / Tech if we were in town, but open bar at the party and pics from the game from my brother will have to do.

I hope Michigan sticks it to OSU, despite me absolutely being a Justin Fields supporter - thought he was our stud at UGA and wish he still was with this year from Fromm. And I hope Auburn rolls over the tide.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aw, nobody mentioned Ole Miss losing because one throes players decided to celebrate by acting like a dog peeing?

• Options

Congratulations Washington Huskies, the 2019 Apple Cup champions of the world.

• Options

That's a good dog. He likes that, yes he does. That's a good boy.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will ttun be able to score very many points against the monster @ co?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Looking forward, to OSU vs Michigan today. It is a must win for Jim Harbaugh. He has yet to defeat his arch enemy. I just don't see it happening. Michigan will have to prove me wrong. Meanwhile, who will take the Paul Bunyan axe today in the Wisconsin vs Minnesota game? The Iron Bowl should be a good game as well. This will be an interesting day in college football. Hey, look, let the beer flow, and the potato chips rain down. Let's get it on!

• Options

It is a must win for Jim Harbaugh. He has yet to defeat his arch enemy.

I wonder if Harbaugh understands the history of the rivalry?? I suspect that he really doesn't. I'll be cooking turkey soup to warm the house as the game starts and expect to see Chase Young make his presence known, introducing himself to Shea Patterson early in the 1st quarter. anything can happen in College Football and in this rivalry but the OSU defense is particularly good this year. if the Buckeyes get out front it will be a long day for Harbaugh and company.

almost as good will be the Auburn/Alabama game.

• Options

I don't believe he does understand the rivalry.

"Ohio State vs Michigan isn't just a game, it's a way of life."

- Urban Meyer 

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Will ttun be able to score very many points against the monster @ co?

Welcome to the forum. TTUN will have to play the game of their lives if they want to beat Ohio State. Leave it all out in the field. They have homefield advantage, but I just don't think it will be enough, especially with Chase Young and that defense getting after them.

• Options

Dobbins will control the clock, Chase Young will steal souls

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some real football weather today up in Minnesota.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

I love this Woody Hayes story. It tells you just how much Ohio State and Michigan hate eachother.

In the 1968 Ohio State vs Michigan game, Ohio State was up by more than five touchdowns late in the game, Woody Hayes decided to go for a two point conversion after a touchdown. After the game, reporters asked Woody Hayes why he went for two and he said, "because I couldn't go for three". That's how big this rivalry is. Woody Hayes reportedly also refused to stop for gas in the state of Michigan.

• Options

Sadly, my Cable package has me blocked for the OSU and I believe the Minnesota game. I'll walk around the corner and watch the Buckeyes at a local Tavern and then I should be able to follow the Minnesota game online while I watch the Iron Bowl.

this is about the best weekend for College Football so far this season. B)

• Options

Man, that stinks. I would be livid about the cable company blocking the football game. That's crazy. Michigan scored on their opening drive, but shanked the extra point. Ohio State just answered them with a touchdown of their own.