Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 College Football thread

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2019 5:13AM

we're at that part of the season where there's 1-2 of these "upsets" each week and the 5-10 Teams shuffle around. in the meantime, 1-5 tend to firm up unless one of the upsets occurs there. LSU should get tested tonight by Auburn, I hope to be home and able to watch the end of that game.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, a lot of teams are trying to play spoiler. It's the dangerous part of the season for the top teams. The LSU vs Auburn game just started. Let's get it on!

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Chase Young for Heisman.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 6:14PM

Penn State playing some good football this season.

We need to stay focused and not look past to the Ohio State game.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 6:04PM

As a Dawg either LSU or Aub loss would be good, Auburn winning would have been nice, close but no cigar today. Now, Bama needs to lose...today and another time or 2....

• Options

Blowout in Ann Arbor.

Both Notre Dame and Texas were overranked.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2019 5:31AM

well, this weekends victims were Oklahoma and Notre Dame with LSU narrowly escaping(actually postponing for a few weeks) their first loss of the season. next week we will have at least one as Georgia and Florida play each other.

here is how I see it --- the system of voting for these Polls and the way Teams schedule games forces Teams which are really unworthy of Top 10 rankings to be ranked there, awaiting a surprise and not wholly unexpected defeat. early in the season before Conference games start do we really need the better/best Teams to be playing The Little Sisters Of The Poor?? maybe not. the Top 10 seems to always be dominated by the SEC, Big 10 and ACC, those Conference Teams shuffling in and out of no.'s 5-10 and trying to sneak into the party or position for a major bowl game.

the concept of "on any given Sunday" seems to always be around the corner for someone. it is time for Oregon and Utah to show up in the Top 10 and for Notre Dame and Wisconsisn to be shown the door and never allowed back in this season, no matter what happens. Baylor, Minnesota and Appalachian State should be standing outside of the Top 10, poised to enter if something unforeseen happens. I think being undefeated should count for something and be rewarded with at least a hope.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 2:25AM

Definitely have lost interest in college football over the years. Very little parity (too many 55-0 games), same teams vying for the championship every year, and success is based mainly on recruiting. Some teams (Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson) have better 3rd string teams than most 1st teams. Did enjoy some of the LSU/Auburn game, wish there were more like that.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Definitely have lost interest in college football over the years. Very little parody (too many 55-0 games), same teams vying for the championship every year, and success is based mainly on recruiting. Some teams (Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson) have better 3rd string teams than most 1st teams. Did enjoy some of the LSU/Auburn game, wish there were more like that.

There is some parity at times. There is a lot of parody in this thread though.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's been said before but Clemson's schedule is something. I'm pretty sure Indiana, Michigan St, and Nebraska would all be 8 or 9 win teams if they had the same schedule, and they are all mid level big ten teams. Clemson's toughest game this year was Texas A&M and they aren't even ranked anymore. They have ranked Wake Forest later on, but let's not act like they have much of a chance. The ACC is so bad outside of Clemson that they should be playing 2 or 3 big out of conference games every year just to keep up with Big Ten and SEC teams schedules.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clemson is not responsible for the quality of the other teams in their league. In the playoffs they have proven they are among the elite teams in the country.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Clemson is not responsible for the quality of the other teams in their league. In the playoffs they have proven they are among the elite teams in the country.

Correct, but with the low quality of teams in their division, they should be scheduling more difficult out of conference games. There's 7 Big Ten teams and 6 SEC teams in the top 15 in strength of schedule. Clemson is all the way down at 29. They should be making the effort to have a schedule comparable to other top teams.

What I Collect:

• Options

scheduling is hard, also, because it's done 3-4-5 years in advance. I know that Ohio State routinely has 2-3 games against Teams that aren't BCS and that doesn't make sense. they should only be playing Teams that are eligible to play for the same Championship that they hope to win. any changes would need to be done for the entire NCAA.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2019 1:56AM

just looked at the Polls and I'm wondering if it's ever been like this before, a virtual three-way tie for the Number One spot.

1 LSU (8-0) 1476 (17) 2
    2 Alabama (8-0) 1474 (21) 1
    3 Ohio State (8-0) 1468 (17) 3

• Options

@keets said:
    just looked at the Polls and I'm wondering if it's ever been like this before, a virtual three-way tie for the Number One spot.

1 LSU (8-0) 1476 (17) 2

Its close. Just 8 points separate 1 from 3.

In the computer polls its not even close. Ohio State is dominating.

1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Clemson
    4. Penn State
    5. Alabama

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

When Boise State was at the height of their powers, they were constantly slammed for their conference. But when that weak conference is one of the "power 5", suddenly teams can't control the strength of their conference?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Brick said:

When Boise State was at the height of their powers, they were constantly slammed for their conference. But when that weak conference is one of the "power 5", suddenly teams can't control the strength of their conference?

And I applaud Clemson for scheduling 2 SEC teams for their out of conference games, but they scheduled 2 of the most mediocre ones. Scheduling is done years in advance and I'd say there's a good chance that South Carolina and Texas A&M will both still be mediocre at best a few years from now. If they really wanna show that they are at the top of college football, then they would be scheduling top SEC and Big Ten teams for regular season games. Come up north to Penn State or Ohio State in November. That to me would be the best challenge for them.

What I Collect:

• Options

what if the NCAA took the "Power Five" Conference Teams and had a system which had each Team playing two Teams outside of their Conference from the group??

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

1 LSU (8-0) 1476 (17) 2

Its close. Just 8 points separate 1 from 3.

In the computer polls its not even close. Ohio State is dominating.

1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Clemson
    4. Penn State
    5. Alabama

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Some of the computer top 5 will have losses before the playoffs, so it will be settled. The argument will be about one loss teams. Clemson has a pushover schedule, so I assume they will be undefeated and in. Ohio St has a date with Penn St. one of them will lose. Ohio St also plays an improved Michigan. Likewise LSU and Alabama. GA and FL play this weekend. Baylor still no loss.

So the one loss teams will probably be fighting for spots 3 and 4.

• Options

This will be a good SEC shakeup weekend. Hope my Dawgs can get their heads out of their asses and play better than the past 2 games.

• Options

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

This game worries me a little bit. I hope that Franklin can keep himself and the team focused on this game, and not look past to Ohio State even though it's two games away.

Penn State has lost games such as this in the Franklin era, but this is a new season and hopefully Franklin has learned from those past mistakes.

• Options

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2019/10/31/michigan-state-football-joe-bachie-suspended-drug-test/4113807002/

If they're anything like Clemson they'll find a way to get away with it. Just say "I'm not sure how that got in our guys' system.
    :D

• Options

Snoozer of a weekend but the Dawgs beat the Gators and that's just good stuff right there.

• Options

Alabama vs LSU next weekend. That should be a doozie. I'll have to hit the grocery store, and stock up on booze and marshmallows.

• Options

College Football Playoff Committee Rankings 11/5/19

1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. Penn State
    5. Clemson
    6. Georgia
    7. Oregon
    8. Utah
    9. Oklahoma
    10. Florida
    11. Auburn
    12. Baylor
    13. Wisconsin
    14. Michigan
    15. Notre Dame
    16. Kansas State
    17. Minnesota
    18. Iowa
    19. Wake Forest
    20. Cincinnati
    21. Memphis
    22. Boise State
    23. Oklahoma State
    24. Navy
    25. SMU

• Options

Any thoughts?

• Options

Some big games this saturday.

• Options

my thought is that the Computer stats you had posted were apparently accurate and used, at least in part as a reference, for this version of the Committee to reach their rankings. my hunch is that no matter what the Buckeyes do today the winner of Alabama vs. LSU will be number 1 with the next Poll, the loser probably falling to 4-5 or maybe farther depending on what the other Teams do in their games.

from now till the end of the season I don't see a whole lot of hope for a new entry into the Top 10, just shuffling around of those Teams till they get the right matches for the Bowl games.

• Options

I can't wait for LSU and Alabama to mix it up later today. I'm pulling for LSU, but I think Alabama has the advantage, playing at home. We will see. It's time for the showdown.

• Options

LSU will be gunning for Tua today. He has a high ankle sprain. Hey look, let's get it on! The touchdown wolf will be making an appearance today.

• Options

Maryland is getting torched by OSU. This one's over and its not even halftime yet.

• Options

Meanwhile, Minnesota came to play today. They are slapping Penn State around a little bit.

• Options

and yes, Minnesota has ambushed Penn State and as I said earlier in the thread, they are the lowest ranked undefeated Team. if the game holds, they may move into the Top 10 depending on what the other Teams there do. another undefeated, Baylor, is down early.

to the Buckeyes, yes, it is Maryland that they're playing, but the Team looks really, really good, fast, athletic and complete in all facets, even special teams. it now seems that they should hold on at number 1 no matter what happens in the SEC showdown between 'bama and LSU. the question might be how far does the loser fall and where do Clemson and Georgia wind up at??

• Options

Minnesota leading 31-19 in the fourth quarter with about 8:00 to go.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2019 1:27PM

Minnesota wins! The fighting Joe Banzai's have won!

Minnesota - 31
    Penn State - 26

• Options

Ohio State - 73
    Maryland - 14

• Options

Minnesota is 9-0 for the first time since 1904.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see Alabama being taken to the woodshed

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Nice to see Alabama being taken to the woodshed

I'm certainly enjoying it. Ha ha ha ha! 😂😂😂😂

• Options

Now LSU is letting Alabama right back in the game. Unbelievable.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Yea I spoke too soon. ‘Bama will win

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Yea I spoke too soon. ‘Bama will win

Oh well. The season isn't over yet though, hopefully they'll meet their match.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 5:17PM

Alabama is behind LSU at the moment, but LSU ripe to get beat in this game.

Prove me wrong. LSU responded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Love them or hate them Alabama is an amazing football team. I am not a "fan" but I do respect them.

Game is not over until the clock says 0:00.

46-41 with 1:21 to go. Onside kick time....

• Options

Amazing second half. I would say LSU letting Alabama back in will have LSU at #2 behind Ohio State. I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama isn't further down than 5 and maybe 4. Long way to go still so it doesn't really matter but I am seeing:
    1) Ohio State
    2) LSU
    3) Clemson
    4) Alabama
    5) Georgia
    and doesn't matter after that at this point.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2019 5:30PM

LSU vs Alabama. Heck of a game. Both teams left it all out on the field.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

compelling game. not to take anything away from LSU, but what on earth was Orgeron doing playing bump-n-run on an island with less than 2 to go in a 2-score game. that's the absolute only way Bama could get back into the game.

great to see some new blood at the top

• Options

My home smells like Football, booze, and burnt chili. One Heck of a day.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    My home smells like Football, booze, and burnt chili. One Heck of a day.

what was the beer du jour at casa de DD?