Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 College Football thread

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the moment of contact - you can see it's not the crown of the helmet.

• Options

And here's a screenshot showing where the crown of the helmet is:

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 5:08AM

It is 100% targeting. The Clemson player CLEARLY lowers his helmet before contact. Doesnt matter if he's a QB, running back, or Receiver. The ball carrier was defenseless in this case when he is locked up by 3 different Clemson players. The clemson player purposely went at him with the crown of his helmet. Totally against the rules. In this case, he should've been tossed out of the game. Its much worse than Wade's hit.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    It is 100% targeting. The Clemson player CLEARLY lowers his helmet before contact. Doesnt matter if he's a QB, running back, or Receiver. The ball carrier was defenseless in this case when he is locked up by 3 different Clemson players. The clemson player purposely went at him with the crown of his helmet. Totally against the rules. In this case, he should've been tossed out of the game. Its much worse than Wade's hit.

No disrespect but you don't know the rule. The ballcarrier isn't considered defenseless. Lowering the helmet isn't illegal by itself. It's only illegal if contact is made using the crown of the helmet. I already disproved that the crown was used.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

No disrespect but you don't know the rule. The ballcarrier isn't considered defenseless. Lowering the helmet isn't illegal by itself. It's only illegal if contact is made using the crown of the helmet. I already disproved that the crown was used.

The video clearly shows he hit him with the crown. He lowered his head. Everyone else commenting on the video agrees with me. Maybe you need some new glasses?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

This is the rule

'In 2013, it became an ejectionable offense, in addition to incurring a 15-yard penalty. Defenseless players can be defined as any of the following, but not limited to: ... a player who receives a blind-side block. a ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped'.

As the video shows, Dobbins was in the grasp of 3 clemson players when #3 for Clemson lowered his helmet and purposely hit him. After Dobbins burned Clemson of runs of 68 and 64 yards, the Clemson players were trying to twist and hurt him to take him out of the game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

The video clearly shows he hit him with the crown. He lowered his head. Everyone else commenting on the video agrees with me. Maybe you need some new glasses?

I posted screenshots clearly showing it's not the crown. Looks bad at full speed but isn't the crown when you look closer.

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    This is the rule

'In 2013, it became an ejectionable offense, in addition to incurring a 15-yard penalty. Defenseless players can be defined as any of the following, but not limited to: ... a player who receives a blind-side block. a ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped'.

As the video shows, Dobbins was in the grasp of 3 clemson players when #3 for Clemson lowered his helmet and purposely hit him. After Dobbins burned Clemson of runs of 68 and 64 yards, the Clemson players were trying to twist and hurt him to take him out of the game.

I stand corrected. If you decide the guy has his progress stopped - tough to tell from that clip - then he's defenseless. If he's defenseless, it's a penalty. If his progress is not stopped, it's not a penalty (since it wasn't the crown of the helmet).

Based on reading the actual rule, I would agree it should have been a penalty and I apologize for saying you didn't know the rule.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 5:57PM

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

I posted screenshots clearly showing it's not the crown. Looks bad at full speed but isn't the crown when you look closer.

:D

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 6:01PM

Video clearly shows he lowered his head/helmet and got whacked by his crown. Not by his face mask. Do you have an agenda?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Video clearly shows he lowered his head/helmet and got whacked by his crown. Not by his face mask. Do you have an agenda?

I drew an arrow at the crown. Feel free to highlight where that drawing is incorrect.

I don't have an agenda.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 7:27PM

Crown of a helmet.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama vs Michigan. The first play of the game is an Alabama 85 yard TD pass.

• Options

Good win by Minnesota beating Auburn to finish 11-2.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna be a great game, Go Tigers... B)

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Crown of a helmet.

An unofficial drawing from a deadspin article? Let's try the NFL and their official explanation video. In their words (verbal, not visual), the crown is "the very top of the helmet", which matches my drawing.

https://youtu.be/CcUjpivl-ns

• Options

Oregon beats Wisconsin to win the Rose Bowl 28-27.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2020 12:10AM

Georgia beats Baylor to win the Sugar Bowl 26-14.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2020 6:40AM

Tabe, if players were allowed to hit with any part of their FRONT helmet above the face mask, we would see alot more defenseless players getting hurt. And without any punishment to the player who imposes these kind of hits. The hit on Dobbins was a good 4-5 inches above the face book, so therefore hit with the crown. And the clemson defender lowered his helmet right before impact.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Good win by Minnesota beating Auburn to finish 11-2.

Yes, the Gophers had a great finish to a great year. Too bad they lost to Iowa by falling behind in the 1st quarter and then dominating the rest of the game.

I wasn't a P.J.Fleck guy when they hired him, but he is getting the job done!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Alabama gave up 46 points in their own backyard. They are not a top 5 team people. They are beat up with a ton of injuries. Michigan would boat race Bama if they played in the big house.

Not so sure of this, lost by nearly 3 TD’s on a neutral field with Alabama using a backup QB and 2 of their best defensive players sitting out for draft. Alabama will have more 1st round players drafted (if their juniors declare) than any other college team. 3 junior WR are all graded 1st round picks. They are top 5. I am not a SEC/Bama fan, just stating facts.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 2:59AM

@coolstanley said:
    Tabe, if players were allowed to hit with any part of their FRONT helmet above the face mask, we would see alot more defenseless players getting hurt. And without any punishment to the player who imposes these kind of hits. The hit on Dobbins was a good 4-5 inches above the face book, so therefore hit with the crown. And the clemson defender lowered his helmet right before impact.

Players ARE allowed to hit with the front of their helmets. Happens constantly.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@coolstanley said:
    Alabama gave up 46 points in their own backyard. They are not a top 5 team people. They are beat up with a ton of injuries. Michigan would boat race Bama if they played in the big house.

Not so sure of this, lost by nearly 3 TD’s on a neutral field with Alabama using a backup QB and 2 of their best defensive players sitting out for draft. Alabama will have more 1st round players drafted (if their juniors declare) than any other college team. 3 junior WR are all graded 1st round picks. They are top 5. I am not a SEC/Bama fan, just stating facts.

Well, it was really only 2 td's. Most respectful coaches take a knee at the end instead of running up the score. Neutral field? Not really.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 4:55AM

How did each conference do in the bowls this year?
    CoolStanley, who won the title?

7-2 SEC
    4-3 PAC12
    4-5 BIG10
    4-6 ACC
    1-5 BIG12

SEC, SEC, SEC...… B)

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 6:55AM

@coolstanley said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@coolstanley said:

Well, it was really only 2 td's. Most respectful coaches take a knee at the end instead of running up the score. Neutral field? Not really.

Harbaugh ran his mouth, Saban shut him up.

Thing about it, Michigan knew who was going to get the ball and where he was going to run it, they just couldn't stop it.

• Options

Been a huge sports fan for 45 years and have always seen the “human factor” with out/safe, balls/strikes, fouls, travel, double dribble, off sides, pass interference, fumbles, out of bounds, etc. with every game, sometimes every play. I have always looked at the “missed opportunities” that the team I cheered for rather than blaming the officials for the loss. Could have easily done this with recent Patriots/Chiefs game where the calls weren’t even controversial (Harry called out of bounds at the 3 yard line), when he scored and Dorsett mauled 3 seconds before the ball got to him in the red zone. Yet I focus on the Patriots having the ball in red zone late in the game and missing their opportunity, not whining and blaming officials.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 7:17PM

@Bullsitter said:
    How did each conference do in the bowls this year?
    CoolStanley, who won the title?

7-2 SEC
    4-3 PAC12
    4-5 BIG10
    4-6 ACC
    1-5 BIG12

SEC, SEC, SEC...… B)

BIG went 7-1 two years ago. Best record ever by a conference. Not bad for playing most bowls in the deep south.

3 of the BIG losses this year could've went either way as Indiana, OSU, and Wisconsin outplayed their opponents. Indiana was up 19-6 with 5 mins left in the 4th quarter and tennessee won the game on a lucky onside kick. Tennessee went without scoring a touchdown until 5 minutes left to play in the 4th quarter. Wisconsin held Oregon to 204 total yards of offense. Got screwed on a phantom holding call for a chance to win the game. Both Wisconsin and Indiana lost by 1 point.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 7:25PM

Y'all do have a good kicker. He kicked 3 field goals in their last game.... :*

• Options

Conferences with teams of 4 losses or less.

ACC: 1
    Big12: 2
    PAC 12: 2
    SEC: 5
    BigTen: 6

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Big 10 and SEC were the two best conferences by far in 2019. Would like to see the playoff expanded to 8 teams IMO

• Options

Ok, it's that time. The national championship is tonight, who will be the champion? Here's my pick...

LSU

Clemson

• Options

Another southern championship. Yawn. Not watching.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Congrats to the 3rd string Ohio quarterback who just whipped clemson :D Nice job, Joe.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 14, 2020 4:39AM

LSU, LSU, LSU, SEC, SEC, SEC

• Options

wow, LSU very impressive after falling behind early. Well, the best team clearly ended as National Champs!

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    . Well, the best team clearly ended as National Champs!

Nope

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

What would have happened if LSU had played Ohio State for the national championship? We'll never know. It's one of those "what if" questions.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    What would have happened if LSU had played Ohio State for the national championship? We'll never know. It's one of those "what if" questions.

lol exactly. LSU's last 3 National Championships came in the superdome.

Getting championship games in your home stadium, regardless of the ticket splits, is a huuuuuuge advantage that isn’t given enough discussion.

Ignore list -Basebal21