Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 College Football thread

Comments

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Interesting article - 5 College schools getting 2/3 of the best recruits for 2020 - guess we will be seeing the same teams in the top 10.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college-football-playoff-same-teams-national-signing-day-052140424.html

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Interesting article - 5 College schools getting 2/3 of the best recruits for 2020 - guess we will be seeing the same teams in the top 10.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college-football-playoff-same-teams-national-signing-day-052140424.html

Clemson has only been an elite program the last 5 years. LSU and Georgia dont have very many national titles. For many years, USC, Notre Dame, Texas and Florida State were all elite. Not today.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2019 4:24AM

Clemson (6), Georgia (6), LSU (4), Ohio State (3) and Alabama (3).

it is understandable that recruits to College might want to play for the best programs, not unlike the pro's signing contracts with the Teams that offer the most money.

• Options

It seems like the same teams win in almost every sport. What teams always get the top recruits in college basketball? North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky. Those teams all stink in football usually.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

if other schools want the top recruits they need to improve their programs and hire HC's that are good recruiters. if a school like Slippery Rock was in the hunt for the NCAA Football title every year they would probably be able to get the top prospects.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    if other schools want the top recruits they need to improve their programs and hire HC's that are good recruiters. if a school like Slippery Rock was in the hunt for the NCAA Football title every year they would probably be able to get the top prospects.

Yep. In 2010, Clemson went 6-7. It was their 10th straight season of at least 4 losses and 16th in 17 seasons.

It was also the first year with Dabo Swinney as head coach. In the 9 years since, they've won 100 games (and counting) and played in three national title games, winning two.

In 2007, Alabama went 7-6. It was the fourth time in five years that they'd lost at least 6 games. They were in the middle of an 11-year stretch where they would lose 5+ games eight times.

It was also the first year for Nick Saban. In the 12 years since, they've won 149 (12.5 per year!) games and counting and played in seven national title games, winning five.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just sitting here watching some college bowl games today on ABC. The college football season is ending. The Celebration Bowl is on right now, Alcorn State vs NC A&T. Later I will be watching the "Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl", and after that the "Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl". Yes, these are the actual names of these bowl games. I'm just waiting for the day that a bowl is sponsored by a toilet paper company. It will be called the Charmin Ultra Soft Bowl. The winning team will receive this trophy....

• Options

ESPN keeps saying the Fiesta bowl is the biggest college football game in years. Two teams with the current longest win streaks. I expect high ratings for both playoff games.

Thank God they got rid of the BCS. Clemson would've been left out. An undefeated team with a 28 game win streak.

First year in the playoff era that there was no debate who the chosen four were. Oklahoma backed into it when every other team ahead of them lost.(Baylor, Alabama, Oregon, Utah, and Georgia).

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess nobody cares about the Hawaii Bowl featuring the University of Hawaii playing in....you guessed it! ;)

• Options
    edited December 27, 2019 8:44AM

I'm picking LSU and Ohio State to win tomorrow, and play for the National Championship.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm picking LSU and Ohio State to win tomorrow, and play for the National Championship.

LSU definitely, think the OSU/Clemson will be a close one

• Options

I thought the OSU vs Texas A&M game was pretty good. Mond is fun to watch! And I also have a special spot in my heart for Miss Rev:

• Options

Gameday

Ali vs Foreman(Ohio State/Clemson)

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Very impressive performance by Iowa. Where was THAT offense all year?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Yes, Iowa put a beating on USC. I'm ready for playoff today. I've been waiting for the main event to begin, and now it's showtime! I'm taking LSU for sure and the Clemson/OSU game could go either way.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2019 11:46AM

I'm just sitting here about to watch the Camping World Bowl, Notre Dame vs Iowa State. It's been all Notre Dame at this point. Iowa State can't even get the ball in the endzone. A pathetic effort indeed. I get more satisfaction out of watching a spider on steroids.

• Options

Notre Dame - 33
    Iowa State - 9

Great effort Iowa State. I wish I had that 3 hours of my life back.

• Options

is anyone keeping track of each of the major Conferences Bowl wins??

• Options

I'm not sure what the conference bowl wins records are so far, but LSU has drawn first blood against Oklahoma.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Not surprised - Big 10 and SEC are much better than the other conferences.

• Options

Oklahoma strikes back, and ties it up.

• Options

Guess the officials are missing calls in the college game as well. Tough luck OU. Need a ref missed call funny from Double D

• Options

LSU retakes the lead 14-7.

• Options

LSU scores again, Oklahoma is in trouble.

• Options

LSU is stomping Oklahoma. It is 42-14 and it's not even halftime yet. This one is over.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2019 4:38PM

Most of the experts picked 8-4 Wake Forest over 6-6 Michigan State. Even so, I thought Michigan State had a slight advantage playing in a Northern(yankee stadium)bowl game. Michigan State prevailed 27-21. Wake Forest got shutout in the 2nd half.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

The Notre Dame game was a total mismatch. A 10-2 squad against a 7-5 team does not make for a very fair contest. They said the reason Notre Dame didnt get a better bowl was because they dont belong to a conference. So instead, Virginia got the bid playing against Florida instead of Notre Dame.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Best of the Big 12 is not one of the best teams in college football. Wins against Kansas, Texas, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, West Virginia, and Texas Tech don’t carry much weight this year. Several teams from the SEC or Big 10 would have given LSU a better game.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2019 5:15PM

OSU will feel at home in Glendale. Temp in the high 40's as the game progresses.

• Options

Wow, great 1st half Buckeyes 16 Clemson 14 🏈🏈🏈🏈

• Options

Those SEC refs are awful. BS targeting call changed the momentum.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Wow - 94 yards on 4 plays

• Options

@coolstanley said:

100% correct call. He led with the crown of his helmet. Textbook targeting.

• Options

Heck of a game last night, I thought OSU would take care of business, but I was wrong. It will be LSU vs Clemson for the championship. I actually turned that LSU game off after the first half due to the shellacking that LSU was putting on Oklahoma. I think Clemson is going to have their work cut out for them if they want to beat LSU. I'm going to pick LSU to win it all. They dropped a 63 salad on Oklahoma like it was nothing, and they have Superman playing quarterback. If it turns into blowout, I'll just have to break out my sewing machine, and work on that sweater.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

And what about the face mask before the targeting call?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

The refs overturned 2 OSU td's. The fumble call should've never been reversed.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

They were both close plays, but the referee in the announcers booth indicated both should be overturned. I thought the fumble return for a TD was a fumble.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2019 6:30AM

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@coolstanley said:

They were both close plays, but the referee in the announcers booth indicated both should be overturned. I thought the fumble return for a TD was a fumble.

Yes it was a fumble. The receiver took 4 steps. If the Clemson player made the same play in the end zone it would've been a Clemson TD. There wasn't enough evidence to overturn.

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/ohio-state-ad-gene-smith-pissed-off-with-officiating-in-fiesta-bowl-loss/

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clemson versus LSU ... it will be a very interesting match-up, perhaps the best in years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I just hope LSU vs Clemson is competitive, unlike that Oklahoma game yesterday. That was just a disappointment. It was 49-14 at halftime.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I just hope LSU vs Clemson is competitive, unlike that Oklahoma game yesterday. That was just a disappointment. It was 49-14 at halftime.

If both teams play the way they did yesterday it will not be close. I hope it's a good game. I hate championship blowouts....unless it is a team I truly despise on the receiving end of the beating! Lol

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

And what about the face mask before the targeting call?

Well, clearly the facemask penalty you're showing there means there was no targeting.

Sarcasm aside, looks like they missed the facemask. But the targeting was correct.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@coolstanley said:

Yes it was a fumble. The receiver took 4 steps. If the Clemson player made the same play in the end zone it would've been a Clemson TD. There wasn't enough evidence to overturn.

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/ohio-state-ad-gene-smith-pissed-off-with-officiating-in-fiesta-bowl-loss/

It's either an incomplete or forward progress stopped. You don't get to drive a guy backwards three yards and then strip the ball.

Either way, not a fumble.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2019 4:16AM

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@coolstanley said:

It's either an incomplete or forward progress stopped. You don't get to drive a guy backwards three yards and then strip the ball.

Its a clear fumble. The ball never came loose until it was stripped lol What are you a shitigan fan?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

'If you watch any of the games that I call you know that I feel CFB replay is broken and the lack of consistency is troubling at best

Just spoke with
    @OhioStateFB
    Athletics Director Gene Smith and he is livid with what he feels like was clear overreach from replay tonight.'

Joel Klatt

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 30, 2019 4:25AM
  • Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@coolstanley said:

Its a clear fumble. The ball never came loose until it was stripped lol What are you a shitigan fan?

You just agreed with me and don't even realize it. Well done.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 12:49AM

Targeting was legal for Clemson. Especially if a OSU player was actually Defenseless.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Targeting was legal for Clemson. Especially if a OSU player was actually Defenseless.

That's not targeting. Hit him with the very top of the facemask. The ballcarrier doesn't get "defenseless" protection.