Home Sports Talk

2019 Boston Red Sox official thread

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The weather was bright and a sunny 55 degrees as the Red Sox truck makes it's way to Florida for the start of another great season.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

GO SOX!!!

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

So far they have stayed away from signing Kimbrel as has everyone else.
    I predict that holding on to Swihart will turn out to a smart move as he is the best hitting catcher they have if given a chance.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too soon! B)

I still hungover from Sunday

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I watch the Patriots but my heart is with the Red Sox so it's never too soon to talk about them.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truck Day is a good day to start the thread! Kimbrel should go play for someone else, please :D

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the Red Sox don't come to Atlanta this year, guess I'll have to settle for the MLB package. I think Kimbrel is pricing himself out of the market...time will tell.

Should be a good season ahead.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Well, the Red Sox don't come to Atlanta this year, guess I'll have to settle for the MLB package. I think Kimbrel is pricing himself out of the market...time will tell.

Should be a good season ahead.

Now that my buddy AL has posted it makes the thread official. GO SOX!!! 🍻

Unlike the NFL package the baseball package is cheap when you consider what they get to attend one game.
    If they can solve the catching situation and come up with a good bullpen they should do very well this year,

A week from Friday is the first televised spring training. I can hardly wait.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Repeat!!!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

still no home for Kimbrel. as long as the Sox dont sign him, he can go anywhere as far as I am concerned.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Is greedy to want the Sox to repeat 🤔

I guess I am greedy then. The one thing I really want is for them to beat the Yankees.

@pitboss said:
    I guess I am greedy then. The one thing I really want is for them to beat the Yankees.

Like I always say if the Red Sox don’t win it and the Yankees don’t either it’s ok.

The sox had their first game against Northeastern today and they started out their spring with a 6-0 win. Tomorrows game will be against the Yankees . I love watching these spring training games.

GO SOX!!! 👍

1 PM game time today on NESN 2 if anybody beside me is interested ( 11:00 AM for me in NM).

Hanley Ramirez signed a minor league deal, I’m surprised it took this long. Either way I’m glad he isn’t on the Sox

He's been enjoying the good life since leaving the Sox on his big salary the Sox blew on him.
    He was in no hurry to have to go to work ( if you want to call it that ) again,

edited February 25, 2019 9:50AM

@pitboss said:
    He's been enjoying the good life since leaving the Sox on his big salary the Sox blew on him.
    He was in no hurry to have to go to work ( if you want to call it that ) again,

Please, he was enjoying the good life when he was on the Sox playing whenever he felt like it 🙄

So true !

I thought Hanley was in big legal troubles with drugs? did that all somehow blow over?

Must have, I never heard any more of it.

Sox have been getting beat up in these meaningless games, haven’t paid too much attention but are they healthy goi g into the season?

I have not heard of any injuries so far. It seems like Cora is not putting the pitchers he wants to use during the season in very often because he wants them fresh for the season. They had 4 months to rest since the World Series but what do I know .His way worked fine last year so lets see what happens when the season opens.

I like him minimizing innings for starters right now, they need their reps but no need to give them too many innings.

I agree as it's a long season.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to the season opener.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Well, I got the MLB package.

Should be a very interesting season...lots of potential for another WS win, but so much can happen. We'll see if Pedroia can come back and there's the JD Martinez (he's not happy) free agency looming, as are others. The catcher trifecta needs to be resolved, and I think Swihart needs to go to benefit himself and showcase his skills more than just being put in now and then...not fair to him. I don't see them moving Vasquez or Leon...but I don't know the contract implications, if any. Bogaerts is in the mix as well.

The bullpen issues remain, hopefully Barnes, etal can step up. For sure Kimbrel has overpriced himself in the off season market and is toast with the Red Sox. He was really Mr. Heart attack last year.

Didn't like seeing Joe Kelly go to LA...I also enjoyed his performance and 100 fast ball. Not sure what Dumbrowski was thinking when he slipped away...gotta be a money thing.

What's happening with Remy? Is he well enough to continue, or do they make a move there as well? If Jerry is too ill to announce, maybe it's time to offer Eck the spot. I enjoyed Orsillo, but Eck gets the nod for me. HOFer, Red Sox pitcher, a no-brainer.

Batter up!!

Al you got my Responding PM correct?

Looks like they have some pretty good kids coming up in the minors so if these veterans go the free agency route so be it. I just can't see them going crazy on spending until they get their money situation squared away but who knows what management is prepared to do.

Paul,

Yes I did...thanks. Recovering well, but doubt I'd go through that procedure again (unless life threatening). The worst of it was when they literally bound my wrists and legs to the operating table...and there I was for three hours!! And, with only local anesthesia, which unfortunately allowed me to hear everyone's conversation, including the surgeon. May you never have to have a heart catheterization, nor a heart ablation procedure!!

Enough of that...

Hopefully a good season ahead...I think management has some key issues to deal with, but time will tell.

Best to you!!
    Al

I am hoping price can ride his playoff success into this season.

should they resign Sale? things have been so hush hush about the health of his shoulder. A great pitcher, but I am afraid if they do resign for the big dollars he will demand it will turn into a situation like the dodgers are having with kershaw. they are on the hook for the next 4 years with a guy that i dont think will make more than 20 starts a year.

That is always a problem with re-signing these older players. More times than not once they get the big money they do not do as well as they did before. I say get this year out of him and then let him go the free agency route and take the draft pick they get for him. But the owner likes him and he is paying the bills so who knows what they will do.

I may be alone in this but really feel they need to keep Swihart. They will get nothing for any of the 3 catchers at this point so why not keep the one with the most upside.Leon has the least to offer at this point and Vasquez has not shown that he can hit for any average. What do all you guys think?

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Paul,

Yes I did...thanks. Recovering well, but doubt I'd go through that procedure again (unless life threatening). The worst of it was when they literally bound my wrists and legs to the operating table...and there I was for three hours!! And, with only local anesthesia, which unfortunately allowed me to hear everyone's conversation, including the surgeon. May you never have to have a heart catheterization, nor a heart ablation procedure!!

Enough of that...

Hopefully a good season ahead...I think management has some key issues to deal with, but time will tell.

Best to you!!
    Al

Right back atcha Al! Lots of Sox talk ahead my friend! Glad it all worked out buddy 👍

Al
    Those heart procedures are not fun for sure but necessary. I have been through them myself . Wish you well my friend, just keep doing what the doctors tell you .
    Enjoy the season,
    Steve

Tks Steve. Should be an exciting season to watch.

@1970s said:
    I think it's good news that S. Wright will serve 80 games. Perhaps it will keep him
    healthy for the postseason when they really need him.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26152691/boston-wright-suspended-80-games-peds

The suspension makes him ineligible for any postseason play.
    Let us not forget his arrest for domestic abuse in 2017. Sounds like a troubled soul to me.

I sure hope the pitching improves before the season starts.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    I think it's good news that S. Wright will serve 80 games. Perhaps it will keep him
    healthy for the postseason when they really need him.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26152691/boston-wright-suspended-80-games-peds

suspension for PEDs means he will be ineligible for the postseason

Why cant the Red Sox develop pitchers like the Rays do?

It don’t matter we got WS Rings 😎

Unfortunately that was last year.

Pedroia is trying to work his way back, not sure we even need him though to be honest. His knee is garbage, some of the players are talking up his “Leadership” skills? I never thought he was a leader by any stretch

It's pretty hard for Pedroia to stop those balls that are going to be headed for the bullpen the way these pitchers are throwing them but you can tell by the way he talks that he is not sure he will make it back. Good thing for him he signed a long term contract a few tears ago.

Swihart is going to be hard to keep on the bench or not keep on the ball club with the way he is hitting but with their pitching being so bad he might have to go for a relief pitcher or two or three or four.