Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 Boston Red Sox official thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    that makes me wonder, has a city ever held all 4 major sports titles simultaneously? It would be the grand slam of sports.

Not sure but Boston/NE is the sports hub of the nation, New York has taken a back seat for now

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

signs of life?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

my next question is, when Pedroia returns from his minor league assignment, do we actually move Chavis off from 2nd?

• Options
    edited May 1, 2019 6:07AM

I say keep Pedroia on the DL, he is a shell of his former self. Trade him, cut him I couldn’t care less

• Options

I am over Pedroia as well. it is very early yet, but it sure seems Chavis COULD be the future at 2nd. Dustin is surely the past. It would be a shame not to play Chavis and see what he has.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Pedroia is a valuable member of the Red Sox and can be utilized in many ways but stick with Chaves at 2nd. Pedroia will be a tremendous help to him. Pedroia knows he is done.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

what's the over/under on number of days the Sox keep Tyler Thornburg on the team. Cora trusts him only in garbage time, meaning his WAR must be in the negative digits by now, right? He's sucking big time.

• Options

one run lead. Why does Devers ever start the ninth inning with a one run lead again? I forgot. Must be a reason for that?

• Options

If a 3rd baseman cant field the only place for him to play is dh as it is just too important a position and they already have a dh.

• Options

I missed the end last night, what happened at 3rd?

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I missed the end last night, what happened at 3rd?

If I recall (I was watching), one out, easy grounder to third, botched. So instead of two out and bases empty, there is a man on first courtesy of Rafael "Manos de Piedra" Devers. Changed the mood of the inning. A couple of batters later, walk off homer.

• Options

got it. went to bed, thought they had it in hand. thanks

• Options

Cora seems to like Braiser for the ninth. Barnes has shown better stuff, IMO

• Options

GO SOX!!! ( Haven’t done that in a while )

• Options

We all know how terrible Chris Davis is doing this year, right? Take note that the 7, 8, and 9 hitters in the Boston lineup today all have OPS lower than Davis does (Pearce, Nunez, and JBJ)

• Options

now Price on the 10 day IL

• Options

JBJ with an amazing game saving catch!

• Options

JBJ beast mode

• Options

I think Chris Sale is now Chris Sale again
    8IP, 3 H, 14K

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I think Chris Sale is now Chris Sale again
    8IP, 3 H, 14K

Hopefully he is warmed up now

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2019 9:11AM

Once considered a high honor to be recognized at the White House by the sitting president, now, not so much.
    Many Red Sox players are blowing off the visit, including Alex Cora.

They should have left politics and other opinions outside of this visit. They won as a team, unless there were serious pressing personal issues, I think they should have gone as a team. I think today's visit will be an embarrassment to the Red Sox as a whole.

• Options

^^^^ this

• Options

great performance by Rodriguez. Throw strikes, last seven innings. What a concept. Once again, Alex Cora uses Thornburg during garbage time and once again Thornburg delivers garbage. His days MUST be numbered.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2019 2:13AM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Once considered a high honor to be recognized at the White House by the sitting president, now, not so much.
    Many Red Sox players are blowing off the visit, including Alex Cora.

They should have left politics and other opinions outside of this visit. They won as a team, unless there were serious pressing personal issues, I think they should have gone as a team. I think today's visit will be an embarrassment to the Red Sox as a whole.

Agreed. Unfortunately it’s the trendy thing in sports to blow off the Presidents invitation. I want to go back to the old days when these Athletes took it as an honor to go to the White House and the trendy “”Hi Mom” when they got TV face time

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, the Sox are now 2 games over .500, with this afternoon's win over the Mariners. The corpse has come back to life.

• Options

As the owner of both the Bill Lee and Luis Tiant Master Sets, which are #1 on the Registry and 100%...

I am giving serious consideration to donating them to the Jimmy Fund for auction purposes. NO money comes to me, other than perhaps a letter from the Red Sox in case I get audited by the IRS. I'm estimating both sets FMV would come in at close to $6k. Any and all proceeds would go to the Jimmy Fund and I would so stipulate in my letter to the Red Sox organization.

I would think local Boston fans would have an interest, vs eBay. I'm just at a point in my life where it's time to let others enjoy what I've had for quite some time, among other things. I don't need the money.

Any thoughts on this and how to handle this should I decide to make the donataions?

Tks,
    Al

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Devers is up over .300. Never thought the kid would hit over .300 in the majors. Others thought he would be great, and it looks like I was wrong and they were right.

I had written Devers off not as a hitter but as a fielder. Cora spent time with him on that as I said the coaching staff should be doing and he has improved.

• Options

I think the decision to bring Sandy Leon back has had a lot to do with the recent pitching success for Sale and the others as well.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    As the owner of both the Bill Lee and Luis Tiant Master Sets, which are #1 on the Registry and 100%...

I am giving serious consideration to donating them to the Jimmy Fund for auction purposes. NO money comes to me, other than perhaps a letter from the Red Sox in case I get audited by the IRS. I'm estimating both sets FMV would come in at close to $6k. Any and all proceeds would go to the Jimmy Fund and I would so stipulate in my letter to the Red Sox organization.

I would think local Boston fans would have an interest, vs eBay. I'm just at a point in my life where it's time to let others enjoy what I've had for quite some time, among other things. I don't need the money.

Any thoughts on this and how to handle this should I decide to make the donataions?

Tks,
    Al

Al I think you would be leaving some money on the table, if you want to donate the proceeds to the Jimmy Fund you would be better off doing EBay paying the fees, then donating the money. You would then get a receipt for tax purposes I believe. But Ofcourse since money isn’t an issue for you then look for their contact and ask to speak to a rep. Curious if they would be interested in this

• Options

Speaking of Tiant. Imagine a guy like him pitching in the game today? Imagine a guy who looks like he's having fun out there, not listening to pitching coaches as to form/delivery, and pitching well past 120 pitches with regularity. My favorite pitcher of all time. What a joy to watch.

• Options

Well 3 games out after a horrific start isn’t too bad really

• Options

@Barndog said:
    Speaking of Tiant. Imagine a guy like him pitching in the game today? Imagine a guy who looks like he's having fun out there, not listening to pitching coaches as to form/delivery, and pitching well past 120 pitches with regularity. My favorite pitcher of all time. What a joy to watch.

He would be disgusted at the work ethic of some of these guys

• Options

whatever magic Brasier had last year is GONE. He's got to be a -WAR this year, at least it seems that way

• Options

though he didn't take the L, Brasier sucked again

• Options

With SIXTEEN LOBs , and 1-16 in RISPs, no wonder the Astros are hammering the Red Sox. Game one was their's to lose and lose they did. The second game was a farce in the 1st inning.

Failure to get key hits when needed is the Red Sox downfall and will continue to be so during the remainder of the season. Inept play by infielders (Bogaerts and Devers), add to the poor results. Watching the bases loaded situations go unanswered is just pathetic to me. Singular home runs mean nothing without base runners against a team like the Astros.

Both JBJ and Betts had shots to make stellar catches, but even the best fall short occasionally.

Congrats to the Astros, clearly the better team...for now.

• Options

and today's performance in the field was lackluster. Leon mistake lunging for the runner rather than making the guy get to the plate through him. ugh. And did anyone catch Sale just standing around with a run-down trying to get started? The defense was shoddy today and it cost them a chance to win this game against Houston

• Options

There needs to be some changes in either attitude or players.

• Options

only pitcher who looked decent with some consistency is now out three batters after returning from the IL :s

• Options

Well, let's see now...Price wakes up in Houston knowing he's gonna pitch yesterday.
    Gets to the ballpark and a paltry 15 pitches in, decides he has the flu. How he didn't have the flu and feel kinda crappy after he woke up, is a mystery.

So, let's see...2019 salary is $31 MILLION for the season, which we all know is 6 months long. Average starting pitcher will get 30 starts. So, yesterday, he throws 15 pitches and then claims having the flu...cost to John Henry's coffers??? Ah, that would be $1,033,333.33. I must say, it's nice work if you can get it. He is slowly, but steadily turning into a former 3rd baseman the Red Sox gave a king's ransom for and fizzled, and, who, BTW they still owe untold millions and millions and millions....etc, etc. Sandoval is laughing his a$$ off in SF.

The Red Sox team as a whole continue to display momentary excellence, often times penetrated by inept play and not being able to capitalize on golden opportunities. This is why they're 7.5 games out and sinking. This is also why I'm gonna have to pony up $200 and listen to the crap in October.

• Options

solid fundamentals today = W against Verlander. Will take that any time!

• Options

I just would like to see it more often than I am now seeing it.

• Options

Brasier has let up a leadoff homer, then a walk. I know why I hate seeing him in there now. Reminds me of Kimberly

• Options

and just as I finish that, a two run jack to a guy hitting less than 50% of the Mendoza line. Brasier needs some time in Pawtucket (beer tent, peanuts...not on the mound)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

five in the ninth to win in Fenway!!!

growing up my Dad always told me how no lead in Fenway Park was safe. he used to tell and re-tell the story from the late 40's about how the Indians lost consecutive games in Boston to the Red Sox, games where they had something like eight run leads after the seventh inning. with the wall in left, the short porch in right and the canyon the rest of the way around it is a unique diamond and hard to defend.

• Options

went to bed happy, thinking this one was in the bag. woke up to read the write up, not so happy now.

• Options

Yet another inept failure by the bullpen.
    PATHETIC!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you guys flip out when the BP loses a game how do you handle what happened today?? the season is long, don't take it so hard.

• Options

@keets said:
    if you guys flip out when the BP loses a game how do you handle what happened today?? the season is long, don't take it so hard.

If you include me in this, I just call it like I see it. When I see inept play, or a poor decision by Cora, I call it. I can assure you, I don't "flip out"...got no skin in the game, other than a $200 bet that appears to be toast. I've been watching (or listening to) the Red Sox since the mid 50s...seen it all.

When you see a guy getting paid thirty one million per season, and he plays poorly, I'll call it. Errors, poor base defensive plays, etc, etc. These guys are being paid a FORTUNE to perform at a professional level...and lately, of the games I've seen, they don't measure up. Lack of key hits with the bases juiced has found the team with missed opportunities and cost games. While the season may be long, it'll be June in no time, and the losses add up in late September. Like countless others, I've seen leads disappear late in the game, as your dad told you, weird things can happen in Fenway.

The BP is a mess without a bona fide closer. Cora, of course defends the BP, as he must, but deep down he knows he has serious issues. Not to mention how many more times they're gonna play the Yankees...SEVENTEEN! They get the Rays 13 more times, Twins for 6, and throw in some Dodgers and Phillies, and you got a hill to climb!! 43 games yet to be played by either Division Leaders, or top tier teams. The Red Sox will play almost 50% of the remaining games against some very strong competition. If they get swept by the Yankees, they'll be 11.5 back and sinking. Almost impossible to recover if that happens.

They're in arguably the toughest division in the game, and unless there is a miraculous improvement, the team will be toast this season. What is Dumbrowski doing about getting a closer? It appears nothing. Cora's platitudes will rapidly become nothing but same old, same old.

• Options

They are definitely real hard to watch right now. Thank God I have other interests this year to keep me busy. Dumbrowski is just following orders I am sure from above him. He is not that stupid I don't think.