Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 Boston Red Sox official thread

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

it was ugly, both of the losses against Cleveland.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    it was ugly, both of the losses against Cleveland.

Exactly, and that's my point, those are the game losses that add up so very quickly. I'll bet Tito was grinning all the way down the runway at Logan as they left.

Not to knock Keets above, but the comment "it's a long season" was valid in April or May, but, with June upon us and being down 7.5, with a tough schedule ahead, suddenly the season ain't so long. We're 56 games in already, that's 35% of games are history. Could be a very, very tough hill to climb, given their schedule.

• Options

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
    You know the nearer your destination
    The more you're slip sliding away

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

They need to make moves now or as the saying goes wait till next year as this one has already disappeared.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2019 8:01AM

Well, another loss to the Yankees and now the team is 9.5 gb.
    Price will more than likely struggle today, as is his norm against the Yankees...if so, it's 10.5 gb and one could pretty much say the post season opportunities have all but become unreachable. The schedule going forward does not allow for much relief, given that the Indians won 2 in Fenway, the Division leaders will eat their lunch.

They left 10 on base in yesterday's loss, and Martinez is now a stunning 0-13 with RISP. Their inability to score runs with men on base, especially RISPs, is dismal...they just don't have it. Failure of the team to support starting pitchers with offense has allowed Chris Sale to have a paltry 1-7 record.

I think I'm kinda done with all this lackluster performance, inept play, getting picked off and overall dismal lack of play by this team. I have other things to occupy my time. It appears to me they will only sink further and further into a hole they will not get out of this year....so...turn out the lights...

• Options

I too have other things to do with my time. I will continue to watch some games but will not have the interest I had before until they get their act together.

• Options

wonder if the Sox brass will have the nuts to be sellers at the fast-approaching trade deadline? Martinez can opt out...trade him? This is Porcello's final year too. Someone might want him. All kinds of other options to potentially trim some fat, some payroll and maybe restock the farm

• Options

@Barndog said:
    wonder if the Sox brass will have the nuts to be sellers at the fast-approaching trade deadline? Martinez can opt out...trade him? This is Porcello's final year too. Someone might want him. All kinds of other options to potentially trim some fat, some payroll and maybe restock the farm

Well, I'd like to lay the blame at Cora's feet, but I can't do that...he's not out between the lines.
    At this point, one would think Dumbrowski is silently making (or trying to make) deals. It wouldn't surprise me that the top brass may well have written off the season, especially if they lose tonight and go 10.5gb.

You may have a point with JD. Going 0-13 with RISPs is not a good sign. That and the obvious lack of just a base hit in key situations, has surely got the wheels turning somewhere. There is a serious lack of consistency in the offense...Dever is hot, but so what, where are the other millionaires??

It's a mess for sure!

• Options

and just like that, the best SP on the Boston Red Sox is David Price. Would not have predicted that one!

• Options

One game does not a season make but it was an important win for the sox.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Kansas City... I believe there's a good chance of rain for all 3 games. I'm likely going Thursday afternoon, and perhaps Wednesday evening, as well. Always interested in seeing the teams that come once a year (or even more infrequently in Interleague pay.) Good luck!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:

Agreed but no matter how the Sox season is going it’s always important to beat the hated Yankees 🍻

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@pitboss said:

Agreed but no matter how the Sox season is going it’s always important to beat the hated Yankees 🍻

Us Yankee fans agree with this sentiment but opposite. Any time the Crap Sox lose is a good day in America.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@pitboss said:

Us Yankee fans agree with this sentiment but opposite. Any time the Crap Sox lose is a good day in America.

Always curious if you guys hate the Patriots more 🤷‍♂️ I’d say I hate the Giants more than the Yankees but it’s pretty close, close enough to not be able to confirm either way 😂

• Options

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@pitboss said:

This post is an example of why Red Sox Nation loves Yankee fans so much.

BTW, how did the ALCS work out for your team last year? Oops...I forgot, your team didn't get that far, as the Red Sox CRUSHED you in 4 games in the ALDS...gee, I bet you enjoyed that, and lost in the Bronx to boot! LOVED IT

• Options
    edited June 3, 2019 12:10PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@pitboss said:

This post is an example of why Red Sox Nation loves Yankee fans so much.

BTW, how did the ALCS work out for your team last year? Oops...I forgot, your team didn't get that far, as the Red Sox CRUSHED you in 4 games in the ALDS...gee, I bet you enjoyed that, and lost in the Bronx to boot! LOVED IT

Oh stop I'm messing around. We are all the same. And need each other believe it or not LOL
    But once that 1st pitch is made ..... Red Sawwwwwx Saauuck Caaaack

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@pitboss said:

Always curious if you guys hate the Patriots more 🤷‍♂️ I’d say I hate the Giants more than the Yankees but it’s pretty close, close enough to not be able to confirm either way 😂

I don't hate the Patriots. I hate the Jets much more. Plus, Eli slayed your boy TWICE so there is no real feeling of hate for the Pats.

• Options

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@pitboss said:

I don't hate the Patriots. I hate the Jets much more. Plus, Eli slayed your boy TWICE so there is no real feeling of hate for the Pats.

Figured you would say that Dan 😂.

• Options

And Al, Dans a good Yankee fan. His love for the Giants annoys me at times but a good guy 😂

• Options

@perkdog said:
    And Al, Dans a good Yankee fan. His love for the Giants annoys me at times but a good guy 😂

Paul !!!
    "a good Yankee fan"?? I'm gonna pretend you're just really, really hung over, or you need to get off that crack pipe. There are NO good Yankee fans, they're just bodies that yell chit. Notice how those "fans" bailed on their team last night kinda early...like the 7th inning.

Oh, who was that Yankee clown in right field? A recent call up from single A ball, maybe the Charleston Riverdogs?

Get some help Paul, before it's too late...we can't lose you.

Al

• Options
    edited June 3, 2019 5:14PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Paul !!!
    "a good Yankee fan"?? I'm gonna pretend you're just really, really hung over, or you need to get off that crack pipe. There are NO good Yankee fans, they're just bodies that yell chit. Notice how those "fans" bailed on their team last night kinda early...like the 7th inning.

Oh, who was that Yankee clown in right field? A recent call up from single A ball, maybe the Charleston Riverdogs?

Al

Take this stuff to heart I see lol. I only let my wife and kids in there

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Paul !!!

Al

AL! Red Sox Nation would never lose me buddy! I should have worded it “Dan is a good guy” 😂🍻

• Options

Ha I mistyped that I left my wife and kids in there. I meant LET .... lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Paul !!!

Al

AL! Red Sox Nation would never lose me buddy! I should have worded it “Dan is a good guy” 😂🍻

Ok, better, but a Yankee fan is a Yankee fan!!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 6:59AM

Not to knock Keets above, but the comment "it's a long season" was valid in April or May, but, with June upon us and being down 7.5, with a tough schedule ahead, suddenly the season ain't so long. We're 56 games in already, that's 35% of games are history. Could be a very, very tough hill to climb, given their schedule.

at this point of the season we arrive at what I like to call "The Truth Zone" for most Teams. look at the records of Boston and Cleveland, right now they are both average .500 Teams whether we like it or agree with it. when I made the above post I already knew that about the Indians, they have an injury list that would rival any Team in MLB. I don't know what the reason is for the Red Sox but I suspect their fans are very impatient, especially on the heels of a great season and World Series win.

the fact may be that the Boston Red Sox over-performed last season and what we're seeing now is the Truth. again, looking at it from my perspective the Indians suffered through a World Series collapse against the Cubs when they were up 3-1. I have become "steeled" against failure while you guys have become too accustomed to success.

I don't think the Red Sox are going anywhere this year. guys like Chris Sale and David Price are more the problem than you realize.

• Options

Evoldi comes back in less than 2 weeks so we shall see what happens.

• Options

I don't think the Red Sox are going anywhere this year. guys like Chris Sale and David Price are more the problem than you realize.

Price is doing quite well this year. Sale, not so much. Rodriguez is getting gifted runs, which is the only reason he has a "good record." Porcello is hot then cold, tough on him for his walk year. On the field, lots of players regressing to the mean (Betts, Benintendi, Chavis) and some even worse (whomever is playing 1B, JBJ, Leon). On the mound, questions in the bullpen too. Barnes looked good at first, not so much now. Brasier? WTF is it with Cora trusting that guy. Seems he's giving up runs every time, I think hitters know what's coming with him.

• Options

@keets said:

at this point of the season we arrive at what I like to call "The Truth Zone" for most Teams. look at the records of Boston and Cleveland, right now they are both average .500 Teams whether we like it or agree with it. when I made the above post I already knew that about the Indians, they have an injury list that would rival any Team in MLB. I don't know what the reason is for the Red Sox but I suspect their fans are very impatient, especially on the heels of a great season and World Series win.

the fact may be that the Boston Red Sox over-performed last season and what we're seeing now is the Truth. again, looking at it from my perspective the Indians suffered through a World Series collapse against the Cubs when they were up 3-1. I have become "steeled" against failure while you guys have become too accustomed to success.

Don't think I fully agree with your analysis. On May 29th you posted "the season is long, don't take it so hard. Now, barely a week later, you are into your self-described "The Truth Zone" I guess that long season thing really got seriously shortened!

I don't think the Red Sox over-performed last season. They stepped up when they had to and were the better team against the Yankees, Astros and Dodgers. I can assure you, I haven't become too accustomed to success...I've been around a very, VERY long time. I've enjoyed the thrill of watching Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway. I, like millions of others, endured the never ending losses where the team came up short. Listening to Curt Gowdy on my little transistor radio at Hampton and Salisbury beaches are great and fond memories. So, please don't include me in the jaded group.

I will agree that it appears the Red Sox have found themselves on a very slippery slope and I doubt they'll make post season play. Anything is possible, BUT...if you look at the record so far, the only bright spot is the first 2 weeks of May, with several wins. Since then, it's pretty much win 2, lose 2, win 2, lose 2. The loss in Fenway to Cleveland was a loss that should not have happened. The bullpen choked, giving up 5 in the 9th, and after being up 5-2...lost the game 7-5.

I also agree that pitching is a huge problem. I never liked the Price signing, over-hyped, and WAAAAAY overpaid. As for Sale, brilliance, then not so much brilliance. The team has a serious closing issue, and I have no clue why Cora goes to Brasier in key spots...not a reliable pitcher.

60 games are gone, 102 to go...that's 37% of the season is toast and the team is 7.5 gb. If you look at the upcoming schedule, I think they have a serious hill to climb, and doubt they're up to the task. Far, FAR too many LOBs, with untold RISPs. A spark is missing and I have no clue what Dumbrowski may, or may not be doing to try to rectify the situation.

Time will tell.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2019 11:24AM

On May 29th you posted "the season is long, don't take it so hard. Now, barely a week later, you are into your self-described "The Truth Zone" I guess that long season thing really got seriously shortened!

here, let me translate that for you.
    --- the season is long, don't take it so hard. what this means is that there's a lot of the season left and if you're already aggravated it'll a tough summer. roll with it. I know I'm preaching to the Choir, you're a little too smart for me to engage in this thread but I'll try anyway.
    --- The Truth Zone should be self-explanatory. the time between mid-May and mid-July is when a Team's personality is pretty much known, we get to see the Truth of where they'll most likely be at season' s end. if we reach the All-Star break and Boston is still flirting with .500 and the trade deadline is weeks/days away it may get interesting. from today until July 15th the Red Sox have about 35 games, so if they're at the same place in the standings what do you think they'll do??

• Options

is the Royals game an indicator of where Sale is now and going to continue to be? CG SHO, can't go wrong!

• Options

Yet again the team fails to chip away at those above them...in this case the Rays, who out hit, out played and out scored the hapless and inept bats of the Red Sox. Losing 3 of 4 to the Rays is pathetic.

Surely the team General Manager...i.e. one Dave Dumbrowski in his nattily attired outfit from Joseph Aboud, while appearing to ponder the weight of the world, will come up with some plan to solve the quickly sinking team. Of course he always has his best bud at his side, giving him his wisdom, one Tony LaRussa. Best they get a solid game plan going, before the wheels totally come off. Maybe time to jettison some "stars" and bring up some hungry, yet able AA or AAA guys. July 31st will be here before you know it...and the schedule ahead, given current performance by those in the future games, does not favor the Red Sox team.

No need to get into recent stats, they're dismal at best. The inability of this team to get just a key hit...just a hit, would have scored untold runs to at least make some games competitive or generate a win. The bats have gone silent, with the exception of an occasional single HR, which means nada. Leaving waaaaaaaaaaay too many RISP with one or no outs.

Dandy Don's song is upon us without a serious change.

• Options

Playing 2 catchers in a game is a stupid idea ! They should have learned that after what happened a couple of weeks ago when they lost their dh because of it. Leon can't hit his way put of a paper bag so why is he the designated hitter anyway. The manager is worried about tiring his over played ( payed ) players out when it comes time to play in the World Series. He is not going to have to worry about that as he is not going to be in it anyway.

• Options

Barnes and Brasier, again. The not-so-dynamic duo.

So Cora lucked into an amazing year in 2018? At least that's what it is looking like more and more these days. He's not evaluating players based on current capabilities and is allowing some sloppiness to become standard.

• Options

I think I've just about run out of adjectives. Continuing to analyze (in fairness), this team's inability to step up and play like champions is rapidly becoming a total waste of time. Another classic late inning loss in Fenway. Maybe Cora isn't up to the task, Dick Williams he ain't, and that's what this team of softies needs.

The schedule ahead is not conductive to a Red Sox rally, only a miracle will pull this fiasco out of the fire.

• Options

Well, I think the inside the park homer kinda caps the season, it was the cherry on the cake. I do give credit to Holt for giving it a go, but the results were...dismal.

Benintendi using the toilet mouth to blast the home plate umpire does not help the situation...you're gonna get bad calls, but why rain on your parade? Now comes daddy Cora to complain, this in an obvious attempt to show the boys he supports them, also gets the early shower. Man up Benny and take the high road, what did you expect? You only hurt the team by acting like a jerk, which is what you did.

Now, again, 8 games back and sinking. Once they get to the 10gb position, I think it will then be officially...to use the home town vernacular...ovah. To be more fair, the injury list almost reads like a lineup card, some key players are out, on rehab, bereavement or just never gonna play again.

I've gotten very bored with quoting salaries, LOBs, RISPs and other stats that clearly show an overpaid, underperforming, used to be championship team. The excitement is gone in the team's performance, and the look on Cora's face is though he's at a funeral home. Time to tip the cap to the opposition, pay my $200 wager and move on.

• Options

It will be between the Yankees and Rays this year . The Rays have the pitching and the Yankees have the hitting. The Red Sox have nothing except lousy management and sloppy players who make a ton of money. They just don't have any spark this year.Say goodnight the party is over!

• Options

so WTF was that for David Price? :o

• Options

@Barndog said:
    so WTF was that for David Price? :o

Over hyped, overpaid and under performing.

• Options

The Red Sox are severely handicapped by the stupid situation they have put themselves in paying these players much more than they are worth. The Yankees picked up another big bat today because they were a lot smarter than the sox management. What a joke!

• Options

after a six game streak the Red Sox lost a marathon game to Minnesota who seems to be getting more and more real every day. I only have one question about that 17th inning: how does Boston get a runner to third base with no one out and fail to move him across the plate?? this situation is the trouble with MLB, situational pitching to batters who don't have much bat control and managers who just can't think out of the box.

think suicide squeeze. :)

• Options

I watched the whole game. Something must be up with JD Martinez. He looked like a minor leaguer last night, swinging at stuff way out of the zone. Given the Twins' not stellar bullpen, it was surprising to see him so baffled

• Options

seems that Rodriguez is enjoying the Porcello-effect (remember when Porcello would pitch, even not so well, and still get the W because the team racked up the runs...last year or year before, I forget). Nice to see some offense in this series.

• Options

what an ugly way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. And there was Brasier again, right in the middle of it

• Options

Lets hope Wakefield will help them because they sure need the help. Not signing a closer was a BIG mistake over the winter.

• Options

Another dismal performance by the Red Sox team. 1-7 in RISPs, 8 LOBs.
    This by a team 21 gb but looked like a powerhouse. Yesterday was worse!!

Perhaps Cora isn't up to the task...ever the optimist, the season is half over, and the bottle ain't half full, its got a leak!!
    They need a Dick Williams type manager, not Mr. Softee.

Cue up the fat lady, bring on college football.

• Options

Last two days has me thinking (trade deadline looming), “Sell, Mortimer, sell!”

• Options

Unfortunately selling will not help the payroll situation as they are now paying too much money for too many worthless players and no one is will to take players like Price off their hands to help the situation. By the time these contracts end the good players they have will be long gone to greener pastures.

• Options

with Price's performance maybe someone might take him with some financial help. Someone, please take Barnes and Brasier, masters of blowing the game

• Options

RISP 3 for 10...you deserved to lose.
    I'll bet the ride to London was kinda quiet.

Cora is outmatched this year. Half over, and 9 back...not gonna happen.