Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 Boston Red Sox official thread

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was bouncing between the Masters and NESN. Hard to believe this team is so, so bad.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris Davis even hit the ball today. Time to panic

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea of course Davis gets out of his historic slump and slaps the Sox 🙄😴

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Porcello's walk year (literally, figuratively)

• Options

Finally got a good start!!

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Right back to another bad one.

• Options

Figured Marathon Monday would give them a spark. Guess not 🙄

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something just isn't right with the Sox pitching. They can't possibly be this bad. The team also seems to have no spark or excitement. On the other side, the O's offense has been surprisingly good to start the season. 3rd in the AL in runs scored, but also have given up the most runs in the MLB.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

Sox pitching started out behind the 8 ball as Cora didn't use them much in spring training in an attempt to save some bullets for the post season. The thing is, you've got to make it to the post season first

• Options

2013-2014 all over again?

• Options

At least the Yankees are not doing much better 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Very difficult to repeat

• Options

Even from one day to the next!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh now we know swihart ruined the team. What a relief just discard him and world series again no problem.

I heard he was poisoning the pitchers with antifreeze in their drinks , they should rapidly improve now.

Hold your breath any second now the team will be fixed

• Options

Can we DFA Dumbrowski??

• Options

Well DUMBrowski really fixed the Sox. He gets rid of Swihart and brings back catcher who cant hit to solve the pitchers problems and he still cant hit but throws the ball into center field for an error. Then they bring in the other great move he made today and he gives up a home run. Oh yea, the new catcher didn't do Sale any good as he sucked again today. They will rue the day they let Swihart get away for absolutely nothing. Mookie betts did not run out a ground ball today also. I won't get into their 3rd base situation as Devers still has not learned how to throw a ball. I can not watch any more of this tonight.

• Options

they wrecked swihart's damn career by fiddling around with him. is he a catcher? A fielder ? Instead of tossing him away make him a starting pitcher , there could hardly be a drop-off :D

• Options
    edited April 17, 2019 4:55AM

The Swihart issue did not just come up...IMO, they should have addressed this during the off season and formulated a plan. I think they did a huge injustice to Swihart...I think he was cursed with having to wear #23...shades of ManRam. There had to be ample opportunities to trade him if that was the plan. NO, they just pulled up to the bus station and let him out.

I think they have about 10 days to put him somewhere, then they have to try to trade him or release him outright. Swihart has been the perennial bridesmaid in the organization. Sick to watch a little snip of Dumbrowski saying how "we debated and debated and finally it was my decision". I think with better opportunities, some hitting instruction along the way, Swihart could have really been a star within the organization. They did screw around with him too much and probably hurt his career as bronc said, by bouncing him around the field...catcher or utility player.

GL Blake.

EIGHT TO NOTHING How do I find the words?? I might as well hand over my $200 bet and be done with it.
    P - A - T - H - E - T - I -C

Hey Dumbo...send down the whole team and bring up the Lowell Spinners!!

• Options

I found it hilarious during post game when cora was speaking about sale, saying "this is not the time to build up.". Well joey, because of slow rolling your pitchers during spring training, this is exactly the time to build up. Sale just built up to his normal velo last night in his 4 th start of the season. His location still is not tuned in yet. ALL of this should have been done during ST.

Terrible mismanagement of the staff

• Options
    edited April 17, 2019 5:44AM

@craig44 said:
    I found it hilarious during post game when cora was speaking about sale, saying "this is not the time to build up.". Well joey, because of slow rolling your pitchers during spring training, this is exactly the time to build up. Sale just built up to his normal velo last night in his 4 th start of the season. His location still is not tuned in yet. ALL of this should have been done during ST.

Terrible mismanagement of the staff

They massively mismanaged the contracts too. The literally handed Sale money and he fell flat on his face. Swihart is another personnel disaster . You don't give players away or waive them, unless they beat up their kids or have a drug problem some other team will usually trade something for them.

This isn't all Dumbrowski , these talent issues were happening before he got there. Cora had a part of screwing up Swihart but that goes back quite a ways too.

• Options

I'm not too concerned about the dollars. The red sox have plenty of those and there is no hard cap. They have locked up some key players. Other than the closer and Joe Kelly, they brought back essentially the same team. The starters began the season not even close to ready. Coras fault.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

They massively mismanaged the contracts too. The literally handed Sale money and he fell flat on his face. Swihart is another personnel disaster . You don't give players away or waive them, unless they beat up their kids or have a drug problem some other team will usually trade something for them.

I take it you can't remember last month when no one claimed Leon on waivers, so he made it through to be outrighted to Pawtucket?

• Options

The whole team is in disarray.
    Now a stunning 8 games back and heading to Tampa, who BTW is on fire and in first place.

• Options

@daltex said:

@bronco2078 said:

I take it you can't remember last month when no one claimed Leon on waivers, so he made it through to be outrighted to Pawtucket?

I did forget that. :D , That guy they kept though , the guy no one wanted is better !! ! I wanna nickname Dumbrowski Ex-LaX , he makes some smooth moves

• Options

The apparent lunacy going on within the Red Sox organization...as they are desperately trying to find out what to do.

https://www.guybostonsports.com/posts/sandy-leon-isnt-the-answer-and-releasing-blake-swihart-was-idiotic

• Options

did someone steal home against the sox this week? :s

• Options

Yup, they certainly did.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

less than 20 games into the season and Red Sox fans are upset, critical ready to revolt and hand someone?? what's up with you guys?? getting beaten by a messed up NYY Team this early in the season should concern no one. Geez, I haven't even watched a game yet, I'm still in "check the score" and live life mode.

the beauty of MLB to me is the troublesome thing for so many others --- the length of the season. when August rolls around the Red Sox will have figured things out and the zoo in New York will be in full swing. nothing to worry about.

• Options

@keets said:
    less than 20 games into the season and Red Sox fans are upset, critical ready to revolt and hand someone?? what's up with you guys?? getting beaten by a messed up NYY Team this early in the season should concern no one. Geez, I haven't even watched a game yet, I'm still in "check the score" and live life mode.

the beauty of MLB to me is the troublesome thing for so many others --- the length of the season. when August rolls around the Red Sox will have figured things out and the zoo in New York will be in full swing. nothing to worry about.

so basically we have a 100 game pre season ? what a snoozefest.

I think we are upset because they started awful and everyone said well its the west coast road trip , then they came home and were awful here too. It could be the worst world series hangover in recorded history , except for that other red sox team of course

• Options

not what I was really alluding to, Bronco. the NFL with its weekly games and physical nature is played on an adrenaline high. with MLB it generally takes most players a short while to find their groove, settle in and ride out the nagging injuries and perpetual road trips. my impression is that when that happens in mid-May, about 40 games in, we see what a Team is really capable of doing. some Teams get their quicker than others but the basic pattern is followed year after year.

for me, mid-May til the end of September is the real season, so your pre-season is from February 10th or so until mid-May. still a long time, but not really much longer than the NFL.

• Options

I just noticed that Pedroia is headed back to the DL. it looks like his knee(s) are not ready yet and might never be ready to return him to what he once was.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't read through this entire thread but has anyone else thought that maybe all of these Sox starting pitching problems stem from using their starters as relievers throughout the playoffs and now they're basically dealing with dead arms to start the season?

• Options

I wouldn't think so, these guys are in off-season conditioning programs and pitchers in general are pretty strict about there routines. more likely is that it is somehow tied to the pitching coach and their workouts. it seems to be an MLB problem as I pointed out in the "Trevor Bauer" thread. at that time there were more pitchers on the Injury Lists than all other position players combined. a central point to that is simple: pitchers today throw harder and place more stress on their arm/shoulder by throwing so many breaking balls.

a good example for the Indians was Andrew Miller. he was at his peak when they first added him to the BP and throughout their last WS run he was dominant, with all the strike-outs coming mainly on his backdoor slider. his mechanics got a little mixed up and the injury(s) manifested themselves in his left hamstring. he hasn't been the same since.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I wouldn't think so, these guys are in off-season conditioning programs and pitchers in general are pretty strict about there routines. more likely is that it is somehow tied to the pitching coach and their workouts. it seems to be an MLB problem as I pointed out in the "Trevor Bauer" thread. at that time there were more pitchers on the Injury Lists than all other position players combined. a central point to that is simple: pitchers today throw harder and place more stress on their arm/shoulder by throwing so many breaking balls.

a good example for the Indians was Andrew Miller. he was at his peak when they first added him to the BP and throughout their last WS run he was dominant, with all the strike-outs coming mainly on his backdoor slider. his mechanics got a little mixed up and the injury(s) manifested themselves in his left hamstring. he hasn't been the same since.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't follow baseball enough to know if this could have been a problem or not.

• Options

Swihart traded to Arizona.

• Options

He is closer to home and should do well there. I wish him well.

• Options

Now we got Eovoldi on the IL with elbow problems.

• Options

Sounds like the same thing from last season. A small arthroscopic procedure and back for the second half

• Options

Nice play by Vasquez for the win.

• Options

At least they are fighting now. Vazquez has improved in every way since Swihart was traded.

• Options

Eovaldi having elbow surgery Thursday...gone for 4-6 weeks.

• Options

win streak replaced by getting swept in a double header by the Tigers :(

• Options

anyone getting excited about next year's MLB draft? :D

• Options

NFL draft starts tomorrow!

• Options

erod looked good last night.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baaasten Sawwwx Caaack

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

I am glad for the Nascar race today because I cant watch any more of the Red Sox today. Devers can not only not throw he cant field a ball either. I didn't like him last year and he has gotten even worse this year with 9 errors already. Then Bradley misses a ball he normally catches to put them down by 4 runs. Dumbrowski better get his a$$ in gear or this season is lost already.

• Options

Eh it’s all good either way, we are still the World Champs which is a LOT more than most teams can remember saying 😎

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Eh it’s all good either way, we are still the World Champs which is a LOT more than most teams can remember saying 😎

I agree. I am nowhere near being wound up about the Sox. With them and the Patriots winning 3 months apart, I am good for now.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2019 5:18AM

that makes me wonder, has a city ever held all 4 major sports titles simultaneously? It would be the grand slam of sports.