Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 Boston Red Sox official thread

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sale is being cryptic about his velo during the last 45 pitch session. anyone else worried yet? I know I am

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I am deeply worried about the whole pitching rotation. They would be complete fools if the extend Sales contract until he pitches a full season at this point.

• Options

I agree 100% about Sale. I am getting flashbacks to how fragile Pedro was and how they had to manage him for a number of years. I am however, thrilled to have Eovaldi in the rotation. He is electric and hit 99 on the gun yesterday. I am hoping for big things out of him this year and that he can stay healthy.

• Options

Sale looked sharp today as did the other pitchers.

• Options

The report is that the sox offered eats $200 million over 8 years and he refused it.
    Shades of Lester?
    They better sharpen up their pencils if they want to keep him.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    The report is that the sox offered eats $200 million over 8 years and he refused it.
    Shades of Lester?
    They better sharpen up their pencils if they want to keep him.

is this for Sale?

• Options

if so, i am not sure I am interested in an 8 year deal for him.

• Options

He is going to wait for free agency and they are not going to lure him with short offers. He is set for life now with this years $20 million contract so is in no hurry to sign.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 8:21AM

I honestly couldn’t care less if Pedroia retires or not. I Hope Sale is good to go

• Options

I know, I have moved on from Pedroia as well.

• Options

He worked a good contract for himself years ago and now realizes he can not play forever. I really doubt if he will be able to play out that contract as knee's are no fun to deal with, I have been there.

• Options

If Mookie is going to wait for free agency would the Red Sox be wise to trade him now and get some replacement value for him rather than get nothing for him down the road?

• Options

@pitboss said:
    If Mookie is going to wait for free agency would the Red Sox be wise to trade him now and get some replacement value for him rather than get nothing for him down the road?

I think with all these insane contracts being handed out I think clubs will be suspect of giving up talent for him since he will probably command a contract North of 200-300 Million himself. The Sox have won so that might be enough reason to not think about signing him again and start looking around again maybe? Tough decision? I think Betts is almost close to Trout as far as talent goes. He is definitely better than Harper in my opinion

• Options

Sox have Mookie under control for this year and next. I would keep him and play him for those 2 years while the team is strong and competitive. After seeing if last years Mookie is the real one after 2 years I would sign him to the big contract. its only money and the red sox have plenty of that.

• Options

What is any person going to do with as much money as they are getting now. I, myself, would go with whatever team I wanted to play for. He obviously has that opportunity and the Red Sox have the opportunity to pay him what they want to or trade him for some younger players that don't command that sum for a few years. Hopefully they can come to an agreement but in the end the fans are the ones that will suffer because of higher ticket prices.

• Options

I have found that most people spend to their income. look at the players during the NFL lockout who needed to play because they needed their game checks to pay the bills. 10 Million dollars may seem like a lot to us, but it wouldnt seem quite as amazing if you have already made 50 or 60 million

• Options

It’s just numbers really, but the reality is that stuff that we appreciate is not the same for them. I’m not a car guy but say I was and I was given a Ferrari I’d damn well appreciate it, these guys can go out and grab whatever they want and there can’t be any “Rush” of excitement I don’t think. Betts is going to get paid, by who remains to be seen.

• Options

He is going to get paid for sure. He is the type of guy that will probably be happy no matter where he goes. I doubt if it will be with the Red Sox but we can always hope.

• Options

Sources say Swihart has made the team and Leon is on the way out.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    Sources say Swihart has made the team and Leon is on the way out.

I would be happy with this.

• Options

Me too as I watched him grow up. He is an excellent athlete.

• Options

Sounds like a deal is being worked on with Sale and it is close to happening.

• Options

Well, they did it, a signed agreement with Sale for $145 million 5 year extension. He is pitching tonight.

• Options

They must be much more confident about the condition of his shoulder than I am. At least the contract only goes through his age 35 season. They could still get value at that age

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

With opening day looming at Fenway, it's rumored that Paul's Perkies will be catching the first pitch. There are two of course, therefore, it's also rumored that Pedro and Mariano will do the honors. Mariano being a perennial fan fav since the 2004 season and continues to enjoy rock star status among the Fenway Faithful. What ever happened to Ellsbury??

Now that the humor is out of the way. I suspect the team will have an excellent year...some faces come, some faces go, it's part of the game of pro baseball. I was disappointed to see Kelly go to LA and not disappointed to see Kimbrel out price himself in such a thin market for closers. I suspect he's headed to Atlanta...because I live here (well, 80 miles from Atlanta), I get the local hooplah about Kimbrel...who knows. Look for Brazier to become the new closer.

Changes are a comin' for next year, and maybe not for the best. I think Pedroia could become a liability at 2nd, all he's gotta do is tweak that knee again. Holt is ready to take 2nd permanently. Pitching should hold up well, and I think the team as a whole is pretty solid. The catching fiasco should find Leon gone and Vasquez and Swihart should prevail...this finally gives Swihart a chance to excel as opposed to being tossed into the fray late in the game. He was slowly dying on the vine.

The 3 Bs in the outfield will bring more stellar play to the game, solid as ever...things will change there next year methinks. I predict Betts will go for huge $$ and look for JD to play the outfield a bit more and if signed, permanently.

I have the MLB package, so I'll see my fair share of games...not all, or I'd be getting a certified letter in the mail from some dude who calls himself esq at the end of his name. B) Got some International trips coming up and plan to do some road trips as well, so, I'll kinda be in and out. Might not post as much, but I'll know the scores...somehow. Isn't that why God made "smart phones"??

Here's to a great season...and for those who remember Curt Gowdy..."hey neighbor, have a Gansett"...and pristine summers at the Cape, Winni, or wherever in NE, with that little transistor radio listening to the Red Sox, Williams, Jensen, Parnell, Kiely, White, etal, what a time that was!!! Magical, just MAGICAL.

Best to all,
    Al

• Options

Good to hear from you Al. Those times were magical although not all the games were very memorable as I remember sitting over by third base and could have my choice of seats as there were only a few hundred fans seated for the game back in 1960.

• Options

Glad the resigned Sale, hopefully he stays healthy

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sale would benefit from an occasional skipped start. All of them would. Think of the mileage they could get out of Eovaldi with more rest. Got to be on Cora's agenda

• Options

Cora seems to know what he is doing for sure. He did not start his good pitchers until the end of spring training making use of all the minor leaguers to see what each had. He was not worried about losing a lot of games early on. Now its full blast as the season is upon us.
    Go Sox!

• Options

It's being reported that Sandy Leon has been placed on wavers. That is sure the logical move as he has the hardware for the job but has not been able to hit a lick. Too bad but thats the business of baseball and he will go away with a hefty $2 + million dollars for the year. Not too shabby a going away present.

• Options

The opening day is upon us.

GO SOX!

• Options

Absolutely GO SOX!!!

• Options

FINALLY!!! today is the day. now we have to wait all day long.

• Options

Sale getting slapped tonight 😝

• Options

Not too concerned just yet. He only threw 9 innings in spring training. Hopefully the command comes

• Options

Yea I’m not concerned either, it’s opening day. Plenty more ball to be played

• Options

If my memory is correct the Red Sox lost the first game in 04 and 07 also.

• Options

It was an ESPN game for me and I suspect for most everyone else...therefore, with ARod and the lady announcing, it was a huge downer for me. Can't stand his voice, nor his lame quips along the way. The lady does nothing for me. So, I maybe caught a Benintendi AB and the Betts hustle in the outfield...tuned out and went to Amazon Prime to catch a Poirot. ARod struggled to remember where he was, calling the newly named ball field "Safeco Park"...nice prep work, then (as I read the comments), they played a game where they got dinged for calling it Safeco Park instead of T-Mobile park...at $10 a pop, he was quickly down $30. Ho hum.

Why on earth ESPN hired the likes of ARod and worse yet, ESPNs rehiring of Keith Olbermann, who is as sarcastic as it comes, makes me yearn for the sound of screeching nails on a chalkboard. He, who wanted to make the life of a Mississippi turkey hunter "a living hell for the rest of his life"...Olbermann was forced to apologize for such nonesense and was warned about any future personal attacks. Just don't like the guy.

So, the game (as I look at the stats) looks like a blowout. Only one game, 161 to go. HOWEVER, leaving 9 RISP and getting 11 hits, with Sale imploding early, do we chalk that up to West coast noise, or something else? Where was Pedroia?

Give them their due, they ate our lunch and worse yet, drank our beer as well.

The Yankee faithful must be in heaven today, Yanks in first place, Red Sox in last...things will change.

• Options

pedroiaś knee is not ready. starting on IR

• Options

I do not have the volume on when it is espy but did not watch too much of that game anyway as the president was speaking.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice comeback and great debut as the new closer by Barnes

• Options

That was shades of 2018.

• Options

Well, so much for the plan of not over working the starters in spring training, lets hope they can get better as they go along.

• Options

Ineffective, poorly played game. ERod was obviously struggling, but Cora left him in one batter too many. 5 ERs in 4+ innings is not gonna cut it. Even with the Mariners 3rd baseman giving them late inning gifts, they couldn't score the winning run. 2-11 RISP, is not defending WS champions calibre baseball.

Red Sox starters Chris Sale, Nathan Eovaldi and Rodriguez have given up 20 hits and 18 earned runs in the series. Not good!

The only good news is that today's game is on at 4PM Eastern...other than that, I'm unimpressed with this team's pitching. One run losses add up quickly in October.

• Options

It's early yet. One problem with not working them in ST is they aren't ready come opening day. The ffirsst 2/3 starts are effectively ST starts

• Options

@craig44 said:
    It's early yet. One problem with not working them in ST is they aren't ready come opening day. The ffirsst 2/3 starts are effectively ST starts

Correct! Isn't that supposed to be the prime function of ST? What harm to pitch them a few innings here and there? Why waste precious games to get "warmed up"?

I know it's "early yet", but Sale, Evoldi and ERod aren't getting it done. Time will tell.

Ok, I'll chalk this up to too much northwest seafood.

• Options

Well, they lost 3 out of 4...and won the only game by a miracle 3-run homer by Moreland. Could easily have been swept.

Every starter was hammered for at least 5 runs. Hate to say it, the Orioles are playing much better baseball, they beat the Yankees again today, IN Yankee stadium.

Better find the solution quickly, or, at this rate it's gonna be a very, very long season.

• Options

The hitting can not bail them out every day. they come close but Vasquez hitting in that spot was not a good decision for the manager to make. He should not have put a pinch runner in and used him to hit for Vazquez . Hopefully the pitchers will work their way out of this and the hitting will keep going or this will be a long season like Al says.