Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 Boston Red Sox official thread

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Dombrowski is gone and good riddance. I hope they don't pick another idiot like they have been doing like the last two.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, with 15 games to go, the season for the Red Sox will soon mercifully end. So much talent and not even a competitive ending. The writing was on the wall months ago, when so many key hits with RISP did not materialize to win 1 or 2 run deficits to opponents.

I suspect changes are in the future...my guesses...Betts will be traded as he'll be asking for $30m per, might as well get something before he can bolt. The Red Sox are still saddled with crazy money owned to non-playing current/former players. Sandoval, Castillo and Pedroia are owed a king's ransom and never again will pick up a bat. Holt will be gone as well.

I think the well will be dry for a few seasons, with a mediocre team performance. The ongoing pitching situation will hinder the team's excelling as they did in 2018.

All the vacations have been long planned by the players, the season end can't come soon enough for them. They may be somewhat emotionally attached to Fenway, but their wallets are more than fat enough to compensate for any disappointments. They'll just vaporize into Italy, New Zealand or wherever they won't be recognized and live the good life. Still the Fenway Faithful will return next April with high hopes, which, IMO, will not be realized for some time to come.

I'm glad my Directv Extra Innings package will disappear and reduce my bill. That's about the most positive thing I can say about the 2019 Red Sox.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Well, with 15 games to go, the season for the Red Sox will soon mercifully end. So much talent and not even a competitive ending. The writing was on the wall months ago, when so many key hits with RISP did not materialize to win 1 or 2 run deficits to opponents.

I suspect changes are in the future...my guesses...Betts will be traded as he'll be asking for $30m per, might as well get something before he can bolt. The Red Sox are still saddled with crazy money owned to non-playing current/former players. Sandoval, Castillo and Pedroia are owed a king's ransom and never again will pick up a bat. Holt will be gone as well.

I think the well will be dry for a few seasons, with a mediocre team performance. The ongoing pitching situation will hinder the team's excelling as they did in 2018.

All the vacations have been long planned by the players, the season end can't come soon enough for them. They may be somewhat emotionally attached to Fenway, but their wallets are more than fat enough to compensate for any disappointments. They'll just vaporize into Italy, New Zealand or wherever they won't be recognized and live the good life. Still the Fenway Faithful will return next April with high hopes, which, IMO, will not be realized for some time to come.

I'm glad my Directv Extra Innings package will disappear and reduce my bill. That's about the most positive thing I can say about the 2019 Red Sox.

I feel your pain on contracts being paid out to those who aren't playing. I think the worst signing the Yankees have ever made was that Ellsbury dude lol. Good Lord. 21 million plus a year for NADA. They have him on the books for another 21 mil for 2020. Thankfully in 2021 there is a 5 million buyout and bye bye. Also, I hate the Stanton contract. Got NOTHING from him either this year and have EIGHT more years at 30 million. God damn ......

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Should they trade Betts if he will not sign a long term contract this winter?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:

Absolutely, if he is not interested in signing a long term
    deal then that simply means he doesn’t want to really be here. We don’t. Red another 200 million dollar guy with a poor work ethic

• Options

@pitboss said:

I have always, and WILL always be against massive "future performance" contracts, that guarantee money for non-performers/slackers, or those who just seem to mail it in. Examples...HanRam, Sandoval aka El Sapo Grande, Rusney Castillo, Ellsbury and Pedroia. The latter two are because of injuries of course. However, the Red Sox (minus Ellsbury) are now saddled with incredible monetary obligations to just this handful of players. Another is Chris Davis of the Orioles, they owe him tons for a single A performance...it goes on and on and on.

As for Betts, he will demand a salary well north of $25m per season. Another burr under my saddle, is how they often tout how much a player makes "per year"...the season is merely 6 months long, not a year. Starts in April and ends in September. If your team gets into the playoffs, there is more money to be had. Imagine making a million bucks a WEEK for playing baseball 3 hours a day, 6 days a week!! Yeah, all the prep, blah, blah.

Betts is a very talented player, but not worth breaking the bank over. I say trade him while his value is still high, shore up the dismal pitching staff.

I think the Red Sox will look vastly different next year. Moreland will be gone, Holt will be gone, and so will Betts, to name a few. I think Cora did MASSIVE DAMAGE to the team's potential this season by his idiotic move to slow play pitchers in Spring Training. Cora should hit the door as well, his managerial style as a Mr Softie, inexperienced and inept. The Red Sox should never have ended this season with close to 20 games out. And while I'm at it, what exactly does LaRussa do?

GO PATRIOTS

• Options

I am glad to hear your responses on Betts asI feel the same way. Tampa Bay is a good example of how to run a team with good management. They would do well out of Florida where they would get a better fan base. The Sox problem is higher management feels the only way to win is to buy their way to a winning season and it does not always work just look at the Red Sox and Phillies as prime examples.
    Betts will either bring some good young talent to the Sox this year or next year be a free agent and they will end up getting maybe a draft pick for him.
    As for Larussa I have never figured out what he does for the sox except collect a paycheck every week and Cora is not a what the Red Sox need.
    Unless severe changes are made I do not plan to purchase the baseball package next year.

• Options

One last comment...Dumbrowski got the toss because (as I understand the situation), he all but decimated the farm system. He hired his best bud, LaRussa, who just seems to sit there and goes on all the road trips, blah, blah. His input whatever the hell it is, has obviously not resulted in any modicum of improvement for the team.

I hate to say it, but I think Benny may be trade bait as well. I also think we're in for some serious time of team rebuilding, and one person I'd designated for assignment would be one Alex Cora...he, who snubbed a WH visit because he (and others) didin't think the President didn't do enough for Puerto Rico...he could have showed, then gone over to Walter Reed to spend time with the Veterans, but he chose to be selfish, when a few hours of his precious time would have meant a lot to those with horrible injuries, some of which could possibly have been Puerto Rican citizens. NO, I don't care to care into politics, just exposing the shallow character of an inept and self-centered person.

Soon the team will end the season against the Orioles in Fenway. They'll have to stare at that dismal number on the scoreboard that shows how far they fell this year...then again, no doubt first class tickets to some pretty cool places await soon after the season. It's a business, not really a ton of loyalty...like the Tom Cruise movie..."show me the money"

I'm done here.

GO PATRIOTS

• Options

This is also my last post as this season is over.
    Cora has to go. The new general manager is not going to want him anyway.
    I hope others show their disdain for them by not re-newing their baseball package for next year.
    Good luck to the Patriots this year,
    I will not be starting this post next year so hope the Sox do something intelligent this winter but I doubt it.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:

For what? Major league talent or prospects? If the latter, you realize that you have no plan to win in 2020. IMO, John Henry will be fielding an awfully expensive team if he has no intent to win, or even make the playoffs. Also, keep in mind the only places you can trade Betts on a one year contract are those that think he's the difference between making the playoffs or not, or winning the World Series or not. There is a very limited market, and most of the teams in that position (Mets?) aren't going to want to break up the major league team or don't have strong farm assets to give up.

• Options

I predict that they will resign Betts.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they trade Betts and get prospects in return. Some team will consider a one year shot at the postseason worth the risk.

Hope Martinez walks too. Money should go to Devers if it is going to anyone on the current team

• Options

I would prefer they do exactly that but we shall see.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you are the Yankees from the 1920s to 1964, before there was free agency, and you could keep guys like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle and Berra locked up with the reserve clause, winning every season is impossible. Red Sox fans are spoiled. Just think of what it would be like to have been a Philly fan in 1979. The team came into existence in 1883 and never won a World Series to that point. In fact, they had only played and lost in two of them.

Things can suck a lot worse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Unless you are the Yankees from the 1920s to 1964, before there was free agency, and you could keep guys like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle and Berra locked up with the reserve clause, winning every season is impossible. Red Sox fans are spoiled. Just think of what it would be like to have been a Philly fan in 1979. The team came into existence in 1883 and never won a World Series to that point. In fact, they had only played and lost in two of them.

Things can suck a lot worse.

Winning every season is not impossible but it is tougher with free agency: The Yankees last losing season was 1992. They have had 27 consecutive winning seasons since then! The thing with the Sox is that in 2018, everything came together perfectly and buying JD Martinez was the icing on the cake. They still had a winning 2019 though at 84-78.
    Hard to believe they finished 19 games behind the Yankees this year, especially after finishing 8 games ahead of them in 2018. That's a 27 game swing in one year.

Daniel
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019 4:20AM

When I used the term “winning,” I was referring to winning it all, including the World Series. I did not just mean something over a .500 record.

Didn’t the Yankees win five World Series in a row from the late ‘40s to the early ‘50s? I don’t think that’s going to happen again. It’s not just free agency. There are now multiple layers of playoff series to win. To win a championship, you not only have to be good; you also usually have to get some breaks too.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    When I used the term “winning,” I was referring to winning it all, including the World Series. I did not just mean something over a .500 record.

Didn’t the Yankees win five World Series in a row from the late ‘40s to the early ‘50s? I don’t think that’s going to happen again. It’s not just free agency. There are now multiple layers of playoff series to win. To win a championship, you not only have to be good; you also usually have to get some breaks too.

Easier to be best of 16 teams than best of 30.