Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 Boston Red Sox official thread

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rumor has it they are close to extending xander for 6 years 120 million

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

That would be a good signing. Xander has been very nervous about going into free agency and these idiots that bounce from one team to another for the extra dollars are just greedy. How much money does a person need in life? Being happy with a team would be of utmost importance to me.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too early to talk “Long Season” in my opinion, Once the starters get warmed up we will know more. GO SOX!!!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Too early to talk “Long Season” in my opinion, Once the starters get warmed up we will know more. GO SOX!!!

Paul...that's my point exactly. Cora decided not to use Spring Training to "warm up" their starters, and it shows. The starters look inept and more like a Lowell Spinners squad. Only a miracle HR by Moreland kept the Sox from being swept. One need only look at the PATHETIC stats to clearly analyze the folly of Cora's decision with regard to his pitching staff. The bats alone can't bail us out. The prime purpose of ST is to get the team ready to play, not after the MLB season begins and use those games as warm ups. I DO NOT agree with Cora's decision to sit the starting pitching staff for whatever reason.

We had a nice cushy 3-0 lead and boom...off we go.

I give the team a C- at this point...it is what it is. We'll see what Price does in Oakland. Last place AL East!!

• Options
    edited April 1, 2019 5:29AM

AL, I understand your point. I’d rather the starters get light work in training and be a little rusty first week of season than get too much work in March and be worn out down the stretch. You got to remember these guys are coddled wimps, they get a little bruise that most of us would just shrug off and off they go to that ridiculous “Day to Day” status or just take a paid vacation and go on the DL

• Options

I hope I am wrong but I will be surprised if Price doesn't give up at least 6 runs today. I hope the sox bats are in good shape today.

• Options

I guess I was wrong, he only gave up 4 runs and the sox could not even get even get one.

• Options

So, Cora...how's that easy on the starting pitchers in ST working out for you? Your team is in a serious downward spiral. Can't lay it all at your feet, just maybe 99% because of your idiotic plan to not take advantage of 6 weeks among the palm trees and blue skies. Well, maybe they did get some vitamin D as they just kinda walked around. Maybe you should have just left them in the clubhouse to drink beer and eat chicken. There are ample writers who are questioning your softy approach to ST and the lack of preparation...this is all on you.

Oh yeah...Price gave up THREE dingers. Pls don't give me that crap that they'll get better as the season goes on. Only by the Grace of God are we 1-4, this team deserves to be 0-5.

Beginning to regret I got the MLB package. I think I'll focus on enjoyable things to do and watch in the evenings...not waste my time on this p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c performance and your suddenly myopic managerial style.

I call it like I see it...and what I see is a poorly prepared starting pitching staff, may you feel the heat!!!

• Options

it hasnt worked. I think they would have been better off getting prepared during ST and letting the starters miss a couple starts toward the end of the year than start out stinking and overworking the pen.

• Options

How bad are they??? Read on:

@TomCaron
    Follow Follow @TomCaron
    More
    Shockingly, this is the worst start by a #RedSox pitcher yet.
    Game 1: Sale 3 IP 7 ER 3 HR
    Game 2: Eovaldi 5 IP 6 ER 3 HR
    Game 3: Rodriguez 4.1 IP 6 R/5 ER 1 HR
    Game 4: Porcello: 2.2 IP 9 R/7ER 1 HR
    Mercy.

And, let's add in last night's Price implosion, 3 hrs.

Don't give me look at last year, or they'll come around. The team is awful, just plain awful and deserve to be in last place!!!

• Options

I don't think we need to run off the rails this early. They will pitch better. The staff is essentially in the third week of ST because of the hole cora out them in.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

a tough early season for the RedSox.

• Options

It was an encouraging result from Sale. I didnt get to see the game though (hate left coast games). Does anyone know what his velocity was? I am guessing low 90ś as there were only 6 swings and misses I believe. If the velocity never comes back I hope he can adjust and still be a quality pitcher. I see no reason a lefty with his length cant be very successful with low 90ś stuff pitching to contact.

• Options

He was in the high 80's to low 90's. I watched it until the end of the 6th and thought Sale did much better than the last outing but another one run loss. The hitting right now is not good for sure, This is a rough trip to start the season.

• Options

It is a long trip for sure. 11 days to start the season. I figured Velo was low as there were so few swinging strikes. I know they will never release it, but I sure would like to know what happened to that shoulder last summer to turn Sale from Randy Johnson into Tom Glavine.

• Options

Hopefully he has the ability to overcome the lack of high velocity .

• Options

Why the big deal over Sale? Velocity or not, he gave up the winning run, a HR in the fist inning.

I think you're missing the dismal fact that the team is 1/6 and without Moreland's HR, they'd be 0/6. Lack of team preparedness on the part of Cora has put this team in a very deep hole. His myopic thought process of not playing his pitching starting staff during ST is a direct result of what we see...the bats are suddenly not happening either.

In other news...the Orioles could be the team to beat!!

• Options

I agree 100% about cora not having the staff prepared. The team will hit. I have no doubt about that.

Sale may have given up 1 run in 6, but I would take that everyday.

concern over Sales Velocity is real though. If he is topping out low 90´s in april, he will not be able to reach that come playoff time when the arm is tired. how effective can he be topping out high 80´s? I have no idea

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Why the big deal over Sale? Velocity or not, he gave up the winning run, a HR in the fist inning.

I think you're missing the dismal fact that the team is 1/6 and without Moreland's HR, they'd be 0/6. Lack of team preparedness on the part of Cora has put this team in a very deep hole. His myopic thought process of not playing his pitching starting staff during ST is a direct result of what we see...the bats are suddenly not happening either.

In other news...the Orioles could be the team to beat!!

How about the Rays? They have excellent pitching.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I agree 100% about cora not having the staff prepared. The team will hit. I have no doubt about that.

Sale may have given up 1 run in 6, but I would take that everyday.

concern over Sales Velocity is real though. If he is topping out low 90´s in april, he will not be able to reach that come playoff time when the arm is tired. how effective can he be topping out high 80´s? I have no idea

I understand your point...however, the bigger picture is the team as a whole. I am not one to rah, rah the team when they are playing as poorly as they are. They are being paid millions and millions to play a kid's game 3 hours a day, 6 days a week (sometimes less, like the London thing, among others), 6 months a year. They're off from October to March, that covers Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and might as well toss in Valentine's Day...we should be so lucky!! They live like kings!

That's the fallacy of paying big money in contracts that appear to promise future performance...Fat Boy and HanRam and many others prove this point...

Check this link out...all you gotta do is click on a player and see his stats so far...DO look especially at the starting rotation. Thanks Cora!!! :(

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/?c_id=bos

• Options

Cora has definitely screwed the pooch for the rotation, at least early on. I hate how pitchers are babied so much in the modern game. I miss the guys who went out and gave 240-300 innings. It is like a cardinal sin to make a guy throw more than 100 pitches now. good grief.

• Options

It is about time they let Sweihart do some of the catching as he has proven he is the better hitter. They have been ignoring him for too long.

• Options

The team had 9 hits and Swihart had 3 of them. I fell asleep in the 4th inning but will watch the rest of the game this morning before todays game comes on. Nice comeback! They needed that one.

• Options

sometimes all it takes is a lucky bounce to get a winning streak rolling

• Options

what the heck is going on with the offense????

• Options

It is the whole team that just plain sucks! Even Betts and Bradley were screwing up. This manager better get a grip on things quickly. Todays game was the worst yet.

• Options

Man, that was ugly...

• Options

I don't care to pile on, but something is definitely wrong with the team as a whole.

When you provide a guaranteed income, you give up the incentive to excel. Paying these people millions and millions per season (DON'T SAY PER YEAR), it's 6 months of playing a kid's game. Do the math and see what some of these guys get paid per AB....it's crazy. Just Google what the Red Sox still owe and are paying El Sapo Gordo, (the fat toad), aka Sandoval. INSANITY!! And he's not the only one.

You can say "it's early", "they'll get better", "it's a long season", blah, blah. But, we're talking about a WS defending champion, not an expansion team, or a single A ball club. They are playing very poorly (I'm being kind) and at some point things have to turn around, or they will all catch the flu as the funk permeates the team as a whole. They're in a very deep hole...think they don't read the sports page? You bet they do...they have to absorb the boos and jeers...this won't help the situation, but they are all much deserved.

2 for 8 ain't gonna cut it and had it not been for Moreland's HR, it could very easily be 1 for 9. They better get on a winning streak, or you can kiss any possible repeat adios.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the way the NFL does contracts. Have guaranteed money, I get that. Don't guarantee the whole thing, I like that even better. That's a win win there.

• Options

and another loss tonight to the lowly DBacks.

• Options

Well, let's see, so much to comment on, but I'll just hit the low lights, as there are no high lights to discuss.

Porcello perhaps threw his worst low light of his career...4.2 innings before the mercy rule kicked into Cora's brain and he pulled him. WOW, Rick...10 hits, 7 ERs, and 2 dingers. Your ERA is now a crushing 13.50. Well, you did hit a dugout high light with the destruction of the water cooler. Throwing your little tantrum (ahhh...big tantrum), with no regard for your fellow teammates as you flung that thing. Not that you have to clean up the mess of course...shades of Ortiz killing the bullpen phone at Camden Yards with a bat. Grow up, you sucked and it showed.

The GS by the lowly Dbacks was the final nail. Cora looked like he just saw his dog get hit by a school bus. Congrats to Marte, he hit a laser to make it 12-1...demoralizing in any game. Oopsie, Vargas hits a dinger with one on to really cement the deal at 14-1.

I suspect some statistician is formulating just how bad the stats are for this WS defending team. With a record now of 2/9 and a percentile of .222, the team is rapidly challenging the Mendoza line for ineptitude. Geez, all those millions and millions and millions don't buy what they used to. The good news, which really ain't good, is that the Cubs and Reds are performing worse than the Red Sox, at a stunning .143. Another loss today and they may well be the Champs of the Cellar, or close to it.

So, keep tossing crap around the dugout, keep letting fly balls drop between 2 or 3 of the Bs, and, oh yeah, maybe Cora should have worked his starters a bit more in ST when he had the chance.

FIFTEEN TO EIGHT!!! :o:o

Chance favors the prepared mind
    Louis Pasteur

• Options
    edited April 6, 2019 4:28PM

I hate it when grown men throw baby fits and destroy equipment and dugouts. Grow up. If I was the manager, they would be forced to clean up their own mess and issue an apology post game for acting like a baby.

• Options

I question Cora's not pitch hitting for Vasquez with men on base. He is not hitting a lick this year so far.

• Options

@Barndog said:
    I do like the way the NFL does contracts. Have guaranteed money, I get that. Don't guarantee the whole thing, I like that even better. That's a win win there.

Agreed 100%

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I hate it when grown men throw baby fits and destroy equipment and dugouts. Grow up. If I was the manager, they would be forced to clean up their own mess and issue an apology post game for acting like a baby.

Cleaning up after themselves might be too much 🙄

• Options

Well, well, we have officially hit the iceberg and may not survive.
    Now at a PALTRY .200, only exceeded by the worst of the worst Reds, who's numbers are incredibly horrible, at .125!

from MLB baseball:
    Red Sox fall, tie worst start in team history at 2-8
    The Diamondbacks handed the Red Sox their third straight loss, dropping Boston to 2-8, matching the worst start through 10 games in franchise history.

Keep in mind that had not Moreland homered in the 9th, and Betts' grounder bounced into center field, they would be a mind-blowing 0-10. Kinda puts a damper on the Tuesday ring ceremony. Of course Cora won't discipline anyone, he's a buddy, buddy kinda dude, who "understands" the frustration...BS on that. We need a Dick Williams kinda manager who is gonna put a little fear of God in these millionaires. They are paid to perform, they are supposed to be the best of the best, they are now IMO, the worst of the worst.

I'd embarrass the crap out of all of them and bring up the Lowell Spinners to start the game Tuesday and sit everyone of these bajillionaires who can't seem to find their way.

I hope it snows in Boston on Tuesday.

• Options

Well, they may win the game, but a few outs to go yet...

Is Saltalamacchia the worst broadcaser you've ever heard? He has an opinion for everything, mundane and pointless...oh yeah, dump the man bun, it ain't workin' for you Salty.

• Options

Moreland wins again !

• Options

@pitboss said:
    Moreland wins again !

he's got to be the only one in positive territory insofar as WAR is concerned ;)

• Options

Moreland 2
    pure luck 1
    team 0

Overall pathetic

• Options

I agree that they have been pathetic but I consider management and their stupid decisions for their bad start. They, hopefully, will make a comeback from a disastrous start. Right now its time to head for some banks to look for boxes of quarters and see if I can come up with those w's that are out there. I cant control what the Red Sox do so I may as well do some work with coins,

• Options

Well, opening day at the Fens...same team, same results. 2 on, nobody out, bottom of the 9th...CHOKE. Lost 7-5

Moreland 2
    luck 1
    team 0

Now 3 for 12, sinking like a stone and last place.

I'm going trout fishing tomorrow in north Georgia. Supposed to be a beautiful day, I'll enjoy the outdoors immensely.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the math people , 162 games each at least 3 hours. Its like the most boring part time job you ever had but Friday you don't get a check. You sit 20 hours a week watching this dreck , possibly even paying to see it. And players make tens of thousands per game , suckers :D

The regular season is now the pre season , I hate to break it to you but its been that way for a while. baseball is dead , why y'all keep watching ? Most of us watch the playoffs only , a few watch some of the regular season but there are people apparently that watch spring training :D Gluttons for punishment

Cora had to give the pitchers all this extra time off because they fell apart last year , in spit of that DUMBrowski paid sale and he sucks already , he couldn't even wait and fall apart in August hes doing it in April. Both months begin with the letter A so whatever.

• Options

The players should be embarrassed.

Fortunately for me, I’ve had too much going on with work and daughter’s volleyball to watch more than two hours combined of Sox so far this year

• Options

I’m not at all suprised at this slow start, it’s a hangover from last seasons WS Win, they had such an incredible 2018 they are all probably still wallowing in it 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

What get me is that the scheduler put the Red Sox on the road for the first 11 games. Half the teams have to open on the road, but I thought that in the very early season teams got the opening day home game soon after the beginning of the season. It almost seems like the baseball establishment wanted the Red Sox to get off to a bad start.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    What get me is that the scheduler put the Red Sox on the road for the first 11 games. Half the teams have to open on the road, but I thought that in the very early season teams got the opening day home game soon after the beginning of the season. It almost seems like the baseball establishment wanted the Red Sox to get off to a bad start.

Well, it did snow after the opening day game...I suspect the lovely New England weather in April may have had something to do with the schedule.

• Options

Another lackluster start from Porcello.

• Options

Men left on base and very sloppy play will not get you into the playoffs.
    I will not bother to name names for you can all see what is happening.
    Not much fun to watch.