Home Sports Talk

Philadelphia Eagles 2018 season

stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2019 12:47AM in Sports Talk

Philadelphia Eagles 2018 road to the Super Bowl

Well, we had a storybook ending last season which is going to be tough to beat. That being said, we shall try. :)

Carson Wentz certainly enjoyed getting a Super Bowl ring. However I'm sure that he would have liked to have won the big game himself. So let's see if Wentz can win a Super Bowl for us this season, realizing how hard it is for a team to win back to back Super Bowls.

Also wishing that Doug Pederson doesn't rush Wentz back too soon from the injury.

The Falcons come into the Linc for the NFL opener which should be an interesting game.

I think Nick Foles has a good performance and the Eagles win this game.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow night should be a cakewalk for the Eagles,just keep throwing it to #9 in the corner of the endzone. ;)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Dirty Birds! :):o;)B)

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

another superbowl team that misses the playoffs the next year. Dandy doug pederson will give Wentz back his starting job and disaster will ensue.

Break Rule 1 and suffer the consequences . Rule 1 by the way for those of you that don't know, "never put a ginger in charge of anything" Also known as the Dalton rule

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Tomorrow night should be a cakewalk for the Eagles,just keep throwing it to #9 in the corner of the endzone. ;)

That was one heckuva call.

I'm sure that Bill Belichick has had a few nightmares in the off season over that play. LOL

@DIMEMAN said:

Jon - I'd wish your Cowboys good luck, but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. ;)

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I'm sure that Bill Belichick has had a few nightmares in the off season over that play. LOL

I know Tom Brady still does after his dropped reception earlier in the game.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I know Steve and you know I am for the Cowboys and anybody who plays the Eagles. :o;)B)

@bronco2078 said:
    another superbowl team that misses the playoffs the next year. Dandy doug pederson will give Wentz back his starting job and disaster will ensue.

Break Rule 1 and suffer the consequences . Rule 1 by the way for those of you that don't know, "never put a ginger in charge of anything" Also known as the Dalton rule

<<< another superbowl team that misses the playoffs the next year. >>>

It's possible. In the NFL almost anything is possible.

We shall know, one way or the other, in approximately 17 weeks. ;)

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I know Tom Brady still does after his dropped reception earlier in the game.

Eric, at least you acknowledge that play with Brady.

Perkdog has blocked that play from his memory as though it never happened. LOL

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I know Steve and you know I am for the Cowboys and anybody who plays the Eagles. :o;)B)

Now Jon that is a very mean spirited thing to say about America's team. Not the old version from the antiquated Dallas Cowboys. Of course i'm referring to the new modern superior version of America's team, the Philadelphia Eagles. B)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

No respect. The Eagles are one point underdogs at home

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

m

Go Falcons!

@Justacommeman said:

m

I guess you stated that "one point underdogs" presuming that the books normally give the home team 3 points in NFL football when creating a line.

I think they are basing a lot of it on the poor pre-season performance by Foles.

Foles was just playing in first or second gear in the preseason. He should be in third gear tomorrow night.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The line is Atlanta -1

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Go Falcons!

You're beginning to make me very angry Jon. If you're not careful, i'm going to stop giving you "likes" for your beautiful quarter pics posted in the coin forum.

;)

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Go Falcons!

You're beginning to make me very angry Jon. If you're not careful, i'm going to stop giving you "likes" for your beautiful quarter pics posted in the coin forum.

;)

Whats a dimeman know about quarters? He's living a lie man. A zebra can't change its spots .

@Justacommeman said:
    The line is Atlanta -1

m

That's quite a move on a game, especially the first game of the season, that's going to receive a lot of action.

Last time i looked it was Eagles -2 and the game opened Eagles -4.

One thing I noticed, it seems like almost every media pundit and their brother is picking the Falcons.

I'll be cheering those Dirty Birds on! :)

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Go Falcons!

;)

Whats a dimeman know about quarters? He's living a lie man. A zebra can't change its spots .

Dimeman's taste in coins is impeccable. One of the best I've ever seen.

It's just too bad that his taste in NFL football teams isn't nearly as good. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'll be cheering those Dirty Birds on! :)

Jon whatever you do, don't attempt the dirty bird dance.

At your advanced age, didn't you vote for Lincoln, you might hurt yourself. ;)

I'll take your advice.....I don't want to hurt myself. ;) I have side rails on my chair so I won't fall out when I get excited. ;)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t care who wins as long as Freeman does well for my fantasy squad :s

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Eagle’s offense is flat. You would think it would be better give that this is not Foles’ first rodeo.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

They just took a catch away from Jones!

@DIMEMAN said:

Yep! We got lucky.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

That was almost as bad as the Bryant catch..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Well it certainly wasn't a pretty performance by Nick Foles. However the Eagles defense was tenacious, and overall the team did enough to get the win by a score of 18-12.

The last series of downs for the Eagles defense was memorable. The Falcons had first and goal, from the ten yard line with around 24 seconds left on the clock. Plenty of time to get off four pass plays if needed, which had to be thrown in the end zone. A completion in the end zone for the Falcons would have basically won the game for them, with a successful extra point kick.

Fortunately, each of the four passes fell incomplete. However a dubious interference penalty against the Eagles on the fourth down play, gave the Falcons one more chance to get the touchdown. The Eagles defense responded, not allowing a Falcons reception. Time ran out and the Eagles earned a nice home opener win.

The Eagles now get a ten day rest before playing a road game against the Buccaneers.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matt Ryan is awful, he absolutely cannot handle a tight game. He gets sacked before he throws the ball away at the most crucial times. I feel bad for Atlanta’s D they played very well. Good game by Philly, they stepped up when it mattered

@perkdog said:
    Matt Ryan is awful, he absolutely cannot handle a tight game. He gets sacked before he throws the ball away at the most crucial times. I feel bad for Atlanta’s D they played very well. Good game by Philly, they stepped up when it mattered

Hey that guy was the darling of the league a few years back. Pretty boy QB's with big regular season stats that can't win a superbowls are not easy to find. Oh wait those guys are everywhere

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am kinda glad I fell asleep on the couch before the delayed kickoff. Didn't see one minute of the dirty bird fuglyness.

@perkdog said:

Excellent defense at the end there by the Eagles but in all fairness, some lousy play calling by the Falcons,

I mean Ryan was throwing the ball as if it was early in the game and didn't want an interception. In that situation, you need to quickly and accurately just gun the ball in there from the ten yard line, and hope your receiver grabs it. And if it gets picked off, then it gets picked off...you're gonna lose the game anyway if ya don't score there so an interception doesn't matter.

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Excellent defense at the end there by the Eagles but in all fairness, some lousy play calling by the Falcons,

Congrats on the win,I only caught the first quarter but the Philly D looked ready to play on those two goal line stands early where the Falcons came away with just 3 points.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

What with the incoming bad weather causing a starting time delay, I thought it might portend a bad omen. But it all worked out for the Eagles in the end. Felt it was only appropriate/fair that Foles started the game having contributed to the SB win.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good start by the Eagles yesterday. The rain delay was really bogus, though. It's football - they play in all kinds of weather.

Daniel

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Good start by the Eagles yesterday. The rain delay was really bogus, though. It's football - they play in all kinds of weather.

It's not the rain that stopped the game.....it is the chance of lightning.

Yea, but the Eagles make that play work. Unlike the feeble handed Tom Brady.

Brady is lucky he became a quarterback. Because he couldn't be a receiver in a pee-wee football league. ;)

edited September 7, 2018 9:46AM

He's now known as Tom "Butterfingers" Brady after that dropped pass,luckily his speed & agility make up for his bad hands. ;)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 11:07AM

I'm sure Steve is going to love me bringing up Brady and the Pats in his Eagles thread, but I couldn't help but think about TB at the end of the game last night. Give him 5 shots from 10 yards in and you're dead. Conversely, you could have given Matt Ryan 10 tries and I'm still not sure the Falcons would have scored. Sure, he can spin it to Julio in open space between the 20s, but when quarters get tight in the red zone and a precise, measured throw is required, I'm just never under the impression that he has what it takes to make a play.

OTOH, the Eagles' defense played brilliantly. Kept them in the game while the offense was sputtering, and essentially won it at the end.

I have always thought Matt Ryan was overrated. He kind of reminds me of Tony "the choker" Romo.

@galaxy27 said:
    I'm sure Steve is going to love me bringing up Brady and the Pats in his Eagles thread, but I couldn't help but think about TB at the end of the game last night. Give him 5 shots from 10 yards in and you're dead. Conversely, you could have given Matt Ryan 10 tries and I'm still not sure the Falcons would have scored. Sure, he can spin it to Julio in open space between the 20s, but when quarters get tight in the red zone and a precise, measured throw is required, I'm just never under the impression that he has what it takes to make a play.

OTOH, the Eagles' defense played brilliantly. Kept them in the game while the offense was sputtering, and essentially won it at the end.

I agree with ya!

To be honest, I had an "Oh chit" moment when the stinking ref threw a cheap flag, on that fourth down play. That ridiculous penalty moved the ball to the five yard line with one second left on the game clock.

i'll admit the thought crossed my mind right after that ref's cheap call, that the Eagles overall had a remarkable run of good luck last season winning the Super Bowl with a backup QB, second year head coach, etc, and now the good luck may have run out.

In my opinion, the ONLY call in that situation was a quick slant to the tight end. I drew a sigh of relief when Ryan didn't do that, and threw the fade which I was virtually certain as soon as Ryan threw it, that it wouldn't be successful.

The Eagles come off a ten day rest to head down to Tampa Bay to face the Buccaneers.

The Bucs coming off a big offensive effort, scoring 48 points in winning their season opener.

Jim Schwartz, the Eagles unheralded secret weapon, who in my opinion is the best defensive coordinator in the league, finds a way to keep the Bucs in check, enough so that Nick Foles can score enough points to get the Eagles the win.

The Eagles should be 2-0 after this Sunday's game.

Bucs QB is no good should be easy

@bronco2078 said:
    Bucs QB is no good should be easy

I don't disagree with ya.

I think that Fitzpatrick is more likely to bounce off that effort last week, than he is to sustain it.

Winston is a perfect example of a QB the media wants to be great , and thinks if they just keep saying he is good he will be. He is like Tebow , but without the positive qualities :D

@bronco2078 said:
    Winston is a perfect example of a QB the media wants to be great , and thinks if they just keep saying he is good he will be. He is like Tebow , but without the positive qualities :D

If Fitzpatrick plays well in the next 2 games, I would think that it's possible that he might win the starting job. But I'm not 100% sure - I don't follow the Bucs all that closely.

@bronco2078 said:

Winston won’t be the quarterback. He is on a suspension. The back-up who had a huge game last week will start instead.

So far Eagles have been flat as a pancake in this game. The pass defense is pathetic, and offense has not done much better. Without some halftime adjustments, this game will is a goner.

Go Tampax Bay!

@BillJones said:
    So far Eagles have been flat as a pancake in this game. The pass defense is pathetic, and offense has not done much better. Without some halftime adjustments, this game will is a goner.

Two 75 yard touchdown plays by Tampa Bay, on the same damn post pattern, with sloppy tackling by the Eagles.

Ugly.

With Wentz in there, I'm not even overly worried at half time. With Foles, I'm worried.

Would be nice to see if that missed extra point comes back to haunt Tampa Bay - may not matter if the Eagles can't step it up.