Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Eagles 2018 season

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Last year was fun; this year forget it. The Eagles players don’t show the same intensity, and when something seems to be going right, a 600 pound defensive linemen has a ball fall in his lap and gets to rumble for a touchdown. Then we have yet another bogus roughing the passer call that hands another touchdown to the Vikings.

I guess you can’t even sack the quarterback now without getting a roughing the passer call. The roughing the passer penalty used to be for after the quarterback threw the ball and was vulnerable. Now he can be holding the ball, getting sacked. These officials are a bunch of clowns who have purple jerseys under their zebra stripes. I’m done with this game. It’s over at halftime.

The wife will be happy tonight. We’ll watch the stuff we taped during our trip to Universal last week.

That was a TOTALLY BOGUS roughing call. He didn't hit the QB low....he was blocked to the ground and then grabbed the legs as a tackle. If you can't do that...….it's not Football any more!!!!!!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Last year was fun; this year forget it. The Eagles players don’t show the same intensity, and when something seems to be going right, a 600 pound defensive linemen has a ball fall in his lap and gets to rumble for a touchdown. Then we have yet another bogus roughing the passer call that hands another touchdown to the Vikings.

I guess you can’t even sack the quarterback now without getting a roughing the passer call. The roughing the passer penalty used to be for after the quarterback threw the ball and was vulnerable. Now he can be holding the ball, getting sacked. These officials are a bunch of clowns who have purple jerseys under their zebra stripes. I’m done with this game. It’s over at halftime.

The wife will be happy tonight. We’ll watch the stuff we taped during our trip to Universal last week.

That sums it up quit well, although I'm not going to overall complain too much about the new bad rules because they are still the same new bad rules for every team.

The Eagles had a magical season in 2017. Without a healthy Carson Wentz out there now, and it's obvious that he's not 100% healthy, this team simply isn't good enough to create any new magic in any other way.

This is an ugly game, and sorry to say there could be more like it coming this season. :/

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:
    Well, so much for any continued idea of the Eagles winning back-to-back Super Bowls.

It was fun while it lasted. :/:/:/:/:/

I wish I was as confident as you about that. The season is still young Steve. ;) Plus this game is NOT over.

With the Eagles loss today, it should give the Cowboys team some good motivation to win their game tonight, and get a full game ahead of the Eagles in the NFC East standings. Whether or not that happens, we shall have to wait and see, because the Cowboys have shown themselves in their recent history of being remarkably adept at blowing opportunities.

One good thing going for the Cowboys this season, is they have a huge chip on their shoulder, and tonight's game result in my opinion, will be a significant indication as how the rest of their season is going to transpire.

• Options
    edited October 7, 2018 3:39PM

The eagles are beating themselves and that can always be fixed. It's not like they don't have the players.

• Options

I think the NFC East will come down to between the Eagles and Cowboys. The Giants can't get out of their own way and the Skins aren't that good to me......I may be wrong.

There is a lot of season left.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    The eagles are beating themselves and that can always be fixed. It's not like the don't have the players.

The Eagles had a healthy Carson Wentz for most of last season, a Nick Foles who is amazingly erratic but when at the top of his game is a winning quarterback, along with great coaching, and all that got them the Super Bowl championship.

The problem with Wentz as clearly stated is obvious, and that throws off everything. The coaches are trying hard, but I just don't see the same expert game planning that i saw last season. The coaching has become tentative, and tentative coaching is NOT championship coaching.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the Eagles loss today,

This game is far from over.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

The Eagles are teasing me again today. I'm not falling for it this time. :|

• Options

I> @grote15 said:

If that was a catch....so was Bryant's a few years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I think the NFC East will come down to between the Eagles and Cowboys. The Giants can't get out of their own way and the Skins aren't that good to me......I may be wrong.

There is a lot of season left.

I agree with ya about the Redskins.

The Giants problems are obvious. As we knew before the season began, drafting Saquon Barkley would help their stats this season, but wouldn't markedly help their won-loss record.

i'd say right now, the Cowboys would have to be considered the favorite to win the NFC East...if...they win tonight's game.

• Options

Teasing me...I refuse to fall for it.

• Options

Another mistake by Wentz at a critical time. Geez...........................

• Options

I knew it, a huge possible game changing fumble recovery, and the Eagles get squat out if it.

• Options

https://youtu.be/Tac9_yIMYRg

Yea, that's better......................................

• Options

Terrible call in the End Zone!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the lost to the "Tennessee Tuxedos" the way they did, you could see that this was not going to be an exciting season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Now we will see if the Cowboys have any life in them! Houston is a pretty good team.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vikings start their run, Vikings are dangerous when Cook is healthy, and he will be back next week

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    Vikings start their run, Vikings are dangerous when Cook is healthy, and he will be back next week

They looked pretty good today.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

That is a penalty before this season, also. Leading with helmet to helmet is called every time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That is a penalty before this season, also. Leading with helmet to helmet is called every time.

I didn't see it as leading with the helmet......just incendential touching of helmet's. Plus the guy was pushed into him. I didn't see it as flagrant and would not have thrown the flag.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I didn't see it as leading with the helmet......just incendential touching of helmet's. Plus the guy was pushed into him. I didn't see it as flagrant and would not have thrown the flag.

It's a penalty 100% of the time the way it went down. Easy call. I don't agree with the roughing the passer penalties but you can't lead with the helmet and make contact helmet to helmet and not expect a flag to be thrown. Even your guy Aikman said so.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It's a penalty 100% of the time the way it went down. Easy call. I don't agree with the roughing the passer penalties but you can't lead with the helmet and make contact helmet to helmet and not expect a flag to be thrown. Even your guy Aikman said so.

Aikman was my man as QB for sure...…..in the booth...….not so much. I just didn't see it as a foul.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was the pink shoes...wrist bands and towels ok...not shoes. B)

Better hope the Giants don't bring their A game Thursday.

• Options

The Giants are going to be fired up Thursday! :o

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    The Giants are going to be fired up Thursday! :o

Should be a good one.

Both teams coming off two straight losses, and both should be hungry for a win.

But i think the Eagles will sneak out of New Jersey with the win.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly just lost Ajayi for the season with a torn ACL.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Philly just lost Ajayi for the season with a torn ACL.

:s

• Options

As expected the Redskins lost so that at least makes things a bit easier.

Perhaps this season the division should be called the NFC "least" in a derogatory manner.

In any event, if the Eagles could win the division sort of by default, at least we get into the playoffs and see what happens from there. Thursday's game result will provide more information as to the playoff possibilities for this season.

There is still hope. Although admittedly, the light is somewhat dim at this point.

Normally one would think that a team coming off a Super Bowl championship, would stomp on any team the following season with a 1-4 record. However this season with the circumstances presented, this Thursday's game is now a must win game for the Eagles.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

_I think Wentz is going to struggle coming back from injury. _

Called it.

I don't think the Eagles will make the playoffs this year.

I did not realize how putrid the NFC East would be so I no longer have confidence the other teams competing with the Eagles for the division crown won't beat themselves. I only think one of the teams in the NFC East will crack 8-8 so that could give Wentz enough time to get his rhythm and confidence back for a late season run.

Robb

• Options

Well so far so good in this game, Eagles ahead 14-3.

i'm just glad the Eagles looked at this game as a must win game, and didn't get overconfident against a 1-4 team which sometimes can happen in the NFL.

The Eagles should apply the hammer, and then get Wentz out of there, and let Foles mop-up.

• Options

Please Doug Pederson, as soon as possible, get Wentz out of this game. He's coming off an ACL tear, and this was a short week, plus he played an OT game two weeks ago...not a good combination.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Please Doug Pederson, as soon as possible, get Wentz out of this game. He's coming off an ACL tear, and this was a short week, plus he played an OT game two weeks ago...not a good combination.

ya get him out of there doug , can't you see he is ginger

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve you sounded like me with Belichek! Please Bill we are up 34-10 with 3 minutes left, please stop Brady from throwing downfield to Gronk!!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Steve you sounded like me with Belichek! Please Bill we are up 34-10 with 3 minutes left, please stop Brady from throwing downfield to Gronk!!

And I'm sure you recall, Brady also had an ACL tear around ten years ago. He rebounded nicely from it, and that gives me hope the same could happen for Carson Wentz.

That being said, I don't understand a coach's reasoning of "overplaying" a star quarterback, particularly when the game is well in hand, and the outcome not in doubt.

But I guess that's why I've worked hard all my life and never achieved more than a minimum wage salary, while Belichick and Pederson make the big bucks. :)

• Options

I’ve questioned that numerous times here and honestly not a ton of posters agree with me. I think Wentz will be fine as long as he doesn’t play reckless and runs only when necessary. The Eagles did what they were supposed to do and beat up a crappy team.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I’ve questioned that numerous times here and honestly not a ton of posters agree with me. I think Wentz will be fine as long as he doesn’t play reckless and runs only when necessary. The Eagles did what they were supposed to do and beat up a crappy team.

I'm still not convinced the Eagles are back to their 2017 form. You're exactly right, they beat up a crappy team, and that's basically all it was. But at least this convincing win against the Giants proved that the 2018 Eagles are a contending team for the playoffs.

Their home game two Sundays from now against the Panthers will be a good indicator of where the Eagles are headed this season.

The key for the Eagles is to keep their eye on the Cowboys in the NFC East. I realize that it's still a bit early, however I think a first round bye is probably going to be unlikely at this point. So the strategy should be to stay healthy, win the NFC East, have a good first playoff game, build some momentum, and take it from there.

I'm not expecting another Super Bowl championship just yet, but the chances of that happening have become a little bit brighter. :)

• Options

Very nice win today against the Panthers.

Future hall of famer Carson Wentz looking better with every outing.

• Options

Steve, they actually have to play the whole game and that is 4 full quarters. 17-14 with more game to go lol

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Steve, they actually have to play the whole game and that is 4 full quarters. 17-14 with more game to go lol

I thought it was a six furlong race.

• Options

I don't Fg believe this.

• Options

I'm going to start watching ice skating instead.

• Options

@stevek said:

Way to put the whammy on your team, Steve, lol..

• Options

Could turn out to be the worst regular season loss in Eagles history for a multitude of reasons. :s

• Options

LOL

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

Way to put the whammy on your team, Steve, lol..

I did - I admit it. :'(

• Options

Anybody got a bottle of Percodan I can borrow?

• Options

Game isn't over yet,they still got time to score a td.

• Options

How about a SD! :)B)

• Options

Well at least you're still ahead of the Giants >:)