Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

He's probably just trying to get his money back after the initial flipping period died down. There may be an initial bump after they officially sell out at the Mint, but this is a long term hold in my opinion, for the set. I'm sure you can break them out and make money on individual coins...but that's a lot more work....

D2

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am selling them on ebay for under $36, and here for $33 shipped for one, or as low as $30 shipped if you buy a couple. Why? I made a little profit on the first few I sold, now I just want to get rid of them. There is nothing wrong with them, so I would have to pay to return them to the mint anyways.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

We're getting there...

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    I am selling them on ebay for under $36, and here for $33 shipped for one, or as low as $30 shipped if you buy a couple. Why? I made a little profit on the first few I sold, now I just want to get rid of them. There is nothing wrong with them, so I would have to pay to return them to the mint anyways.

Do you understand you are destroying the market?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    Different set BUT:

2012 PF Pres Dollars (4) in PF 70 now sells for $270-300 and that had a mintage of over 1.5 MILLION. It will be interesting where an SP70 set (10) of these ends up

The total mintage doesn't tell you the whole story. The question is how many get 70s. As someone earlier pointed out, the gold dimes had such a high percentage of 70s that it didn't matter.

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    there is someone selling these sets for 36.50 with free shipping. that is about a 5 dollar loss after fees, paying for shipping and shipping supplies and your working for free for about 20 minutes to process the order. this doesn't include gas money to go to post office. these sets will probably do fairly well long term, but the next 3 months people will take heavy hits trying to sell them. heavy returns will keep these sets for sale for the next 14 days

Actually, if they are a top seller with appropriate discounts (5.5% eBay fees, 2.9% + 30 cents PayPal) and a commercial shipper (discounted rate), the net yield on $36.50 is about $31. Potentially slightly better if someone buys multiples.

[I'm not saying it's worth the time to make a buck...]

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still for sale at the mint, 29.95 + 4.95 s/h

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@goldbuffalo said:

@jwitten said:

How is he destroying the market? By definition, the "market" is the balance between the buyer's willingness to pay and the seller's willingness to accept. If he's happy selling them at $30 (same price as the Mint, btw), how does that affect the market?

Or am I missing the sarcasm?

• Options

@nurmaler said:
    We're getting there...

Still not sure how one would see this???

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@nurmaler said:
    We're getting there...

Still not sure how one would see this???

I'm with you. Can @nurmaler explain how they are getting this view?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

"We're getting there..."

Nurmaler ... If you believe that more than 99% of the issue has already been sold, why don't you simply buy the last 1900 or so sets and complete the sellout as I suspect you believe the sets would rise in value if that were to happen? It's pocket change for you ;)

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Whew if I had 1,911 I think I'd be selling at a reasonable price also. Sometimes just selling low helps build a mailing/client list. Often times a Merchant will do anything to expand their Customer base. Give a little - get a lot.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 10:22AM

assume 22500 came on sale 8/3 @ 7:30 am
    assume 2000 left now
    that's an average of 2 per minute over the past week + a few hours+

assume no returns from here on out: (ha!)
    2000 left at 2/minute = sell out by 6am on the 11th
    2000 left at 1/minute = sell out about 10:30 pm on the 11th

the level of return will have a huge impact on this.

I'm still in the camp of on sale into later next week.

someone check my math

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@goldbuffalo said:

@jwitten said:

So me selling 40 or so for the same price the mint is is destroying the market? Man, pretty weak market.

• Options

Well, if you only want one set, that's a good deal. With the eBay bucks thrown in, it would cost you more from the Mint.

I wonder if he cherry-picked his box for submissions and is just dumping the rest.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a lot of work, all that stomach acid and tying up cash for little gain. Maybe this is why I don't flip. Could be fun and profitable for you so go for it.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the saying goes....minimize your losses, by eliminating them early.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the mint might just stop the sales before they even hit 225,000 and just destroy all the returns

• Options

@jwitten said:

@goldbuffalo said:

@jwitten said:

So me selling 40 or so for the same price the mint is is destroying the market? Man, pretty weak market.

@jwitten - you mean you didn't know you controlled the market?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some folks just want to boost their feedback or get to a power seller level to get 20% cash back with high sales value.

Many people have ulterior motives.

• Options

yeah, a lot of retired people selling on e bay who have nothing better to do than to lose money

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    the mint might just stop the sales before they even hit 225,000 and just destroy all the returns

Why would they do that? Doesn't help them at all.

• Options
    hutze1nmhutze1nm Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

With 10% eBay Bucks promo today and tomorrow, a 1.5% Cash Back Credit Card, and 1% back through the Ibotta App we are looking at:

$35.00*.875= $30.625/Each

OR The mint, 29.95 + 4.95 s/h for 1 (evens out or is a slightly better deal if you buy 8 units from the mint)

Things I like to do: Collect PL Morgans. That’s is all.
  • Options

they stopped the platinum coins sales early before it hit the 10,000 limit

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WANTS TO F*** AROUND WITH THIS BS?

Ebay, CC companies and the Dreaded app wants to get you to this calculation.

F*** 'em. Cash, baby.

F> @hutze1nm said:

With 10% eBay Bucks promo today and tomorrow, a 1.5% Cash Back Credit Card, and 1% back through the Ibotta App we are looking at:

OR The mint, 29.95 + 4.95 s/h for 1 (evens out or is a slightly better deal if you buy 8 units from the mint)

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    "We're getting there..."

Nurmaler ... If you believe that more than 99% of the issue has already been sold, why don't you simply buy the last 1900 or so sets and complete the sellout as I suspect you believe the sets would rise in value if that were to happen? It's pocket change for you ;)

Wondercoin

lol
    welcome back to the states my friend

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I received my sets and the way they packaged them was terrible. Also, 99% of my sets have some sort of grease or bubbles in the black holders themselves and a few that the black cases are cracked badly. Needless to say, these are going back to the mint....not sure if they will try to resell them or not, but they definitely need to re-holder them first. The coins look fine, but I don't plan to crack them out and don't want to see this grease or whatever it is eventually affect the coins too.

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Here is a pic of one with the grease near the treasury seal...and this is one of the better ones.

• Options

@Schmitz7 said:
    Here is a pic of one with the grease near the treasury seal...and this is one of the better ones.

It's not grease, or bubbles, or anything like that. It is simply where the black is touching the plastic. Happens to ngc holders too.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WANTS TO F*** AROUND WITH THIS BS?

Ebay, CC companies and the Dreaded app wants to get you to this calculation.

F*** 'em. Cash, baby.

F> @hutze1nm said:

I love my cash back bonuses. I got $150 in cash back from my purchase of these very sets!!!

• Options

@Schmitz7 said:
    I received my sets and the way they packaged them was terrible. Also, 99% of my sets have some sort of grease or bubbles in the black holders themselves and a few that the black cases are cracked badly. Needless to say, these are going back to the mint....not sure if they will try to resell them or not, but they definitely need to re-holder them first. The coins look fine, but I don't plan to crack them out and don't want to see this grease or whatever it is eventually affect the coins too.

They do package them terribly. That said, there have been a lot of complaints about coin damage and holder residue which are just optical illusions.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to think of another flip that crashed this hard-this fast.

• Options

@HalfStrike said:

Almost every mint product ever

• Options

@HalfStrike said:

gold kennedy

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

If our little buddy in NK

• Options

Dont know what happened to the rest of my post. Got work to do now.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Not sure how you can say crashed, it has yet to sell out, what would someone expect when they are still for sale at the Mint. ?

• Options

the mint only put out one winner this year and that was the congratulations set and only about 20 sellers got that one, and in huge fashion, mcm was one. buying volume like that with a winner like that means another year they don't have to actually work for a living like everyone else. I don't see another winner from the mint with their last half lineup either

• Options

the only thing a sellout will do is quicken the pace of selling for lowballers selling in the 35 dollar area. the actual appreciation of this set won't happen until winter time

• Options

a coin set with no precious medal in it needs to be pretty special just to maintain issue price

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    Some folks just want to boost their feedback or get to a power seller level to get 20% cash back with high sales value.

Many people have ulterior
    @jessewvu said:

Top rated seller discount is down to 10% as of a month or two ago.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

jmlanzaf:

The way I used to see the number of sets remaining was to try and order the maximum number of sets, and it will tell me how many sets are left (if the number of sets left was less than what I tried to order). It looks like one is now limited to asking for 100 sets in a single order now.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options

I make another prediction:

with the damaged OGP returns, these will go into backordered before a full sellout

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I make another prediction:

with the damaged OGP returns, these will go into backordered before a full sellout

Actually, they always do that. Although they don't call it backordered. They'll go to "unavailable" with a note asking if you want to be reminded when they become available again.

In principle, no mint product is ever a sellout until at least 7 days after their last shipment has been delivered.

• Options

@jerseyralph said:
    jmlanzaf:

The way I used to see the number of sets remaining was to try and order the maximum number of sets, and it will tell me how many sets are left (if the number of sets left was less than what I tried to order). It looks like one is now limited to asking for 100 sets in a single order now.

Yes, that's why I can't see any such thing. It automatically drops the order to 100 and says nothing about availability. I suppose it will tell me there's only 95 left once the available number drops below 100. All posts of sets available are suspect because I see no way to get that info from the mint website.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO...I still think these will float higher, perhaps quite a bit higher, over the longer term. Therefore, I'm keeping 12 for myself (after returning a few others with obviously damaged/scratched cases/coins).

Probably not a bad thing either, for the hobby, that the distribution seems to have been equitable, and that the prices didn't immediately skyrocket big time and then came crashing down hard. So we're essentially seeing them starting out at their issue price.

And I still think a few coins have a compellingly low mintage in relation to the larger series in which they are part.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

They do package them terribly. That said, there have been a lot of complaints about coin damage and holder residue which are just optical illusions.

Huh. Optical illusions.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Huh. Optical illusions.

Yes, people interpreting the cent contact with the plastic as a "nick on the cent". Or, just recently, people interpreting the clear plastic contacting the black plastic as an oil spot. I'm sure there are others, people interpreting reflections as scratches, etc.

• Options

@RichR said:
    IMHO...I still think these will float higher, perhaps quite a bit higher, over the longer term. Therefore, I'm keeping 12 for myself (after returning a few others with obviously damaged/scratched cases/coins).

Probably not a bad thing either, for the hobby, that the distribution seems to have been equitable, and that the prices didn't immediately skyrocket big time and then came crashing down hard. So we're essentially seeing them starting out at their issue price.

And I still think a few coins have a compellingly low mintage in relation to the larger series in which they are part.

I agree. It is a VERY different finish. Collectors could choose to ignore it as neither a proof nor a business strike. That said, it is hard to imagine demand for this set being less than half of the demand for a regular annual proof set. When you throw in series collectors, particularly cents, it is hard to imagine their not being long term price stability if not actual significant appreciation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file