Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Through Sunday, August 6:

> > > >
    225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)
    DateNumber soldNet Increase
    8/6/2017217514217514

They'll probably be gone soon...

The important thing to note next Tuesday is if the "sold" number goes down showing all those returns. As reported above hsn returned 20,000+

Who knows about the exact number at this moment.

I'm satisfied with the 217,514 number, so i'll keep my extras.

If it was 150,000, that would be a different story...

Seems these are $40+ all day on the Bay, I figure i can break even if needed, some stocks to up some go down, some you have hold a little longer.

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Maybe get a surge in sales with a number so close to Sell Out, people who got cold feet might get back in.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered 3 sets.
    So that leaves 224,997 for the rest of you guys... :D

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@dmwest said:

Well, again, from a few days ago:

It was pretty much confirmed with the overselling of the gold Baseball Commems that the mint over-produces a product with the intention of using them to replace returned/damaged product.

>

So they don't resell returned product, it is replaced.

the last statement is a specious conclusion given only overproduction as the reason.

They can still resell returns and overproduce to replaced truly damaged items.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited August 8, 2017 3:35PM

@goldbuffalo said:
    Maybe get a surge in sales with a number so close to Sell Out, people who got cold feet might get back in.

at 215k, we were close then.

if that number didn't finish them off today, then I'm sticking with my previous statement that we're into the week of the 14th for a sell out.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@Kudbegud said:

@coinpalice said:
    kinda funny how hsn ordered 30,000 sets and ended up with 976 SP-70 sets and 0 SP-69 sets, the mint took
    the hit on that order

What's your source for this? Are you suggesting, or reporting, that hsn sent back all sets not making SP70?

>
    I would like to know his source for this info too?

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@Booger9989 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Did pay for overnight shipping? If so you wasted $$. Any mint purchase over 300 is upgraded for free. 4.95 is all you need to spend for any purchase over 300.

I don't think overnight shipping equates to UPS Ground

Different set BUT:

2012 PF Pres Dollars (4) in PF 70 now sells for $270-300 and that had a mintage of over 1.5 MILLION. It will be interesting where an SP70 set (10) of these ends up

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@Kudbegud said:

@coinpalice said:
    kinda funny how hsn ordered 30,000 sets and ended up with 976 SP-70 sets and 0 SP-69 sets, the mint took
    the hit on that order

What's your source for this? Are you suggesting, or reporting, that hsn sent back all sets not making SP70?

>

@coinpalice said:
    Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezack said they didn't have any 69 graded sets, they have been selling their 976- 70 graded sets for 4 days now

@Kudbegud said:

@ECHOES said:

@Kudbegud said:

@coinpalice said:
    the hit on that order

>

@coinpalice said:
    Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezack said they didn't have any 69 graded sets, they have been selling their 976- 70 graded sets for 4 days now

Thanks, but what am I missing here?
    HSN ordered 30k, his source?
    20k being returned, again his source?

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2017 4:06PM

@BackroadJunkie said:
    It was pretty much confirmed with the overselling of the gold Baseball Commems that the mint over-produces a product with the intention of using them to replace returned/damaged product. So they don't resell returned product, it is replaced.

That might not be the case this time if there are a huge number of returns from bulk purchasers for reasons other than damage.

I do expect the final sales total to be less than 225,000 based on sales totals being less than mintage limits on some recent items that sold out.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    It was pretty much confirmed with the overselling of the gold Baseball Commems that the mint over-produces a product with the intention of using them to replace returned/damaged product. So they don't resell returned product, it is replaced.

That might not be the case this time if there are a huge number of returns from bulk purchasers for reasons other than damage.

True. If they get unopened boxes back, there's no reason to think the contents were damaged and could be put back on sale.

I do expect the final sales total to be less than 225,000 based on sales totals being less than mintage limits on some recent items that sold out.

They final sales is always less than the mintage. The Mint only produces an excess over mintage if they anticipate a sell out, and even then there's a discrepancy. Don't know what they are, maybe some are coins given to the Smithsonian or kept in the Mint archives (does the Mint maintain an archive?), lost or stolen coins in transit that had to be replaced but are still part of the overall official mintage? Could be a number of things.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2017 4:50PM

We have three likely sources of demand for this set, which is one reason I think today's price is a good value.

Proof/mint set collectors is one source. Annual proof set sales total around 600,000 (plus additional quarter sets and silver proof sets). Annual mint set sales total 300,000+. This is almost entirely collector demand, as these sets are not considered suitable for flipping. Many proof/mint set collectors will want this set also, since it is attractive, low mintage, reasonably priced, and contains the same coin types as proof and mint sets. I would guess that demand from this group will total 100,000 sets or more.

Collectors of various series will want individual coins from this set, several of which are lowest-mintage keys for their respective series. This will lead to the breakup of many sets. I expect the cent and the half will be the most desired individual coins. Total demand from this group could likewise be north of 100,000 coins.

Finally there are speculators/investors who will be putting away multiple sets for the long term, at least several years. They have more patience than flippers, and many have been rewarded in the past by socking away coins such as the 1995-W proof silver eagle and the 1997-W unc. Jackie Robinson $5 gold. Demand from this group could also easily exceed 100K sets (that's only $3 million worth at issue price).

I don't see any way that likely demand from these three groups can be satisfied by the maximum 225,000 sets available. Hence I believe that this set is a good value at the mint's issue price.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Some of the finished sales on Ebay are now taking a loss on these sets.

@HalfStrike said:
    Some of the finished sales on Ebay are now taking a loss on these sets.

For about a day, it was a good flip. Then, not so much.

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

I think all of you should break out your EU coins and start spending them.....

Don't quote me on that.

@Kudbegud said:

The important thing to note next Tuesday is if the "sold" number goes down showing all those returns. As reported above hsn returned 20,000+

Is this the same 20K that put the sets back on sale in the first place?

I know there were 20K returned (or cancelled), but the returnee wasn't named.

The mint has a collection, but I do not know if they are now keeping 1 of everything.
    It, along with the 4 mint facilities, are listed as heritage assets or some such in their annual report. However, do not expect an inventory. They simply list them like: numismatic assets - 1. Facilities - 4.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@ECHOES said:

@Kudbegud said:

@coinpalice said:
    the hit on that order

>

@coinpalice said:

I am not a fan of HSN but to let everyone on the forum know some facts. The 976 sets were a "first day of issue from the ANA in Denver. They will have many other 70 sets for sale and he said he would bust many sets open to sell individual coins.
    He said he expects to make more money from single coins than the sets. Seams like the big boys have a chance to make some money and all collectors had a chance to get one from the mint if they wanted. Seams like a win win to me.
    I ordered five sets from the mint for me and the grand kids, Looks like a nice set from the pictures I have seen.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

@BackroadJunkie said:

@coinpalice said:
    I heard all orders made on the 3rd are still pending because they are waiting for a very large return from hsn

I got email from the Mint last night informing me that my order on the 3rd shipped. Fed Ex still hasn't physically received the package, though...

My order of the 3rd shipped as well, it is due Friday 8/11

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

@Booger9989 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Did pay for overnight shipping? If so you wasted $$. Any mint purchase over 300 is upgraded for free. 4.95 is all you need to spend for any purchase over 300.

I don't think overnight shipping equates to UPS Ground

No, the overnight came UPS Air. Guaranteed next day delivery is always more expensive.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else have any sets arrive with cents that had a small rim tick at almost precisely the 3:00 o'clock position?

I'm keeping 10 sets, but sending a few with the dinged cents back...as well as a couple of others with damaged cases.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    Did anyone else have any sets arrive with cents that had a small rim tick at almost precisely the 3:00 o'clock position?

I'm keeping 10 sets, but sending a few with the dinged cents back...as well as a couple of others with damaged cases.

Yes of the 10 sets I got I sent back 8 sets many of them were the nicks you talked about. RB1026 Posted a good sections with pictures of many examples of the problems on this link. Sorry you went through that. Left a sour taste in my trust of these. Still not sure how I will react to the 10 sets still coming to me.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and I won't even mention the "moisture" inside the cases that are causing rainbow and streaking patterns on the black background. Has anyone figured that out yet? Is it really moisture or something else?

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the one set I got, I see what I think is either a nick at 6 o'clock on the dime or a nick on the plastic surrounding it, can't tell which.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold out ? Good. Maybe the thread will have a longer life.

HE>I

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Sold out ? Good. Maybe the thread will have a longer life.

Not yet...still available

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

@RichR said:
    ...and I won't even mention the "moisture" inside the cases that are causing rainbow and streaking patterns on the black background. Has anyone figured that out yet? Is it really moisture or something else?

that is the coin containing plastic touching the external clear plastic holder

I have a few with that nick on the cent at 3 and 9 o'clock (same coin/ both nicks)

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine just showed up. Apparently, you have to be 21 to sign for these expensive boxes from the mint, lol. I am 32, but my UPS guy still questioned me. I know when I was in college I had a few packages from UPS that I was not allowed to sign for, but the guy let me anyways. I think UPS needs to change that procedure. If you can vote, fight for your country, etc, you should be allowed to buy coins from the mint.

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    I have a few with that nick on the cent at 3 and 9 o'clock (same coin/ both nicks)

****The Cents aren't nicked. It's just the reflection of the inner plastic holder.****

The mint sends packages meeting certain condition over 21 signature required

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    The mint sends packages meeting certain condition over 21 signature required

I know, but I think that's silly. 18, 19, and 20 y/o people collect coins too.

I just pulled my "nicked" at 3 o'clock cent out of the 17XC set.
    IT IS NOT NICKED IN ANYWAY.
    The Cents aren't nicked. It's just the reflection of the inner plastic holder making the rim look damaged.

edited August 9, 2017 12:33PM

yes, the cups have little grip points which may give the impression of a rim issue at that location.

There are also mirages of sorts created by flaws in the clear plastic cups. you'd look and swear 100% it is on the coin, however once the coin Is removed it is clear that the issue was really a defect in the clear plastic cup

@RichR said:

The Cents aren't damaged.

I have a few with that nick on the cent at 3 and 9 o'clock (same coin/ both nicks)....and the posts above saved me returning those sets

to open the lenses:
    0) you will need a very thin blade, like a utility knife blade, to do this.

1) be careful because they will crack at the corners if you do not do this
    a) slowly
    b) raising the lid only a tiny bit at a time
    c) raise each corner a tiny bit in rotation. (pick a corner & raise it a tiny, then move to the next for a tiny, the then next, etc.)

2) gently, very gently twist the lens so there is just enough of a gap on a corner to insert the blade. Do not use a thick blade or you risk cracking a corner of the lid.

3) gently twist the blade to lift the edge on the side up towards the next corner. Be careful not to nick the edge of the lid.

4) work each corner up a tiny. Be aware that one corner or one edge might re-settle lower. To prevent this, insert your fingernail or hold in a dull blade or two to hold it up.

getting the coins out of the cups is quite difficult. I would say do not attempt unless you are set upon removing them all. You will likely crease the plastic cup holder extracting them.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2017 2:38PM

The coins look great and I think they are a hit. New today but great looking in my humble opinion. The US mint seems to be mishandling many launches lately. Either way. Since I have sets dating back to the 50's and see many have made bucks picking out specials like Ike's and Kennedy out of them. How's to say what the future brings with these. I Like them especially the frosted and not seeing those spots like you see on other S coins. Well at least not seen so far.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3 sets I received are nicely done. In terms of collectability and value, I still consider these coins to be not a lot different from the proof and uncirculated sets of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, but the coins look nice.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@MsMorrisine said:
    to open the lenses:
    0) you will need a very thin blade, like a utility knife blade, to do this.

1) be careful because they will crack at the corners if you do not do this
    a) slowly
    b) raising the lid only a tiny bit at a time
    c) raise each corner a tiny bit in rotation. (pick a corner & raise it a tiny, then move to the next for a tiny, the then next, etc.)

2) gently, very gently twist the lens so there is just enough of a gap on a corner to insert the blade. Do not use a thick blade or you risk cracking a corner of the lid.

3) gently twist the blade to lift the edge on the side up towards the next corner. Be careful not to nick the edge of the lid.

4) work each corner up a tiny. Be aware that one corner or one edge might re-settle lower. To prevent this, insert your fingernail or hold in a dull blade or two to hold it up.

getting the coins out of the cups is quite difficult. I would say do not attempt unless you are set upon removing them all. You will likely crease the plastic cup holder extracting them.

To remove the coins from cups just push the coins out from the obverse plastic covers. Coin pops right out.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is someone selling these sets for 36.50 with free shipping. that is about a 5 dollar loss after fees, paying for shipping and shipping supplies and your working for free for about 20 minutes to process the order. this doesn't include gas money to go to post office. these sets will probably do fairly well long term, but the next 3 months people will take heavy hits trying to sell them. heavy returns will keep these sets for sale for the next 14 days

this seller has 150 available also, not sure why he doesn't return them,

@coinpalice said:
    . heavy returns will keep these sets for sale for the next 14 days

agreement

@coinpalice said:
    this seller has 150 available also, not sure why he doesn't return them,

link the auction

get this, the seller at 36.50 just got undercut from another seller with over 100 sets at 36.00 with free shipping. the person selling at 36.50 only 17 sets sold so far also -link to 36 with free shipping item # 192270135947

the seller at 36.50 just sold 2 more so he's at 19 sold so far

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file