Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

if not actual significant appreciation.

I doubt your speculation.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

if not actual significant appreciation.

I doubt your speculation.

You doubt there would be price stability? Or you would doubt there would be significant appreciation?

I think you need to consider the 1996 Mint set (Mintage 1.4 million). The 1995 (Mintage 1.04 million) and 1997 Mint sets (Mintage 950,000) are $3.25 and $3.50 Greysheet Bid. The far more common 1996 mint set has a Greysheet Bid of $12. Why? All because of the 1996-W dime of which there are 1.4 MILLION! The 2017-S Enhanced dime only has a mintage of 225,000.

You might also consider the 1970 Mint set. The 1969 Mint set, also 40% silver, has a mintage of 1.82 million and a Greysheet Bid of $5.00. The 1970 Mint set has a mintage of 2.04 million and a Greysheet bid of $14.50. The difference is due to the 1970-D Half dollar. And again, the 2017-S Enhanced Half is MUCH less common with only 225,000 of them.

When you throw in the Lincoln cent which is the scarcest cent in the entire series at 225,000, it is really hard to believe that the sets can't hold a $30 issue price, at the very least. And it is certainly not impossible that those sets might not ultimately end up at $50 or $60 once things start to sort themselves out. I mean, those also have to be among the scarcest, if not the scarcest, in the quarter series.

• Options

If I could add to my previous speculation, I would ask what happens 5 years from now IF the coin folders and albums have a space for the enhanced finishes? At that point, you've got a lot of sets in collections and off the market and you've got people trying to fill holes with what are relatively scarce coins in popular series.

I'm not suggesting the price HAS to increase. I'm suggesting that is very unlikely that the price decreases significantly. And I do think it is at least possible that the sets ultimately increase.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

They'll be gone by Monday morning.

(Although, I expect that they are still getting a decent amount of returns, so 7:30AM sales to follow.)

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I just received mine. I guess buying two sets was the way to go because they came snugly packaged in a little box with no damage at all. The coins look great to me.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

They do package them terribly. That said, there have been a lot of complaints about coin damage and holder residue which are just optical illusions.

Huh. Optical illusions.

poor wording.

optical images that mislead or confuse.

the internal "grease" and "water" on the holder complaints are based upon an interference pattern created by the contact of the plastic insert touching the clear plastic holder. it is not an illusion. use of that word is my mistake.

the tiny tabs on the insert meant to hold the coin in do create an illusion of a defect on the coin.

defects in the clear plastic cups do create an illusion the defect on the coin.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

They'll be gone by Monday morning.

(Although, I expect that they are still getting a decent amount of returns, so 7:30AM sales to follow.)

It's almost like you're wanting people to not return these today

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I make another prediction:

with the damaged OGP returns, these will go into backordered before a full sellout

I'm still on this.

also, I'm still on the whole returns from flippers and damaged items extending sales into later next week

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    I make another prediction:

with the damaged OGP returns, these will go into backordered before a full sellout

I'm still on this.

also, I'm still on the whole returns from flippers and damaged items extending sales into later next week

I agree. I also think it's irrelevant to the long term value or lack thereof. The flips are over but the distribution of sets still needs to be adjusted to their final homes. That will take some time and will probably see prices all over the place until things settle down.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you tell how many sets are still left for sale? I can't find that on the mint's site.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    How do you tell how many sets are still left for sale? I can't find that on the mint's site.

That's because it is photoshop fiction! Made up, fake news as Mr. Trump would say!

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received an enhanced finish nickel that I purchased from datentype,,,,,, the finish on these coins is incredible.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received mine today...no problems with packaging, and coins looked real good with one exception. Ehhh....

There's a few rust looking blemishes west of the babes head, and on Sacagawea's chin. A few spots scattered around field with a prominent one at the 10 o'clock position at rim. The environment is not all that kind to this alloy; especially with poor quality control...apparently.

I hope the other two sets I have on the way have a better looking Sac than this...

• Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Got five sets today... all look flawless, with the exception of one tiny strike through on one Lincoln Cent.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    And I still think a few coins have a compellingly low mintage in relation to the larger series in which they are part.

I agree, and I think the big winner will be the cent. Extremely popular series, and the 2017-S looks stunning and is less than half the mintage of the 1909-S VDB. I picked up several from broken-up sets for under $7 each after adjusting for the eBay Bucks promotion. May get some more.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

Those rust colored spots happen on day 1 ordered fresh from the mint proof set coins

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got five sets on Thursday, one set had a minor spot on the cent and one of the ATB quarters, otherwise, quite nice-looking coins.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:

@Onastone said:

That's because it is photoshop fiction! Made up, fake news as Mr. Trump would say!

I would hazard a guess and say a dealer with a bulk purchase account would be able to see how many sets are left.....or not

• Options

So I just had to check eBay to see about these broken set EU pennies....searched for EU 2017 S PENNIES and there they were, pristine, a little expensive, I guess they were enhanced, I didn't see the mint mark, but ordered several anyway, funny that they were only sold in pairs......I sure hope they don't have any blemishes or marks, very shiny....Penny Loafers!!!

• Options

I would not order a coin that has an invisible mint mark. The recent sales are around $7-8 each (all singles) and the MM (S) is very visible

• Options

@BigA said:
    I would not order a coin that has an invisible mint mark. The recent sales are around $7-8 each (all singles) and the MM (S) is very visible

He bought shoes....it was a subtle joke. [Maybe too subtle. :smile: ]

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Those rust colored spots happen on day 1 ordered fresh from the mint proof set coins

Yes, although they don't seem as bad on these as some other Sacs. I did have one that was so bad (about 20% of the obverse) that I'm going out to spend it today. LOL. Maybe that will intrigue someone.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received second order Friday, all pristine with exception of one quarter.
    Some sort of gunk, I removed, but it left a small spot.
    Overall, very happy with EU sets.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Yes, although they don't seem as bad on these as some other Sacs. I did have one that was so bad (about 20% of the obverse) that I'm going out to spend it today. LOL. Maybe that will intrigue someone.

Ha! I planned on doing the same with my Sacagawea today! Put it in commerce for a future YN.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

He bought shoes....it was a subtle joke. [Maybe too subtle. :smile: ]

That's what happens when I hit the laptop before finishing my morning coffee

• Options

sold out

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

"sold out" or simply currently unavailable?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2017 11:03AM

@wondercoin said:
    "sold out" or simply currently unavailable?

Wondercoin

I suppose with the damaged in shipping issues and flipper returns, they are indeed currently unavailable.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2017 11:08AM

Sales started 8/1/17. It's now 8/12/17.

Remind me now is where Buy a bag was. USMint is wiping its' brow and saying, "Whew, glad that over with, For now."

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2017 11:33AM

My 12 sets will be a long term hold. Looks like the PCGS MS 70 cent alone is going for $60 on ebay. The cent may be the cause of the set possibly escalating way beyond the mint issue price.

There will probably be a lot of broken up sets and the coins sold individually to suit the Lincoln, Kennedy, etc collectors.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2017 11:19AM

Up Up and Away, glad i didn't sell mine.

or Send them back.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-225th-Anniversary-Enhanced-Uncirculated-Coin-set-/302412976564?epid=9004947951&hash=item466937d1b4:g:CS0AAOSwuwNZjntX
    example of what a sellout does, wipes out lowballers first. 0 sales after 17 hours, 4 sets sold in last 20 minutes

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2017 11:42AM

Seems to me that First Strike is wayyy better then First Day of Issue.

That First Day coin might have been the last coin struck, where the First Strike was the very First one.

;)

• Options
    edited August 12, 2017 11:45AM

@goldbuffalo said:
    Seems to me that First Strike is wayyy better then First Day of Issue.

That First Day coin might have been the last coin struck, where the First Strike was the very First one.

;)

Why does that make zero sense to me? First Day would be "First Day" of sales...First Strike could be ANY day of sales....both could be 1st or last struck

First Day at least means SOMETHING...First Strike means zero

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

these sets are going to appreciate faster then I thought, all sets under 40 dollars getting sold at a fast pace

• Options

They've gone to unavailable...for now.

• Options

I imagine some returns will pop up.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just finished doing a careful visual inspections of the 10 sets part of my 2nd shipment from the Mint of the sets. It appears that out of the 10 I, will be returning 3 of the sets for full monetary refund's due to flaws and indications on the coins. So only 3 this time vs. the 8 I returned on the 1st batch. The Mint must be getting better as that only puts them on a 30% reject rate on this round! As a company that is NOT that bad. I wonder if this was a safety injury related record wonder how your company would rate in the business world? You only hurt 30% of your workers. Not bad hugh?

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, are folks just sending in the non quarters for grading?

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wondered about that too. Will my unopened set get first strike labels

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unopened original shipping box more than likely yes. No cut off date posted yet but it's usually 30 days from on sale date. Shipping date on the shipping label as well as the receipt inside will prove purchase in the First Strike period.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello friends, it's been awhile. I think these will be winners, kudos to the Mint for the great finishes.

Out of 80 I pulled 17 to return/exchange. Hopefully can get decent sets back. Most defects were spotting on the cent and obv half, although 4 of the halves had a very obvious frost break in the obverse left field (same place) which means the die had a defect that replicated. Surely many more similar out there. I only had one lens crack, not major. Yes, the larger boxes had the worst packaging, but they did surprisingly well on their 5000 mile journey to Alaska. None of the quarters had issues although I only used a 5x to review very briefly. Not interested in grading, but don't want probs down the road.

On the other hand, I'm toying with the idea of just keeping all and just selling the nice singles individually. Seems to be a decent market for those.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Akbeez as of today they are " currently not available " from the Mint. But who knows maybe they will send you my 3 I am sending back Monday and the 8 sets I sent back 4 or 6 days ago. Just kidding but I would look at them carefully and if all 17 are bad then know they did just that! I also bought 3 graded SP70 FDI ANA sets, It cost $270 bucks on Ebay, hopefully I did not pay to much but got the first 2 sets already and their nice.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a chance to look at one of the sets I received. All coins look virtually flawless, lenses are immaculate, and all sets arrived undamaged.

In my opinion, most coins look fairly attractive. The obverse of the quarters are the most attractive, to me anyway. The ATB reverses don't really appeal to me this year, so its hard for me to like those.

As has already been said, I see the Kennedy and Lincoln carrying these sets into the future.

The one thing I think would have been sweet - mirror the bands and flame of the Roosevelt torch.

All in all, a winner, and long term hold. Just my two cents.

• Options

What's next for enhanced coins? How about an enhanced silver eagle...or maybe an enhanced reverse proof coin!!! First day of issue too, graded perfect.... EURPFDOI70 It would actually be pretty neat if they did enhance a reverse proof.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I want one of those Black Metal Coins in 2021 - I forget the exact name Niobium? Anyway 2021 will be the 10th Anniversary of the Action taken by my Boys to eliminate that Big-n-Bad Bad Man . You know the one.

Anyway, it doesn't need to be much - just a plain Silver Eagle with some sort of Privy Mark and a Black Niobium Coat.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:

@Onastone said:

or not

• Options
    edited August 13, 2017 1:29AM

@nurmaler said:

@Manorcourtman said:

@Onastone said:

or not

Regardless the coin set is now Currently Unavailable tonight so it was a good prediction.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be in for a few more, but not avail at this time zone.

Thoughts on sending back spot sets or future on better taking a chance on single/replacements? Tick tock gotta return or GONG.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2017 1:31AM

Thank you Kudbegud!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file