Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two sets arrived today, no damage, no bubbles / spots on cent, all coins pristine condition.
    Very happy with sets. Not happy with packaging, small amount of paper, items again freely moving around in shipping box.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

First I want to say hello this will be my first post and to thank RB1026 for talking about the flaws in his sets. It was only after his post that I really took a good look at my 10 sets that came in.
    I am a amateur coin collector my dad was a silver nut. I guess I am now following in his footsteps. But I been buying more new coins and I love some of the older coin photographs here in your site. Later I will venture toward the older coins. But for now I been hooked on the MS70 graded coins. Now when this group of set coins came out I ended up buying 21 sets. I just sent back the first 8 out of 10 sets that came in the first batch. I am up in Alaska in the Kenai Penninsula, and I am a welding inspector and I noticed out of the 10 sets 8 of them had flaws. I used a lighted magnified set up nothing fancy but I figured were paying for quality coins. What if I wanted to send them in for grading. The flaws I found were just like RB106.
    It cost me $20.25 to send them back. I am now going to refuse the 2nd batch of 10 coming since I am not trusting the Quality work being done on them for these sets only. This might explain why they are not selling out. How do I know they the Mint is not just resending the one being sent back. I guess you should look at your sets because once the 30 days past I am not sure if you can send them back. Anyways thank you RB1026 for posting your pictures cause I might never of bothered to look at the Quality that is being done on these. I will keep the 1 that is coming to my home still. That will give me 3 total sets. If I want to send one in for grading its going to cost $250.00 just in fees. Crazy. ps Salmon are still running on the Kenai!

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2017 2:36PM

1) Welcome

2) The Mint pays for the cost of returning purchases so no clue why you paid $20+

3) they were put on sale less than a week ago. Do you really think they was enough time to order, ship, receive, return, receive and repackage , reship and have you receive them all in 6 days? No chance they are rejects

4) returns are limited to 5 days (not 30) after receipt

5) not cost effective to spend $250 (actually well over $300) to have a single set graded

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 sets arrived today and I must say they are nice.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2017 3:14PM

I planning to keep these EU set for long term and wondering if it better to hold the mint original box of 38 sets ( probably can't submit for FS later) or the box the mint ship out ( eligibility for FS, but I heard a lot complained about poor packing). Thank You

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I bet the first pcgs SP-70 DMPL sells for over 1,000

There will be no DMPL Lincoln's! These are enhanced, or satin finish. I have looked at over 200 sets and they are as far from DMPL as you can get.

• Options

BigA yes your right I just got off the phone with the Mint. Nice lady on the phone.
    7 days is the amount of time you have that is 7 days for date of delivery for all returns.
    Allow 5 to 7 days for refund if you choose that option. ( I chose the money refund )
    If I had called them they would of gladly paid the shipping. ( Next time I will call )
    Thank you

• Options

You can also get a paid return label online which is quicker.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2017 4:11PM

@Manorcourtman said:

@coinpalice said:
    I bet the first pcgs SP-70 DMPL sells for over 1,000

There will be no DMPL Lincoln's! These are enhanced, or satin finish. I have looked at over 200 sets and they are as far from DMPL as you can get.

this is a troll

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Gluggo said:
    BigA yes your right I just got off the phone with the Mint. Nice lady on the phone.
    7 days is the amount of time you have that is 7 days for date of delivery for all returns.
    Allow 5 to 7 days for refund if you choose that option. ( I chose the money refund )
    If I had called them they would of gladly paid the shipping. ( Next time I will call )

The level of issues described so far is in line with proof sets sent out.
    In fact, 8/10 returned is better than my average on proof issues.
    Take the level of issues as a current fact of life and hope they improve over time.

I suggest opening the next box and seeing if there are any better inside. Who knows, they may all be dogs though.

the issue with "damaged" sets at the ANA and a few other posts is due to poor padding and shipping issues. My guess is that it is the plastic holders and paper boxes are damaged in transit from the poor padding in the box.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised to hear of the quality of coin issues above. You must have gotten a bad batch. The sets I purchased at ANA were fantastic. There were a few shattered lenses and packages bashed but the coins were the best I've seen in years. As a matter of fact the 10 I submitted at the show resulted in 9 SP70's and 1 SP69. 7 Lincolns graded SP70RD. I bet I didn't see anything below a 69. Strange how quality works at the Mint these days.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

You're very welcome Gluggo! When I posted my results/pics I was hoping to help others out, so I am glad to hear that you benefitted. I think for this issue, the best way to get an MS70 set is to pony up for one already graded. Just my 2 cents.

At any rate, welcome aboard Gluggo! Glad you are here!

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

I suggest opening the next box and seeing if there are any better inside. Who knows, they may all be dogs though.

Seeing how there is only a 7 day window it would be best to open and fill out the form who knows maybe they are all good and I got a bad batch. I am sort of disgusted though I might just open to fill out and send back since they will pay for it. I must of spent 2 hours snapping hundreds of pictures trying to document only to get distracted as the grand baby is up to visit. Have to spend time with what's important. But thanks for the good tips.

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭

Just placed an order today. :smile: Can't wait to see the coin in EU finish.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my sets last week and opened the box today. Everything loos good. At least they used styrofoam for protection between the sets, lol.. Will try and post some pics shortly. At first glance, the coins looks really nice, the finish on the quarters is especially attractive,

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Gluggo said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Seeing how there is only a 7 day window it would be best to open and fill out the form who knows maybe they are all good and I got a bad batch. I am sort of disgusted though I might just open to fill out and send back since they will pay for it. I must of spent 2 hours snapping hundreds of pictures trying to document only to get distracted as the grand baby is up to visit. Have to spend time with what's important. But thanks for the good tips.

no need to photo the issues you see. just cram the description of the issues into the box given.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine today-two of 'em-all very nice coins.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 425 ✭✭✭

Received 3 sets. No problems. Really a beautiful product. Still available as of 6 AM 8/8.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 4:12AM

I must of spent 2 hours snapping hundreds of pictures trying to document>

Really? I think you are WAAAY to into this. If you don't like the quality of the sets then just get a return authorization label, put a descriptive post-it on each product , drop it in a UPS box and move on. It's a $30 set not a new car.

Just sayin'

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

There will be no 70 PL or DPL.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard all orders made on the 3rd are still pending because they are waiting for a very large return from hsn

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Datentype said:
    There will be no 70 PL or DPL.

You are correct. But there will be SP70's

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I heard all orders made on the 3rd are still pending because they are waiting for a very large return from hsn

I got email from the Mint last night informing me that my order on the 3rd shipped. Fed Ex still hasn't physically received the package, though...

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order from the 3rd shipped out of the FedEx facility early this morning. FedEx's guesstimated arrival is this coming Saturday.

• Options

kinda funny how hsn ordered 30,000 sets and ended up with 976 SP-70 sets and 0 SP-69 sets, the mint took
    the hit on that order

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    kinda funny how hsn ordered 30,000 sets and ended up with 976 SP-70 sets and 0 SP-69 sets, the mint took
    the hit on that order

What's your source for this? Are you suggesting, or reporting, that hsn sent back all sets not making SP70?

And welcome

• Options

Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezack said they didn't have any 69 graded sets, they have been selling their 976- 70 graded sets for 4 days now

• Options

@BigA said:

Really? I think you are WAAAY to into this. If you don't like the quality of the sets then just get a return authorization label, put a descriptive post-it on each product , drop it in a UPS box and move on. It's a $30 set not a new car.

Just sayin'

YEs I have a problem I am compulsive and I love my coins. Plus I am on Vacation so plenty of time to spend on the coins, but tomorrow back to work. I was just worried since I never sent anything back before to the Mint. But everything is good now. I will keep 3 sets that's enough for just me.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

I just received my 10 sets(great stocking stuffers) via UPS. None of my sets had any damage. I agree with what one of the others said, I think the Quarters benefited the most with the "Enhancement". Especially, the Ozark quarter. The dollar looks pretty cool too.
    I have noticed on the half dollar there appears to be 2 little niks on several of those coins. 1 right on the temple and 1 in his hair. Some are easier to see than others.....I think I have 2 out of the 10 halves that don't have this...I'll try to post pictures later.....anyone else seeing that?
    Also, do you notice the little round stickers in the corners with some numbers on it? looks like black sticker with a number stamped in....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

fwiw

• Options

@nurmaler said:
    fwiw

>

How did you get that to show or was it just there?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@BigA said:

Just sayin'

YEs I have a problem I am compulsive and I love my coins.

No worries there, Gluggo! Lots of us are in the same boat. Fortunately it's America, you're free to enjoy your coins and this hobby any way you choose ;) Glad to hear you culled out a few nice sets.

• Options

?

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:
    fwiw

>

?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    ?

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:
    fwiw

>

?

tried adding 10k to my cart. (bulk)

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    ?

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:
    fwiw

>

?

Strange, is it just me, or does the pic when copied to a second/third post look like 54,156 vs the 4,156 when initially captured/posted?

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    fwiw

Fake news

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    ?

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:
    fwiw

>

?

You can't add 10k to your cart, it automatically decreases it to 100 items.????

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@nurmaler said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    ?

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:
    fwiw

>

?

Strange, is it just me, or does the pic when copied to a second/third post look like 54,156 vs the 4,156 when initially captured/posted?

Yep, I saw that too. Weird.

• Options

So far, I've cracked open 37 sets. I don't see any issues with the coins other than the occasional slight discoloration on the cent (soap?). The coin production quality control seems very good, as it is with most new mint products. IMHO

The shipping, on the other hand. Egads! The fulfillment center is staffed by idiots. I had two boxes of 100 and two boxes of 25. The boxes of 25 had no padding, but at least they were packed tightly enough to avoid too much sloshing around. The boxes of 100 were ridiculously. There were two boxes of 38 in their with 24 loose sets. There was one sheet of bubble mat in their, and I'm not even sure why, as it didn't come close to filling the empty space in the box so everything could slosh around.

The boxes weighed 36 pounds packed weight. There was ONE piece of tape on the top and one piece of tape on the bottom flaps. When the UPS guy handed me the box, the bottom was bulging down and ready to give way. And the glued side seam on the box was starting to split open as well. Good thing I opted for overnight shipping. A couple days in the mail stream and there might be no box left.

I hope the discount the Mint gets on fulfillment services makes up for what they are spending handling returns.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 12:00PM

Through Sunday, August 6:

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)
    DateNumber soldNet Increase
    8/6/2017217514217514

They'll probably be gone soon...

• Options

By the way, in reference to the earlier discussion of value for the set, I don't believe this set will crash to face value like other Mint products. 225,000 is 30% fewer than the number of regular proof sets already sold this year. It is hard to imagine that anyone who buys a proof set either for the set or the coins in it won't also want this set. And individual coin series collectors, as they become aware of the coins will want them in their album. [NOTE: It would help value if the manufacturer's put a spot in new albums for this issue.]

Admittedly, I originally ordered the 250 sets hoping for a quick flip. When that didn't happen, I decided to sit on some and crack some open to sell singles. For what it's worth (free shipping in all quotes): quarter sets fly at $13.95, the Lincoln also flies at $7.95, the Kennedy sells well but more slowly at $12.50, and the nickel and dime are sluggish at $4.49. The dog is the Sac which is barely selling at $7. So, if you add it up, the break-up value of the set NOW, even though the coins are still on sale at the mint is somewhere between $44 and $50 depending on what the market value of the dollar ends up being.

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    So far, I've cracked open 37 sets. I don't see any issues with the coins other than the occasional slight discoloration on the cent (soap?). The coin production quality control seems very good, as it is with most new mint products. IMHO

The shipping, on the other hand. Egads! The fulfillment center is staffed by idiots. I had two boxes of 100 and two boxes of 25. The boxes of 25 had no padding, but at least they were packed tightly enough to avoid too much sloshing around. The boxes of 100 were ridiculously. There were two boxes of 38 in their with 24 loose sets. There was one sheet of bubble mat in their, and I'm not even sure why, as it didn't come close to filling the empty space in the box so everything could slosh around.

The boxes weighed 36 pounds packed weight. There was ONE piece of tape on the top and one piece of tape on the bottom flaps. When the UPS guy handed me the box, the bottom was bulging down and ready to give way. And the glued side seam on the box was starting to split open as well. Good thing I opted for overnight shipping. A couple days in the mail stream and there might be no box left.

I hope the discount the Mint gets on fulfillment services makes up for what they are spending handling returns.

Did pay for overnight shipping? If so you wasted $$. Any mint purchase over 300 is upgraded for free. 4.95 is all you need to spend for any purchase over 300.

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options

@Booger9989 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Did pay for overnight shipping? If so you wasted $$. Any mint purchase over 300 is upgraded for free. 4.95 is all you need to spend for any purchase over 300.

Clearly not true as mine arrived next day and another dealer who paid the $4.95 didn't get his for 3 days after delivery.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Booger9989 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Clearly not true as mine arrived next day and another dealer who paid the $4.95 didn't get his for 3 days after delivery.

That should be 3 days after shipping not delivery. Sorry about that.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

8/6/2017217514217514

That partly depends on how many returns are pending. Flippers have 7 days to return. As long as the mint is selling them, there is no wholesale price. So, I imagine many would be flippers are requesting RMA's as we speak.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

> > > >
    8/6/2017217514217514

That partly depends on how many returns are pending. Flippers have 7 days to return. As long as the mint is selling them, there is no wholesale price. So, I imagine many would be flippers are requesting RMA's as we speak.

I wonder what the Mints policy is on damaged coins....do they melt them down and deduct from the final total or do they replace? Anyone know?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 12:49PM

the reports of damaged in transit have, I think, been to the plastic holders and paper boxes.

if there is truly unsaleable items, they may or may not resell them. They may replace them. I don't know.

I think they over manufacture to a point to account for various losses.

I do know they send unsold items through the waffle machine.

I feel safe saying that the mint will make every effort to mint enough to make 225k in demand if 225k of demand is there.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

> > > > > > > >
    8/6/2017217514217514

I wonder what the Mints policy is on damaged coins....do they melt them down and deduct from the final total or do they replace? Anyone know?

Well, again, from a few days ago:

It was pretty much confirmed with the overselling of the gold Baseball Commems that the mint over-produces a product with the intention of using them to replace returned/damaged product. So they don't resell returned product, it is replaced.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

Well, again, from a few days ago:

It was pretty much confirmed with the overselling of the gold Baseball Commems that the mint over-produces a product with the intention of using them to replace returned/damaged product. So they don't resell returned product, it is replaced.

I missed that post, thanks for repeating it.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

8/6/2017217514217514

The important thing to note next Tuesday is if the "sold" number goes down showing all those returns. As reported above hsn returned 20,000+

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file