Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think in the long run, it will be seen as successful. Not as a set, but as low mintage semi-key coins that collectors of the modern series need to acquire.

If you have any kind of modern quarter registry set, you need the 5 EU from this set. They will be easy to find for max registry points, but not something you can ignore if you want to compete.

Same for the other coins...

But I doubt you will see the 10-coin sets being sold as sets, except maybe from the shopping networks.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

These coins will be worth millions.......or $2.91.......one day.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@shorecoll said:
    Those danged collectors are slowing everything down.

Not the collectors, it's the flippers that slowed things down by sending 50,000 of them back.

Nonsense...You seem to forget, that your so called flippers are the market makers in coins and not the "collectors." Without the "flippers", investors or speculators, you'd have a stagnating market.

Flippers are NOT market makers. The market makers are actual wholesalers and retailers. "Flippers" are just trying to grab a limited commodity and turn it into an overnight profit. Many of them are just collectors who got lucky once. The market makers did NOT return any of the sets, they are still selling them. The "flippers" panicked when there was no initial profit and just sent them all back.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so....is my 2017 complete? I've got a proof, silver proof, ehanced uncirc, and now uncirc set. AM I DONE YET? Oh yeah... Those lib medals.... And special S ase's....

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@shorecoll said:

Not the collectors, it's the flippers that slowed things down by sending 50,000 of them back.

Nonsense...You seem to forget, that your so called flippers are the market makers in coins and not the "collectors." Without the "flippers", investors or speculators, you'd have a stagnating market.

I'd also point out that collectors didn't send sets back - except for damage/defects. They, by definition, are COLLECTORS. They bought sets for themselves and maybe family and they kept them.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    I think in the long run, it will be seen as successful. Not as a set, but as low mintage semi-key coins that collectors of the modern series need to acquire.

If you have any kind of modern quarter registry set, you need the 5 EU from this set. They will be easy to find for max registry points, but not something you can ignore if you want to compete.

Same for the other coins...

But I doubt you will see the 10-coin sets being sold as sets, except maybe from the shopping networks.

The sets will always be sold as sets. That's where the coins come from, after all. Even if they ultimately get broken up. You can still buy any set ever issued by the Mint as a set.

• Options

@dmwest said:

LOL. $2.91 in 2017 dollars or 2025 dollars?

I doubt they'll ever be worth millions, but most of the coins will always have a premium, possibly significant. The dimes and the nickels are the hardest sell, especially the nickels. I can barely give them away.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

I doubt they'll ever be worth millions, but most of the coins will always have a premium, possibly significant. The dimes and the nickels are the hardest sell, especially the nickels. I can barely give them away.

Then I recommend you just simply spend the nickles...I would like to start finding enhanced circulated coins in my change :) and all the bottom feeders need a P01 for their collections....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The sets will always be sold as sets. That's where the coins come from, after all. Even if they ultimately get broken up. You can still buy any set ever issued by the Mint as a set.

I believe you will see them sold as 10 individual coins far more often than as a set of 10.

Certainly you can re-assemble any set every issued by purchasing the individual components.

Where I'm going is that I believe the market will be for 10 individual coins, not a set of 10. So yes, I believe they will be broken out of the mint's holders in large quantities.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@mt_msla said:
    Ok so....is my 2017 complete? I've got a proof, silver proof, ehanced uncirc, and now uncirc set. AM I DONE YET? Oh yeah... Those lib medals.... And special S ase's....

LOL. That's why it's easier to collect 1817 - it's clearer what belongs. And you don't have to worry about the Mint making a sudden November announcement that they've got a SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FINISH set coming out...details to follow

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

Then I recommend you just simply spend the nickles...I would like to start finding enhanced circulated coins in my change :) and all the bottom feeders need a P01 for their collections....

LOL. Did you see the Poor 1 Hawaii dollar that sold last week. I was amazed at the price. Of course, those barely circulated and it must have been a pocket piece or something. Rarer than an UNC! LOL.

I'll let you know when I start spending the nickels. It's actually not a bad way to drum up interest in coins. Imagine the confusion it will cause among the general retail population. Of course, every coin dealer in town will be mad at me as they start getting dozens of calls asking what this unusual nickel is worth!

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I believe you will see them sold as 10 individual coins far more often than as a set of 10.

Certainly you can re-assemble any set every issued by purchasing the individual components.

Where I'm going is that I believe the market will be for 10 individual coins, not a set of 10. So yes, I believe they will be broken out of the mint's holders in large quantities.

Oh, they'll definitely be broken out in large numbers. But the sets will continue to exist as sets.

On a tangent, I'm somewhat suspicious that this registry set nonsense is driving a general interest in slabbing all this stuff. FOREVER, there was a $50-$150 premium on proof gold eagles of any size. People used to DEMAND original packaging with COAs. Now, the premium is down to 35 BUCKS!!! 35 BUCKS ON A $1200 COIN!!! But the slabbed prices have stayed up.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@shorecoll said:

Flippers are NOT market makers. The market makers are actual wholesalers and retailers. "Flippers" are just trying to grab a limited commodity and turn it into an overnight profit. Many of them are just collectors who got lucky once. The market makers did NOT return any of the sets, they are still selling them. The "flippers" panicked when there was no initial profit and just sent them all back.

I consider the wholesaler & retailers as part of the "flippers" list of buyers." None will purchase anything if they want to remain in business, that doesn't have the potential of short term price appreciation. As such, it appears that we do agree on my original summation.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like about 1,200 sets being sold per day. so another 4.5 days, than 2nd batch of returns to sell

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

So, it appears that in the last 9 days the mint is getting them back at almost exactly the same rate that they are sending them out.

if true, who knows, that ain't where I want to be buying selling

• Options

I said 2 weeks 4 days ago. that will be close

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@coinpalice said:
    the mint is taking the hit on the returns, they have to pay shipping cost, but i'm sure ups gives them a discount

The mint only pays return shipping if there was something wrong with the coins. Most of these, the customer pays to ship back.

The Mint just approved my 1st return of 8 out of 10 sets. I got my refund coming in 4 to 5 days!!!! Now just 3 more to approve from my 2nd return in about 5 days.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@jwitten said:

@coinpalice said:
    the mint is taking the hit on the returns, they have to pay shipping cost, but i'm sure ups gives them a discount

The mint only pays return shipping if there was something wrong with the coins. Most of these, the customer pays to ship back.

The Mint just approved my 1st return of 8 out of 10 sets. I got my refund coming in 4 to 5 days!!!! Now just 3 more to approve from my 2nd return in about 5 days.

Why did you say you were returning them?

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can all take this to the bank...since I was very discerning and sent back 8 sets (and kept 12)...these will be worth a fortune one day!!! You can count on my ability to leave money on the sidewalk EVERY TIME!

:)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The dimes and the nickels are the hardest sell, especially the nickels. I can barely give them away.

The 2017-S Lincoln cents and Kennedy halves are the main drivers behind the mass breakup of the sets. The problem is that for every set that is broken up, the remaining coins are also released into the marketplace. It's not that there is no demand for dimes and nickels, it's that the supply of these coins is greater than current demand, when compared to the cent or half. If you set the price for the nickels and dimes low enough, they will likely fly out the door as fast as the most popular coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

Thanks for the continued updates

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:
    Another modern mint product that will be worth less than issue price a year or two from now..

This may be true,
    It's for my collection.

Worth less now.... dealer buy price in under 25.00

• Options

@bestday said:

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:
    Another modern mint product that will be worth less than issue price a year or two from now..

This may be true,
    It's for my collection.

And you think that strange? For a set that is still available from the Mint. Of course they will pay less for it...why pay more?

• Options
    edited August 16, 2017 11:47AM

@ECHOES said:

Jay Cutler formerly QB of the Chi Bears is suiting up for the Miami Dolphins. After Jay announced retirement from the NFL to announce games in the booth. Go figure that.

Point is, "Worth less now.", still available, Jay Cutler is like this set. LOL

• Options

still add to bag, buy the Jay Cutler of the USMint

• Options
    edited August 16, 2017 11:52AM

@BigA said:

@bestday said:

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:

This may be true,
    It's for my collection.

And you think that strange? For a set that is still available from the Mint. Of course they will pay less for it...why pay more?

Not strange, but if demand was high ,this set would trade above mint issue price ,and been sold out from mint

Many previous Mint products traded above issue price, last couple years .. not this 225th Enhanced set

• Options

Will this set mark the end of easy returns to the Mint ?

• Options

this set might be a new record for returns

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    this set might be a new record for returns

Maybe, The Mint will never tell ya.

• Options

@bestday said:

@BigA said:

@bestday said:

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:

This may be true,
    It's for my collection.

Not strange, but if demand was high ,this set would trade above mint issue price ,and been sold out from mint

Many previous Mint products traded above issue price, last couple years .. not this 225th Enhanced set

Depends on what you are using as comps. There are sets that were on sale for weeks and then only started appreciating afterwards. There are also sets that sold out in minutes and then spiked quickly and dropped below issue price in a matter of weeks or months.

This set will have legs. There are plenty of people who don't even know it exists yet who will need to add it to their sets. There are others who are aware of it but avoiding buying it because they don't realize how unique the finish is. The photos really understate the contrast in the finish. Once they realize how unique the cent is in the series, they will start buying.

• Options

May not be much, if any loss. They may also have sold 1000 of them at $50 and are just working off the leftovers, in which case they made money overall.

If they are a volume commercial shipper with rock bottom rates, they can probably ship sets and break even on a single unit at about $35. They probably make money on people buying 2 or 3 @$35 each. It's only the large purchases, oddly enough, where they are going to have trouble because of eBay fees. At $32, with PayPal payment, you're going to have about $2.70 in total costs.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of new cheerleaders around here lately. We've seen this play out numerous times on new mint issues. Pump and dump. Then all of a sudden only us Ole timers remain! Just sayin!!

• Options

I think the "enhanced" finish, even though attractive, is lowering demand for this set. Many series collectors see it as a "one-off" and don't consider it necessary to complete their sets. If the coins had been produced in the normal uncirculated finish (like the 1996-W Roosevelt dime, mintage 1.4 million, current price about $12) the sets would likely have flown off the Mint's shelves in minutes, there would have been very few returns, and the price of a set today would be a lot higher than $30.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    I think the "enhanced" finish, even though attractive, is lowering demand for this set. Many series collectors see it as a "one-off" and don't consider it necessary to complete their sets. If the coins had been produced in the normal uncirculated finish (like the 1996-W Roosevelt dime, mintage 1.4 million, current price about $12) the sets would likely have flown off the Mint's shelves in minutes, there would have been very few returns, and the price of a set today would be a lot higher than $30.

The "S" mint marks make them necessary to complete sets.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Understanding labels and grades for registry set players, realizing the cost of slabbing even without special labels, is anyone socking away unopened mint shipped boxes first strike or not. I have observed and expect high pops in high grades and plenty availability. Absent a special circumstance is there any reason to keep 'em sealed? I ordered/received an SP70 First Strike set for about half the cost of self submission.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

May not be much, if any loss. They may also have sold 1000 of them at $50 and are just working off the leftovers, in which case they made money overall.

If they are a volume commercial shipper with rock bottom rates, they can probably ship sets and break even on a single unit at about $35. They probably make money on people buying 2 or 3 @$35 each. It's only the large purchases, oddly enough, where they are going to have trouble because of eBay fees. At $32, with PayPal payment, you're going to have about $2.70 in total costs.

Has anyone consider the possibility of seller exchanging better coins between sets and leave the unappealing coins to sell at a bargain?

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:

This may be true,
    It's for my collection.

Honestly, this does not bother me in the slightest.
    I'm not a dealer but rather a collector.
    Look at past products, the Modern Commem's for example, most are below issue price and can be purchased as such. Some are doing quite well. I have a complete set of Modern Commem's in uncirculated, and once again don't care about prices.
    I am a collector.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

mcm sold several of these for 99 per set shortly after first sell-out

• Options

@bestday said:

@BigA said:

@bestday said:

@ECHOES said:

@grote15 said:

This may be true,
    It's for my collection.

@TurboSnail said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Has anyone consider the possibility of seller exchanging better coins between sets and leave the unappealing coins to sell at a bargain?

Pretty hard to see the difference between a 69 and a 70. I've cracked open 90 sets and very few coins had any discoloration and none had major issues.

• Options

@Overdate said:

I agree in the short run. Kind of like the 98 half. I think people are trying to convince themselves that they don't need it/want it. In the long run, I think many of those people will change their mind about that, especially if they start including it in registry sets, album pages, etc.

• Options

I could see this set at 50 dollars in 3 months. by then most of the dealer bulk will be sold and people will be looking for holiday gifts

• Options

@fivecents said:

Not all collectors agree, and those who don't won't buy the sets. "S" mint circulation strike quarters have been available since 2012 and many albums do not have spaces for them, and many collectors are content with just the "P" and "D" quarters. Hence the "S" quarters, with mintages between 1.1 and 1.7 million each, can often be obtained at double face or less.

• Options

there are people out there who are waiting to pick up the set below issue price too, that will never happen

• Options

@Overdate said:

@fivecents said:

Not all collectors agree, and those who don't won't buy the sets. "S" mint circulation strike quarters have been available since 2012 and many albums do not have spaces for them, and many collectors are content with just the "P" and "D" quarters. Hence the "S" quarters, with mintages between 1.1 and 1.7 million each, can often be obtained at double face or less.

I kind of agree with Overdate here. The "enhanced uncirculated" designation could entice people to put it in business strike or proof collections or to ignore it as neither a proof or an uncirculated coin. BUT, BUT, BUT, I still think that is a short term consideration in the market place.

I also don't thinks that's as crippling in the market as suggested. The still sell 400,000+ proof sets every year. This set is priced the same. While not EVERY proof set or proof coin collector will want these, only half need to to absorb the 225,000 sets. AND, in addition to that, there are series collectors that DON'T buy proof coins/sets but WILL put this coin in their sets.

It is hard to imagine that the eventual demand won't be higher than the mintage.

• Options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Kennedy-Silver-Dollar-Matte-Finish-Half-Dollar-Commemorative-US-Mint-Set-/371714964401?hash=item568bf03bb1:g:~YsAAOSwu4BV5NMZ

the 1998 kennedy matt 2 coin set is still strong selling at close to 200. correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe issue price was 59.99

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Kennedy-Silver-Dollar-Matte-Finish-Half-Dollar-Commemorative-US-Mint-Set-/371714964401?hash=item568bf03bb1:g:~YsAAOSwu4BV5NMZ

the 1998 kennedy matt 2 coin set is still strong selling at close to 200. correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe issue price was 59.99

Yes, $59.99. Sales were open for 6 weeks. 62,000 were sold. And here it is 20 years later as a $200 coin - which really is not a better fit in date/mintmark sets than the current issue.

http://news.coinupdate.com/kennedy-collectors-set-with-matte-finish-half-dollar-3255/

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    I could see this set at 50 dollars in 3 months. by then most of the dealer bulk will be sold and people will be looking for holiday gifts

Sounds like wishful thinking ..holding too many 225th sets .? .Too many sets issued to buyers ,unless some error coins appear from set.. .. mint set doomed

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    there are people out there who are waiting to pick up the set below issue price too, that will never happen

It's a $29.95 set....and they are "waiting" to maybe save a buck or two? I could see if it was a gold dime/quarter or half but a $29.95 set?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file