Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2013 American Buffalo Reverse Proof(BV1) Thread***......Post your order numbers here

Comments

• Options
    Can this ebay auction be legit? Seller has 0 feedback...

2013 W $50 Gold REVERSE PROOF BUFFALO ANA/CHICAGO LABEL PROOF NGC PF70See original listing

Item condition:New
    Ended:Aug 30, 2013 03:44:18 PDT

Price:US $850.00

No additional import charges at delivery!This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more
    Shipping:FREE Standard Shipping
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know the current population report of the graded PCGS70 Rev Proof Buffalos? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can this ebay auction be legit? Seller has 0 feedback...

2013 W $50 Gold REVERSE PROOF BUFFALO ANA/CHICAGO LABEL PROOF NGC PF70See original listing

No additional import charges at delivery!This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more
    Shipping:FREE Standard Shipping >>

Not legit. Reported to ebay and actual coin owner notified.

$850 listing in question

Pics stolen from this ebay listing

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can this ebay auction be legit? Seller has 0 feedback...

Shipping:FREE Standard Shipping >>

Not legit. Reported to ebay and actual coin owner notified.

$850 listing in question

Pics stolen from this ebay listing >>

Good job spying those stolen pictures!
  • Options
    The one thing low feedback scammers never seem to understand is that paypal will hold funds (until proof of delivery) on a seller with less than 100 feedback as a seller. These scammers aren't getting away with anything and only tieing up buyer money during a claim process. One thing I have learned is the more money involved the longer paypal/ebay drag it out. I didn't even know ebay had a "high value" resolution department until recently ($4k+ pruchase).

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anybody know the current population report of the graded PCGS70 Rev Proof Buffalos? image >>

Only for the ANA ones on the regular population page and it hasn't been updated since last Monday ANA RP Buffalo Population. No report for the non-ANA ones yet. Might not be till Tuesday because of the Monday holiday.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totals for the FS 70 Flag labels is: 332
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Thanks Kudbegud and OPA.image Thank you Paulyaces76 for the update as well . image

So what is the final consensus with regards to this coins popularity and final mintage? Do you think total sales will reach 50K by the end of day on Sept. 5th?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
  • Options
    This morning #'s are 449 69's 624 70's. If these go under 50% 70's I would think it will help the value a lot! Once people can't pre-check them, looks like a lot of 69's will be coming out of the mint!
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Excellent summary from US Mint Blog on the Reverse Proof Buffalo

US Mint Blog - Reverse Proof Buffalo
  • Options

<< <i>Excellent summary from US Mint Blog on the Reverse Proof Buffalo

US Mint Blog - Reverse Proof Buffalo >>

image Do you think were going to get one more price increase on this before the sale ends?
  • Options

<< <i>

image Do you think were going to get one more price increase on this before the sale ends? >>

I can't predict the gold price but it seems to have just started to drop. It may be possible for the Buffalo price to drop before the sales end.
    NOOKER does an excellent job of analyzing US Mint precious metal prices and assessing the US Mint pricing.

Also, I checked the PCGS population of the Reverse Buffalo Coins by checking the certification numbers:
    o ANA: PR69: 272 PR70: 292
    o Non-ANA: PR69: 177 PR70: 332
    There is probably such a flurry of activity that the numbers might be changing on an almost real time basis.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image Do you think were going to get one more price increase on this before the sale ends? >>

I can't predict the gold price but it seems to have just started to drop. It may be possible for the Buffalo price to drop before the sales end.
    NOOKER does an excellent job of analyzing US Mint precious metal prices and assessing the US Mint pricing.

Also, I checked the PCGS population of the Reverse Buffalo Coins by checking the certification numbers:
    o ANA: PR69: 272 PR70: 292
    o Non-ANA: PR69: 177 PR70: 332
    There is probably such a flurry of activity that the numbers might be changing on an almost real time basis. >>

They seemed to have updated the population report early this time. It's been Monday previously.
    The Syria situation could cause the spot price to jump again but probable not next week. Yes, there could be a buffalo price reduction in which case there might be a last minute buying flurry.
    Just for grins I checked the non FS Rev PF Buffalo population report and WOW, there are some. In fact more than FS. This is very odd to me. Any ideas why?
    520050 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR .9999 Fine Gold 68=1, 69=449, 70=624, total=1,074

• Options

<< <i> In fact more than FS. This is very odd to me. Any ideas why? >>

Submitters saving on the $18 FS fee.
  • Options

<< <i>

Submitters saving on the $18 FS fee. >>

I understand and in fact I have declined FS before, but, in this case....isn't the higher future value for FS over non-FS greater than $18?
    To be included in this first number report wasn't there an effort to get the order in the first hour or so, head of the line so to speak and then quickly send them off for grading with hardly any delay between UPS delivery and sending to PCGS for again head of the line? Seems like a missed opportunity.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up. Fantastic summary! Good point in the summary regarding the potential for the regular oroof . I SO hope that they don't do another RP buff!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Submitters saving on the $18 FS fee. >>

I understand and in fact I have declined FS before, but, in this case....isn't the higher future value for FS over non-FS greater than $18?
    To be included in this first number report wasn't there an effort to get the order in the first hour or so, head of the line so to speak and then quickly send them off for grading with hardly any delay between UPS delivery and sending to PCGS for again head of the line? Seems like a missed opportunity. >>

Yes indeed a missed opportunity for like 99.8% of us. Those that got inline first at the show and submitted their coins with the special ANA label made the most.
  • Options

<< <i> Do you think were going to get one more price increase on this before the sale ends?

>>

With only last Thurs & Fri to go on so far, the gold close average is $1399.50. If it stays at this level, we could very well be close to a price INCREASE on Wednesday(if $1400 is maintained), surely leading to many last minute sales before Wed, but perhaps not so on Wed & Thurs Sept 4-5.

Nooker
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << In fact more than FS. This is very odd to me. Any ideas why? >>

The ANA submissions were NOT First Strikes and are included in those numbers. This would be my guess.
  • Options

<< <i>I understand and in fact I have declined FS before, but, in this case....isn't the higher future value for FS over non-FS greater than $18? To be included in this first number report wasn't there an effort to get the order in the first hour or so, head of the line so to speak and then quickly send them off for grading with hardly any delay between UPS delivery and sending to PCGS for again head of the line? Seems like a missed opportunity. >> >>

In most cases, especially when a large number of moderns are submitted during a First Strike window, PCGS CS will call you and ask if you want First Strike labeling. I think you guys are misreading the numbers - again, remember that the ANA slabs are not First Strike and would certainly be in the first numbers reported in the census.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I understand and in fact I have declined FS before, but, in this case....isn't the higher future value for FS over non-FS greater than $18? To be included in this first number report wasn't there an effort to get the order in the first hour or so, head of the line so to speak and then quickly send them off for grading with hardly any delay between UPS delivery and sending to PCGS for again head of the line? Seems like a missed opportunity. >> >>

In most cases, especially when a large number of moderns are submitted during a First Strike window, PCGS CS will call you and ask if you want First Strike labeling. I think you guys are misreading the numbers - again, remember that the ANA slabs are not First Strike and would certainly be in the first numbers reported in the census. >>

I might agree, however, there are separate numbers and description for each coin:
    520265 = 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR Chicago ANA 2013 - total graded=565
    520050 = (non ANA) 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR .9999 Fine Gold (not FS) - total graded=1,074
    520051 = (non ANA) 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR First Strike .9999 Fine Gold - total graded=509
    So each number stands on it's own and isn't combined in with any other number. And I recognize that any that fell below the customers minimum grade were not included but may have been slabbed with a generic designation of Mint State.
    I have had CS call and ask if I wanted FS designation. This would only increase the FS numbers. I would expect the FS numbers to be higher considering how early this is in the grading process for these Buffalo's. Sorts like going to the time and effort to be first in line when concert tickets go on sale and then asking for 75 rows back behind a pillar.

• Options

<< <i>I might agree, however, there are separate numbers and description for each coin:
    520265 = 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR Chicago ANA 2013 - total graded=565
    520050 = (non ANA) 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR .9999 Fine Gold (not FS) - total graded=1,074
    520051 = (non ANA) 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR First Strike .9999 Fine Gold - total graded=509
    So each number stands on it's own and isn't combined in with any other number. And I recognize that any that fell below the customers minimum grade were not included but may have been slabbed with a generic designation of Mint State. >>

Good point. I stand corrected. Interesting to say the least...
  • Options

<< <i>And I recognize that any that fell below the customers minimum grade were not included but may have been slabbed with a generic designation of Mint State. >>

Most likely not slabbed and returned to the owner so they could be put on the open market at "raw."

So, who's the lucky SOB who got the only ANA PR68?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And I recognize that any that fell below the customers minimum grade were not included but may have been slabbed with a generic designation of Mint State. >>

Most likely not slabbed and returned to the owner so they could be put on the open market at "raw."

So, who's the lucky SOB who got the only ANA PR68? >>

I was remembering those 5oz pucks that had generic MS slabs. You are probably correct that those that didn't hit the minimum were returned to stock as raw.
    That lone 68 would be a unique one of wouldn't it.

• Options
    Kudbegud

I read the PCGS Population Report differently than you have.
    I view 520050 (all reverse proof Buffalos labels) = 520051 (First Strike Reverse Proof Buffalos) + 520265 (ANA labeled Reverse Proof Buffalo)
    If you add up the numbers, the totals add up to 520050.

Based upon this reading, we don't know the number of non-First Strike RP Buffalos, other than the ANA RP Buffalos.
    I checked the listings and sales on eBAY and can't find a RP Buffalo which isn't ANA labeled or First Strike.

This would seem logical. We are still in the First Strike Period (Deadline = 9/19) so I would think PCGS customer service
    is asking submitters if they want First Strike. Anecdotal evidences suggests that buyers pay more for a First Strike coin, given the choice.
    For the $18 first strike fee, the submitter would seem to enhance the resale value of their coin.

PCGS Population Report - Buffalo Reverse Proof
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems the ANA coins have the legs on holding price gains .. Both Early Release NGC and PCGS 69s have dropped below Mint price on EBAY... Yes even Ebay had sales of 1st Strike PCGS 69s at 1660.00
    Once again MCM proved to be the smart sellers of the REverse Proof Gold Buffs.... much like the 2011 Silver Anniv set
  • Options

<< <i>Kudbegud

I read the PCGS Population Report differently than you have.
    I view 520050 (all reverse proof Buffalos labels) = 520051 (First Strike Reverse Proof Buffalos) + 520265 (ANA labeled Reverse Proof Buffalo)
    If you add up the numbers, the totals add up to 520050.

Based upon this reading, we don't know the number of non-First Strike RP Buffalos, other than the ANA RP Buffalos.
    I checked the listings and sales on eBAY and can't find a RP Buffalo which isn't ANA labeled or First Strike.

This would seem logical. We are still in the First Strike Period (Deadline = 9/19) so I would think PCGS customer service
    is asking submitters if they want First Strike. Anecdotal evidences suggests that buyers pay more for a First Strike coin, given the choice.
    For the $18 first strike fee, the submitter would seem to enhance the resale value of their coin.

PCGS Population Report - Buffalo Reverse Proof >>

That is very interesting. Good catch. It's possible that there are no 520050 numbered buffalos graded leaving only the FS and ANA. I will keep watch and see if after the FS window the numbers diverge.
    BTW: Try this LINK, click on the little + sign next to 520050 and it will open the grid to all three 2013 Reverse PF Buffalo numbers.

• Options
    520050 is the parent # and no coins issued under that #
    520051 & 520265 are the actual # for the coins so far. I'm assuming that a non first strike # will receive a different # that isn't already shown. The "parent" will reflect the combined totals. Most PCGS coin # 's are similar.
  • Options
    IF theres a price drop come Wed. Anybody here buying last minute?
  • Options

<< <i>IF theres a price drop come Wed. Anybody here buying last minute? >>

Gold would have to AVERAGE $1316 for the next 3 days for a price drop to occur. It's currently trading at $1390 on the Sydney exchange.

Nooker
  • Options

<< <i>520050 is the parent # and no coins issued under that #
    520051 & 520265 are the actual # for the coins so far. I'm assuming that a non first strike # will receive a different # that isn't already shown. The "parent" will reflect the combined totals. Most PCGS coin # 's are similar. >>

Interesting.
    I called for the numbers 2 weeks or so ago and was told the 50 number was the regular non-first strike number, 51 was the first strike, 265 was the ANA one. I haven't really looked before so can't say I've seen a "parent" number so I believe you.

• Options

Out of the gate at $1,640 would have been the time to snag one. Can't afford it right now and probably a good thing. It looks spiffy, but the mintage is getting a little on the high side.

• Options
    The cut-off for PCGS First Strike Labeling is September 19th.

You either have to get your coin to PCGS before the 20th (the 20th is too late) or you have to send it to PCGS in the U.S. Mint original, unopened box with the shipment date on it before the 20th, or the tracker number has to show that it was sent from the U.S. Mint before the 20th.

http://www.pcgs.com/services/firststrike.html
  • Options

<< <i>The cut-off for PCGS First Strike Labeling is September 19th.

You either have to get your coin to PCGS before the 20th (the 20th is too late) or you have to send it to PCGS in the U.S. Mint original, unopened box with the shipment date on it before the 20th, or the tracker number has to show that it was sent from the U.S. Mint before the 20th.

http://www.pcgs.com/services/firststrike.html >>

I believe the mint receipt inside of the box also shows the ship date. PCGS sees this when they open the mint sealed box.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Recent completed non ANA FS 70's eBay auctions, are settling in the $2200 range...Considerable drop from just 10 days ago.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the new #s are posted do you say below 45,000 or above 45,000?

I say below.
  • Options
    Below

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>520050 is the parent # and no coins issued under that #
    520051 & 520265 are the actual # for the coins so far. I'm assuming that a non first strike # will receive a different # that isn't already shown. The "parent" will reflect the combined totals. Most PCGS coin # 's are similar. >>

Interesting.
    I called for the numbers 2 weeks or so ago and was told the 50 number was the regular non-first strike number, 51 was the first strike, 265 was the ANA one. I haven't really looked before so can't say I've seen a "parent" number so I believe you. >>

I was only partially correct..coin no. 520050 is reserved also for non FS numbers, but none have been graded. You will have to do some math to determine what those numbers are, by subtracting the totals from the other 2 numbers.
  • Options
    This is what PCGS is showing. Everyone should have at least a PCGS.com subscription - I think it is only $49 a year - cheap skates image

The first PCGS number, 520050, is the roll up number of all 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR - so there are 1074 graded and only 624 of them are PR70's.

Normally there would be an entry right after the 520050 with no number, just the word "Base" - this is the number non-FS, Non-anything coins graded - for now there are no plain PR70 coins graded as they all qualifiy for First Strike and everyone pays the extra to get the label.

The 520051 and 520265 PCGS numbers are the subsets of 520050 and their numbers added up to the 520050 number.

Got It ???? Only 58% of the coins graded are making the PR70 grade.

$50 Gold Buffalos, PR

520050 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR .9999 Fine Gold PR
    68 69 70 Total
    1 449 624 1,074

520051 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR First Strike .9999 Fine Gold PR
    68 69 70 Total
    177 332 509

520265 2013-W $50 American Buffalo Rev PR Chicago ANA 2013 PR
    68 69 70 Total
    1 272 292 565

• Options

<< <i>

Gold would have to AVERAGE $1316 for the next 3 days for a price drop to occur. It's currently trading at $1390 on the Sydney exchange.

Nooker >>

with today's AM close ($1391.25), the three day average is $1396.75. Unless the next two days average $1405, there will be no increase.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nooker >>

with today's AM close ($1392.25), the three day average is $1396.75. Unless the next two days average $1405, there will be no increase. >>

if the average is into the next pricing level, but the Wed PM fix is not, then there is no price increase
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Wondering what the group-think is on these at this point?

Especially since the backorder ship date is Sept 27 (after the 1st strike cutoff?)

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Wondering what the group-think is on these at this point? >>

All I know is that it took a little while for the UHR to get going. If I remember correctly, after the first few months it was a slow, steady climb. I realize that the Buff is not the same, but it does have some similarities (provided it is a one-off issue)...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As group think goes, kind sir... My view is the same: Time will tell and time is running out !

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it all depends on whether the US mint makes the Reverese proof Buffalo again (and again and again like the reverse proof ASEs !) If this coin is unique, I think it will appreciate in value similar to the RP AGE
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Getting here a little late in the game after a bit of a hiatus, glad to see some familiar faces are still here.

Seems like a decent enough coin. Figure sub 45k mintage. not low, but not horrible for a one off, especially for a popular design. But if the first strike window is closed, and possibly late orders from Mint get filled using returns... maybe it's better to just buy slabbed (I see $1850 buy-it-now prices on 1st strike PF69) than risk getting a non-first strike dud for $1740?

Not convinced there's really much meat on the bone here for flippers, but as a collector I still like it.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>IF theres a price drop come Wed. Anybody here buying last minute?

Nooker

with today's AM close ($1391.25), the three day average is $1396.75. Unless the next two days average $1405, there will be no increase. >>

For a $50 jump in price, the AM close tomorrow needs to be $1418.50 or higher (and the PM close must be $1400 or higher)

today's AM close (same as yesterday $1391.25) makes the 4 day average $1395.38. The PM close did jump up to $1399, so who knows what might happen tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>48 hours ago, my order was:
    Order 8/8/13 @ 12:18 - ship date now shows 8/26
    Order 8/8/13 @ 1:07 -ship date shows 9/8

24 hours ago:
    Order 8/8/13 @ 12:18 - in stock & reserved (no more cancel button), & credit card has pending charge showing online.
    Order 8/8/13 @ 1:07 -ship date shows 8/26

Now:
    Order 8/8/13 @ 12:18 - shipped 8/22/13
    Order 8/8/13 @ 1:07 -ship date shows 8/23 >>

my order on first day, 8/8/13 @ 1:07 finally shipped today 9/3/13

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file